Forum › 8 Chapter download limit a day?

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I just saw this message for the first time- is this new?

Its kinda annoying but I guess it cant be helped if you are having all your bandwidth used up..

I dont just download everything, just the yuri stuff I like but 8 seems a bit low given how many groups stuff you post, if you have a busy upload week it could be impossible to keep up at 8 a day, and trying to go back and remember what you couldnt get etc.

Alice
joined Jun 14, 2012

You could just go to the scanlator site to download.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

You could just go to the scanlator site to download.

Lol- i'm ashamed to say that never occured to me.

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

It's a recent addition in an attempt to help conserve bandwidth since it's skyrocketing.
You can most certainly download the new uploads with the 8 limit, but for the many recent additions our uploaders tend to make it's also an attempt to get you to visit the scanlator's site to get it.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

It's a recent addition in an attempt to help conserve bandwidth since it's skyrocketing.
You can most certainly download the new uploads with the 8 limit, but for the many recent additions our uploaders tend to make it's also an attempt to get you to visit the scanlator's site to get it.

I think it should get more people to go to their sites. I will get more new uploads from the scanlators sites - thats pretty easy. Its a bit more troublesome when you are uploading big back catalogs like with gaku gaku and it could be years old and hard to find.

Does reading a manga use more bandwidth than downloading it? I'd think it would a bit, so most of your bandwidth is going into online reading i'd guess? When you get realy big image files maybe you could have lower res ones for the reader?

last edited at Aug 21, 2013 2:32PM

Troid Uploader
Wheels150
Payapaya Scans
joined Jan 28, 2013

Does reading a manga use more bandwidth than downloading it?

Not really. RAR/ZIP files don't really compress very much and you're downloading the same files.

When you get realy big image files maybe you could have lower res ones for the reader?

This is already the way it works. Images above a certain size are scaled down and converted to JPG for display unless you click the button to show the full image. I think the full size is still downloaded each time, though, so that might not save any bandwidth.

last edited at Aug 21, 2013 2:54PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Its a bit more troublesome when you are uploading big back catalogs like with gaku gaku and it could be years old and hard to find.

Gaku Gaku is actually quite easy to download from. If it's a recent release (post Nov-2012), go to their site and click "gallery (recent)", then just search by title/artist. Alternatively, use the Comics database on their wiki for any release, ever. The most efficient way to use this is probably by release date. Look at our release date, then browse to that date on the wiki. Should almost always be very simple.

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Comics_by_Release

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

This is already the way it works. Images above a certain size are scaled down and converted to JPG for display unless you click the button to show the full image. I think the full size is still downloaded each time, though so that might not save any bandwidth.

The resizing is done all by your browser, so it doesn't save any bandwidth. When the reader was first created this was done on purpose. Since one of the issues we had with other readers of time was them converting everything to shitty JPGs.

Its on my list to implement something that will resize down the absurdly large images, into something more reasonable while still being very high quality (thinking 2000px tall).

maximilianjenus
joined Feb 8, 2013

that also should be an incentive for groups that don't have a site, liek flybyyuri and /u/ amongst others.

To reply you must either login or sign up.