Forum › Posts by Omega Deuse

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

So, just to be clear, if Wakaba had a lover, she'd want to have a "sleepover" with them? Either she's much hornier, much more innocent, or much more aware of her preferences than I previously thought.

Also, Wakaba, you're no longer allowed to say say Komaki's confusing after ending your date like that.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Remember everyone, a triangle is a shape formed by two points, which share a direct connection, and a third, unconnected, point that's wondering why it's all alone.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
Touyarokii-1773073575391440991-img1

So, Sonia's drunk and Nessa's brain has stopped working. I can dig it.

Been a while since I last saw this ship, in Dynasty or otherwise

On another hand, there's no visible foam in those cups, so I'll assume that's juice and not beer

Would something like mead foam?

Omega Deuse
Love Bullet discussion 14 Apr 00:40
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Unless I'm forgetting some exposition from the previous chapters, I think one has to go into this series under the assumption that Love (that is, actual mutual romance) is not a thing that just happens in the organic way we think of it but always by the hand of a cupid.

based on chapter 5, where we see characters being clearly lovestruck without cupid intervention, it follows that love is something that can happen, and the work of a cupid is to ensure it does happen.

The "rules" of Love Bullet's universe are being doled out in in small chunks, and from what we know love must be sparked by Cupids. But whether those feelings last or fade away afterwards is up to each human and their interactions with the person they fall for. The author mentioned in her interview that she made a world "where love is only possible thanks to Cupids". So we can assume that anyone who shows up in already in love has had those feelings triggered by another Cupid's love bullet/bomb in the past, which was stated to be the case for Aoi and Daito in Chapter 0's love triangle.

That might be what the author tries to depict. That is not what the autor does depict.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/love_bullet_ch05#10
Clearly already in love waaaay before being shot by anyone.(1) (Unlike https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/love_bullet_ch05#5 who is clearly shot from off-panel by someone else).
If those are the setting rules, then the author ignored them (an author, ignoring the setting's rules in the name of the actual story? OUTRAGEOUS!) :-)

(1) I mean, with the whole point of the chapter being that it's going to be Koharu the one that will match that girl and Aki, to say that she has not yet being shot is a safe-ish bet.

It's entirely possible some, or all, of her suitors were shot before Koharu even arrived, as was the case with the first chapter, so there's no need for them to be shot now. Koharu's here to shoot her friend so she'll [i]reciprocate[/i] someone's feelings. She could also create a new suitor, if she feels the need to, but that isn't actually necessary.

Omega Deuse
Love Bullet discussion 13 Apr 18:02
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Kanna, and her love of explosives, is amazing. There's something that really tickles me about the way she set up that frag grenade and Chiyo's reaction to it. Part of me really wants to see this series get an animated adaptation, but only if it can go to a studio that can do the fight scenes justice.

What dissapointed, i thouhgt sempai will be good on punches but not
And the love story is not finished but it seen will be aimed for a girl too

Keep in mind that Chiyo's been set up as an absolute beast and combat junkie (plus there may be something unusual going on with her), so just keeping up with her her means Kanna's pretty good at qcq; she's just not "block bullets, while mid-air, with your Uzis" good. From what we've seen her real specialty is tactics and exploiting the advantages of her decidedly non-standard loadout, which is exactly how she beat Chiyo here.

last edited at Apr 13, 2024 6:03PM

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
Stickyfingers

What's the context for this?

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
Flask00-1758082564563017867-img1

^That's an interesting perspective, though for me the heart series is the relationship of Cocona and Papika. So they're very much my OTP and are very central to my whole enjoyment of the series.

There relationship is definitely central to the series, but as we learn more about Papika's past, it felt more like she was Cocona's mother, before her memory issues, and the remnants of those memories are what connected them. Once she started remembering her past and Mimi, it felt weird that their connection remained romantic, rather than becoming more familial, and I think allowing their relationship to evolve in that direction would have been interesting.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Meanwhile, Uncle is such an awesome dork. It's nice when it's a story about teens but some of the adults have actual personalities rather than just being "responsible parental figure #3".

I don't know. I story with "Parent #3" sounds like it's doing something unusual, at least.

Arita is clearly leaning forward in the car to distract the adults and give the girls some space for sneaky handholding by blocking the rear-view mirror.

More like saving them from the awkwardness of being pressed up against each other with the parental figures right there. Of course, going by Kanna's reaction, everyone in that car knows the score.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
Flask00-1758082564563017867-img1

I still wish Papika ended up with Mimi and Cocono ended up with Yayika.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I kind-of love Natsuko dying inside on the cover image, just realizing who her competition is.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
__4zm-1774288136715268341-img1

Huh. For some reason, I figured Utena was the boss of a different kind of dungeon.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I'm impressed. Translating a chapter into a conlang is a new level of silly for this day and Tokipona is possibly the best choice, both in general and for this manga.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Subtext at best methinks.

Right? I don't know what everyone else is going on about. Clearly they're just roommates.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I remain a fan of this kind-of gonzo nonsense that's just this side of coherent, while still being completely off the wall. The character designs and expression are also a lot of fun, so I'd love to see more from this artist.

Local small child makes wmd's using only apples, sugar, salt, flour, sugar, eggs, and water.

"How the fuck do you even do that" says local chemist

-Bunbunmaru reporting

It helps that they're less apples and more apple shaped bundles of Flandre's power. Really, the impressive part isn't that they keep exploding, but that Flandre was able to keep them from exploding long enough to turn them into baked goods and wine.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Yeah I don't expect most of the audience is taking this too seriously. It's pretty outlandish already and that's funny. Plus we're in on the joke--they both clearly like each other, Wakaba clearly is in a bit of denial and doesn't have to be doing these things but wants to for her own reasons (that we can probably imagine).

Yes, the games and "business deals" of this type (also seen in the likes of Arioto, and Buying My Classmate Once A Week) are supposed to give the main character permission to do something she already wants to do. "Wow, I can't believe I lost the punishment game again. Nothing bad would happen to me if I refused to play along with her rules, but I'm going to do it anyway because I'm too stubborn/proud/honorable to back down."

The intended purpose is not to obfuscate desire or lesbianism, as the relationship basically always ends up growing past the confines of the game or "business deal". It might be helpful to think of it as an even more unserious case of the "stuck together" trope in the romance genre, filling the same role as e.g. arranged marriages and "fake dating" situations.

Now I want a show that uses that setup, but a few episodes in it gets revealed that they're both just have a dom/sub kink, with a gameshow twist, and they're completely open with each other about what they're planning.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Yeah that's what I mean. Out of the two of them, Komaki is definitely crushing on Wakaba, so that scene never registered as anything but misleading. That's why I was confused by the worry.

It's less worry and more that it would be frustrating. "Girl crushes on other girl but goes out with some random guy for whatever reason" is a very unfun trope (I'll not go into the details of why, as people will interpret it differently, but I feel uncomfortable every time that trope is used). And it does affect their interactions if Komaki went out with someone in the past, considering the way she behaves towards Wakaba now hits very different if she has relationship experience.

If Wakaba's interaction was correct and Komaki dated that dude, it would be nice to know that now to interpret Komaki's actions as a change of direction, rather than learn it later and repaint all the previous chapters in a negative light. And if it was misleading, that would be nice to know to see their game as an awkward first love instead of being left in the dark.

I could be misunderstanding, but that doesn't feel like a fair standard. It almost feels like you're saying either "you shouldn't date anyone before getting together with your true love" or "any amount of experience, especially if it's with a boy, means she should ..." I don't actually know how to finish that one? Know how to properly approach Wakaba? Treat her in a specific way? How exactly would Komaki going out with a guy (or even multiple guys) before finally trying to get together with Wakaba cast their current relationship in a negative light (assuming she's not currently with some guy, which would be a completely different issue)?

Maybe she did go out with that first guy, either out of curiosity or because she was somewhat attracted to him, but then she realized that either A) She didn't like him all that much and/or B) She much prefers Wakaba. That wouldn't mean she actually has much experience with romantic relationships, let alone how to start a romantic relationship with another girl, who she already has a non-relationship with, especially with their existing dynamic.

In fact, I'd go a step further. Most people seem to view Komaki as perfect, so it wouldn't surprise me if she's gotten lots of confessions (potentially from both genders), and she may or may not have accepted some of them. However, from what we've seen, she doesn't actually like being viewed in this way—she seems to find it very alienating and, possibly, unrealistic—so any relationship based on that premise probably wouldn't feel good to her and she probably doesn't want to repeat those patterns here. Going back to what you said before, it may be that Komaki has experience in [i]bad[/i] romances specifically.

Wakaba, by contrast, is one of the few people, if not the only one, who recognizes Komaki as a human and who wants her to be treated as such. That would be very appealing in a partner, but it also means Komaki probably doesn't know how to approach this kind of change in their relationship, especially if she still wants Wakaba to pull her down from the pedestal she's been forced on. After all, she can't just wait for Wakaba to confess to her (or accept a confession from her) out of deference to her perfection, not that Komaki would want her to.

The whole soda metaphor was so strange and pointless lol

That scene actually reminded me of my own experience with the band Dear Hoof. Originally, I started listening to them because they were kind-of weird and off-putting, but as I listened to them I developed a better understanding of the nuance and thought that goes into their songs and the way the different pieces come together, in unique ways, to form a compete picture. Now they're one of my favorite bands and I don't feel the original sense of off-putting discordance that originally attracted me to them.

With that said, I don't think that's quite what Komaki was going for here, since she admits that the mix tastes bad to her. Instead, I think she's more focused on the first part of my experience—that of visibly enjoying something that would be weird and uncomfortable for most people—except instead of doing it to make herself seem more sophisticated, she's doing it to seem less perfect. Rather than thinking she's perfect regardless of what she does, as Wakaba assumes, she actually wants people to be put-off and to see it as a flaw, so they realize she isn't perfect.

That's also where the metaphor about mixing "perfect" drinks, and Wakaba's addition about them being better in a pure form comes in. The former is saying that even if all of the individual components are "perfect" at their jobs, it doesn't mean the combined whole is without flaws, in much the same way as a person is not a an atomic existence and even if they have multiple capacities that might be described as "perfect" describing the overall mix as perfect is just kind of silly. That's not how composites or people work.

Wakaba's part, seems to be more about how society views people/things and hinting at Komaki's true motivation, rather than the one Wakaba assumes she has. Specifically, she's saying that society expects things to exist in simple, uncomplicated, and well known forms. It wants pure coke, tea, and what have you, both because that makes the world easier to understand and because it lets you avoid potentially uncomfortable experiences, like bad drink mixes. If we follow the metaphor back to Komaki, it's saying society wants her to be a "pure" idol, the "Perfect Savant" who can be neatly slotted into her space in their world view, without needlessly complicating things by making them question their own efforts or accomplishments. After all, she's "Perfect" so of course they don't compare, who could? Ignore the "normal girl" who consistently comes in close second to her, based on pure effort and determination. She is "not perfect" so her role is to fail to reach perfection, and how close she comes can also be ignored, even though coming in a close second on all of their challenges should still put her miles ahead of literally everyone else.

Actually, I don't think that last part has been touched on much in these comments. Sure, Wakaba keeps losing, but that's not for lack of trying. She comes incredibly close on all of her challenges and, if we take Komaki's performance as the benchmark for a perfect success, then consistently coming within inches of perfection [i]in all of her endeavors[/i] still makes Wakaba an amazing person. In fact, I'd wager that someone with her record would normally be viewed as some sort of perfect and untouchable school idol, but here Komaki's presence shields her from that moniker and the isolation it brings. Maybe things would be different if one of them was a man—or if Japan was more accepting of homosexual relationships—and they could be seen as some sort of "Perfect Power Couple", but as things stand Komaki being put on a pedestal means Wakaba gets to enjoy a normal life. In many ways, Wakaba is probably leading the life Komaki wants for her self. She's a highly competent and well respected person, but she's also allowed to be a flawed human being who doesn't need to succeed at everything, on her first try and with no apparent effort.

Orrr maybe I'm just reading too much into things and overanalyzing a simple comedy manga. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Yuko Ichihara, is that you?

I know they're completely unrelated, but this is giving me some serious xxxHolic vibes and I'm always down for those.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
4brandonjs4-1767551424227913899-img1

Who's the girl next to Mario?

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

With that said, given the Ibuki group seems to sell alcohol, Watanabe works at a bar, an at least a few of their families are rich, I suspect this is going to be less a case of "quickly make a substitution" and more "quickly go get the alcohol, but there'll be some complications due to the source."

Called it!

Well, called half of it. I didn't see the wolf monster showing up for round 2. For a series that started as almost pure romantic fluff, the author has gotten good at intermixing the occasional bout of action.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

The only thing we've seen that even hints at there being any het is a single scene of the main character seeing Komaki talking to a guy and that scene includes a closeup of Komaki's face where she doesn't look particularly thrilled to be there. We have no idea of what was said, what happened next, who that guy was, or what their relationship is.

The implication is that Wakaba interpreted that scene as a confession and that Komaki accepted (or she was the one confessing and the guy accepted, but at the same time we're talking about Komaki—The girl who went out of her way to passionately french Wakaba and who wants to see her strip. Something tells me Wakaba's interpretation of that scene isn't 100% correct and/or the implication that scene is presenting is intentionally misleading. Either way, I think the main take is supposed to be "Wakaba got jealous at the idea of Komaki going out with someone else, even if she doesn't consciously realize that's what happened," not "one or more of these girls is straight and definitely not jonesing for a pack of skittles."

last edited at Mar 7, 2024 4:53PM

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
The_raineman-1757458340157042750-img1

There's something odd about how nonplussed IRyS looks in this, like it's just another day at the office.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
Biululu999-1763916664922595838-img1

But what about Tali if you're FemShep?

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

What's not shown is that the brother is also gay and they're only dating so people don't bother them.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I can't help but feel that going out of your way to harass and lible a close associate of the Queen, and the Queen herself, is a bad idea. Especially when said Queen is also the head of the religion you serve. But hey, it's not like there's any connection between pissing off absolute monarchs and drastically reduced life expectancies.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I can't help but feel that going out of your way to harass and lible a close associate of the Queen, and the Queen herself, is a bad idea. Especially when said Queen is also the head of the religion you serve. But hey, it's not like there's any connection between pissing off absolute monarchs and drastically reduced life expectancies.