Forum › Going to the city library in a bit

joined Mar 23, 2013

So as the title suggests, I'm going to take a stroll and get myself some books amongst other things.

It's you guys job to try to convince me to pick up some books you've enjoyed. English only, no genre is taboo. Please provide the genre and a small description of the works. Tell me why you've enjoy it/them so much without spoiling everything.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

The Rise of the Great Powers 1648 - 1815 is a good read about the developing states system and the ascent of Britain, Prussia, Russia, Austria and France, if history is your thing. My library had it, but I don't know how common it is to stock it.

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

jeez, guys you are everywhere..

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Including behind you.

joined Mar 23, 2013

The Rise of the Great Powers 1648 - 1815 is a good read about the developing states system and the ascent of Britain, Prussia, Russia, Austria and France, if history is your thing. My library had it, but I don't know how common it is to stock it.

Nope, not in the database.

Including behind you.

Heh.

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

I think you are amusing xD

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Boo, no history, no fun.

Ever given The Eye of the World a go? Fantasy, first in a series 14 books long, perhaps worthy of a sample?

Another book I think might be listed as fantasy is The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Shroud, one of my favourite books in high school. His Dark Materials books are good as well. Fantasy, big surprise.

How many classics have you read? I love stuff like A Tale of Two Cities and the Illiad. Ending to the former is top five in anything ever.

I think you are amusing xD

That compliment better not be aimed at me! More hate, I need it.

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

.. i surrender.. we are totally a mismatch...

• giving the ring back...

last edited at May 4, 2015 2:32PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

... I don't know how to feel...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If you like romance, anything by Karin Kallmaker or Georgia Beers. There are a couple other books by other authors that a bit more fantasy I might tentatively recommend but they're ebooks so your library probably wouldn't have them.

last edited at May 4, 2015 2:37PM

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

... I don't know how to feel...

just hate me.. but not while you are behind me..

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

If you like romance, anything by Karin Kallmaker or Georgia Beers. There are a couple I might tentatively recommend but they're ebooks so your library probably wouldn't have them.

Why on earth would you think anyone here would like romance?

just hate me.. but not while you are behind me..

Too late...

joined Mar 23, 2013

If you like romance, anything by Karin Kallmaker or Georgia Beers. There are a couple I might tentatively recommend but they're ebooks so your library probably wouldn't have them.

My libary has some collection of ebooks, not sure how much they have. Will look into it.

Nvm I misread, do tell.

last edited at May 4, 2015 2:42PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

The Franco-Prussian War: The German Conquest of France 1870-1871 (Non-fiction; History)

When I was younger I was quite the history buff. I read this at least five times, the writing and action accounts are far more thrilling than the usual non-fiction fare. It's a very interesting look at the changes in warfare at the time and their eventual effect on The Great War, as well as the political developments that contributed to it. I recall the writing being just a bit grandiose at times, but it doesn't take much away from everything else.

Skulduggery Pleasant (Modern Fantasy; YA)

Funny, charming, and exceptionally paced fantasy/action series. The last YA series I really bothered with - the writing is well done, but simplistic enough to fit into "easy reading." This is a looooong series that also seems to be a bit hard to find in the U.S., but I think it's very much worth a look if you're at all interested in that kind of thing.

His Dark Materials books are good as well. Fantasy, big surprise.

Seconded.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

try to find Maus or Watchmen and then never return them

last edited at May 4, 2015 2:39PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

My libary has some collection of ebooks, not sure how much they have. Will look into it.

I should note (and amended my comment) that the ebooks are by other authors, not the ones I mentioned. Namely Graveyard Sparrow by Kayla Bashe and The Second Mango by Shira Glassman.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

The Franco-Prussian War: The German Conquest of France 1870-1871 (Non-fiction; History)

When I was younger I was quite the history buff. I read this at least five times, the writing and action accounts are far more thrilling than the usual non-fiction fare. It's a very interesting look at the changes in warfare at the time and their eventual effect on The Great War, as well as the political developments that contributed to it. I recall the writing being just a bit grandiose at times, but it doesn't take much away from everything else.

Skulduggery Pleasant (Modern Fantasy; YA)

Funny, charming, and exceptionally paced fantasy/action series. The last YA series I really bothered with - the writing is well done, but simplistic enough to fit into "easy reading." This is a looooong series that also seems to be a bit hard to find in the U.S., but I think it's very much worth a look if you're at all interested in that kind of thing.

Grr, now I need the Franco-Prussian war book.

... I completely forgot to keep up with Skulduggery Pleasant. Haven't read the last two books yet, but definitely worth reading, from what I remember.

I liked the Spooks by - some guy? - but my school stopped buying them before the Grimalkin(?) book and I never kept up. Fairly small books from what I remember, possibly worth a look as well.

*Published as The Last Apprentice in America, by Joseph Delaney.

And fantasy, damn.

His Dark Materials books are good as well. Fantasy, big surprise.

Seconded.

I start to think I'm cool, then OP seconded one of my posts, I squeed, and I realised I'm still jut an annoying fanboy.

last edited at May 4, 2015 2:47PM

joined Mar 23, 2013

I should note (and amended my comment) that the ebooks are by other authors, not the ones I mentioned. Namely Graveyard Sparrow by Kayla Bashe and The Second Mango by Shira Glassman.

Will check it out, fantasy is my favourite genre afterall.

If anyone has fantasy books with female protagonists I'd enjoy it. Especially the medieval kind ( inorite ).

Bonus point if the romance is a small part of the plot or not all. Even better if it's a morally ambiguous FeMC. Most often than not in fiction we see the female gender incapable of evil, I hate it. Nothing more sexy than a woman who looks out for herself, at least to me.

last edited at May 4, 2015 2:48PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

If anyone has fantasy books with female protagonists I'd enjoy it. Especially the medieval kind ( inorite ).

Bonus point if the romance is a small part of the plot or not all. Even better if it's a morally ambiguous FeMC. Most often than not in fiction we see the female gender incapable of evil, I hate it. Nothing more sexy than a woman who looks out for herself, at least to me.

Skulduggeries protagonist is a girl, and I remember the romance not being all that important. Her evil side is prophesied to destroy the earth as well, so capable of evil.

*There was some mention of some yuri, but both are only ever seen jumping on dudes.

last edited at May 4, 2015 2:55PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The two ebooks I recommended both have lesbian main characters, and there's some degree of romance. Neither are what I'd call great books, but both are enjoyable. Graveyard Sparrow especially is much better than the author's previous, Bluebell Hall, which seemed to be in an awful hurry to get finished.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

What I wish I could find is some lesbian-oriented urban fantasy, especially stuff that draws a lot from folklore (of whatever sort). One thing I really like about Japanese stuff is there's such a huge amount of folklore that pretty much everyone is familiar with, like oni, tengu, 7 legends of whatever location, ghost stories, etc.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

What I wish I could find is some lesbian-oriented urban fantasy, especially stuff that draws a lot from folklore (of whatever sort). One thing I really like about Japanese stuff is there's such a huge amount of folklore that pretty much everyone is familiar with, like oni, tengu, 7 legends of whatever location, ghost stories, etc.

I will make it my life goal to write this Nezsama.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, I've got a couple of projects to get through first, but there's a serial idea I have in mind where the "fantasy" aspect is inspired by the Mi'Kmaq folklore of eastern Canada. I still need to finish the novel I'm working on now, plus a Miyazaki-inspired one before I get to that, so it'll probably be at least a year before I start.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Alright, from your recommendations and some titles I've research on my own I'm ready to leave. Thanks folks!

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Well, I've got a couple of projects to get through first, but there's a serial idea I have in mind where the "fantasy" aspect is inspired by the Mi'Kmaq folklore of eastern Canada. I still need to finish the novel I'm working on now, plus a Miyazaki-inspired one before I get to that, so it'll probably be at least a year before I start.

Well the Mikmaq are just colonisation fodder to me, but now I'm gonna google that shi... stuff. Self-censorship is a pain.

*Google tells me remnent Tanith Low has a thing for Valkyrie, enough for me to want to read the last books.

last edited at May 4, 2015 3:21PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.