Forum › Battle Athletes Victory Returns With New Manga, Anime

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Jitsugyo no Nihon Sha's manga website Comic Ruelle & Comic Jardin revealed on Friday that Rui Takatō's new Pale Blue Dot Battle Athletes Daiundōkai ReSTART! manga is getting an anime adaptation. The manga's prologue debuted on the website on Friday, and the series' first two chapters will launch in July.

Takatō's manga features a completely new story for the 90s multimedia franchise Battle Athletes Victory. In the science-fiction sports action story set in the year 5100, elite athletes from around the solar system compete to become Cosmic Beauty, the champion of a huge athletic tournament. The prologue chapter includes images of the new competitors as well as Lahrri Feldnunt, Kris Christopher, and Akari Kanzaki, Cosmic Beauties of 100 years ago.

The Battle Athletes Daiundōkai original video anime shipped in Japan from 1997 to 1998. The Battle Athletes Daiundōkai (Battle Athletes Victory) television anime, which retells the story with a different plot and characterizations, also premiered in 1997. Geneon released both series on home video in North America. The franchise also includes manga, video games, novels, and radio dramas.

Source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-06-26/battle-athletes-victory-returns-with-new-manga-anime/.161137

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo
I was looking around, I didn't know this classic... but... These screenshots are from the old one so maybe there's reason to be excited !!!

So, did you saw the old one? do you think the new one it's gonna be good? All I know is that I LOOOVEEE girls in uniform.

PS: Hopefully we won't get a self insert trainer lo/

last edited at Jun 26, 2020 2:39PM

joined Jan 21, 2015

I really enjoyed the anime when I watched it around 15 years ago. I can't say how well it holds up, but there is yuri. Kris is the character to look out for, she appears in the second (out of three) arc. The main character can be annoying though, it takes a while before she gets some confidence.

If anyone wants to look for the original, there is a TV anime and an OVA series. Just skip the OVAs, they're a retelling and I have a vague memory of them not being good. Plus I don't think they have yuri.

I'm not sure why they would want to revive such an old property, but I'm interested. If they want to update it, they should make it (even) gayer.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

I've read some of the manga (which I think is on the site?), which I vaguely recall being kinda gay, but also offputtingly 90s. But it looks like this is a sequel (albeit one looking to attract a new audience), so it's not beholden to the character dynamics of the original. And the tendency for modern all-female franchises is to have some yuri, so I'd expect some

Weird that this is happening, though. It's old and was never really a major hit

last edited at Jun 26, 2020 9:08PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hylarn posted:

I've read some of the manga (which I think is on the site?), which I vaguely recall being kinda gay, but also offputtingly 90s. But it looks like this is a sequel (albeit one looking to attract a new audience), so it's not beholden to the character dynamics of the original. And the tendency to modern all-female franchises is to have some yuri, so I'd expect some

Weird that this is happening, though. It's old and was never really a major hit

Most likely some Millionaire fan decided to invest in it hehehe

joined Jul 26, 2016

Takatou Rui? Gonna be weird then.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Not familiar with the IP but I'm curious now.

Most likely some Millionaire fan decided to invest in it hehehe

I will so do this kind if thing I ever become a millionaire XD but Legaia would be the 1st revival

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

random posted:

A good weird or I want off this ride kind of weird?

joined Jul 26, 2016

random posted:

A good weird or I want off this ride kind of weird?

I find his works to be the former but that's very YMMV. Cynthia the Mission is one of the most wonderfully bizarre takes on the "martial arts fightan mango" genre I've read for ex.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I saw some pictures in google and ... damn, Cynthia ain't for everyone lol
Well I'll keep an open mind but at the same time keep my guard up just in case!

joined Jul 26, 2016

Oh yeah Rui doesn't really do the Beauty Is Never Tarnished trope. PROBABLY won't come up in Battle Athletes since that's about (weird) sports rather than fightan but you never know...

On the upside he also has no brakes when it comes to, uh, alternative sexuality (to wit, Scape-God or Hagure Idol Jigokuhen Gaiden - Princess Sarah in general and the infamous "dolphin chapter" in particular... yeah) so this reboot will probably be as gay as the editors let him get away with.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

this reboot will probably be as gay as the editors let him get away with.

Which isn't necessarily very much? When you have an anime announced around the same time as a manga that generally means that the anime was conceived first and the manga is based on it

Thumbnail_0f974c4024acb1498ed2be1bfb41d2cc3a513746
joined Jul 21, 2013

The new BATTLE ATHLETES anime has an all new cast.

last edited at Jan 6, 2021 11:06PM

joined May 11, 2014

If there's nothing as wacky as the first episode of the old TV series I ain't watching it.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

New trailer for the anime but it doesn't look like the characters in the manga poster? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnE1iFaTOwA I'm confused now

To reply you must either login or sign up.