Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

"Oh god what if Hana thinks I'm weird, this is weird isn't it, I can't let her know"
Has no one seen this excuse/line before lmao, like "whaat?? Noo, I don't like girls, I'm not weird, I'm normal! Girls can't date girls!"

Only in every other story around here!

joined Apr 28, 2016

"I'm normal."

GODDAMNIT. This is why we can't have nice things. I really wonder if she means that or if the trope of "doesn't realize her feelings for her friend are romantic" is in play.

UGH.

Casual reminder
Go reread lmao

You got me. I forgot. DERP. In my defense, though, there seems to be a cognitive disconnect when she says she's in love with her but would never date a girl. So, in a way, she really doesn't realize it.

That being said, why would she say that? And unless I am really losing my mind, it wasn't Maiko saying that. Is Morinaga just trying to manufacture drama?

It is called lying. You know when you say something while knowing it is not true. (Edit:Damn ninjas!) The implication isn't that she isn't aware she is into woman but that she is either worried about the reaction to her being a lesbian or that she has really internalized attitudes against homosexuality. But the second one is a bit heavy for this manga so I would assume the first.

Seriously though I hoped the ex thing would lead to her actively trying to get in a relationship with her. Low odds sure, but some MC being proactive for once would have been nice.

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 3:59PM

Clipboard00
joined Oct 30, 2015

Here comes Morinaga's drama.

Seriously, WHY?

WHY YOU SAY THAT?

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

Great week! Sakura Trick, Room for Two, Hana and Hina... I'm so happy! The chapter was cute, but ended sadly, but that way the ending will be all the sweeter!

It won't be long until I can buy this manga. Can't wait!

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with how the "ex" drama turned out. I much prefer the trope of "of course they're not gay" than the whole jealous ex making you realize your feelings.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's well done, but a bit unoriginal...

I just can't get into this drama because it's a déjà-vu...

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

What is original these days? Every plot device and character type has already been used somewhere before.

Can't we just appreciate a cute story and beautiful artwork?

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

I was pleasantly surprised with how the "ex" drama turned out. I much prefer the trope of "of course they're not gay" than the whole jealous ex making you realize your feelings.

I didn't think about it that way, but yeah, that is kinda nice... A decent change of pace compared to the other manga I've been reading lately...

joined Sep 9, 2016

"I'm normal."

GODDAMNIT. This is why we can't have nice things. I really wonder if she means that or if the trope of "doesn't realize her feelings for her friend are romantic" is in play.

UGH.

Casual reminder
Go reread lmao

You got me. I forgot. DERP. In my defense, though, there seems to be a cognitive disconnect when she says she's in love with her but would never date a girl. So, in a way, she really doesn't realize it.

That being said, why would she say that? And unless I am really losing my mind, it wasn't Maiko saying that. Is Morinaga just trying to manufacture drama?

It is called lying. You know when you say something while knowing it is not true. (Edit:Damn ninjas!) The implication isn't that she isn't aware she is into woman but that she is either worried about the reaction to her being a lesbian or that she has really internalized attitudes against homosexuality. But the second one is a bit heavy for this manga so I would assume the first.

Seriously though I hoped the ex thing would lead to her actively trying to get in a relationship with her. Low odds sure, but some MC being proactive for once would have been nice.

Forgive me for feeling defensive here, but I understand that. I'm not completely idiotic. I suppose I was just taken aback by how such a recycled trope was used here.

Thank you for making me feel that way with the condescension, though, everyone, whether it was intended or not.

Moving on...

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 4:33PM

joined Aug 6, 2015

I never thought an author could find a way to make a rival character arc even more annoying, but here we go. Our girl setting herself back all on her own. gg

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

TVtropes exists because nothing is original anymore.

With the actual chapter, it's nice to see an MC thinking proactively after finding out their love interest had already dated a girl. Usually you get MCs in despair for not being their SO's first. Hana didn't really seem to care that Hina had already dated someone else, like a real person would usually act, to her it just meant that she had a chance. Now after being lied to all that optimism comes crashing down. Now this being a Morinaga Milk manga we know the MCs are going to get together at the end so the question remains of who is going to overcome their anxiety about homosexuality and confess first?

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 4:37PM

Tumblr_naq5w3cgrf1sbltxmo1_500
joined Jun 27, 2016

NOOOO ;(((((
This is too real right now omggg

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

the question remains of who is going to overcome their anxiety about homosexuality and confess first?

Well hmm let me just ahem-HANA! Hana will confess first! I know it!

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Cannibal posted:

tvtropes exists because nothing is original anymore.

And yet, some authors are able to give them a new shine.

I was just watching Sangatsu no Lion and even if there are probably some tropes, I didn't notice them, because the storytelling grips you and never lets you dwell on what could be similar to something you already watched.

Morinaga here looked like she was doing a trope (the ex), then subverted it by making her just a friend, only to slip in another one, the "we are both girls...".

I won't deny Hana and Hina are cute and that you can't help but feel bad for them because nothing in their society supports their newfound feelings, but when a story is predictable, it loses its shine. Girlfriends was not that predictable.

Spoiler : They end up together.

joined Sep 9, 2016

TVtropes exists because nothing is original anymore.

With the actual chapter, it's nice to see an MC thinking proactively after finding out their love interest had already dated a girl. Usually you get MCs in despair for not being their SO's first. Hana didn't really seem to care that Hina had already dated someone else, like a real person would usually act, to her it just meant that she had a chance. Now after being lied to all that optimism comes crashing down. Now this being a Morinaga Milk manga we know the MCs are going to get together at the end so the question remains of who is going to overcome their anxiety about homosexuality and confess first?

For some reason, I feel like it needs to be the one who seems to overcome the largest or most pronounced hang-up(s) about it, and I'm not sure who that is at the moment. Based on what we just witnessed, it might be Hina. That's open for debate though, I think.

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 4:55PM

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

"We are both girls" and "normal" ..urgh its getting really boring to read those lines.

I like this series but maaan ...

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Ugh. This is the worst part. The "our feelings are mutual, but we're both afraid to confess" phase.
This better not suck. Cautiously optimistic.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt! It's a cliche, but it's because it is real. This is a process girls (and boys) go through when they are dealing with their sexuality, especially in cultures that don't fully accept same sex relationships. And let's face it, even with many western nations having legalized same sex marriage, that still doesn't mean they are FULLY accepted! It is sad, but it is a part of growing up queer. If you are gay, lesbian, or bi and haven't had those type of self doubts and feelings of "I should be normal", you are the exception, not the rule. (Hopefully there are more and more exceptions every year!)

Screen%20shot%202016-04-20%20at%207.35.18%20am
joined Dec 20, 2015

Hina made Hana cry! ;-;

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Cannibal posted:

tvtropes exists because nothing is original anymore.

And yet, some authors are able to give them a new shine.

I was just watching Sangatsu no Lion and even if there are probably some tropes, I didn't notice them, because the storytelling grips you and never lets you dwell on what could be similar to something you already watched.

Morinaga here looked like she was doing a trope (the ex), then subverted it by making her just a friend, only to slip in another one, the "we are both girls...".

I won't deny Hana and Hina are cute and that you can't help but feel bad for them because nothing in their society supports their newfound feelings, but when a story is predictable, it loses its shine. Girlfriends was not that predictable.

Spoiler : They end up together.

Except we have known for a while that Hina has had trouble in her past dealing with her homosexuality, she has been trying this whole time to seem "normal". From her love of cute character products to her homosexuality. It's not something new to the story and definitely not something that was only just slipped in.

To call a romance story predictable just because you know that the couple will get together at the end just sets yourself up for disappointment every time. It's like calling Sangtsu no Lion predictable because you know it's going to get a happy ending.

Also, calling Girl Friends not as predictable in comparison when this whole ex-girlfriend arc turned out to be a red herring sounds kind of like a joke.

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 6:50PM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Glad we're avoiding the whole "ex-girlfriend drama". The "pretend I'm not gay to not freak out the girl I like" feels actually like a less explored route, nowadays.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Don't think I've noticed the "we are both girls" element as much as I could have. I feel I do have clich'e detection settings on high and while I love when a story can put even a small spin on them, I don't think I outright hate all cliches. A select few may be pet peaves though.

This story is alright. Art is ok for the most part even if things being constantly "cute" does almost nothing for me no matter the story. And I do like what happened with the ex. I was prepared to decide between grinning and baring or possibly fleeing a plot device I've not been fond off.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Just gonna toss this out there, but what if Hina said what she said to throw off her "ex"?

Like, she knows that her "ex" has the Yurihots for her, but she's only got eyes for Hana, so in order to keep the complications to a minimum, she announces that she's totally hetero omg, with the idea of running off the "ex".

NOT REALIZING OF COURSE that she's shooting down Hana-san as well.

I mean, I dunno if this is how it's going to play out, but it'd be pretty neat if it did.

Also: I think the ex really was being set up to be a legit ex, but Morinaga had to switch boats mid-stream after the cancellation announcement came. The whole explanation about why she's called her "ex" just rang like a tacked-on retcon to me.

To reply you must either login or sign up.