Forum › H.P. Lovecraft's The Haunter of the Dark discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

"Something is coming".

Could it be winter?

On this site, that's a phrase usually reserved for Lots of sex stories.

Nezchan, you're back!!!

These past two weeks, we missed you so much!

Yeah, I was working on a writing assignment and it was using up my brain power. Well, that and learning to play Dwarf Fortress and getting kind of obsessed with some gameplay videos.

joined Nov 30, 2011

Oh, shit, it's Dagon. Quick, we need to call Cthulhu, a blue mage groupie, a swordsword, a perky necromancer, an alien cat, a senile white mage (or Santa), and a demon dragon. A skeleton hero is optional.

...I hate myself for recognising that reference.

Divinity Original Sin 2??

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

Great work, Cyan Steam.

That credit page quote is very fitting.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

It was done as well as a visual medium could do it. That may sound like a backhanded compliment, but I always feel like trying to concretely depict supernatural horrors such as Lovecraft's only diminishes them into regular monsters. It's the same problem with Tolkien's Balrog, which always gets visually depicted as some kind of snarling demon-beast instead of the silent, shadow-wreathed, intelligent malignance he wrote of. Lovecraft's beings are similar. Visually depicting them in a way that seems impressive...is not capturing them correctly.

Again, I do feel this was a fairly effective adaptation, but anyone to anyone who likes this and hasn't already done so, I recommend you listen to Wayne June's narrations of Lovecraft's stories, a lot of which are available on Youtube.

last edited at Apr 19, 2021 7:36PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.