Untitled%20(1)
joined Aug 24, 2016

Fastest yuri ever

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

ergzay posted:

Minor translation note: The word that is translated as "Name" here, means "Storyboard" in this context.

Just a correction here. A "name" is not a storyboard. A storyboard has abbreviated scenes for an animation or film whereas a "name" has most/all the intended panels of the manga. A "draft" would be a more accurate translation. Just google "manga neemu" on image search and its easy enough to see that they are not storyboards but are actually rather draft pages of the manga, complete with panels, but just in very light sketch form.

Except you can basically use those words interchangeably in context of drawing manga. Storyboard is usually a rouge draft of the upcoming chapter. In fact word storyboard would be more accurate according to what you are saying because in draft the characters are usually barely drawn and they are more of a stickmen to generally know where who is standing and there is almost no background stuff. The more detailed and finished panels would fit storyboard more. Still either one can easily fit there.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Ropponmatsu posted:

Minor translation note: The word that is translated as "Name" here, means "Storyboard" in this context.

Yea, gave me a headache.

I think it should have been:
"name*"
Footnote: *storyboard.

Because it's literally the English word "name" there.

So using "name" gives people more insight into the mangaka world.

I was happy the translator went there.

A similar thing is our word tycoon - 大君 "taikun" - in Japanese it's a high-born noble or prince.

last edited at May 27, 2017 5:57PM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

ergzay posted:

Just a correction here. A "name" is not a storyboard. A storyboard has abbreviated scenes for an animation or film whereas a "name" has most/all the intended panels of the manga. A "draft" would be a more accurate translation. Just google "manga neemu" on image search and its easy enough to see that they are not storyboards but are actually rather draft pages of the manga, complete with panels, but just in very light sketch form.

Except you can basically use those words interchangeably in context of drawing manga. Storyboard is usually a rouge draft of the upcoming chapter. In fact word storyboard would be more accurate according to what you are saying because in draft the characters are usually barely drawn and they are more of a stickmen to generally know where who is standing and there is almost no background stuff. The more detailed and finished panels would fit storyboard more. Still either one can easily fit there.

The thing is, in the US and I would imagine in France, Italy, the UK and Canada from the results, I think there's more of a studio approach to comics. In Japan you usually have the writer plot out the manga with stick figures and bare backgrounds or if you have a mangaka doing writing and drawing, which is quite common, an editor might plot it out that way, I would call it a storyboard, too. We all know what it is, it's just a question of what you'd call it in English. I've always translated "neemu" as storyboard.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

From what I understand of western comics, "storyboard" isn't a term that's used much. It's largely considered an animation term, which is meant to thumbnail the action of a scene plus other elements.

I believe "layout" or "mock-up" would be more common. Not that it isn't understandable what people are talking about either way.

the_honeybee
20221231_135046
joined Dec 1, 2022

Wait, they are not sisters?

To reply you must either login or sign up.