Forum › My Girlfriend's Not Here Today discussion

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

wait why was this chapter kind of awesome

Ikr?
I think I'm going to stop writing in this thread. Every new chapter makes me feel like composing an essay filled with all my impressions and interpretations and suspicions and vaticinations and...
Well you get the idea. I just don't have the time.

PS: One thing I'm going to remark is this: it's fucking unbelievable how HOT the moms are! I knew already that Iwami Kiyoko could draw super sexy teenagers, but damn, those moms! It's to a point that I just don't care if they are good moms or bad moms, were I in the position of the child we would need Taiyaki to write the story of what I would do.

last edited at Feb 19, 2024 11:07PM

joined Jun 3, 2014

I hope Fuuko forgets about any resentment she has towards her first crush and becomes her baby's honorary aunt, that'll be so cute.

My og comment seems to be coming true. Idk if the resentment will fully go away but at least the baby will be loved and that's all I want

The moms need girlfriend too
Also, how the baby has this much hair?

Anime babies can't be bald, that'll be blasphemy

But for real, I don't think these mangakas know what infants look like. There's a birthrate decline in Japan after all

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

Oh no the characters are becoming slightly sympathetic

joined Apr 10, 2023

I hope Fuuko forgets about any resentment she has towards her first crush and becomes her baby's honorary aunt, that'll be so cute.

My og comment seems to be coming true. Idk if the resentment will fully go away but at least the baby will be loved and that's all I want

The moms need girlfriend too
Also, how the baby has this much hair?

Anime babies can't be bald, that'll be blasphemy

But for real, I don't think these mangakas know what infants look like. There's a birthrate decline in Japan after all

Sometimes babies can in fact be born with that much hair, especially if they're born a bit late. I mean it's actually probably the baby's appearance being fudged a bit for aesthetics because that's a much cuter look than a typical newborn, but it IS possible lol.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I thought the baby was supposed to be more a couple months old at this point but I suppose that's the part of the storyline I paid the least attention to

joined Apr 29, 2018

So she just see the stupid baby and that's it? problems solved? no broken heart anymore ? talk about ridiculous.

last edited at Feb 20, 2024 12:59AM

joined Jan 11, 2022

Thanks a lot for your hard work Rehashed/Thousand Lillies!

joined Mar 8, 2019

Still seriously hoping for Fuuko/Yuni but it seems more like it's going to end with everyone parting ways after having learned their lessons with an epilogue of an open ending with all three meeting years down the line as well-adjusted adults.

joined Apr 10, 2023

So she just see the stupid baby and that's it? problems solved? no broken heart anymore ? talk about ridiculous.

That would be ridiculous if it happened but I have no idea why you'd assume so. People who are sad can still enjoy happy moments like seeing a baby niece for the first time.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

The bit about the kitty dying is too real goddamit ;_;

And oof, abusive parents. What's with this chapter?

At least Yuni's mom is nice.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Someone's gotten meaningful character development in my sexytimes emotional trainwreck!

I demand to see the manager!

Manager: is there a problem?

You’re all out of light D/S sexytimes, dammit! And I had a coupon!

joined Sep 12, 2023

PS: One thing I'm going to remark is this: it's fucking unbelievable how HOT the moms are! I knew already that Iwami Kiyoko could draw super sexy teenagers, but damn, those moms! It's to a point that I just don't care if they are good moms or bad moms, were I in the position of the child we would need Taiyaki to write the story of what I would do.

I lol'ed at the Taiyaki reference. :)
I agree that both moms are smoking hot and surely Siggy F had in mind moms like these ones when he posited Oedipus complex. Wow! You can almost forgive Fuuko's mom's bad attitude since she has that kinda looks.

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

I am quite amazed about how quick Yuni's mom has caught on. The translation in the panel of p.18 or 188 raw, plus my own understanding are
Yuni's mom: "Your girlfriend did" (Kanojiuka?) Girlfriend?
Yuni: "......"(......) ......
Yuni "Nah, someone else"(Uun Chiu) Wrong
Yuni's mom "What was that pause just now?"(Nani ima no ma) What was that pause?
Yuni "Huh? I didn't..."(Ha? Betsu ni) Huh? Nothing.
Yuni's mom "Eh? Two timing?"(Aijin) Lover?
Yuni "Phrasing!" (iikata) Way to say it.

Must be intuition or personal experience, using both words girlfriend and lover in a conversation with her daughter, assuming that she has both. However she does not seem to imply Yuni is two timing (does something wrong).

last edited at Feb 20, 2024 10:28AM

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I am quite amazed about how quick Yuni's mom has caught on. The translation in the panel of p.18 or 188 raw, plus my own understanding are

Must be intuition or personal experience, using both words girlfriend and lover in a conversation with her daughter, assuming that she has both. However she does not seem to imply Yuni is two timing (does something wrong).

You intuition is wrong and I'd appreciate it if you didn't invent your own stuff with your Google translate knowledge of Japanese and try to spread doubt or misinformation. You're not trying to translate manga I hope.

I was confused by your previous question about "lover", now I see why. You're using google translate or DeepL.

愛人 isn't a generic lover here. It's specifically in the meaning of mistress, or, if you want "the person I love sexually as opposed to the person I'm married to/in an official relationship with".

If she meant a "lover" it would be 恋人 (the one you love)

Here, I found a video that explains the difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0gvr2LOWk

Or here, an actual Japanese answering the question: https://hinative.com/questions/13485754 : 浮気相手 "Adulterous lover".

So, YES, she implies two-timing. Or her reaction, with the sparkling eye, doesn't makes sense.

And "chigau" doesn't only mean wrong, it means "different", so here it's a "no, different" (ie, not my girlfriend, someone else).

Are you Masina?

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

-Mother's face looks very similar like face of Nanase!

It could be coincidence if there's not another similarity:
-Mother was always busy and Yuni waited for her to come home.

Sounds familiar?
I'm curious if someone noticed same things as me, or have any thoughts about what I said?

Don't see the facial similarity, but you're cooking with the similarity between Yuni's mom and Nanase.
Both are too busy to spend much time with Yuni, who is lonely while she waits for them.

I know I'm reading into this too much, but I saw parallels with the exchange about eating pancakes:
Yuni: "Here's your yakisoba(Nanase)"
Yuni's mom: "Tonight I want pancakes(Fuuko), not yakisoba(Nanase)!"
Yuni: "Ok you can have pancakes(Fuuko), just make sure you eat the yakisoba(Nanase) tomorrow."

That aside, Yuni's dead cat clearly represents Fuuko. The cat kept her from feeling lonely. She grew extremely attached to it and misses it now that it's gone.
Yuni wondering why the cat had to die despite trying so hard to live...
Yuni being unwilling to move on, choosing to endure the loneliness instead of getting a new pet...
Yuni was devastated about the cat dying but felt just as bad about how her reaction made her mom cry...
All are topics that could be dissected.

I'd always considered this more of a guilty pleasure "watching a car crash" type of read, but this chapter felt like it had a ton of depth.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

This chapter felt very differently than the previous chapters. Probably cus it didn't focus on the cheating.

Qy1n9jd3ivu
joined Dec 23, 2018

-Mother's face looks very similar like face of Nanase!

It could be coincidence if there's not another similarity:
-Mother was always busy and Yuni waited for her to come home.

Sounds familiar?
I'm curious if someone noticed same things as me, or have any thoughts about what I said?

Don't see the facial similarity, but you're cooking with the similarity between Yuni's mom and Nanase.
Both are too busy to spend much time with Yuni, who is lonely while she waits for them.

It's not that I am implying something incestuous between Yuni and her mom, talking about their similarities. I just wanted to say that Yuni has an ideal of woman, formed on image of her mother.
I carefully observed facial features of mom and Nanase, there are certain similarities in shape, eyes, and expressions.
And that other similarity, a business, and always leaving Yuni waiting for them.

Yuni simply projected the image of her mother finding resemblance of it in Nanase, because that's the best she could have known, that's how she grew up. It's "the model" Yuni was subconsciously searching for.

Now, there's the question, is it enough to get physical resemblance of your ideal type of woman in someone else who fits even "the style" (both of them are professionally always busy)?
It's not enough, as we saw from the previous drama.
What was lacking here is the third part of Yuni's ideal woman?
It's receiving AFFECTION of her mother!

Is it now more clear why she was confused by coldness of Nanase?
Is it now possible to see clearly the reasons why she cheated?

Yuni is someone who was raised with great amount of affection and she is dying without it. She found "the lacking part" in Fuuko.
She simply connected all 3 parts of her ideal woman through Nanase and Fuuko together, to get the feeling of wholeness, to feel like home.

Now she is maturing, faced with the problem of illusion of the image of her ideal woman, because her priorities are not anymore based on physical appearance and attraction, she wants to feel connection, to feel intimacy with someone and share it.
She grew up from craving affection too, thinking about her future.
She does not need her mother anymore, she grew up.

I hope my remarks about resemblance, and their explanation, can be helpful to people to understand Yuni better and forgive her mistakes of her youth (cheating) and start to see depth of her character growth.

edit:
To add to comment to the other user who mentioned resemblance between Yuni's cat and Fuuko, I completely agree with symbolism. (and their description above is beautiful)
Yuni's true love is actually in allegory of that cat, it's all she needs to be happy. All she streams.
It's true, her cat died, but Fuuko is alive. And Yuni is not anymore that little girl.

last edited at Feb 20, 2024 7:48PM

joined Apr 6, 2019

@HayaH I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis.

This guy would agree too.

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

愛人 isn't a generic lover here. It's specifically in the meaning of mistress, or, if you want "the person I love sexually as opposed to the person I'm married to/in an official relationship with".

If she meant a "lover" it would be 恋人 (the one you love)

Actually, my first impression is indeed "mistress", aijin is definitely physical. I did not use AI, nor know how to.

Yes, Aijin and Koibito have huge differences. The fact that her mom chooses aijin means she knows koibito is the same person as the "kanojou". Consider what sort of job she has, Yuni's mom definitely knows something is up even with that slight pause yuni gives out. I am sure lots of her customers have pauses when asked if they were married....

In any case, my own understanding from reading the raw ends up almost the same as your interpretation, that is important because to me scanlation is like psuedo-canon,in fact a lot of times it is better than official translation. So thank you for the hard work so that I know my understanding is correct as opposed to off the mark.

last edited at Feb 20, 2024 10:31PM

joined May 7, 2017

That was surprisingly the best chapter in the slowest pace this manga has ever been so far. Gave this story a hard time early on but you know what given the recent draught of good stories of this genre in recent times, this story is without a doubt one of top dogs of this genre.

On a devilish note: I hope the moms hook up with each other. Yuni's mother corrupting Fuuko's would be peak debauchery..

joined Apr 10, 2023

That was surprisingly the best chapter in the slowest pace this manga has ever been so far. Gave this story a hard time early on but you know what given the recent draught of good stories of this genre in recent times, this story is without a doubt one of top dogs of this genre.

On a devilish note: I hope the moms hook up with each other. Yuni's mother corrupting Fuuko's would be peak debauchery..

Oh God you just had the BEST idea. Let's all pray it comes true.

... Of course if it does, this manga will turn into Citrus. Oh no

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

I know I'm reading into this too much, but I saw parallels with the exchange about eating pancakes

Another clear parallel (maybe foreshadow) is Yuni's mom telling her not to fall for someone that priotizes themselves (like Nanase), implying that's the reason why she's divorced.

Prediction time: Yuni is gonna bring home Fuuko and mom is gonna assume she's her girlfriend, while Nanase is the mistress.

joined Oct 2, 2021

Ooohh baby , who hurt you?

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

I honestly really enjoy discussions about translations! But I feel like it's so easy to step on people's toes. Everyone has their own interpretations of words, especially if we include the sometimes wide array of interpretations among native speakers...

恋人?愛人?How do you translate those!?

(As a side note, my friend has been getting on my case for using the word "lover" in English as a gender-neutral term. I wish we had a good word for 恋人 that didn't imply anything heavy, like "partner" often does)

joined Apr 10, 2023

I honestly really enjoy discussions about translations! But I feel like it's so easy to step on people's toes. Everyone has their own interpretations of words, especially if we include the sometimes wide array of interpretations among native speakers...

恋人?愛人?How do you translate those!?

(As a side note, my friend has been getting on my case for using the word "lover" in English as a gender-neutral term. I wish we had a good word for 恋人 that didn't imply anything heavy, like "partner" often does)

Wait is your friend saying "lover" is not gender neutral? I'm confused. If you're looking for a word like "partner" but less heavy then imo lover works pretty well, because it's got a connotation of two people in relatively new love who have not made any significant commitments yet, as those commitments would change the name of the relationship. They could be in something as light as a mutually acknowledged crush or explicitly short term interaction, like two people who met while traveling and will soon part ways. The relationship between two people where one of them is cheating is very frequently a "lovers" type relationship due to the preexisting commitment getting in the way of them being "official" with each other, as with Yuni and Fuuko.

last edited at Feb 22, 2024 1:54AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.