Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

Girl%20with%20a%20black%20cat%20avatar
joined Dec 27, 2015

It was so damn cute!
The scene with Hana crying in the tub, her emotions were exposed and naked for all to see, she's in love.....
Artwork for those scenes were great, author tends to (as all artist do usually) refine his work and shading during the dramatic moments.
But
I think I've seen this before ....., and " normal "?
Oh well, it's still cute

lazylikeyourass
Capture
joined Mar 26, 2016

I miss this Morinaga Angst. I remember when I first read Girl Friends and the angst got me crying, I was a 12 year old back then and I had to wait for months for new chapters, that was torture.

joined Aug 11, 2014

I can't remember all the details, it's been a while since I read through it all, but hasn't Hina been pretty firmly in the "If Hana knew how I felt, she'd never talk to me again" camp? Like, she's annoyed with her old coworker friend and wants her to go away, but more than anything, she emphasised the "I'm Normal" bit because she's terrified that Hana will hear all this ex business, get the wrong (actually right) idea, and be all grossed out and start distancing herself?

Also have a vague suspicion that Hina really did have feelings for Maiko, was in a relationship with her (or had an extremely gay friendship) only for Maiko to get spooked, cut Hina off, and is now waltzing back into Hina's life casually talking about their past as if it's just some running gag they had carried over from a photoshoot? I'm not sure. There's a lot of extraneous details and foreshadowing if there's really nothing more to it than old friends who joked around a lot before falling out of contact.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

I like this move two steps forward one back in my yuri.

Not.

This is plain bad writing. Other authors achieve more in a oneshot than Milk in a Series. I would understand if it was interesting or original but now that's just pulling her reputation around.

Now she just have to pull a "didn't take your confession seriously/some other bull", "I got a boyfriend because I'm normal too", "fast forward 10 years" or something like that. Another 12 chapters of nothing easy.

Nico%204
joined May 26, 2015

I fucking knew she was gonna start crying. When Hina said that, I just started waiting for it... I thought it was the friend who would be there to cause the clichéd drama, but no, it was the even more cliché lie that just ends up breaking everyone's heart.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

I miss this Morinaga Angst. I remember when I first read Girl Friends and the angst got me crying, I was a 12 year old back then and I had to wait for months for new chapters, that was torture.

You don't make me feel old at all, I promise.

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 8:55PM

joined Sep 11, 2014

Hana didn't even react negatively towards homosexual misunderstanding though. Hinako, the further you hide in the closet, the less likely you'll get Hana as a girlfriendddd

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 9:50PM

joined Mar 24, 2016

Chapter 13...I feel so mixed up... I love thi manga and I ove the story

joined Mar 24, 2016

Hana didn't even react negatively towards homosexual misunderstanding though. Hinako, the further you hide in the closet, the less likely you'll get Hana as a girlfriendddd

• your last sentence... I thought so too.
23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I just turned 49 earlier this month, so that should make you feel young again.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

I believe many things get more delicious as they age~

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I believe many things get more delicious as they age~

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

Seeing Hina's beautifully drawn eyelashes closeup reminded me of Girl Friends, the first yuri manga I've ever read. The last page drove back the painful memories of trying to figure out who I am and what my best friend means to me. I was only 19 then. 6 years later, I'm still struggling with unrequited feelings of love. TT_TT
Thank you Morinaga for reminding me that I still haven't got my happy ending.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Faust posted:

she lied lmao?
To not be judged?
"Oh god what if Hana thinks I'm weird, this is weird isn't it, I can't let her know"
Has no one seen this excuse/line before lmao, like "whaat?? Noo, I don't like girls, I'm not weird, I'm normal! Girls can't date girls!"

What the hell, don't suggest something logical. Also "I'm normal" could be (but probably isn't considering Hina's struggles with her sexuality) a statement meant to mislead people anyways since being gay shouldn't be considered abnormal.

joined Jun 2, 2014

you know, when the girl you like casually accepts the idea of your ex being a girl like it's no big deal. You should probably not say "YOU GOT THE WRONG IDEA I'M NORMAL!"

<.<

Simple-butterfly-tattoos-designs
joined Apr 24, 2015

All the drama aside, that last page killed me. That feeling when you break but it takes a long time before you feel the pain. That page describes that feeling so well. When you experience something so painful, but you can't even feel sad or angry or anything. You just go about your day/s, then one day you just feel really tired, and you start pulling excuses for yourself but that crack from what feels like eons ago shatters and you feel everything at once. Although when i think about it, it's almost preferable considering the alternative.

woop almost went into a depressing Segue.

Thevoid
joined Nov 13, 2015

What the hell, don't suggest something logical. Also "I'm normal" could be (but probably isn't considering Hina's struggles with her sexuality) a statement meant to mislead people anyways since being gay shouldn't be considered abnormal.

Uh... do you not know the traditional view (not necessarily the current standard one for young people, but the one held by traditional families and older individuals) of homosexuality in Japanese society? This is a manga based in Japan, and made by an author who has been around the manga scene for at least a decade and is probably pretty decently aged. Homosexuality is normal in the US, but it's not anywhere near as widely accepted over there, even less so by Milk's generation.

It's not explicitly illegal, but it's not considered normal yet either. Japan isn't quite as progressive as most English speaking countries in that regard. So Hina's "I'm normal" is perfectly placed and is most likely a self protection mechanism because of the setting in which she lives and also likely because of Maiko's actions in their past that obviously has more to it than either of them were letting on with Hana.

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

All the drama aside, that last page killed me. That feeling when you break but it takes a long time before you feel the pain. That page describes that feeling so well. When you experience something so painful, but you can't even feel sad or angry or anything. You just go about your day/s, then one day you just feel really tired, and you start pulling excuses for yourself but that crack from what feels like eons ago shatters and you feel everything at once. Although when i think about it, it's almost preferable considering the alternative.

woop almost went into a depressing Segue.

Oh god. Feels all too familiar to me. :(

Seeing Hana cry was so sad though.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Nice to see some old guard yuri in here. I don't feel like the oldest around anymore

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

I agree with many here when they say that they saw Milk's drama coming from a mile and yes, I've missed it a little bit.

But GOD DAMN IT THOSE TEARS TAKE ME BACK

Like seriously, Milk is a classic. Sure, the way Milk uses the all too familiar yuri tropes is not that original, but god damn it it can make you feel the feels. Those terribly cute tears Hana has remind me of dear old Mari and her angst at everything that was happening.

Yeah, Milk Morinaga is not the most revolutionary yuri artist ever, but it's one of the few that can make such a clitché'd situation feel real

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Nice to see some old guard yuri in here. I don't feel like the oldest around anymore

Less than half a century old... Hmm, I wonder what that feels like?
...Uh, pretend you didn't hear that. Um... I'm 39... really. That's what I tell people.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

XenonVoid posted:

Uh... do you not know the traditional view (not necessarily the current standard one for young people, but the one held by traditional families and older individuals) of homosexuality in Japanese society? This is a manga based in Japan, and made by an author who has been around the manga scene for at least a decade and is probably pretty decently aged. Homosexuality is normal in the US, but it's not anywhere near as widely accepted over there, even less so by Milk's generation.

It's not explicitly illegal, but it's not considered normal yet either. Japan isn't quite as progressive as most English speaking countries in that regard. So Hina's "I'm normal" is perfectly placed and is most likely a self protection mechanism because of the setting in which she lives and also likely because of Maiko's actions in their past that obviously has more to it than either of them were letting on with Hana.

You're taking that part of my post much too literally. I mean I even flat out stated that it's probably not the case meaning I was talking from an idealistic standpoint.

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

Less than half a century old... Hmm, I wonder what that feels like?
...Uh, pretend you didn't hear that. Um... I'm 39... really. That's what I tell people.

Man, and I thought I was old! (I'll be 28 this year). Such a horrible feeling approaching the age of 30 without having achieved anything...

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 10, 2010

I like this move two steps forward one back in my yuri.

Not.

This is plain bad writing. Other authors achieve more in a oneshot than Milk in a Series. I would understand if it was interesting or original but now that's just pulling her reputation around.

Now she just have to pull a "didn't take your confession seriously/some other bull", "I got a boyfriend because I'm normal too", "fast forward 10 years" or something like that. Another 12 chapters of nothing easy.

THIS^^^

Yeah, this has played out in nearly all of her works (except like... the magical dildo one and MARE). I used to really look forward to her stuff, but I've finally gotten really bleh about her. She needs to get the fuck past the "omg I like girls but she doesn't like me back boo hoo angst angst angst lol it was a misunderstand SEX end" archetype. I want Morinaga to start a damn story where both characters are gay and know each other is gay and that would immediately cut half the unnecessary shit from her build up and make her think outside her tiny box.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I don't understand all the hate for the latest chapter, I liked it. She obviously didn't want hana to freak out, think she was after her and start to hate her or something.

To reply you must either login or sign up.