Forum › Chinese Yuri Novels

Rsz_0642646002c7e23a9b0c50ea92cc124d_2
joined Jul 26, 2020

Since Female General Eldest Princess (FGEP for short) has finally made it's way on here, why not make a topic for Chinese yuri? If you enjoy reading without pictures, then you should check them out.

Link for translations from novelupdates:
Shoujo Ai Tag
Yuri Tag

You can use this website by clicking on the story title and then going through the release links.

Links for translations by melts for the FGEP author's works:
Female General Eldest Princess aka FGEP
Clear and Muddy Loss of Love aka JWQS
My Wandering Spirit Lady aka MWSL
Matrilocal Marriage aka RUZHUI

FGEP and JWQS are completed while RUZHUI is currently being written by the author and being translated as it comes out. MWSL is completed but the translator is taking a break on translating it currently. I'm assuming she's focusing on RUZHUI because she's more interested in it.

FGEP is set in ancient China and focuses on the story of Lin Wanyue and Li Xian. Wanyue is the last survivor of her village that was annihilated by the Huns. She takes on her twin brother's identity to join the military to avenge her family by aiming to kill an equal number of Huns as villagers were killed. Li Xian is the eldest legitimate princess of the Kingdom Li and sister of the Crown Prince. Her story starts when her mother, the Empress, dies and she has to figure out how to keep her and her brother alive in the imperial palace. Her story ends up intertwined with Wanyue and how she ends up becoming a general. Romance also blooms but it's slowburn with Lin Wanyue falling in love with Li Xian first.

It's a really good novel with a lot of political intrigue and military exploits. The romance is... a focus, but there's a lot more plot going on than romance. It's slowburn, and there's a lot of emotional hurt/comfort, but overall it's a really well-written novel. Also Lin Wanyue and Li Xian are both extremely sexy characters, like they are super cool.

JWQS is also set in ancient China and focuses on the story of Qiyan Agula (Qi Yan) and Nangong Jingnu. Agula was the prince of the grass plains of a tribe called Chengli Tribe. Jingnu is the youngest and only lawful daughter of the Emperor. A war between the two kingdoms turned Agula into an orphan and she vowed to take revenge on her tribe and kingdom by infiltrating the Emperor's court and causing chaos as a spy. Unfortunately, she ended up being married to Jingnu as her prince consort or "fuma," a position that wouldn't allow her to meddle with court affairs. The rest of the story is how she plans out her revenge while being shackled as a fuma and the love story between her and Jingnu that spans a decade.

This story is essentially enemies to/and lovers and is extremely dark compared to FGEP. There's still a lot of political intrigue, and the plot is much much bigger this time. There's a lot of players involved and a lot of events that happen. It's very well written but you really should avoid it if dark content isn't your cup of tea. There's betrayal, war violence, slavery, genocide, and a lot of dark stuff that goes on. Honestly, the romance is bittersweet for me because I've always been on Agula's side in this since I think she's justified in doing whatever she decides to to avenge her people who were genocided and enslaved. The romance is still good, but compared to FGEP where I liked Lin Wanyue and Li Xian fairly equally, I ended up liking Agula way more so I feel like she deserves better lol.

MWSL is set in modern times but with the addition of spirits and ghosts. The story focuses on Su Momo and Lang Xingchen. Su Momo is a recent university graduate who was a law student that recently woke up from a coma. She meets a female ghost called Lang Xingchen after she woke up who has unfulfilled wishes. Xingchen ended up negotiating with her to allow her to hang around Su Momo until she fulfills her wishes. There's a lot of mystery surrounding the exact reason why Momo was in a coma and why Xingchen decided to hang around Momo. The rest of the story explores those reasons as Xingchen helps resolve cases with Momo at her new job as a lawyer.

I didn't finish reading this because the translations are on hiatus, but it's by Please Don't Laugh so it's automatically good. It's pretty heartbreaking so far so I am looking forward to seeing how the author turns this situation into a happy ending. It's ghost yuri after all.

RUZHUI is set in a parallel world with an ancient China type background but it's even more sexist than normal. The story focuses on Yun An and Lin Buxian. Yun An is a time traveler from modern times who is participating in a program to record history and ends up in the Yan Kingdom. Lin Buxian is the female heiress to the great Lin family of merchants. As a woman, she's in a predicament because of how restrictive this society is towards women. The solution would have been to take someone as a son-in-law but the childhood friend she was relying on ended up as the son-in-law of a minister and planned to take her as a concubine. That's tantamount to a life of abuse and dishonor, so her family ends up opening a birthday banquet to take someone in as a son-in-law from the guests there. Yun An gets roped into it and now they are intertwined with each other as husband and wife.

So this story is ongoing and to clarify, Yun An is cross-dressing, same as Lin Wanyue and Qiyan Agula. The difference is that Yun An immediately lets Buxian know that she's actually a woman. It's a really fun story so far and is much lighter compared to FGEP and JWQS. There's still the impending doom that could befall the Lin family, but I'm pretty sure that'll be solved in time. The romance here feels more... pure(?) compared to with both FGEP and JWQS so there's also that. Compared to the emotional hurt that happens in those previous novels, this one feels like a breath of fresh air.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check them out after I'm done with FGEP. I'm currently at chapter 116; it really is a slooooow burn but I like these types of stories so it's all good. I did skip ahead a bit, but I've been enjoying it more than I expected considering how the romance isn't even the main central theme. Still really looking forward to that scene Ticcy drew :P.

joined Jul 26, 2020

I have a loooot of recommendations tbh. I've been reading MTL or machine translations for stuff instead of waiting for fan translations so I have more recommendations that aren't on that site. Chinese MTL is surprisingly readable so if you don't want to wait for translations, then that's another alternative.

All of these novels are found on jjwxc, a site that hosts web novels. How I've been finding stuff is going to their yuri tag and then clicking through the novels and picking which ones have interesting summaries.

1. Check through here and use google translate to find something you like. I usually check and see if it has a medal first before reading it since I only started doing this last week. Yuri
  2. Copy+paste the name of the novel into google and check and see if there's a sto.cx or shubaow link. Then you can google translate the whole novel from there.

If you really like the novels, you should make a jjwxc account and buy the novel chapters. They're fairly cheap so support the authors if you can. Link to a guide

Some recent novels I read through pure MTL that I REALLY enjoyed:

Presumptuous (放肆[娱乐圈]) by 玄笺: An entertainment circle setting where the MC, Tang Ruoyao, is a new actress with a bright future. She recently won a best actress award and was compared to Qin Yinong, a legendary actress who always wins best actress if she's nominated. Unfortunately, Qin Yinong's career has been riddled with scandals that says she's slept with most of the entertainment industry, be it man or woman. Truth is, Qin Yinong is actually Ruoyao's sugar mommy who's been helping her have a smooth road through her career. They end up starring in a same-sex movie together and that's the start of their love story.

This novel really abused my heart in the beginning parts. Basically Ruoyao has a crush on Yinong but thinks that she doesn't care about her at all. There's emotional ups and downs where we see things from Yinong's perspective and then see the truth of all of these scandals as Ruoyao starts investigating and trying to learn more about the person she likes. It's extremely well-written, and this is my impression from using google translate to read it. It starts off like getting stabbed in the heart and then the wound heals until eventually you're dying from diabetes cause of how sweet it gets.

Ex-girlfriend, check it out [Quick Wear] (前女友了解一下[快穿]) by 小吾君: a quick transmigration novel where the MC is overpowered going through a bunch of worlds that are either really brutal or horror-based. Xin Lan was originally a transmigrator of the villain department, but was recently transferred to the ex-girlfriend department. Her goal is to make the ex-boyfriend male lead regret treating her like trash, but her way of doing it is very violent and brutal. The novels she transmigrates into are also really interesting settings. The first world is a killing game that's sorta like Danganronpa except the goal is to find a way out of the school instead of killing someone and getting away with it. A lot of horror elements show up here. The second world is an ancient China imperial story with more brutal stuff going on but no horror. The third world is a literal horror setting where there's 7 people trapped in a ghost house where only one person can survive. The fourth world is a normal entertainment circle setting and then the final world is another death game. The romance is between the MC and the female lead that the male lead is currently interested in.

Some explanations: transmigration is the Chinese version of isekai except they end up in a novel with set character types such as Male Lead, Female Lead, Supporting Female Character, etc. They also have a "system" that can talk to them and help them though the way that works differs depending on story. This particular novel was really fun and satisfying to read. It's essentially reading a revenge fantasy with horror elements that happens to have yuri. Each of the worlds were interesting to see the plot of, though my favorites were the 1st, 3rd, and 5th worlds. The yuri was also nice and it's AI x person.

I want to be alone, beautifully [Quick Wear] (我想独自美丽[快穿]) by 柒殇祭: another quick transmigration novel where the MC is the author of the novels she's transmigrating into. The goal is to turn her extremely tragic stories into happy endings. Something went wrong though, her Female Leads keep falling in love with her and blackening until it ends up affecting the ending of the world. The MC, Xu Jiao, is heartless and treats these novels as novels though, and refuses to return her FL's affections. Of course, whether that remains to be true as the novel progresses is a different question.

This is a novel where you really can't judge it from the beginning. I cried so hard reading the first three worlds and then that's when it started turning around. The last world especially put everything into perspective and makes you sympathize with Xu Jiao so don't judge her too harshly. It's also exceptionally well-written with plenty of descriptions and emotional writing. It immediately takes you into the world and gets you to care about the Female Lead despite how yandere she's being. It's why I ended up bawling at the end of the first world which was only 8 chapters long. The FL herself is different through each world but also not really at the same time? She's almost yandere levels of in love with the MC so warning there. There's also a lot of sex but it's described in really flowery ways so hm...

last edited at Aug 25, 2020 3:13AM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Finally finished reading FGEP! It's definitely something I'll need to reread at some point; there's a lot of foreshadowing and subtle details that I probably didn't appreciate going through the first time. The language took a while for me to get used to, especially how formal it could get when talking to the emperor, but I more or less understood everything everything.

I very much liked it overall, so much so that I'll go and pay for the chapters later. One minor thing that I wished was explored more was other characters' reactions to Lin Wanyue's real gender. Li Xian had the most detailed reaction of course, but I wish Yu-Wan's thoughts about and interactions with Lin Wanyue were explored more before she died, especially since Lin Wanyue later called her her best friend. Also Lin Baishui's and Xiao Shiyi's reactions weren't shown at all in the extras, which I was pretty disappointed in.

I'll probably read RUZHUI next, since I did enjoy Please Don't Laugh's writing but am not really in the mood for something too dark and depressing. Given the premise and the fact that it's been a few years since she wrote FGEP, I'm pretty interested to compare and contrast the two stories.

joined Jul 26, 2020

^ Yeah I get what you mean. There's a few things I wished got more polished in FGEP but overall? I really enjoyed the story. One thing to note is that Please Don't Laugh, the author, basically updated these chapters DAILY until the end and FGEP is also her first novel. When comparing FGEP to JWQS, I feel like the author let go a bit and actually just wrote everything she wanted since JWQS is twice the length of FGEP.

The ending of FGEP felt kinda rushed honestly, things started moving super fast and she was wrapping everything up quickly. Like the end reveal with Li Zhen and how he was secretly in love with his brother and how he wasn't actually blood-related to the emperor felt rushed since I can't recall any moments that foreshadowed that.

It felt like the author heavily constrained herself to focusing on Li Xian and Lin Wanyue instead of the side characters so there's a lot that was hidden that we don't get to know about as you already mentioned. That was solved a lot with JWSQ since I felt like the side characters were more fleshed out and we saw their perspective a lot more. I think that if the author just like, let herself make FGEP as long as she wanted, that wouldn't have happened, but it was her first novel so I can see why she would make that mistake.

9208d111-5757-408b-bec9-6d68ef7092b8_healthy-blueberry-oat-breakfast-ice-pops_webready_result
joined Aug 27, 2020

Also started tp read FGEP now :) So it's cool to read your comments about it. And thank you for the list of novels, I appreciate it))

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Caught up on RUZHUI. I'm liking it a lot so far - there's a lot of fun culture clash, both for comedy and drama. Yun An telling Lin Buxian that she's a woman right from the beginning is a nice change from FGEP, especially since it means that Lin Buxian is experiencing all these gay thoughts™ the entire time.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

More thoughts on RUZHUI - things seem to be heating up now; the most recent translated chapter ended on a cliffhanger with Yun An having been framed for murder, likely by Lin Buxian's former fiancee Zhong Xiaoting. Very interested to see where this goes, as things have been pretty low-key for the most part. At the very least Lin Buxian knows Yun An's innocent, but this is still going to be an issue considering how important the Lin family's reputation is around the town.

Speaking of Lin Buxian, I'm finding her constant attraction/affection towards Yun An to be weirdly hilarious, considering she's barely aware of it. Like, sure Yun An has really hot abs and yeah, you know Yun An so well you can tell what she's thinking without her saying anything. So what if Yun An probably likes women, I'll still hold her hand no problem! All of this - and more! - and she still has no idea she's already falling in love with her. All that said, I'm betting that once Lin Buxian does sort out her own feelings she'll be the one to make the first move, since Yun An's still hurting from her ex-girlfriend. I can't wait to see how Lin Buxian reacts to that.

Aside from RUZHUI, I've been browsing through a lot of other Chinese novels on novelupdates.com. I now know the difference between Wuxia, Xianxia and Xuanhuan, so that's neat. Lots of transmigration stories, unsurprisingly. I find it pretty interesting how both Japanese and Chinese media both have a "Villainess" type character that shows up in a lot of these. Also there's a lot of cultural references and slang that I'm slowly picking up (apparently one Chinese slang for lesbian is "meat grinder" which is hilarious. Well, either "meat grinder" or "mirror grinder" but the first one is funnier).

One novel I've been binge-reading recently is The Female Lead is a Black Lotus, yet another transmigration story involving a girl getting inserted into a villainess character from a book/series she read recently. This one was surprisingly funny - the main character (Lin Siyi) had rage-quit the book only a quarter of the way through, due to the female lead (Nan Xueqing) being so pure and kind-hearted towards her enemies no matter what, including the villainess that died early on in the book. As such, upon getting transmigrated Lin Siyi immediately (tries to) befriend Nan Xueqing and stick close to her as much as possible. Unfortunately, Nan Xueqing really isn't as innocent as she seems...

As you can imagine, Nan Xueqing was the one that killed off the villainess in the original story, and it's only Lin Siyi's bizarre change in character that keeps her from getting killed. Lin Siyi more or less accidentally manages to seduce Nan Xueqing through her repeated efforts to get closer to her, which ended up being funnier than it sounds. Lin Siyi's pretty touchy-feely and flusters Nan Xueqing quite a bit, especially when the latter's openly lesbian roommate suggests that Lin Siyi probably has a crush on Nan Xueqing. Of course, it helps that Lin Siyi ended up actually getting a crush on Nan Xueqing, even if she's pretty oblivious to her own feelings. Lin Siyi's a bit dumb.

Unfortunately the novel's only been properly translated up to chapter 11, which is before the story really starts picking up in gayness. I've ended up reading ahead on mtlnovel.com, where it's been entirely machine-translated without proofreading. The translation is about as bad as you'd imagine it would be, but it's legible enough for me to understand what's happening.

last edited at Sep 18, 2020 3:19AM

joined Jan 21, 2021

Can I recommend some untranslated novels? I've been soaking in JJWXC lily section for half a year and got a handful goodies to share.

joined Jul 26, 2020

Sure! I've been doing the same and I can recommend some stuff too but it's gonna take a hot second for me to actually write it all out. I've also been soaking in stories for half a year and there's a lot of good ones out there.

joined Feb 6, 2021

Hi where can I get a link for translated novel?the likes of FGEP and RUZHUI thanks it is much appreciated if I can get some stories..

Av
joined May 25, 2015

Here's the link to the author's works from novel updates https://www.novelupdates.com/nauthor/请君莫笑/
Just click on the story and scroll down, there's a list of translated chapters after the story info.

And while I'm here, I'll recommend "Received a Wife From the Civil Affairs Bureau." I haven't finished reading it, but it's been a super fluffy slow burn so far.

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I have fallen so deep into chinese gl novels it’s not even funny. I wanna spam a bunch of recommendations here but before that I wanna put it out there that the chinese word for yuri/lily is Baihe, so if you’re looking specifically for chinese gl stuff in english, searching for baihe on twitter or looking for lists with the word baihe in it on novelupdates will help you a lot.

I’m glad to see PDL get some attention here because she’s a really good author, and just consistently writes very fleshed out stories. So far no one’s mentioned My Death God Roommate though, and maybe that’s because it only started getting translated recently, but it’s set in the modern day with heavy supernatural and has a lot more comedic parts than what she’s usually known for. PDL actually said this was her favorite novel that she’s written because she based the characters off of her friends and family, and so she feels the most connection to it. I like it a lot and highly recommend it.

My second recommendation is a transmigration story called She is the Protagonist that’s basically heroine x villainess. The two leads are Yu Ru Bing, who was transmigrated against her will into this world governed by an all powerful system, and Tang Han Qiu, who was forced to act as a puppet by the system to make her a vicious antagonist in the story being told until she suddenly broke free due to a bug one day. Yu Ru Bing is initially given a set of missions to complete before she can return home, but the first mission is to fix the “bug” giving Tang Han Qiu free will. Yu Ru Bing is pissed off at the system for kidnapping her into this place and so she decides to rebel against the system by teaming up with Tang Han Qiu instead.
This series has legitimately made me laugh out loud so many times. The character writing and dialog is top tier, and it’s also pretty lighthearted to heal your soul from some of the angstier novels out there. The tl notes are also stellar, and do a great job explaining the memes and cultural references scattered throughout the series.

My last recommendations are two wuxia series, Princess Spare My Life and The Witch Nichang. To summarize both quickly, Princess Spare my Life is kinda like FGEP with a little bit of wuxia and transmigration mixed in, while The Witch Nichang is actually a GL retelling of a classic wuxia novel from the 50’s and was one of the earlier baihe novels to get popular in China. Both series update kinda slowly but I still highly recommend them.

Also in regards to mtl I wouldn’t recommend it for reading series tbh, you might get the basic plot down, but you’ll miss all of the symbolism, metaphors, and general cultural references sprinkled throughout a series that really add more depth to a series. There are also a lot of good translators who do a great job providing tl notes for everything, and one of my favorite things about reading baihe novels is all the little idioms and cultural tidbits I learn about chinese culture while reading.

Lastly, I’ll leave a link to my own novelupdates list of My Baihe Favs which has all of the baihe series I’ve ever read or am reading, along with a short summary/rating of the series. Hopefully someone can find some series they like here.

last edited at Jul 3, 2021 1:10AM

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Just finished reading an MTL of Presumptuous (Fangsi) and it was great! I laughed, I cried, i cheered. Definitely recommend and I hope it also gets an adaptation soon.

Gumball
joined Dec 6, 2023

FGEP is really good, theres a manga now but I wish the art style was different. Anyone here know the best way to learn mando? I feel like reading translations and machine translated novels doesn't hit as hard

To reply you must either login or sign up.