Forum › Posts by Hoky

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Rena is having some trouble remembering where she's from.

"eejit", "ye ain't" --> American South
"bampot", "blootered" --> Scotland
"hella" --> Northern California
"feck" --> Ireland

The only explanation: Rena is an international spy who forgets her cover story when she gets flustered.

Hahahaha well said. :D

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Note, that's if the scanlator is on Dynasty that is. ;)

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

This translation is making me want to throw things at the screen. What's with all the cussing? And the use of weird words? I feel like this was localized by a 7th grader. I appreciate the effort. But this is really really rough. At the very least try to follow the style and cadence of the words used in the previous chapter. This really just kinda craps on the original material instead of allowing that original material to communicate itself to the reader.

I understand the challenge of localizing something. On one hand you don't want to be a robotic word-for-word translation. On the other hand, you don't want to obfuscate the original material. This obfuscates the original material. I'd be happy to help whoever did this to fix these errors. I'm on the Discord server (same name too).

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

No offense to the translators (depending on the answer to my question), but is the original Japanese title intentionally ungrammatical (or idiomatic)? Because the proper English syntax is “She and I are lovers.”

(I say “idiomatic,” because casual English speakers might well say it the other way—i.e., the way it is the story—more often than not.)

I'm with you on this one 110%. I see this grammatical error constantly in scanlations and it drives me nuts. There's another point in this particular one-shot where a similar mistake is made. I think a lot of scanlators don't seem to understand the difference between rote translation and localization. I always say to go with the localization. Use proper grammar even if the direct translation doesn't. A good example of this... "Dear My Teacher." I hate that title. Even if it's in Engrish, it looks horribly stupid. Wouldn't it be better to switch it to "My Dear Teacher?" Again, this is a taste thing.

At the very least if we're talking about content in a manga and not the title, get the grammar right. I'm tired of "Me and Midori are going to the amusement park." It needs to be "Midori and I are going to the amusement park." Sheesh.

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

This one confused the hell out of me. Not because of the suicide. But because this woman claims to not remember any of it after she wakes up from her dream. It kinda blunted the impact of the trauma making this effort seem a bit ham-fisted by the author. It's too bad because this could've been a really good story!

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

It's been 2 years... :( I love yuri manga involving a mangaka! I so hope someone takes this back up!

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Also, a major thank you to Halmoni for translating Fluttering Feelings for us. And thank you for posting the translated obituary. I really enjoyed your work and I share your pain with this tragic loss. I hope you'll be willing to do more manwha translations in the future because I think you're really talented.

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I loved that comic. I was a huge fan of SSamba and I'm really sad to hear she passed away. It's a shame she wasn't able to continue on with Fluttering Feelings but I'm happy with the wonderful story she was able to tell up until she couldn't work anymore. This is a sad day for me and for all of her fans. Thank you so very much, SSamba. Rest in peace.

Hoky
Citrus discussion 17 Feb 15:51
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Even if it does become a happy ending... I just feel like the relationship didn't do anything to get there. Saburouta had an entire series to make it believable and she failed miserably at it. I'd be cool with this if there were say, 3-4 volumes left to go. But with only one 4 chapter volume left? Good luck making that work.

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 3:51PM

Hoky
Citrus discussion 17 Feb 15:33
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

It has not ended yet though. The series is ongoing

Hey, if the author decides to continue it and actually allow the relationship to change and grow, that'd be awesome. The reason I'm so disappointed is because I really like the premise, the characters, and the art. I'm just having a hard time seeing it after reading what was essentially a "good bye we're ending this now" chapter.

Hoky
Citrus discussion 17 Feb 15:25
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

This was a terrible way of ending the whole story. It reeks of the author getting bored with it (or not knowing what to do with it) and moving on. Sure, Japan (like many other countries including my own) has a thing against gays and lesbians. And Japan has a hard-on for family inheritance of businesses and institutions. But that's not what bothers me.

What bothers me is how we got to this place. The story ends not with a bang but a whimper. It was a story of romantic and sexual tension between two characters that saw no movement toward release and resolution. It just... ended. That's weak storytelling. And really, this has been my feeling throughout the series. I had a feeling it was going to end like this. I really hoped it wouldn't. The premise of it was really great. The art is fantastic. The girls in it are absolutely beautiful to look at. But this inability to allow the relationship between the two of them to grow or change is what really killed it for me. Sure, their own personal feelings would change and whatnot. But that's what makes the whole thing feel so artificial. Relationships are like people. They grow and change right alongside the two people who are in them. And in this story, it never did. And it just felt very wrong.

Soooo... Yeah. This is a very disappointing series for me. You can take apart what I say and tell me how wrong I am if you like. But that's how I feel about it.

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 3:29PM

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Hokuto: There's still been no updates on her blog. So who knows? :( I was hoping she'd say something because of the Winter Olympics going on in her country!

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

One other thing that occurred to me about Aki.... I think there's a personal story that explains Aki's bizarre behavior that we'll hear eventually. I don't know of this for sure, of course. But it does seem like something that the mangaka will tell us about at a later date.

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Seriously what the hell is wrong with Aki? Hanaka very clearly wants to get stronger but she has no confidence because she's new to this. That has absolutely shit all to do with her determination. And shitting one someone who's new to a skill for somehow not being good enough is one of the shittiest things you can do.

I said in Batoto before it recently imploded that if it was my martial arts (or, really, anything else) club, she would have already been gone before any of this could happen. What, three people she'd already intimidated into leaving?! If she wants to have moronic bullshit rules about who gets to learn and who doesn't, she can start her own club. If she's going to be in MY club, she treats everyone with respect or the door is over there.

To be fair to the mangaka, the reason this was done was to introduce a new character and to add tension between her and Hanaka. I agree with you wholeheartedly that at any martial arts club someone who behaves like Aki would quickly be kicked out. But I think the story does ask us to suspend a little bit of disbelief. And considering how much I'm enjoying this series (I didn't think I would at first!) I'm very willing to do this. To really ruin it for me the story would have to get dumb. And it hasn't. At all. I really like the characters, I like the plot line of a wimpy shrimp of a girl who happens to have skills she didn't know she possessed. I like the fights so far. And I even like Aki as an obstacle on Hanaka's quest for strength.

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Here's the URL to her blog. Let's hope it doesn't think it's spam this time... Stupid forum software!

http://blog.naver.com/PostList.nhn?from=postList&blogId=ssambasoul&currentPage=1

She still posts there so this is the best place to know what's going on with her!

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Okay actually that's not true. Ssambasoul posted on her blog August 21, 2017. This is translated via Google Translate but it's actually pretty legible! It's a long post so bear with me:

Hello there. ^^
There are many cloudy days. Rain often comes.
It's still raining right now.
It was terribly hot every day and it seemed like it was when it was even a little cold yesterday morning;
Actually, I am going to wear long sleeves a few days ago.
The weather also confiscated this face in the morning like this, but it is human mind too ... Tsutsumi;

The night before yesterday, the rain was so heavy that I could not hear the TV because of the rain.
I lay down to sleep, but suddenly I had a lot of thoughts and I could not sleep well.
So it took me a while to get to sleep. Nowadays, the day is not even hot, so I was sleeping well soon
When I was young, I often went to the hospital because I was weak. I was so skeletal.
As I started to go to school, I started hobby and exercise, and from that time my body started to come alive.
After I became healthy, did I ever go to the hospital?
I've never been to the hospital even though I have a cold; I was just tired of being sick ...;
I did not even dream about going to the hospital or the hospital.
He said health is not an overconfidence.

If I can think and judge life simply by dichotomy, how comfortable.
If I continue to think like this, I will only have a lot of trouble. But I am not easy.
Living is not just about dying or living. How many branches are included in your life?
What if I choose this, what if I choose that, what I want to do
It seems to be really cruel. I really do not want to make a round trip. I feel like a squirrel ...
Mora Thorium is given every month for a month and it makes it harder and tiresome.
After that time, I will be pushed out of a certain orbit.
Maybe it's scary and frightening, and it seems like I have not been able to say it correctly until now.
But I can not enjoy everything, and I understand what it means to be different.
I am more urgent than I am and many people will be thirsty for standard treatment.
I have my own circumstances and my own beliefs.
I can not explain it to everyone and I can not understand it.
I do not regret that I will be wrong in a few months. A lot of doubts and swaying in others' words and gaze
It also seems to me that I have to overcome myself and be patient.
I do not think I've been so worried in my life. I'm going to die and live.
I'm doing everything I want to say.
Actually, I am also a chiropractor? I was hoping to write the same thing all the time; I bought a laptop.
I have a lot of blogs like this. But it's not easy ...
I just had a lot of work these days. I do not even have to say anything.
I am also sorry to have spoken about this kind of bullshit; Anyway ..
I really do not know what life is all about.
I can not help but feel like watching the fire on the TV and closing it.
I watched without seeing the thought; I'm working on it and I'm Sifda;
I do not have anything to draw right now. I'm afraid I have a lot of blah blah I live life anyway!
Gosh; What are you saying;
I have to write this. Sometimes I leave a message in my regards.
I am always sorry for not showing you anything else.
I hope someday it will be a good day and thank you all the time!
When it comes to rain, I have to go out and walk a little bit. ㅋ Then I will come again ~

So she's still alive, thankfully! I'd post the url to her blog but the system thinks I'm posting spam. I'll try again with the blog url in another post...

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I wonder if there'll be something announced to her fans if the worst happens. No news isn't very encouraging.

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Yuri Girl I'm sorry you had to go through such a harrowing experience but I'm freakin' thrilled to know you've beaten it! Seriously, there's no shame in talking about that sort of thing here. It's not like there's a lot going on while poor Ssamba's still ailing (but seemingly doing better). Heck if I had beaten cancer I'd be yelling from the rooftops about it until everyone went deaf. But that's just me. ;) Also, love your work!

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Sigh, I was going to gush about how this is the first new series in awhile that I really thoroughly enjoy (the girls just seem so real and they're really really cute!) but then I read about a hiatus.... ;_;

Why is it so much great yuri gets dropped, stopped, or... sigh. Well, I've really enjoyed what I've read up until now. I hope this series gets continued sometime in the future. It's REALLY GOOD!!!!!!

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Well yeah, except I don't speak Korean. ;) If I wrote her in English I don't think it'd end up being read.

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I also think the reason the US was chosen for the story is because the mangaka actually spent time living here. Also, those countries you mentioned are having a similar surge of far right folks with the same bigotry and nonsense that made up the 2016 election of Donald J Trump. I understand some of you are pissed off at my country. Hell, I'm pissed off at it too. But don't think for a second that Europe's any better. Far right candidates are running and are likely to win all over Europe. Poland was just the beginning. France seems to be going this way next. Look at what the UK did to itself with Brexit. You can't really point out any one country or region of the world as being a bastion of perfection. So yeah, I'm fine with the mangaka picking the US. We're not perfect. But we engage with Japan more than most other countries and like it or not, what happens here is oftentimes reported worldwide.

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

So we're nearing the end of November and nobody's said anything. Just wondering if anyone heard anything from SSamba. Is she doing alright?

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

It's really neat to see a manga that so follows the saga of same sex marriage not only in the US but right here where I live in California. Hell, I even live in LA. ;) I remember so well Prop 8 and how so freaking depressed I felt when it passed. And then how elated I felt when it was soundly defeated in the Supreme Court in 2013. And then of course the big case, Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015. So many Japanese folks, especially mangaka, think they know my country and they usually get it completely wrong. But this artist really understands what it's like to live here and the difficulties of obtaining a permanent visa, especially when part of a same sex couple. I couldn't read much of the last page (given I can only read some kana) but it appeared to be a history of gay marriage in California and the US. I'm definitely going to be paying a lot of attention to this story and I'm curious to see where it goes! It's not often to see a Japanese person really understand my home and relate it back to a Japanese audience!

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

What drew me to this series was how real the characters are. They don't know they have feelings for each other and it's not immediate. It grows over time. They're not even aware of them and yet you can see the attraction there between the two. I just think it's a really unique way of telling a yuri story and that's why I enjoyed it so much. While I know the news is grim, I sincerely hope and pray that ssamba returns to health and can finish the story. Both for us as fans and for her as an artist. It'd be an incredible shame if we lost someone this talented at such a young age.

Hoky
Citrus discussion 12 Aug 02:23
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

My biggest complaint is the horrible translation of this chapter. There are some phrases in there I've had to stop and decipher. It's practically illegible. Good lord someone needs to do a re-edit. Preferably someone who speaks English as their first language. It's too distracting for me to read and take seriously.