Forum › Fluttering Feelings [SPOILER THREAD]

joined Oct 14, 2015

Just read the Japanese FF chapter 49 in the Comico app.
Just wondered whether anybody noticed that they made Sung-pyo study abroad in the Japanese version?

Same goes with the Facebook thing, Facebook is immensely popular in Japan as well. Instead of using FB, they opt for the term SNS ( Social Networking Sites)...

Why would they change these things?
Cultural thing? Convenient thing? Censorship thing?

joined Jan 31, 2015

sandwichbread:

You read Japanese?

sandwichbread:

Just wondered whether anybody noticed that they made Sung-pyo study abroad in the Japanese version?

Same goes with the Facebook thing, Facebook is immensely popular in Japan as well. Instead of using FB, they opt for the term SNS ( Social Networking Sites)...

I have a feeling that in the Japanese version, rather than just being a direct translation of the original story, they actually changed the setting of the story such that it is actually be occurring in Japan rather than in Korea, and the characters are actually Japanese. I mean, they did rename No-rae and Seol-a (and likely everybody else) with Japanese names. If the story didn't take place in Japan, why would their names be in Japanese? Can anyone confirm whether they changed the setting?

But anyway, my point is, if they did change the setting, then seeing as there is no mandatory military service in Japan, they had to change that story point.

As for the Facebook thing, it could be that trademark laws are different in Japan, so that was done out of necessity or precaution. I don't know much about Japan's copyright/trademark laws, but I did notice that in the Japanese version of Wikipedia, articles very rarely include pictures of... anything. For instance, in the article for a book or TV series or movie, you wouldn't see any pictures of the cover or anything related to it. I would assume that the laws for using copyrighted stuff is far stricter.

As an aside, in case someone wants to know, these are their names in the Japanese version:
Kim No-rae --> 加奈リア Kana Ria
Baek Seol-a --> 白雪由紀 Shirayuki Yuki

last edited at Dec 5, 2015 8:16PM

joined Sep 26, 2015

The update is a bit late..i hope Ssamba is fine and in good health.

joined Oct 14, 2015

anonymous:

sandwichbread:

You read Japanese?

Sort of? I still need to use the dictionary quite an awful lot. I'm not a native speaker... or anywhere close to that matter (yet). But I do actually study Japanese at the moment. Like a full term study, (for the sake of my yuri addiction). -No I do not sound obsessed or anything like that at all.
I mean: who could withstand the glory of yuri's true beauty, amirite?
Of course, I couldn't tell my fellow students that that was the main reason why I wanted to study Japanese. That would just sound a bit too farfetched and preposterous. -Not to mention I won't be taken seriously... -_-'
How lucky for me, Japan is also a beautiful country with a rich history and culture and [insert more logical reasons] so nobody found out my true intentions yet. But on a more serious note: I have not one single regret picking up this study. What is there not to love about Japan?!

On another note: I love the more mature yuri, or rather stories that just make sense with nice yuri along the line.
Like: Marimite, Pìeta, Moonlight Flowers, Applause, Huskey and Mendley, Girlfriends and more recently Lilly Love, WDTFS, and of course FF, etc. I also love Nishi Uko's work. Cause, really yuri for the sake of yuri just won't cut it for me. People also tend to only translate the more mainstream/popular ones. What about all those undiscovered raw gems?
My taste is just off compared to the mainstream -who only cares about fanservice-. I'm too old for those one shots (not saying they aren't entertaining), but I just really love slow (realistic) well developed plots, like FF. And since there's a lack in this department... I decided... "If the mountain won't come to Muhammad then Muhammad must go to the mountain." Somebody has to dig in those piles of untouched FF-like yuri work in Japan (and now Korea too), amirite?

You have no idea how happy I was stumbling upon Ssamba, our yuri goddess. My cryings have finally been heard. Fluttering Feelings is just heaven!

Sorry if I'm oversharing, folks.

anonymous:

sanwichbread:

I have a feeling that in the Japanese version, [continue to read in original post, omitting here cause my post is becoming too long. Sorry]

But anyway, my point is, if they did change the setting, then seeing as there is no mandatory military service in Japan, they had to change that story point.

Exactly my thought of flow as well. But why would they do that in the first place? And I'll have to read through the whole Japanese version now, to see whether they changed the whole setting or just these specific things.
FF is really helping me out with my Japanese, especially with the terrific translations provided by Halmoni.

As for the Facebook thing, it could be that trademark laws are different in Japan, so that was done out of necessity or precaution. I don't know much about Japan's copyright/trademark laws, but I did notice that in the Japanese version of Wikipedia, articles very rarely include pictures of... anything.

Now that you mentioned it: they always leave the brand names out, indeed (in anime and other manga as well).

anonymous:
As an aside, in case someone wants to know, these are their names in the Japanese version:

^Reminded me of this:

anonymous:

And now, some (completely useless) trivia:

Kanaria's (TLC) name is actually No-rae's name in the Japanese version of FF.

In the Japanese version:

You would think they completely changed the names, but from what I can tell, they are mostly actually derived from the original names, in some fairly strange, convoluted ways.
I believe the names came about like this...

Kana:
Kim --> the hanja for Kim is 金 link --> one of the readings of 金 is kana link --> kana can also be written as 加奈 link

Ria:
... No clue. Maybe they could not find an equivalent to "No-rae" that sounds good in Japanese, so they just changed it to a random name.

Shirayuki:
Baek --> assuming the hanja is 白 link
Seol --> assuming the hanja is 雪 link
together, 白雪 --> one possible reading is Shirayuki

Yuki:
It seems to come from:
雪 --> one reading is yuki link --> yuki can also be written as 由紀 which is one of the ways the female given name Yuki is written link
So in fact, they used the word Seol 2 times -- once for the 'yuki' in the family name Shirayuki and another time as the given name, but written differently as 由紀. Maybe because 白 just by itself would have been a strange family name in Japanese. Dunno.

Meanings:

Kim/金 means gold.
It is a very common family name in Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese ("Jin" in Mandarin).

As for No-rae... no clue about the hanja. (I believe this is a native Korean word, as in not derived from Chinese, so I don't believe there is a hanja for it.)
As already mentioned in Chapter 17 and 19, it means "song". link

If my assumption of the hanja for Baek Seol is correct,
Baek Seol/백설/白雪/Shirayuki basically means "white snow".
It is in fact the translation in Korean, Japanese and Chinese for the fairy tale character Snow White:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Snow_White#Translations
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/백설#Korean

I'm not Korean nor Japanese, so if anyone sees any mistakes, feel free to correct me.

Sorry I JUST had to reshare what you've typed prior, because it was awesome. :)

Oops. And again, another wall of text. -_-'

Edit: I cannot wait for today's new chapter!! -squeeling in excitement here-

last edited at Dec 6, 2015 12:16PM

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

I wouldn't be surprised if the story line or plot was changed in the Japanese comico, I mean they even bothered changing the way halmoni carried her luggage in the chapter where Seol-A went to chase No-rae to her hometown (it was discussed way back when here)

joined Jan 31, 2015

faith:

The update is a bit late..i hope Ssamba is fine and in good health.

Gotta fai-- ... never mind.

@ sandwichbread

Thanks for the various info.

Feel free to post any "future findings" of yours about Japanese FF! I don't think that many people in the English FF community regularly checks out the Japanese version, so it's definitely good to know. :3

sandwichbread:

^Reminded me of this:

anonymous:

[...]

Sorry I JUST had to reshare what you've typed prior, because it was awesome. :)

Oh wow, someone actually read that!

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

Thanks for the compliment. <///< lolo

I semi-often write those walls of text, and TBH, I don't really expect anyone to be reading them. They're actually first and foremost for myself, kinda like, for future reference "in case". But my train of thought is basically that though it's mainly for myself, I might as well put it out there (on the internets), and if it happens to be useful/informative/relevant to someone else, however unlikely, then so much the better.

last edited at Dec 6, 2015 1:18PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

So no new chapter for today? What is going on? :/

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

@anonymous Thanks for sharing that art. I love it. Yeah, there's the same face thing, but I think she's also just a fan of her story and her story's fandom. ha-ha. I love the "extra" art. ^. ^

@sandwichbread I feel similarly, although, for me, the existing list is even shorter. For me, Girl Friends was a bit of a landmark. It's cute, and at least when it was first written there weren't so many copies. (It seemed like too many series had a long-haired blond paired up with a short-hard black-haired girl after that. Sometimes with swapped personalities. :?) The sequel and/or pseudo-sequel are solid too. It's a yuri romance story (as are the follow-on stories).

Next for me was that one kinda depressing slow one--_**Octave**_. Yeah. I loved the older character, but the other protagonist ruined it for me pretty early. I can handle dark, depressing and slow, but not ...characters like that. It's definitely mature. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, but I think it's a good manga. The narrative is not all that original but the delivery is well done. Again, overt yuri, but adult yuri romance (with an art style that I don't find displeasing).

Manga no Tsukirikata caught my attention with the off-the-beaten-path art style and character attitudes, but it stalled hard, as if the author lost interest or something...and then after reading some more recent comments on it, I've dropped looking for updates about it and no longer wondering why they stopped. It had potential?? I think the Yuri is overt but almost no contact between the couple. My memory is a bit blurry on this on the romance (or lack thereof) part of this one. (== _== ) I coulda skipped it.

The next one to really capture me (after Girlfriends) was Prism. I'm don't think I've ever been more disappointed to see a manga go on Hiatus. The protagonists are around the age of the protagonists of Girl Friends, but the personalities of the leads are...balanced?? It was refreshing. The first chapter--let's call it the intro--only stopped me from reading it, it was so contrived, but once I read past that I was rewarded (ignoring the hiatus >.<). Overt yuri. Good stuff. Ha-ha. I'd recommend reading just the chapters that are available, if they're still available. :?

Now that we've ushered in the era of_Fluttering Feelings_, my favorite yuri manga/manwha/Chinese webcomic are Girlfriends, Prism, Their Story and Fluttering Feelings.

last edited at Dec 6, 2015 1:21PM

joined Oct 14, 2015

anonymous:

@ sandwichbread

Thanks for the various info.

Feel free to post any "future findings" of yours about Japanese FF! I don't think that many people in the English FF community regularly checks out the Japanese version, so it's definitely good to know. :3

They don't?
I would love to, just 'How do one insert a picture? Or thumbnail?'. Have yet to figure out Dynasty's ways of posting. That way I can elaborate better while pointing out the differences. (I'm writing using my iPad or iPhone, -yes I'm one of those. My comp died on me.) Lucky, I already discovered italic and bold by accident.
Pictures always come in handy, while comparing. For instance, what I noticed is that the Japanese Comico's panel-layout of FF is mirrored (not sure all the time, cause I'm too busy atm to compare the 49 chapters side by side), this is of course for the convenience, since Japanese people read from the right to the left.

-However, because they mirrored the panel-layout, although you read the same thing, it feels less familiar and somehow surprisingly refreshing (and I find the Japanese way of expressing the subtle nuances quite romantic.)

anonymous:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

Thanks for the compliment. <///< lolo

I semi-often write those walls of text, and TBH, I don't really expect anyone to be reading them. They're actually first and foremost for myself, kinda like, for future reference "in case". But my train of thought is basically that though it's mainly for myself, I might as well put it out there (on the internets), and if it happens to be useful/informative/relevant to someone else, however unlikely, then so much the better.

Are you kidding me? You are super hilarious!! And very insightful, I for one, enjoy reading your posts quite a lot (and I'm sure I'm not the only one.)

And really, I love how articulated and well thought out the posts here are, the FF forum that is. The comments (the longer and the more people share, the better) really make my week so much more enjoyable.

MacySan
So no new chapter for today? What is going on? :/

Hopefully nothing.

ffins07
@anonymous Thanks for sharing that art. I love it. Yeah, there's the same face thing, but I think she's also just a fan of her story and her story's fandom. ha-ha. I love the "extra" art. ^. ^

Yes indeed, thanks for the art (as always). Hopefully, someone will translate it properly for us.
We should also celebrate anonymous surpassing the 1k posts landmark.
I'll cheers to that and to the many more awesome posts you'll be sharing with us. Yay to the future fanarts being uploaded in advance!

ffins07
Now that we've ushered in the era of_Fluttering Feelings_, my favorite yuri manga/manwha/Chinese webcomic are Girlfriends, Prism, Their Story and Fluttering Feelings.

I feel you, both with Octave and with Manga no Tsukurikata, the latter just somehow manage to throw all it had going out of the window.
(Have you read the other titles I mentioned in the previous posts? You might like stories like Lilly Love and Moonlight Flowers. MF has a mature plot, though maybe a tad shallowish, but this is more due to the fact that it is quite old, and that the story was produced in an era where yuri was even less popular, and men are more dominantly ruling the scepter. The plot has the typical dark trophs, but at least it delves into some yuri issues of that era.
Prism, I was halfway through reading it, till I noticed the hiatus, so I abandoned ship (before it's too late).

Though none can beat FF when it comes to the flutters.

last edited at Dec 6, 2015 3:02PM

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Woah! Still no chapter! I was so looking forward to going back home and reading it!.. Ssamba, I pray for you and hope you're well! 행운을 빌어 요!

I wonder what is the coming chapter going to be about? I guess we still need a closure between No-rae and Sung-pyo. Like not in a flashback, but in the "now" time. Perhaps he'll ask No-rae if she would mind starting from scratch. It would be sweet if she replies "Sorry, I have somebody I'm in love with now! A very precious person." And then runs away and jump-hugs Seol-a, who's waiting No-rae at the college gates to go for a date.

last edited at Dec 6, 2015 3:05PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Woah! Still no chapter! I was so looking forward to going back home and reading it!.. Ssamba, I pray for you and hope you're well! 행운을 빌어 요!

I wonder what is the coming chapter going to be about? I guess we still need a closure between No-rae and Sung-pyo. Like not in a flashback, but in the "now" time. Perhaps he'll ask No-rae if she would mind starting from scratch. It would be sweet if she replies "Sorry, I have somebody I'm in love with now! A very precious person." And then runs away and jump-hugs Seol-a, who's waiting No-rae at the college gates to go for a date.

Maybe that will happen but I don't think now. I think there will be some chapters with Seol-A and No-Rae again until Christmass (in FF) is over and after the holidays Sung-Pyo comes back and then this happens

joined Jan 31, 2015

@ sandwichbread

For the Markdown used for formatting, check the sticky thread at the top of the forum. Also, I have a post in cheatsheet format at the bottom of the first page.

last edited at Dec 6, 2015 3:18PM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

마을이 끝났어여ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ
처음 예고편 봤을 땐 여름도 다 지났는데 무슨 호러드라마냐 싶었는디ㅠㅠ
보면 볼수록 와 이거 장난아니다 싶더라구요.
사실 제가 오컬트물을 좀 좋아라 하거든요...;
근데 이건 무슨 오컬트+미스테리+싸이코드라마... 이러니 어떻게 안 볼 수가 있나여ㅠㅠ
드라마 자체도 너무 좋았지만 드라마가 메시지를 시사하는 방식도 상당히 직접적이고 강렬해서..
여운이 많이 남네요...
하...잘가요 혜진쌤ㅠㅠ 잘가요 소윤쌤..ㅠㅠ

"'The Village' has endedㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ
I saw the trailer near the end of summer and thought, 'What is this horror drama'ㅠㅠ
But as I kept on watching it, I thought, 'Wow this is no joke'.
Truthfully, I kind of like occult stuff...;
But this drama was occult + mystery + psycho... So I just had to watch itㅠㅠ
I loved the drama itself, but the way it delivered certain messages was pretty strong and direct..
I'm still thinking about it...
Sigh...Farewell, teacher Hye-jinㅠㅠ Farewell, teacher So-yoon..ㅠㅠ"

*Ssamba is referring to a Korean drama called "The Village: Achiara's Secret".

wtf why would they do that LOL Korean translations of Japanese manga don't suddenly change names or story elements that aren't consistent with our culture. That reminds me of how a lot of Japanese games/anime in the past used to get americanized when they were brought over to the U.S.

How is the Japanese version gonna explain the princess leia lamb towels + pink uniforms in chapter 53???

joined Mar 28, 2014

*Ssamba is referring to a Korean drama called "The Village: Achiara's Secret".

wow, I wonder if there's an English version! If it influences Ssamba she might leave some references in FF. Thank you for the TL, halmoni!

UPD: obviously there is...

How is the Japanese version gonna explain the princess leia lamb towels + pink uniforms in chapter 53???

LOL, they'll build a sauna like that first. They will then use manga to advertise it. PROFIT!

last edited at Dec 6, 2015 3:52PM

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

Ssamba will re-draw this with towel on the head like in Japanese onsen and for pink uniforms = towel around the body :>?

Jpegnagasawa
joined Feb 19, 2014

still no Chappy?

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

still no Chappy?

Nope. Ssamba was too hooked with The Village

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

Ssamba will re-draw this with towel on the head like in Japanese onsen and for pink uniforms = towel around the body :>?

Or maybe they'll turn it to No-Rae and Seol-A cosplaying as Princess lea at comic con

Still no new chapter and what worries me is that there weren't any message about the chapter being delayed from Ssmba like usual. Hopefully she's alright.

last edited at Dec 6, 2015 4:16PM

Seolaposescolor2
joined Nov 9, 2014

Or maybe they'll turn it to No-Rae and Seol-A cosplaying as Princess lea at comic con

Still no new chapter and what worries me is that there weren't any message about the chapter being delayed from Ssmba like usual. Hopefully she's alright.

I hope Ssamba is well.

joined Dec 9, 2014

still no Chappy?

Nope. Ssamba was too hooked with The Village

Lol this actually makes makes me curious about watching The Village. I would see it but it hard to search something in Korean.
Maybe it's Comico's fault? Because in Comico it says new chapter is up.

joined Mar 28, 2014

Lol this actually makes makes me curious about watching The Village. I would see it but it hard to search something in Korean.

google "The Village: Achiara's Secret" and switch your search results to Videos. I've already watched the first eppy... LOL

joined Dec 9, 2014

google "The Village: Achiara's Secret" and switch your search results to Videos. I've already watched the first eppy... LOL

Ohh found it. Haha thanks

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

Still no update, and I was hoping it will be released at previous release hour but no :/

joined Jan 31, 2015

It's out.

Chapter 54
http://comico.toast.com/titles/85/chapters/58

last edited at Dec 6, 2015 5:13PM

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

Who is the Seol-a lookalike with neck brace? Her mother? But no crows feet...

And No-rae's hair is indeed longer. It's looking great.

last edited at Dec 6, 2015 5:13PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.