Forum › Posts by muteKi

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

deltahalo241 posted:

I think the pages are out of order on this latest chapter

Yep. I think the '(' characters in the page IDs are confusing the sorter; they're getting compared like strings and not numerals

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Reading this after having fallen down the bocchi the rock rabbit hole I can safely describe this story as "sick hack coded"

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

jdlsharkman posted:

Y'all ever get such a self-recriminating God complex that you drink shitty soda just to prove some inscrutable point? Hashtag relatable

For me it was always a combination of the cheapest hooches and those jumex mango nectar boxes, a period of time in my life that I now refer to as my "kikuri era"

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

The whole soda metaphor was so strange and pointless lol

When she worked as a waitress my wife would give people who asked for ginger ale a mixture of coke and sprite and as far as I know nobody ever complained. This is probably also a metaphor for something but hell if I know what

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Two days of sex and then 20h of sleep. Wow.

Sounds like my wife!!

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

"Kitchen warm and hard, girl I have a very secret crush on soft and cold"

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

TctyaDDK posted:

So the book became thin without being a "thin book", sort of unfortunately, but it's still so very sweet. There will be a full nsfw sequel in October, right? I'll look forward to it ;))

Keep in mind the lag time between publishing and scan uploads. The author's note refers to last October, and checking Mikanuji's pixiv there was (and another one in December where Bocchi, as they say, has one). The October release also has a short story by a guest writer.

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Another I considered was Sakamoto Mano's Suwako-chan duology, but that also might not be it

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Jananaberry posted:

Last chapter of the volume, but it doesn't really feel like a last chapter... Maybe I'm remembering wrong and there is another volume after this?

My understanding is that along with the anime they've renewed the manga. Note that the light novels have a lot more material than what's in the manga, and those haven't been at risk of cancellation at all.

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I think I remember this one, and it might be one by Momono Moto, but I'm not entirely certain; I tried Mai-chan and Ecchan which sounded like the one I was thinking of, but I don't think it is.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

SrNevik posted:

People have just had bad experiences with manga in the past. What seems obviously the case has sometimes not mattered, so some probably want really explicit confirmation before getting their hopes up.

It's possible that I'm misreading this comment, but I will say that if there's any author I'd suspect of anything like queerbaiting, Arai Sumiko would be one of the authors way at the bottom of the list.

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

It's not every day you see "I got the publisher's permission to put the song lyrics in my doujinshi"

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

We mere mortals can merely kneel in the presence of works by Yukatarou and marvel at the galaxy-brain horniness of her works, and be destroyed by the lathe of heaven

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

shout out to cute needy girls with praise kinks

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Nene posted:
Seriously, these days I've been a little bit dispirited -- because a "schoolgirl yuri" manga that I used to love, after a long time on a downward slope and accelerating, finally crashed and burned. But now that I've read this new chapter of My Blue Garnet, all's right with the world again.

It pumps me up to know that there are authors like Akiyama Haru out there. People who will bring me the good stuff, who will keep it real and won't make fucking concessions to anyone or anything. Hell yeah.

You say that, and, funnily enough, if there's one thing I think Akiyama Haru does really well it's conveying hypnagogic feelings in romance.

In this case I would say the story is especially effective in using environmental detail to make the characters seem trapped, closed-off or suffering from tunnel vision. Narrow panels, lots of close, overwhelming background detail, perspective convergence points that tend to be near the center. You'd see this sort of stuff in her Galette one-shots but it's especially effective here, I think, contrasting with the way that backgrounds open up when characters make connections with each other.

Not to speak badly of Octave by any means, but whatever she was up to in the ~7 years after it was published gave her a massive level up in her compositional work. This is some of the best stuff in the genre.

last edited at Mar 4, 2024 10:07PM

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Nya-chan posted:

Cue for the MC to wake up from a dream.

see, you get it, you understand the vision.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

muteKi posted:

White Rose posted:

Poor Hinoka. I wonder if Tsukushi realizes she has just hurt her horribly.

I wonder if she realizes Hinoka can only take her attitude as cold rejection.

Probably not.

I think the funniest thing that could happen is if the next chapter opens with Hinoka having a dream where Tsukushi returns her kiss and then gets really depressed and anxious about it

LET'S FUCKIN GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Gabinomicon posted:

Presumably the implication is that glasses girl is mad that hot girl is dating her brother instead of dating her.

I would also argue that the "brocon" response is to get back at the girl who, just moments after openly insulting her, has put herself in a position as if demanding some kind of immediate physical relationship from her. A more indirect way of saying "damn, you're fucked up" to someone who is unwilling to be honest about her actual feelings; this isn't a romantic encounter in the sense that it's not about the sorts of feelings we'd think of as romantic

I'm not the hugest fan of these sorts of stories, but given how much shorter it is than the ones in this style I tend to like (Iwami Kiyoko, Kodama Naoko), where we get a fuller characterization of the people involved, I consider it pretty well-told.

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I can't believe I've never heard of that case before. Huge victory for women's rights and women's wrongs

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I mean Angelique was pretty big, and if the goal of the story is to subvert tropes that are established already in shorthand, picking the big popular entry seems like the only way to make it work without dragging. Othrwise it wouldn't be terribly coherent.

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Beefaroni posted:

The part that confused me was what the really bitter part was.

Did she see her boyfriend right after or something? I feel like I'm missing something there

No, it's clarified a bit more on page 13. It's that (even if she doesn't totally want to admit it to herself) she has had a profound crush on Sakuma for about as long as she's known her, like about a decade. And then she drags her out to these extremely romantic spaces, and just complains about the people she's dating who don't even treat her well. I think most people would find that upsetting!

The funny thing is that aspects of this story remind me a little bit of a short story I wrote for a thing quite a while ago, though I was very pressed for space and was working with established characters. I quite liked this one.

(I was trying to figure out if one of her one-shots inspired this new serialization. Doesn't seem to be the case, but I caught new insight into her other works)

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

It's a little awkward, but it's also a line I could see making sense when delivered in a certain cadence. "She's so distrusting that she doesn't trust anyone." Like, not even a single friend or confidant

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

resonance posted:

I could have sworn I'd read this before. Am I just tripping?

I somehow missed the first chapter until this second one was posted -- which is a clear sign I hadn't read it when it came out a couple months ago -- and also had this uncanny feeling I'd read it before. Either I'm having some kind of brain problem situation or I've got to go check my back-issues of galette

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Weird that people seem to think this didn't get the characterizations right. That's...that's what I find compelling about this, that it actually did rather than use the way the characters dress as shorthand for their entire personality.

Aerith must be understood as a service worker who wants nothing more than dropkick a bunch of the customers who are shitty to her. The way in which she manages those urges are key to understanding what sort of character she is, which includes manifesting as being very forward and aggressive any time she can get away with it. Case in point!

last edited at Feb 29, 2024 5:07PM

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Mr. Jones posted:

It's Kagiana but it isn't Nodoka x Yui. Help, I'm confused.

Hm, apparently it's adapted from his Comitia 143 release. That would explain why there haven't been too many updates from the past year.