Forum › Sunny Birdie discussion

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

A smile to protecc

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

In chapter 1, she found a golf course that charges 1000 yen a round for students... I doubt of the reality of this..

Golf is actually a really expensive sport. Just one round costs more than $100, not counting the membership fees and the costs of the equipment. It's understandable: maintaining a golf course in shape year round costs a lot.

Are these girls filthy rich?

KangaNoodles
_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

In chapter 1, she found a golf course that charges 1000 yen a round for students... I doubt of the reality of this..

Golf is actually a really expensive sport. Just one round costs more than $100, not counting the membership fees and the costs of the equipment. It's understandable: maintaining a golf course in shape year round costs a lot.

Are these girls filthy rich?

I'm pretty sure the golf club here let's you on the green for $30aus without renting their golf clubs. They serve booze too!

Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

As I understand it, golf in Japan is pretty expensive due to the amount of (flat) land needed, something they are sorely lacking that can be used for other (more productive) things.

I was stationed in Japan once at a base that had a 9-hole course. I was told one of the best and fastest ways to make some Japanese friends was to invite some to play golf on the base. Mostly because (A) it would be cheaper and (B) they would actually get to play. I think I was told that courses in Japan could get backed up, so you would have to book time (far) in advance to guarantee play time. (This was in Kanagawa Prefecture. Yokohama was 30-minutes away by train, Tokyo about 90, so I could see that being the case.)

Anyway, pretty sure the pricing is just artistic license in play to make this somewhat believable given the cast. (Or that was off-season pricing or something along those lines. shrug)

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Can't speak for golf on Japan, but I know in the US there are public courses in many states. Hawaii has one in the middle of Honolulu, and in Washington state there is Chamber's Bay which is also used for a tournament. These are much cheaper.

As much as Japan has a premium on flat land, it also has a LOT of rural areas. Get out of the two major metropolitan areas (Tokyo-Yokohama and Osaka-Kobe) and things are very different.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"Tennouji" is so obviously a houjou-sama name.

last edited at Jul 14, 2020 9:02AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.