Forum › I Am A Gate Guard discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I get so sick of stories that basically play on Meiling being incompetent, shit on by everyone in the SDM, etc. It's lazy writing, and to me at least comes off as simply copying what a lot of other writers already do.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

This story doesn't play Meiling as incompetent though, it show her more like being way out of her league and that's sort of in line with the canon, as is Patchy being kind of a jerk.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

This story doesn't play Meiling as incompetent though, it show her more like being way out of her league and that's sort of in line with the canon, as is Patchy being kind of a jerk.

...and Sakuya being a jerk. And Remi being a jerk (only fed twice, sometimes once, a day, demanding she repair the gate in one day, etc.) too. It still comes off as "Touhou Comedy Plot #6" with the appropriate blanks filled in.

Also, what's with Flan's eyes with this artist? They don't even look like eyes any more, if anything they resemble big sunglasses.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

...and Sakuya being a jerk. And Remi being a jerk (only fed twice, sometimes once, a day, demanding she repair the gate in one day, etc.) too. It still comes off as "Touhou Comedy Plot #6" with the appropriate blanks filled in.

Also, what's with Flan's eyes with this artist? They don't even look like eyes any more, if anything they resemble big sunglasses.

There's not denying at somethings being played for comedy effect but you're going a little overboard with the negatives: Sakuya's come off like being strict but fair, we don't really see Flan or Remi interacting with Meiling, the door thing is once a month and what is the problem with eating twice at day? That's how I got my meals :p

The eyes thing is (again) played for laughs, the artists does draw some peculiar eyes though.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

I get so sick of stories that basically play on Meiling being incompetent, shit on by everyone in the SDM, etc. It's lazy writing, and to me at least comes off as simply copying what a lot of other writers already do.

Eh, it's playing on the popular fan depictions of the characters rather than simply copying what everyone else does. The reason she's portrayed like that so frequently is because thats her most popular characterization in fanon after all.

This isn't one of the best examples of it, but I enjoy that version of Meiling. I also enjoy the competent martial artist Meiling depiction. I like both :o

It depends on the work after all. If this doujin had normal, competent versions of everyone who acted politely and were all sane and such stuff, it wouldn't really work as a comedy doujin, which is what it is. Now if she's portrayed as useless in a serious drama doujin, that would be a bigger problem.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Eh, it's playing on the popular fan depictions of the characters rather than simply copying what everyone else does. The reason she's portrayed like that so frequently is because thats her most popular characterization in fanon after all.

This isn't one of the best examples of it, but I enjoy that version of Meiling. I also enjoy the competent martial artist Meiling depiction. I like both :o

It depends on the work after all. If this doujin had normal, competent versions of everyone who acted politely and were all sane and such stuff, it wouldn't really work as a comedy doujin, which is what it is. Now if she's portrayed as useless in a serious drama doujin, that would be a bigger problem.

To be honest, I prefer comedies that rely on the characters' personalities like Millet Soup's stuff rather than ones that just use cookie-cutter stereotypes like "Meiling is a lazy, poor guard" or "Marisa steals" and barely go beyond that. It kinda works in simple 4-koma stuff, but it gets unsatisfying pretty fast in a regular story.

It's not even this one in particular so much, more that it reminds me of that general tendency.

zanpakutoman
Chibi_blademan
joined Jul 23, 2013

Fi Fi Fo Fum. I see some debate in the discussion. I agree with Nezchan, about how Meiling is almost always portrayed as the incompetent punching bag of Touhou and it's overplayed. I personally prefer it when Meiling is portrayed as a nice carefree character, but in the case of comedies I like how she is in http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bears where she's a little lazy, but competent. But in the case of this author, he/she seems to write comedies based around violence like in "Seven Colored Master Spark!" Alice is like Marisa's punching bag (it kind of hurts my soul) but this just seems to be his/her writing style I guess. (This is just my opinion, please don't explain how wrong I am OnO).

candy76041820
%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

To be honest, I prefer comedies that rely on the characters' personalities like Millet Soup's stuff rather than ones that just use cookie-cutter stereotypes like "Meiling is a lazy, poor guard" or "Marisa steals" and barely go beyond that. It kinda works in simple 4-koma stuff, but it gets unsatisfying pretty fast in a regular story.

It's not even this one in particular so much, more that it reminds me of that general tendency.

And you need to pay attention to the publish date of this comic. Three years aren't enough for fans to think up good ideas except these stereotype ones.

joined Nov 13, 2015

...But you can always appreciate the adorable cuteness of Remi and Flan sleeping together on page 25...

To reply you must either login or sign up.