Forum › Anime Recommendation

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

//I was thinking I'd just post my message on the "Anime season" thread but I think the anime I had in mind would've been a little too old. If anyone has made an existing thread please put the link so we don't make a compilation of the same thread again and again. Thanks.//

So I finished watching Claymore and I think it's top-tier hack n slash! It's epic, even my parents liked it. Anyway, I just wanna know if anyone knows of a similar anime. No huge cartoonish eyes, little to none existing fanservice, the ambience is consistent (not one moment serious then the next becomes very comedic), I've heard of berserk but I couldn't get into it. I'd like something that stimulates the brain. Like Code Geass and Death Note... And Claymore.

Edit: also, please recommend something from the year 2000 onwards if possible. I generally prefer modern anime art style.

last edited at May 25, 2015 7:48AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Psycho pass and Monster ... But you could've used the Anime Season thread, we talk about anime in general not just the newest one :)
Also there's Gungrave, the best part of gungrave is the flashback that takes several episodes and the ending ... Loved it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTH7MHKDqLI gave me feels

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Serial Experimental girl Lain
Ergo proxy
Boogiepop Phantom

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Death Parade is pretty good.

last edited at May 24, 2015 10:49PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

. The Monogatari series, too.

"No huge cartoonish eyes, little to none existing fanservice, the ambience is consistent"

D:

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Whoops, just went by the thread name and a little skimming over. :D

last edited at May 24, 2015 10:50PM

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

@Serenata Thanks! I thought only up-to-date or very recent anime was discussed there hence its title, but I was mistaken. I'll keep it in mind when I ask about anime recommendations again! ^^

Btw These are some of the anime I've watched that you guys are recommending:

•Psychopass
•Monster
•Death Parade

I thoroughly enjoyed those! I'm glad we're on the same wavelength.
I'll be checking out gungrave and the rest, thanks for the recommendations. I appreciate it. :)

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

I thought only up-to-date or very recent anime was discussed there hence its title

Well it's technically not wrong since I made it with that idea in mind but it's more of a general anime discussion tread now...soooo go right ahead.

KatzeDerNacht
joined Apr 27, 2014

Oh yes Psycho pass <3

jigoku shoujo
pet shop of horrors

joined May 19, 2014

@Rye thanks man. Since this one is mostly focused on recommendations, I'll keep this one up until I get some more recommendations and then when all is done, next time I'll post on your thread for anime-related stuff. posting this on the anime season thread now seems funny since it's here already. :)

@KDN: Ohh Jigoku wasn't my cup of tea. it seemed too fantastical than what I would've preferred. I'll check out pet shop of horrors!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Mushishi, maybe?

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Musashi GUNDOH and MD Geist are two you'd probably love.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Heavy agreement on Mushishi.
Recommending it here seems kind of stupid but there's always Madoka.
I'm not too sure if they classify as stimulating the brain but Cowboy Bebop, Michiko to Hachin and Samurai Champloo are very good anime in general.
Paprika and Perfect Blue are pretty stimulating to the brain though.

I'm also recommending Ping Pong The Animation and Seirei no Moribito, just cause they're really good.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

I still have no idea why i still haven't tackled Mushishi, not only is it drawn by motherfuckin' Yoshihiko Umakoshi, my favorite character designer and animator in case my avatar didn't spell it out but the main guy also looks like Dingo from ZoE2

Edit: Also, for thought provoking animes... Shin Sekai Yori had it's highs and lows, but the end defintiively made me kinda like "Wow dude..."

last edited at May 25, 2015 12:31AM

KatzeDerNacht
joined Apr 27, 2014

@Rye thanks man. Since this one is mostly focused on recommendations, I'll keep this one up until I get some more recommendations and then when all is done, next time I'll post on your thread for anime-related stuff. posting this on the anime season thread now seems funny since it's here already. :)

@KDN: Ohh Jigoku wasn't my cup of tea. it seemed too fantastical than what I would've preferred. I'll check out pet shop of horrors!

Oh ok well,what about ghost hunt? I like ghost stuff hehe

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

If you can spare the time, Legend of Galactic Heroes.
Episodes 3-110 and just watch the movie that replaces the first 2 episodes, I have yet to see someone that didn't love it

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

If you can spare the time, Legend of Galactic Heroes.
Episodes 3-110 and just watch the movie that replaces the first 2 episodes, I have yet to see someone that didn't love it

Not to be the one against the grain but i couldn't get into it, however i only watched the first two episodes, was that a bad move? I'm kinda itching myself for some military animes right now and i'd be more than willing to give it a second chance

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Legend of Galactic Heroes isn't a series that gets great immideatly, which isn't to say that the first 20 episodes are bad, (Yeah, stupid acting generals that make the dumbest decisions and just loathworthy royalties, I know, but they just get those out of the way to prepare for the really intelligent people. minus the religious nuts) they just prepare you for the overall pacing of the series, which is just a series that takes it's time, it has 110 episodes for a reason and it may not be early one but at one episode the switch will flip.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Gotcha, will keep on it
I suppose one factor that worked against it is that this one dude recommended it while i was asking for animes with a similar feel to the Area 88 OVA one of my all time favorites and it so happened to be completely different from what i was looking for, it's always for the best going with a clean mind

Edit: Ugh.... The movie... Is playing Bolero de Ravel... ...My heart...

last edited at May 25, 2015 4:38AM

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

It's more of an political driven story, that is to say it shows both democracy vs dictatorship and shows the good and the bad of both of them, if you are watching it for military warfare you may be disappointed because it shows it's at it's most brutal which is just ships going pew pew and other ships just exploding without any great last stands or anything like that, a million isn't just a statistic.

Also prepare for A LOOOOOOOOOOOT of characters, heck you won't even remember 1/4 probably by names if you don't take notes and most of them are fleshed out

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Haibane Renmei?
FLCL?
Paranoia Agent?
Nagi no Asakura?

There are tons of very good anime out there, old and new.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

. The Monogatari series, too.

"No huge cartoonish eyes, little to none existing fanservice, the ambience is consistent"

If you can get past the fanservice, the Monogataries series is a blast. I especially liked the romance between Koyomi and Hitagi. The scene under the stars at the end is one of the most romantic ever. So much feels.

• "What do you like about me?"
  • "Everything. There's nothing I dislike about you"

Gets me every time.

joined May 19, 2014

Mushishi, I tried watching the first episode but I got bored after five minutes. I think I'd like it if I finished the first episode. I'll try getting back on it again. Thanks Nez :)

@Gendolkari man, the premise of both anime sounds swell but I'm a huge sucker for modern anime art style (same reason why I couldn't get into LoGH) so I don't think I'd be able to get into it, appreciate it though!

@Nya I'm well aware there are a lot of good anime both new and old but I wanted something that is similar to the anime that I wanted. By the way I've seen Nagi no asakura, and perhaps its forté is its setting. I loved it. However the story overall seems shallow. I watched it until episode 10 I think. I'll check out the others you listed. Thanks.

Edit: thanks for the suggestions @originalgengar!

last edited at May 25, 2015 7:42AM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Gets me every time.

Was this sarcasm? Would make sense to me because that line sounds horrible.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Gets me every time.

Was this sarcasm? Would make sense to me because that line sounds horrible.

No sarcasm. It's stock line I admit, but you have to be in the mood of the scene to understand I guess.

To reply you must either login or sign up.