Forum › Is there a name for this specific kind of shoujo ai/yuri? + Recommend me some

Icon
joined Jul 6, 2018

I'm wondering if there's a name for those specific kinds of shoujo ai/yuri content that has at least one of these elements:
- It has a lot of flowery (usually they make everything lilies) or girly themes (stars, ribbons, bears, music boxes)
- There's an all-girls school, and usually everyone there are "maidens"
- There's an old-time/old-fashion feel to it (their school is old, and there's a lot of tea time, phones aren't present)
- People who are christian (probably connected to the all-girls school)
- Uses of french things (french words or styles), sometimes european?

I can already think of some that fit in this category, but what titles do you know what have these things?

I don't know, I feel like this aesthetic is like an underground yuri cult (and i need to join it lol), and I wanted to know if it had a name. Thanks ~

last edited at Mar 1, 2020 8:57PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I think it's called Class S

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

No idea if this has a proper name, but there certainly is a lot of catholic girls' school yuri/shoujo ai. Maria-sama ga Miteru and Strawberry Panic immediately come to mind. I believe that this style was very common in early yuri stories, to the extent that you can see a lot of modern authors referencing this formula as parody, or to deconstruct what is seen as an out-of-date and unrealistic cliche. Here are some suggestions that more-or-less fall into that category, with varying degrees of faithfulness:

Ouji-sama nante Iranai - I don't think this is a Catholic school, but it has that old-fashioned garden-of-maidens vibe, and the heavy focus on intricacies of school politics that seems so common to this genre

The Last Uniform - somewhat more comedic, but still a mostly old-fashioned story set in a girls' boarding school

Aoi Hana - I think this is a deliberate attempt to create a modern version of the genre, with more mature themes, but it mostly takes place in a Catholic girls' school

First Love Sisters - Don't remember this one that well, but I think it's basically a classic take on the genre

Fuwafuwa Futashika Yume Mitai - more modern, but it's about an all-girls school and that same sort of kouhai-sempai relationship

Gokujou Drops - Probably a lot more sex than is common to this genre (and a lot more comedic), but it's otherwise very similar

Holy Girl Paradigm - same here

A Kiss and a White Lily for Her - this one is kind of an anthology of different love stories between somewhat related characters set in a girls' boarding school

A Love Letter for the Marching Puppy - Set in some alternate history where the Imperial Japanese Army accepted women, so it's a cadet's school instead of a Catholic school, but other than that is basically 100% faithful to the genre

I imagine if you went back to yuri manga and novels from the 80s or 90s, you'd find a lot more that better meet your criteria, but I don't know much about that.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Maybe there will be more in mind later, but if you want a version of this that is super trashy and gay, Strawberry Panic (the anime) is definitely the way to go.

To reply you must either login or sign up.