Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

joined Jun 6, 2016

If there is a subject of study called wdtfs, pretty sure some of the users here will have an A+

Screen%20shot%202017-09-05%20at%2014.18.21
joined Feb 4, 2017

I've been thinking about this, you might find these two points interesting.

A- Seju's PTSD

PTSD has many symptoms, including nightmares, eating disorder, being easily startled, mood swings and self-destructive behaviour.

we saw a very clear one in ch79, which was Seju's reliving the assault in her dreams and her eating disorder.

But the symptoms were showing even earlier and after that:

1. ch77, look at the moment that Sumin knocks the door, Seju was easily startled.
  2. ch78 and ch79, sometimes, you could see her distracted as during breakfast.. or let's call it spacing out even at the office.
  3. ch80 along side ch82, it is very easy to notice the change in Seju's behaviour and her mood swings (easily happy, easily mad), look at her reaction in the car, supermarket, then after Sumin cooked for her/showed care then finally her anger from the previous chapter.
  4. ch83, notice the self-destructive ideas she had and reckless behaviour, had Sungji not found her in this chapter, Seju would've gone down hill!

Bottom Line
Seju is still suffering from PTSD, but we are seeing different symptoms throughout the chapters.

B- Body Language ch83 at the Cafe

look at Seju and Sungji at the Cafe, at the beginning, Seju blocks herself from the conversation, shows emotional withdrawals of it, crossing her legs and arms, avoiding eye contact.. later as the conversation progresses and Sungji shows care, you see how Seju slowly softens her posture.. eye contact comes slowly, no more crossed arms now.. while Sungji sets in a posture that shows openness through out the whole meeting.

Bottom Line
Sungji shows openness and understanding, Seju is more comfortable and open with Sungji than she used to.

last edited at Jun 11, 2017 12:54PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

^ Is there anyone here that actually disagrees with the PTSD theory? I agree with it personally.

BTW You can definitely tell that Seju is your favourite character from the way you read into her and describe her. Same with Foxylady

last edited at Jun 10, 2017 6:52PM

joined Feb 4, 2017

Es0teric

the background motive of the PTSD symptoms list is that I was discussing it with yoonie last night.. so I thought it worth mentioning that it didn't disappear.. but we are shown other symptoms a bit by a bit.

BTW You can definitely tell that Seju is your favourite character from the way you read into her and describe her.

it requires empathy to understand her.. but I'm not denying my favouritism. I hope I did a good job reading into Sungji's behaviours too and so with Sumin (well, I know that I am not the best in understanding Sumin XD)

Edit:

Same with Foxylady

I thought Foxy lady said that Dawoon is her favourite when she was asked (very interesting to tell the truth), and she explained thoroughly all three characters in decent details, even helped me big time in identifying Sungji's eccentrism. She is probably the most fare when it comes to character analyses. click here for details also here

last edited at Jun 10, 2017 7:13PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

BTW You can definitely tell that Seju is your favourite character from the way you read into her and describe her.

it requires empathy to understand her.. but I'm not denying my favouritism. I hope I did a good job reading into Sungji's behaviours too and so with Sumin (well, I know that I am not the best in understanding Sumin XD)

It's in the way you use language to decribe the reasoning behind Seju's actions compared to Sumins that makes me say that. It's not a criticism by the way as we all do it.

Sumin requires empathy too but a more experience based one (Empathy is a mix of nature and nurture/experience) If i had your time and patience i'd go in depth into this but 80 chapters is a lot to re-read and write notes for.

Edit:

Same with Foxylady

I thought Foxy lady said that Dawoon is her favourite when she was asked (very interesting to tell the truth), and she explained thoroughly all three characters in decent details, even helped me big time in identifying Sungji's eccentrism. She is probably the most fare when it comes to character analyses. click here for details also here

Sorry there was meant to be more to that last sentence. For some reason if i use my phones emoji thing it cuts off anything afterwards.

last edited at Jun 10, 2017 7:46PM

joined Feb 4, 2017

Foxy lady
in your previous comment, what are you trying to say?
(if you leave me alone like that, my mind would jump to Pluto before we know it)

joined Mar 21, 2017

Rather than editing my post.

"Same with Foxylady when it comes to the three main characters that is."

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Sumin requires empathy too but a more experience based one (Empathy is a mix of nature and nurture/experience) If i had your time and patience i'd go in depth into this but 80 chapters is a lot to re-read and write notes for.

One doesnt need experience to be able to understand or empathy Sumin. Same for Seju or Sungji. And honestly, the hardest to understand is Sungji, not Sumin or Seju.

You empathy who the most based on who you feel connected the most, who you like the most(this is the most important), also who you related the most. You like who most, you empathy and embrace that character the most.

last edited at Jun 10, 2017 9:25PM

joined Feb 4, 2017

Foxy lady .. well, well, you like cryptology, don't you? I tried to get what you mean, so:

1. People are wearing jackets.
  2. Seju was perspiring when she fell down when they bumped.
  3. twice was shown under the table (seju wearing shorts and indoor slippers while Sungji was wearing long pants and sneakers)
  4. Sungji was wearing 3 layers of upper clothings, long pants, sneakers

Seju dashed outside in anger, recklessly.. she said she wasn't planing to go home this fast.. I only saw her almost going down hill with self-destruction behaviour and mantra.
if it's something about Seju's body being heated, she was wearing a high neck woollen pullover and a jacket last chapter in the car.

inspiration of Sungji's style :P, click

Why do Team Gaji represent these things? It will be overthinking again if it is not connected with other chapters.

1. Seju sleeps naked most of the time or if not a skimpy night silk clothing.

so does Sumin.

1. Saehyun sleeps half-naked while Dellho(Sungji's brother) sleeps fully clothed.

he lives alone unlike Sungji's brother.

1. Seju doesn't eat too much or has appetite loss
  2. She is a CEO.
  3. A Baek only daughter

Anxiety disorder that is worsened with her PTSD ?

Other points:
1. she easily falls down when they bumped in this chap.
2. she was represented to be sick in chap. 53.

Anemia ?

Interesting point:
Indeed, Sumin tries to ignore Seju's birthday.. Why?... When Sumin found the ring in chap. 11, she brought Seju's favorite, rose. The clothing of Sumin before and Sungji now is the same, a long sleeved.. Ooopsie, does it tell about the climate? Hmmm... I wonder...

Aha.. here is the fun part, now.. are you hinting that Sumin gave Seju the couple ring during Seju's birthday? or that Seju's birthday is related to their break up?

if it's the break up.. then this couldn't be the case.. Sumin's parents death happened between April and July, I know this because they partied Sungji's birthday in April ch9, then Sumin visited the memorial in ch12, but Sumin's birthday was in July, ch25.
Sumin and Seju broke up a month after her parent's death.. so it could never be near Seju's birthday, November. With this timeline, the latest day of their break up could fall in August max.

if you mean it was the day they met 17 years ago, or had their promise rings, and Sumin is avoiding the memory.. then that's I agree with.

did I reach Pluto yet with my mind ? XD

last edited at Jun 10, 2017 11:39PM

2017-06-29%2003.19.20
joined Nov 8, 2016

I dare say you have reached another dimension

joined Feb 4, 2017

I dare say you have reached another dimension

I tried to decrypt her comment XD.. couldn't do better :(

2017-06-29%2003.19.20
joined Nov 8, 2016

That's all right. That's ok. If one day you decide to write wdtfs guide (like a hardcover book) I'll definitely buy it.

joined Feb 4, 2017

That's all right. That's ok. If one day you decide to write wdtfs guide (like a hardcover book) I'll definitely buy it.

more reasons to quit my current job :P

2017-06-29%2003.19.20
joined Nov 8, 2016

more reasons to quit my current job :P

That's what happening to me now. Switching from linguistics to computer science and video games development. Quite tough.
You have good writing skills so maybe you should give it try...writing a book (wdtfs 2.0).

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

You know, Nora, about the ptsd, I'm more convinced of the ending where SuminxSungji is a couple while Seju remains friend of both of them.

Seju needs care and love so maybe with both of them keep up this thing, Seju would gradually accept and stay friend. And Sungji has to accept Seju's existence is Sumin's life and Sumin has to accept Seju as part of her life also then its the ending that wdtfs could reach.

joined Mar 21, 2017

One doesnt need experience to be able to understand or empathy Sumin. Same for Seju or Sungji. And honestly, the hardest to understand is Sungji, not Sumin or Seju.

I think you do. Your experiences already shape how you see things and how your brain processes thoughts. Experience doesn't have to be direct, it can also be indirect such as reading up about PTSD ("Experience is the knowledge or mastery of an event or subject gained through involvement in or exposure to it" - Wikipedia)

The ability to feel empathy is innate but how you show empathy is based on your social environment. If your society looks down on depression for example you are less likely to show empathy for those with a Depressive Disorder.

You empathy who the most based on who you feel connected the most, who you like the most(this is the most important), also who you related the most. You like who most, you empathy and embrace that character the most.

You don't have to feel connected too or have to like someone to feel empathy for them. I can empathise with Seju yet not like her. You will often find that you may end up liking someone because you can empathise with them first rather than the otherway around.

last edited at Jun 11, 2017 12:04AM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

I think you do. Your experiences already shape how you see things and how your brain processes thoughts. Experience doesn't have to be direct, it can also be indirect such as reading up about PTSD ("Experience is the knowledge or mastery of an event or subject gained through involvement in or exposure to it" - Wikipedia)

The ability to feel empathy is innate but how you show empathy is based on your social environment. If your society looks down on depression for example you are less likely to show empathy for those with a Depressive Disorder.

Now this is the better explaination. Your first post, literally just in meaning "you need more experience to be able to understand Sumin than Seju and Sungji"

No, its not "more experience" than anyone. Its about your own personality orientation and how you see life. For example, you ask a 18 year old kid who likes Sumin and SuminxSungji "Dou you empathize Sumin?", that kid will say yes and list a bunch of reasons with research and points to empathize her, according to his/her view on character. He/she probably hasnt had a quarter of what Sumin has gone through and dont have much experience in that matter but the important fact is he/she tries to understand her and empathize her so he/she searches on that. You dont need experience to empathize one person, you need willingness for empathy.

Just look at Sungji, she never experiences whatever Seju has gone through, not even see it in her life but she willingly tries to understand and empathize her. And you said so yourself "in real life, you have seen people like Sungji"

In Nora's case, she hates Sumin, so she doesnt have the willingness of looking deep or trying to empathize Sumin. That's her choice, not based on experience or whatever

I empathize Sumin and understand her pov but I dont like her much. I dont have experience on depression or wtv, I just think she has good points and bad points, and they're enough for me to empathize her

You don't have to feel connected too or have to like someone to feel empathy for them. I can empathise with Seju yet not like her. You will often find that you may end up liking someone because you can empathise with them first rather than the otherway around

I wont argue this, this fact is based on preference.

In short, my point is, dont use "experience" in every emotion you have on characters. Each of us has own preference, and its not necessary to have experience to empathize one, you need willingness to try first and foremost to empathize one character.

last edited at Jun 11, 2017 2:42AM

joined Mar 21, 2017

Yoonie0104

This is just going around in circles. I started writing a reply to you and then realised i was just repeating myself and that you'll just repeat yourself All the counter arguments to your last points are still in the post you were just replying too.

last edited at Jun 11, 2017 5:32AM

Cveoz_lueaab1ln
joined Feb 5, 2016

No, its not "more experience" than anyone. Its about your own personality orientation and how you see life. [..] In short, my point is, dont use "experience" in every emotion you have on characters.

You are talking to Es0teric, right? Then I totally agree.

@Es0teric, you are kinda overusing the word "experience".

joined Mar 21, 2017

I'm out. Enjoy yourselves : )

last edited at Jun 11, 2017 5:36AM

Cveoz_lueaab1ln
joined Feb 5, 2016

@Es0teric, it's hard to discuss with you since you never kindly bothered giving me chance to have a proper discussion with you.

joined Mar 21, 2017

@Es0teric, it's hard to discuss with you since you never kindly bothered giving me chance to have a proper discussion with you.

Because i feel like you attack my viewpoint rather than discuss it. It might not be your intention but it's honestly what it feels like. Plus two against gets a bit overwhelming.

Also i am literally out. As in gone out to a concert and then have a domestic flight to catch in the morning so won't have time

last edited at Jun 11, 2017 6:11AM

joined Feb 4, 2017

Es0teric

in that one, I agree with yoonie, I must have the willingness to empathise with Sumin character. I could not find this willingness in me.

True Evil

You have good writing skills so maybe you should give it try...writing a book (wdtfs 2.0).

I was not sure how to react to this line, it could go both ways, creative or delusional XD.

yoonie0104

You know, Nora, about the ptsd, I'm more convinced of the ending where SuminxSungji is a couple while Seju remains friend of both of them.

well, let me quote Seju in this one: "how can you say it's a joke, you know i'm not the type of person to play fair"

these are her words.. and I will not abandon my bet XD.

last edited at Jun 11, 2017 9:19AM

joined Feb 4, 2017

Foxy lady

If in any case, writers always impart a part of themselves into their characters. [...] So, what is just fiction to some, it could be somebody's reality.

(I won't and can't come up with a smart reply to this)

I could only say that characters of fictions are the medium their creators communicate their wisdom and philosophical sense to us.. using an idea "like Dawoon's character" to communicate other ideas " her words" which are actually the fruit of Gyeomji's wisdom. In that sense, I can also say that I consider WDTFS as a mean of communication between Gyeomji and I.. as no matter how she conveys and communicates to me her ideas, I could only perceive them in a way that is consistent with my line of thinking and my own wisdom. So, on one end I have Gyeomji's idea and on the other I have my perception of what I think is her idea. In between those ends, lay the lost messages.. I could never tell if my final perception is Gyeomji's idea or mine.. is it her wisdom purely or ours. That's why, whenever I read your comments on their work, I can find you in them.. these are not pure Gyeomji's ideas, but rather a fusion of both of yours.

2017-06-29%2003.19.20
joined Nov 8, 2016

I was not sure how to react to this line, it could go both ways, creative or delusional XD.

Take it as a compliment, darling %)
(I know for a certain reason the word "darling" makes you cringe but I couldn't resist the temptation)

these are her words.. and I will not abandon my bet XD.

After the recent chapter It feels like there is no more rivalry between them but rather understanding and acceptance.
Yoonie am rooting for you

To reply you must either login or sign up.