Forum › Valkyrie Drive Siren - Breakout! discussion

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

This is painful.

joined Mar 3, 2017

Christ, that rabbit chick was creepy. Good manga, though. Valkyrie Drive is an interesting concept. :3

5078c11faafb542156639addbfc83dc4440cf9d2_hq
joined Apr 22, 2018

I wonder how many valkyrie drives are there that I don't know about

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Christ, that rabbit chick was creepy. Good manga, though. Valkyrie Drive is an interesting concept. :3

No, it's not a good manga.

It's a hentai that doesn't want to admit it's one, or that's been watered down in order to barely pass censorship.

It's just intended as fap material for male teens. The story is almost irrelevant.

last edited at Aug 9, 2018 7:37AM

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

I know of 3. Siren (this one) being a mobage + continuation manga, Bhikkhuni being beat-em-up game + manga, And Mermaid being the anime.
All of them sharing the same premise of girls being incarcerated on an island for being infected by a virus that turns them into weapons (and does other things) when they get excited. They also share the yuri-ish ecchi tone and general character design guidelines.

Though, those I know something about, Siren and Mermaid have non-yuri distractions often enough to bother me. Siren's player character being explicitly male (though if manga is anything to go by, he doesn't get romantically involved with main girls) invokes old "only guy in a strictly female environment" trope I dislike. Mermaid had Mamori's crush on Governer (I know), tentacle + faceless sand guys "fanservice", and the whole ending debacle with non-relationship main girls ended up in.

It's a hentai that doesn't want to admit it's one, or that's been watered down in order to barely pass censorship.
It's just intended as fap material for male teens.

Neither of those make it not good. Lack of plot development and character development is what damns it. It being a supplementary manga to the game holds it back - can't resolve anything or change anything.

last edited at Aug 9, 2018 8:34AM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

No, it's not a good manga.

It is Valkyrie Drive, the series being very overt with the fanservice is a given. If Breakout! and Bhikkhunism aren't as overt as Mermaid is because they were published in Famitsu. The Mermaid manga, being published in a magazine focused on more mature audiences could be as explicit as the anime itself.

It's just intended as fap material for male teens. The story is almost irrelevant.

If you don't like it that's fine, but that doesn't mean the story isn't good. In fact, it gives a good amount of characterization to both the main couple and the villain of the setting.

I know of 3. Siren (this one) being a mobage + continuation manga, Bhikkhuni being beat-em-up game + manga, And Mermaid being the anime.All of them sharing the same premise of girls being incarcerated on an island for being infected by a virus that turns them into weapons (and does other things) when they get excited. They also share the yuri-ish ecchi tone and general character design guidelines.

Something I really liked was the fact that the three series (with its respective supplementary material) elaborated different aspects about the setting, so the more you read/watched/played the richer the entire premise became.

Though, those I know something about, Siren and Mermaid have non-yuri distractions often enough to bother me. Siren's player character being explicitly male (though if manga is anything to go by, he doesn't get romantically involved with main girls) invokes old "only guy in a strictly female environment" trope I dislike. Mermaid had Mamori's crush on Governer (I know), tentacle + faceless sand guys "fanservice", and the whole ending debacle with non-relationship main girls ended up in.

Siren having a male self-insert as the protagonist was a huge misstep that badly hurt the game and likely, influenced its early demise. They tried to right the course once the fanbase expressed its disappointment (like the manga dropping him entirely and upping the yuri tenfold and the game reducing his role and making sure Setsuna and Urara would be a couple in the final event of the game) but the damage was already done.

As for Mermaid, Mirei and Mamori did end up becoming a formal couple, that was the entire reason they could achieve the Valkyrie Drive, it was just not stated in words but their actions made that abundantly clear.

Korrasami-avatar-the-legend-of-korra-30972763-500-326
joined Aug 22, 2014

Wait I need to see them get off the island!!!

joined Jul 26, 2016

So far the only iteration of this franchise I've personally encountered where the writing didn't lick goats to one degree or another has been that Totally Not Senran Kagura Bhikkhuni game.

joined May 13, 2021

Pretty good manga. I read it in 2 days and was fun to read from beginning to the end. It had many funny moments. Characters were interesting and world building too.
Main villain Elizabeta interesting but bit stupid though.
Also loved the creepy bunny girl.
Line work was great too and it had good amount of ecchi and yuri moments. Not too much, not too little.

That arm absorbing ability seems to be super powerful as seen in this and Mermaid. (To be fair Mirei&Mamori still needed other top tier valkyries to bring down the third generation soldier class valkyrie.)

Its a shame they havent made second manga for Siren to finish the story, but i undestand why they did leave this in stalemate as the story was supposed to continue on the abandoned game. But i think they should make second to wrap the story because the game is abandoned so we dont know how it ends.

So yeah, i highly recommend it.

last edited at May 13, 2021 12:58PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.