Forum › Gal and Otaku can't understand each other discussion

Samidare
joined Jul 21, 2014

Okay, so for whatever it's worth, here's most of the context in which I made that quoted post up top:

translator's only blog post: http://hyassin.com/weebs.php?id=1
random twitter post: https://twitter.com/hyassin19/status/755848080650407936
follow list: https://twitter.com/hyassin19/following

I checked out the links in the intro page because it was weird to see "faggets" written on a G-rated yuri translation. The combination of complaints about "fat ugly weeb girls and feminine males without any balls" with alt-right/anti-feminist links made it hard to "take the joke" all that well.

That said, this relies on a mix of political and social opinions that...aren't exactly universal in fan communities like this. When I realized "calling people faggots ~ironically~ isn't cool" might be a dicey statement on its own, I regretted bringing it up and tried to bail out.

But...yeah. It'd be nice not to see bonus jokes(?) like that, one way or another.

joined Feb 23, 2013

Oh no, scanlator has different opinions than I! Quick, to the safe space and let's call him shitty!

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Oh no, scanlator has different opinions than I! Quick, to the safe space and let's call him shitty!

That's a nice strawman you got there, did you build it yourself? oO

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Even if you accept the idea that "using a slur is a joke" is an "opinion", it's a pretty shitty opinion and I stand by my previous statements. Having opinions doesn't let you escape criticism, shockingly!

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Even if you accept the idea that "using a slur is a joke" is an "opinion", it's a pretty shitty opinion and I stand by my previous statements. Having opinions doesn't let you escape criticism, shockingly!

I love the wah wah you can't take criticism, safe spaces wah, response you get when you criticise certain kinds of people.

Aha2
joined Dec 27, 2015

takes off wig to reveal slightly shorter hair of the exact same color
What is it with manga and forgetting that extensions are a thing and they're a hell of a lot easier and more real-looking than wigs?

In this case the wig is used to shorten her fringe, otherwise her hair usually covers her right eye and prevents people from recognising her. Somewhat surprised that the fans can't recognise Ten without her right eye though

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Fun read. Dont care about the whole drama regarding the intro page, I usually don't read those kind of things, so wouldn't have noticed anything wrong there if people didn't point it out.

Cromartie%20highscool
joined Jun 7, 2014

OK guys, let's just enjoy the yuri

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I love the internet, very amusing.

Femshep%20x%20liara%20avatar
joined Dec 8, 2013

Leon posted:

What is it with manga and forgetting that extensions are a thing and they're a hell of a lot easier and more real-looking than wigs?

In this case the wig is used to shorten her fringe, otherwise her hair usually covers her right eye and prevents people from recognising her. Somewhat surprised that the fans can't recognise Ten without her right eye though

I mean all Superman had to do was wear glasses and a suit and apparently the love of his life was completely flummoxed.

alexuh55 posted:

OK guys, let's just enjoy the yuri

What is this "yuri" you speak of?

last edited at Aug 20, 2016 5:02PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nez Note

Just gonna step in as mod to note that "faggot", "fag" and the like aren't acceptable here in general, and I don't really care how edgy or dedicated to Freeze Peach you are. And don't even try that South Park "fag" and "gay" are different things nonsense, I ain't buyin' it.

Now, as others have rightly pointed out, it's time to enjoy the yuri.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Serious question time!

Why is this manga called "Gal and Otaku can't understand each other" when the Gal is the Otaku?

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Serious question time!

Why is this manga called "Gal and Otaku can't understand each other" when the Gal is the Otaku?

I think the idea is supposed to be that both girls are both gals and otakus, so the title is a sort of multiple entendre.

Untitled%20design
joined Jul 13, 2016

Is it actually yuri? I like the story but I'm still curious cause it's not tagged as such :0

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Is it actually yuri? I like the story but I'm still curious cause it's not tagged as such :0

It gets very subtext heavy as it goes on.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Hey everyone,

Sorry, I failed you as an uploader! Unfortunately whilst reading this manga I didn't pay much attention (re: any) to the credits pages. And because of that, a lot of people were tipped into something they didn't want to see. Hopefully it didn't rob you of any pleasurable sensations you may have experienced while reading the manga otherwise.

After reading everything that's been posted, we've decided to remove the page that caused this. For those who have only been reading up to this point, the page in question was an extra page added by the scanlation with a joke made in poor taste. That is all. We feel this was the best solution in the heat of the moment, but are as always listening for further feedback.

Uh, it's been a long time since I posted so I don't really remember how to end properly. I guess I'll just say, have a nice day!

last edited at Aug 20, 2016 7:37PM

joined Aug 17, 2016

Sooner or later it will become Yuri *patiently waits *

Aha2
joined Dec 27, 2015

Leon posted:

I mean all Superman had to do was wear glasses and a suit and apparently the love of his life was completely flummoxed.

HAHAHA damn, wonder if she'd identify a llama as Clark Kent if it was donned a suit and wore glasses

joined Mar 6, 2015

It gets very subtext heavy as it goes on.

I just hope that the subtext would be lighter than A Room For Two...

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Just wanna say thanks to OP and Nez. I won't be reading this translated version anymore but it's good to know you won't let slurs hang around. <3

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

I'm hoping to get more backstory on Otonashi and her career choice, and hopefully some more nice doki-doki moments. Not sure if its the pacing or the way stuff is worded---but it feels slightly choppy.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

I'm hoping to get more backstory on Otonashi and her career choice, and hopefully some more nice doki-doki moments. Not sure if its the pacing or the way stuff is worded---but it feels slightly choppy.

I was a little disoriented at at first, too. But then in the middle of chapter 2 I realized it's 4 koma.

Rize_by_kr0npr1nz-d88nnll
joined Oct 27, 2015

wow what a surprise i like a story with no yuri tag in it because it has better plot than the yuri tagged ones

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

Such a shame Otonashi has a demon sealed in her eye.

XD Hahaha With a reason like that it's amazing that they'd hang out with her at all.

To reply you must either login or sign up.