Forum › Anime Recommendation

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

If MD Geist was a legitimate suggestion I will throw Macross Plus out there

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

No sarcasm. It's stock line I admit, but you have to be in the mood of the scene to understand I guess.

Fair enough, I guess a lot of lines sound bad out of context.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

I thought it sounded romantic. Maybe it's the second part

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014
  • "What do you like about me?"
  • "Everything. There's nothing I dislike about you"

Gets me every time.

Was this sarcasm? Would make sense to me because that line sounds horrible.

You have to se the whole scene, the mood and the way the character say it. It is really a great romantic scene

Edit : Ah... I missed the last comments...

last edited at May 25, 2015 8:28AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015
  • "What do you like about me?"
  • "Everything. There's nothing I dislike about you"

Gets me every time.

Was this sarcasm? Would make sense to me because that line sounds horrible.

You have to se the whole scene, the mood and the way the character say it. It is really a great romantic scene

Isn't it? Isn't it?

Everytime I watch this scene, someone must be cutting onions in the room.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

The Monogatari Series is full of awesome quotes.

"Just as there isn't a problem that can't be solved by being right, there isn't a problem that can't be solved by money."
"The past is just the past. There's no inherent value in getting over it or catching up to it."
"Even if the truth is as one suspects, it may still be worthless."

All I'm saying is Kaiki is the best,

I totally didn't approve of Araragi x Senjougara until Hanamonogatari fixed that for me.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Okay Samurai Champloo and Heroic age, first one is adult comedy with dark scenes.... last one is futuristic with mechas, but WOW the details, the plot and how is told is awesome... Even though is sci fi they somehow make it sound real and (this is just me thinking) it has some references from a true religion, one that made some sense for me not too long ago ( I wont say the name to keep the thread safe).

That's all from me... UNLESS YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED DARKER THAN BLACK!!!

Edit 3: Chavalier D'eon ... OK THAT'S ALL

last edited at May 25, 2015 11:47AM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Really? the second line was the part that damned it for me. It should be noted though that I'm not exactly a great commentator on what makes romantic; LED kimi wo mita is in my opinion the greatest romantic line in song ever, my opinion is usually wrong.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Really? the second line was the part that damned it for me. It should be noted though that I'm not exactly a great commentator on what makes romantic; LED kimi wo mita is in my opinion the greatest romantic line in song ever, my opinion is usually wrong.

I think they complete each other, on their own they wouldn't work as well
I just imagined both characters sitting on a cliff facing the sunset, the girl asking: ''what do you like about me?'', the boy saying: ''Everything'' the girl then turning to the boy puzzled what that means and the boy while looking at the girl clarifying: ''There is nothing that I dislike about you''

Sure, maybe it sounds even more lame to you but I legitimately imagined it as an really cute scene

Edit: also, I had in mind that maybe the girl was kind of feeling down in an: ''What do you EVEN like about me?'', so maybe there is that, it's all about timing I guess

last edited at May 25, 2015 10:20AM

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Serenata

Okay Samurai Champloo and Heroic age, first one is adult comedy with dark scenes.... last one is futuristic with mechas, but WOW the details, the plot and how is told is awesome... Even though is sci fi they somehow make it sound real and (this is just me thinking) it has some references from a true religion, one that made some sense for me not too long ago ( I wont say the name to keep the thread safe).

That's all from me... UNLESS YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED DARKER THAN BLACK!!!

Samurai Champloo is also heavily tied to the hip-hop scene which gives the show its charm.

x2 about Darker Than Black. Totally kickass.

I also back the recommendations for Mushishi. It's a slow paced show and you'll need some patience to watch it if you got bored with the first episode. You really need to check it out, it's one of those shows that is a must watch right up there with Cowboy Bebop when it comes to recommendations. (I use Cowboy Bebop and Mushishi when recommending anime to newbies.)

I'd also throw in:
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Natume's Book of Friends
Trigun
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Spice and Wolf
Mononoke - Anime show

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

I'm currently in episode 10 of Mushishi
and I love it. It's really thought-provoking. I usually prefer non-episodic series' but this is simply too good to pass up.

@RR: I've watched half of the things on your list and I generally liked them so I'll check out the rest. Thanks mate.

I'd also like to recommend some of the anime I've seen that I fancied:

•Phantom's inferno (I was at an impressionable age around 11-12 when I saw this anime with my sisters so I may be too biased, but it's great. The story's alright but the action and the characters are what really got me into it.)

•Yosuga No Sora (Romance; contains incest between siblings and some mature scenes. Really good sound track, pacing, story and characters)

•NGNL (This goes against all that I've said about what I didn't want to be recommended but this was quite enjoyable and it's short. It's fun if you've got nothing else to watch give it a try.)

Thanks to all the others who made suggestions as well. Am really grateful.

joined Sep 15, 2013

Since so many people said psycho pass, you can surely go for Tokyo ghoul, the tone stays consistent throughout if only getting a bit darker as the series progresses. Tokyo Ghoul is a little bit gory so I don't know if you could watch it with your parents but its good, still its pretty gory so watch out for that.
You can also try cowboy bebop, its a classic, like my brother got me into anime with this show, its like one of the top tier shows, so you probably saw it.
I don't know if the anime is any good but the getbackers manga is a very good way to spend your afternoons, its very light on the tone but it does have some fan service so you may not like it but at least they explain that the characters are perverts at the very start of the manga and this strangely makes the fan service somehow okay for me.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Since so many people said psycho pass, you can surely go for Tokyo ghoul, the tone stays consistent throughout if only getting a bit darker as the series progresses. Tokyo Ghoul is a little bit gory so I don't know if you could watch it with your parents but its good, still its pretty gory so watch out for that.
You can also try cowboy bebop, its a classic, like my brother got me into anime with this show, its like one of the top tier shows, so you probably saw it.
I don't know if the anime is any good but the getbackers manga is a very good way to spend your afternoons, its very light on the tone but it does have some fan service so you may not like it but at least they explain that the characters are perverts at the very start of the manga and this strangely makes the fan service somehow okay for me.

Really ? I don't remember much fanservice from Get backers aside from Heaven's huge boobs bouncing. If there is fanservice, it must be very very very light. Or maybe it's different in the manga ?

Edit : Ah and the anime is great. Well it's a shounen so you should expect a shounen but it's a very good shounen

last edited at May 26, 2015 2:16PM

joined Sep 15, 2013

Really ? I don't remember much fanservice from Get backers aside from Heaven's huge boobs bouncing. If there is fanservice, it must be very very very light. Or maybe it's different in the manga ?

Edit : Ah and the anime is great. Well it's a shounen so you should expect a shounen but it's a very good shounen

I apologise if it sounded like I was criticising the getbackers its one of my favourites, however if I remember correctly(it has been YEARS since I read it) but it had quite a bit of fanservice, it had your typical clothes tearing during fight and the manga starts with an upskirt shot :/ but then yes I guess shounen covers all that

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I apologise if it sounded like I was criticising the getbackers its one of my favourites, however if I remember correctly(it has been YEARS since I read it) but it had quite a bit of fanservice, it had your typical clothes tearing during fight and the manga starts with an upskirt shot :/ but then yes I guess shounen covers all that

Don't worry, I didn't though of it as a criticism. It's just that I don't remember much nudity and even when there was nudity, it wasn't showed off. And what more, how many girl fighting character is there ? one ? two ? x)

If you take Fairy Tail as a basic shounen comparison, it have like a lot more nudity and it's showed off like hell (like close up on the almost or totally naked body and things like that...)

Edit : Actually, the only almost naked I remember is perfume girl when she was fighting the glass dust guy and she didn't stay like that very long

last edited at May 26, 2015 2:59PM

joined Sep 15, 2013

Did they dial it back later in the mangas did they not show it in the anime? I cant be sure now, it was quite some time back maybe I always had that impression of that series and that is what I remember apart from those crazy battles and the cool characters, Getbackers manga is amazing, don't give up the opportunity to read it just because of my comment

joined Sep 15, 2013

Also I was sad as I watched fairy tale dissolve the way it did

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I dropped Fairy Tail when I gave up on any hope of Lucy ever becoming useful. And it always kinda felt like a weaker version of One Piece to me.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Hum yeah I just checked some of the first chapters and they did lessen the "mature content" as some says in the anime if I remember it well

It's kinda sad for Fairy tail... the guy did Rave Master before and it was quite great

last edited at May 26, 2015 3:32PM

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014
joined Sep 15, 2013

Rave masters had a rushed ending imo, but then there is a vast majority of amazing mangas which have endings which seemed rushed, also that was a fantastic movie clip that you linked jack Nicholson reigning in his crazy is capable of great acting, fairy tail is too far gone to even debate about. I never leave anything half read, but fairy tail disappointed me so hard I don't think I have ever been so disappointed

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Satsuki
Which animes haven't you seen on my list? (Just curious.)

OriginalGengar

I dropped Fairy Tail when I gave up on any hope of Lucy ever becoming useful. And it always kinda felt like a weaker version of One Piece to me.

Pretty big One Piece fan here (just getting that outta the way in case bias shows up).

I tried to follow Fairy Tail, I really did but... after a while it felt really REALLY repetitive. Baddies come along. Fanservice, useless comedy, fanservice, some fighting, fanservice, useless characters get separated and meet an enemy, fanservice, enemies defeated, fanservice, friendship powers beats big baddie, fanservice, intermission, repeat. Always came across to me this way and I dropped it after errr... the time skip/stadium dragon battle. LAME!!!

I also haven't seen Rave Master myself but I've heard amazing things about it and intend to watch it. (Or is it better to read?)

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

These are the shows I've seen from your list:

•FMA: brotherhood, Natsume's book of friends, Darker than Black, Spice and Wolf. Good selection I must say.

I tried watching one piece but knowing that there's hundreds of episodes got me overwhelmed; I could only watch Naruto because I've been following it since the start but if I weren't, I don't think I'd watch it of my own volition. I generally prefer series that lasts for 50-100 episodes although I might be missing some really awesome anime.

joined Mar 23, 2013

One can never go wrong with Texhnolyze, be advised that the show hates happiness. But I recommend it. Just watch it when your mood is right for that kind of show.

On the complete opposite of the spectrum and more light hearted there is Kemono no Souja Erin which fits your 50 episode criteria. It's sort of a "hidden gem" because it hasn't been watched by that many people. It's from the same author as the Moribito Novels which someone recommend the anime in this thread.

Last Exile is steampunk goodness.

Might drop more titles here, I'll try to recommend lesser known titles mostly because from your posts you watched most popular ones.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Random Reader

Haha, exactly, The world building and the characters in One Piece are amazing so when I heard somebody compare Fairy Tail to One Piece, I immediately started reading. I read the manga so the fanservice was easier to ignore than in anime but the repetitiveness was still there...

Satsuki

If anything, read the manga. I dropped the anime too and my ratings of the manga and anime differ by 4 points. The animations aren't all that good and the fillers are pretty bad (except for the G8 one). What did it for me was Buggy being a huge pain in the ass starting with Impel Down.

last edited at May 27, 2015 6:48AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.