Forum › Nomia discussion

KittyCatOmaniac
E19418efd5cf90129f366e240e5156b3
joined Sep 12, 2014

So, is this a poem about how most yuri stories stereotypically end up?

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

No, it saves itself that fate by refusing to mention the gender of the new lover.

More accurately, this is a poem about how most relationships end up.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I wouldn't say most relationships end up in break ups.

But yeah, I noticed too it doesn't mention the gender of the new lover.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

If I am to assume there are essentially two options for all monogamous relationships, a) staying together "forever" or b) breaking up, I would think most relationships end in break ups. Perhaps this is close-minded of me, and you have a different viewpoint.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

If I am to assume there are essentially two options for all monogamous relationships, a) staying together "forever" or b) breaking up, I would think most relationships end in break ups. Perhaps this is close-minded of me, and you have a different viewpoint.

Some relationships can last until someone dies and the other moves on, which I don't think counts as either. But I doubt that they could make up the deficit for modern amounts of break-ups.

Throughout history however, probably more that didn't do so.

Actually I don't think I made sense.

More people in modern times break up than don't, but in history, most have stayed together, as an assumption.

last edited at Apr 30, 2015 8:38AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Maybe it needs to be more specific. Most "first relationships" end up in break ups? Because, the first one is often botched up because of lack of experience and knowledge. Managing a relationship is not something you know how to do from scratch.

But as you get more experience, you get to know yourself better, get better at getting your feelings accross, better at understanding the other's feelings, knowing what to do, to say, or not, etc...

A lasting relationship is often built on the ruins of failed ones.

That's how it works for me anyway.

First love at first sight which lasts until death do us part, is such a rare occurence in real life that it's statistically insignificant.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Usually the for the first few, you'd be generous to call them relationships. Though that's based on an observers perspective, I've only the amusing stories of my friends to go on. Like when one had a girlfriend, went on holiday, and when he came back, found she was going out with another of my friends. And it was just... accepted. So I couldn't consider that a relationship.

Even then though, it seems most fail now, without social stigma to prevent it. Again, based entirely on an observers perspective.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

My bad. What you call a relationship is different depending on the culture and on the age/maturity of the people involved.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

My bad. What you call a relationship is different depending on the culture and on the age/maturity of the people involved.

Why my bad? I'm just fussy with my definitions.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Because I didn't take the definition into account at first. In my mind, a relationship is two adults trying to make things "work" for the sake of building something lasting, together. Some other people would call dating and holding hands a relationship.

And this poem here isn't long enough to even begin to know what kind of "relationship" it's about.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Oh right, fair enough. I think just from there being angsty poetry, this isn't a relationship 'proper'. So far as I know, people who write it are too emotionally invested in the idea of the relationship rather than it's actuality.

Not to mention how fickle the other person seems to be.

Anime-girl-background-336x210-1110017
joined Apr 29, 2014

i can't believe these comments.. really unbelievable. And i know some of you are just being critic.. just stating your opinions and although there's nothing wrong about that since we all have the right to, some of these comments were really unnecessary and i just find it insensitive. For someone who find this totally relatable, i feel like i'm being laughed at.

I just got out of a 7-year relationship, 4 years we lived together because both of us runaway from home since both our parents were against homosexuality (yknow the one which you may also call "cliche" where parents beat their kids for being gay). We struggled for months when we first left home. Having no one to depend on and both of us were still in high school. We worked, did everything to prove to ourselves that we can survive on our own and we are definitely not coming home. Anyway to make the story short (since this telling you this story is hurting me terribly) after literally building my whole life with her for seven years and after getting so used to seeing her everyday, we broke up. She found someone else. And let me tell you this.. as a kid, i've always thought that those who'd die/kill themselves because of "love" were really stupid and i used to tell myself that they were weak and that i will never be one of those people.. I told myself that I know how to control my emotions and that I am more important than anyone else therefore i will never do anything to hurt myself. But i was so wrong, she became more important to me than anyone or anything else in the world.. When she left, i was terribly hurt i couldn't stand it.. I realize those people weren't weak, sometimes the pain is just too much. I had to find myself again. I had to define myself again without her. So please to those who never had any serious relationship or god forbid any relationship at all, you will never understand how much it hurts when the person you thought was the one.. wasn't. So don't just drop words like you have it all figured out and that you understand.

Now let me make an insensitive comment, for those who made unnecessary ones: you guys probably never experienced loving someone so much or never have fallen so deep everything you'd think you'll never do.. you'd do. And unless you've experienced these, and you've experienced being hurt so much.. you won't care how shallow this story might be delivered anymore because you'd understand.

Let me end this with the quote from the book South of Border, West of Sun by one of the greatest author in the world who clearly understands and is always spot on, Haruki Murakami: "I think you still love me, but we can’t escape the fact that I’m not enough for you. I knew this was going to happen. So I’m not blaming you for falling in love with another woman. I’m not angry, either. I should be, but I’m not. I just feel pain. A lot of pain. I thought I could imagine how much this would hurt, but I was wrong.” ... and if you can relate to this quote, i think you and me are both in the same page.

last edited at Apr 30, 2015 2:41PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I thought my use of language should have made it fairly clear that I don't think I know it all. I am just an observer, and I'll never leave that group given that my orientation won't allow it.

Your situation is sad, but when commenting on how much of a 'relationship' I thought that which is being depicted was, there are differences from yours. Most importantly, it was entirely contained in school. There's nothing to indicate abuse like you have unfortunately suffered, just a standard school romance. So when that results in angsty poetry, it comes off to me as something the protagonist was too invested in, when she didn't necessarily need to be.

I'm sorry if my comments have insulted you, my perspective on the situation just differs from yours.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I don't have any abuse story but I can totally relate to the situation of breaking up with someone I thought to be "the one" for a long time. She even married. Haha.. so cliché it looks like out of a standard yuri manga.

Thank God, I had a real friend who ran to see me, dragged me out, managed it so I was surrounded by friendly people and so helped me pick up the pieces of the shattered little self-confidence I had.

It's now in the past and I can look back on it without pain, anger or hate (though I experienced schadenfreude when I learned later she divorced), but at the time, the world had ended for me. That's why I mentionned "first relationships often end in break ups".

But relating doesn't make this piece good or original.

To reply you must either login or sign up.