Forum › Mirage discussion

joined Oct 10, 2016

That's all? I expected this to continue for next 100 chapters being made not in Japan.

Then again, I catch myself on thinking like Liu sometimes. Does it make me bad?

20220104_023724
joined Feb 11, 2013

I nearly missed the extra uf

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

I'm glad she didn't forgive them. It was all a mirage. The girl she had a crush on was never real. She did well to escape that toxic "friendship". Now she can find true friendship and happiness.

Even if people realize they went over the line, it’s entitled for them to think they can do something and then not pay the consequences. It was cathartic to see that play out here—it’s not always easy because human connection is a need and sometimes your safety demands you continue to engage with people that have hurt you without them reckoning with that hurt, but there will always be a consequence.

Sometimes I forget I’m not the only person struggling or failing to connect, and that most people, especially at this age, are lonely. A lot of people who treat others like shit are going through something rough, whether they know it or not. But the consequences of that, even if you can’t leave them or set the boundaries you need the way MC does, are real. Those people won’t get a chance to connect with you, to get close and find a companion in this world or a refuge to heal. They will stay distant, and alone, and in time you will move on. Like light-haired girl, they will lose the chance to connect. Maybe that’s not the kind of justice the righteously angry part of you demands, maybe it’s not equal to what they put you through, but yes, in the end they don’t get away with it.

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

She should have navigated it more diplomatically. Accept their apology on the surface and to their faces but pull back from the friendships. Dodge questions, don't commit to any events in the future, and otherwise avoid them. If they ask if anything is wrong, insist everything is fine and make up an excuse.

That's what I would do (and did).

idk i get the feeling it wouldn't have been so easy with that group. they seemed extremely pushy, and would ignore the hint, and pester, and badger, and not let up unless you give them a clear fuck off.

last edited at Nov 3, 2020 5:04AM

Ye
joined Apr 1, 2018

i was definitely getting trans vibes towards the beginning??

Picsart_05-15-11.56.08%20(2)
joined Jun 17, 2018

The elegancy of the manga's like structure is powerful to catch the attention of any reader. It separates itself from almost every manga I have read in a unique sense.

I find the ending of the manga remarkable for how it shows that an individual could be strong even in situations that harm a person in a non-verbal manner.

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

Just because a lesbian hates herself for liking women and being made fun of for wearing whatever she wants doesn't mean that she truly wants to. This happens to almost every lesbian at some point, self hate and homophobia are shitty things we go through and we can't help but think that if we were dudes we wouldn't be so hated, targeted, harassed, or even raped and murdered.

If society worldwide was different and accepting of homosexuals, we wouldn't have so much self hate and suicidal tendencies, not to mention wishing things were different like being straight or the opposite sex. It just sucks living in a homophobic society, even if you live in a good country for gay people, you still face discrimination from people every now and then, specially if you want a child.

StudentOfEtherium
Djp09ca4_400x400
joined Dec 16, 2017

glad i'm not the only one who picked up on that. feels like this story could go in a totally different direction is that had been focuses on more

Tumblr_mqsgcvuolq1s1l3cpo1_500
joined Jul 12, 2012

The whole "real friends" situation definitely felt like a punch to my gut for how real and similar that type of bullying was for me during my youth. But honestly I'm glad the character picked the better choice of not sticking with fakes and found happiness later on.

Icon
joined Mar 22, 2021

Just because a lesbian hates herself for liking women and being made fun of for wearing whatever she wants doesn't mean that she truly wants to. This happens to almost every lesbian at some point, self hate and homophobia are shitty things we go through and we can't help but think that if we were dudes we wouldn't be so hated, targeted, harassed, or even raped and murdered.

If society worldwide was different and accepting of homosexuals, we wouldn't have so much self hate and suicidal tendencies, not to mention wishing things were different like being straight or the opposite sex. It just sucks living in a homophobic society, even if you live in a good country for gay people, you still face discrimination from people every now and then, specially if you want a child.

The thing people are picking up on here is less so the "if I were a guy it'd be easier to admit my feelings for this girl" aspect (a pretty common trope in all sorts of lgbt media, even if it's a mildly unfortunate one), and moreso the repeated emphasis of how much the protag hates their voice and thinks its ugly, and the emphasis put on how masculine they draw themself, as well as the extended monologue about wanting to be a guy that they give upon it being brought up. Obviously, that's not what they went for in the end, but it feels a lot like that's where they intended it to go, even if it wasn't, and I can totally understand why someone would interpret it as such.

That's not to say that there isn't room for narratives like this (I enjoyed this comic, even if it didn't go where I thought it was going), but to instantly write it off as "every lesbian goes through a self-hatred phase at some point" is not only pretty harmful and generalizing of lesbians, but also quietly glosses over some really harmful stereotypes about trans men (including the mistaken notion that trans men are just cis lesbians with self-hatred issues). Is it possible for lesbians to have a phase where they want to be a man just to escape homophobia, and eventually they'll feel confident in being lesbians? Sure. But also it's possible some of those people feel that way because they're close to realizing that they're trans men.

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

wow i rarely see stories where the victim doesn't forgive their abusers. glad she finally had her happy ending tho.

To reply you must either login or sign up.