Forum › Posts by Looking East

Looking East
45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

This remains one of my all time favorites.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

This was hilarious. So which girl did the one in the background belong to? I'm guessing curly horns?

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

The box birds ate their fear, right? I can't imagine what else it would be and they're more preoccupied with the other side and more confident now, which feels like it's a way to make them more vulnerable.

Well, they’re still going to be very afraid in the future, so I kind’ve doubt that.

I definitely think it was tearing out fundamental metaphysical pieces of who and what they are, whether it be mind or soul, we don't really know. There is certainly an argument that the Otherside is altering their minds. Sarawo has alluded to such before. I don't think it is so much their fear that is missing but rather their sense of caution and self-preservation.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

why use QPQ instead of telling people you're dating/partners/married? It feels like an just extension of conflating romantic and sexual

People love inventing labels and terms even though it's redundant, sometimes they do so thinking it's special. Take pan and bi as an example. Pansexual is basically bisexual by definition but they reject the latter for some reason. Or demisexual and sapiosexual, which is not an orientation because both straight and LGB people can have this affinity. The former towards emotional connection while the latter, intellectual connection. Everybody has their own unique mix of preference towards people, relationship, and things. New labels aren't necessary for all of these.

First of all, you're literally wrong about the pan and bi thing. Also, you don't get to decide what labels are redundant and which aren't. If someone made a new term for themself bc all the other existing ones didn't feel quite right, then that's all the reason and justification they need to do so.
Maybe stop spouting nonsense if you don't know what you're talking about, you're embarrassing yourself.

No, EVERYONE gets to decide for themselves what labels are redundant and which aren't. Words mean slightly different things to different people, and each of us gets to decide for ourselves what those words mean to us. This is especially true when people start minting new words. You can't get angry if you mint a new term and other people are slow to pick it up or simply disregard it as something that isn't useful to them.

At the same time, people should try to respect others' feelings which includes not attacking those things that others personally hold dear. If somebody is all hung up on their sexual identity and they decide to describe themselves using terms you find odd or superfluous it's a dick move to attack those words in their presence since it is akin to attacking them personally. Also, in a lot of cases, some of the terminology that people take issue with has become widely adopted by the mainstream which means you will come off as ignorant if you go around claiming widely utilized terms are nonsense.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

I hope we wont see a drama series this time and turn Rio from a cheerful sweet girl to an annoyed yandere fangirl.
Also, can someone suggest me an introspective series not on dynasty since I covered most series on site (Yes, include Qualia the Purple)

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō, aka Yokohama Shopping Log, is a beautiful introspective iyashikei series that I've been trying to get uploaded here on Dynasty for years. Romance is not the primary focus of the story, but it does feature an atypical yuri relationship and is well worth a look if you enjoyed Qualia the Purple. To this day it remains one of my all-time favorite manga even after reading hundreds of different series.

https://www.yugenykk.org/

My final offsite manga recommendation is Girl's Last Tour, which is another personal favorite of mine. Girl's Last Tour is a surreal and deeply introspective iyashikei featuring two women finding solace and joy in each other's company as they live out their lives exploring the final fading embers of humanity together. This one comes with the caveat that I can't in good conscience call it yuri but I know there are some who would fiercely argue otherwise. Although it is not a romance, the story still revolves heavily around their relationship with each other which could perhaps be best described as platonic soul mates,

last edited at Apr 28, 2022 2:47PM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Can't say I'm too wildly interested in this one so far. Both female leads feel like they're gonna end up kinda shitty people to me, or they're going to try and "justify" it by making their boyfriends shitty despite their initially pleasant demeanors. I'll keep an eye on it but I don't want this to turn into a guy hate fest just for "the yuri".

To be fair 90% of real people are shitty people and that likely includes you and me both. Everyone is the hero of their own story. They just don't seem to realize they are the villain in somebody else's.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Can't really blame her for not noticing the mood when you don't tell her it's you. :D

Pluss that was a frickin' huge flock of pigeons!!!

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Just because some things that match creepypastas have been found to exist due to the otherside, that doesn't mean that EVERYTHING on the internet can be found that way. Attempting to "game the system" so to speak will likely either accomplish nothing, or get you something that may look sort of like what you want, but which is actually something that makes things much worse.

LN Vol 6 spoiler I think if even a memepasta like templeborn exists other stuff might be included and they should keep an eye out. I also remember Kozakura or maybe Sorawo said that the otherside is communicating with them through their brains and is getting some info from them so the otherside might copy the info from the net lore library in Sorawo's brain Just a thought

It's a bit of a chicken or the egg conundrum. The so-called true ghost stories, do they start as fictions that the Otherside begins to twist reality around to match, or do they start as twists in reality from the Otherside that somebody encounters and then shares with others thus becoming the seeds of urban legends? Perhaps it is a bit of both, a self-reinforcing feedback loop.

last edited at Dec 1, 2021 7:00AM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

This looks like it will be a fun story.

Not a fan of Oni being translated as Ogre (personal pet peeve, lol), but otherwise this looks great!

Gotta say I'm with you there. Ogres and Oni are not the same thing. Let me put it this way: If I was reading a Western fantasy book written in English, with a Japanese setting, and it had Oni, they'd call them Oni. I know because I've read several such and that's what they do.
For that matter, I've read at least one manga that did have at least one ogre girl who was in fact a Western ogre (along with an elf girl, an orc girl, a werewolf girl etc) so when I saw "Ogre girl" I was glumly expecting an actual ogre girl.

Ogre is the closest Western mythological analogue, though, and while depictions of either aren't exactly what you'd call rigorously consistent they share a lot of traits and themes.

Another question entirely is why the term should be translated in the first place. Basically anyone who's had any meaningful amount of contact with Japanese popular culture knows what it means after all...

Well, exactly. Sure, if you're going to translate it at all, I guess ogre is what you've got (although I've seen demon, but that has problems too). But why translate it? As I say, an English language book, not translated at all, would almost certainly use the Japanese term.

I think "demon" is probably a closer analog than "ogre" but honestly neither fit. It would be a bit like if you translated "La Llorona" into "banshee." They both have a lot of traits in common but they are not the same thing. Both terms describe distinct entities that are unique to the cultures that spawned them. You can't just insert the closest legend from the culture you are translating the source material for and have it work. Another example would be if you translated "Godzilla" as "Lockness Monster."

joined Jul 19, 2018

Ten doesn't just push the boundaries of suspension of disbelief, it totally leaves them crushed underfoot and bleeding to death. If they had gone with 12, I could have hand-waved it away, since I myself was pretty close to my adult height by around age 13 but a ten-year-old just doesn't look like that no matter how early puberty hits. I was probably taller than this girl at age ten, but there is a big difference between being tall for your age and looking like an adult.

Other than the age being ridiculously pushed, its a pretty cute manga so far.

last edited at Oct 30, 2021 12:54PM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

For me the "point of no return", as you put it, was already in File 11, which is the end of volume 3, where Toriko confesses. From then on things start escalating and with each file it gets gayer and gayer lol

Fair enough. I guess I’ve just seen too much disk horse about “shippers read too much into things” or “stop trying to make everything gay” or “that’s not real rep, it’s just queer baiting” that I figure I needed something more intense than just a love confession to convince other people it’s “real” yuri. And tongue action certainly seems intense enough to convince even the most annoying of people.

I guess I can understand what you mean. I've definitely held myself back from seeing characters as a possible couple before, because I was afraid of becoming one of those "annoying shippers"... But for this particular work, it was already so blatantly gay that I don't think it was much of an issue XD

From the very start, it's pretty obvious both MCs find each other attractive and are into each other on some level. The main issue is they both suffer from a crap ton of emotional baggage and crazy which complicates the Hell out of everything.

It also doesn't help that they are further scrambling their minds with each and every contact they make with the Otherside. They are both 4th kind at this point and yet they still keep diving deeper down the rabbit hole which is exactly what Migiwa is trying to warn them about in this last chapter. Migiwa is basically telling them, look at what is left of my friends and colleagues who pursued exploring the Otherside just like you two continue to do so. They aren't even recognizably human anymore.

last edited at Oct 29, 2021 12:07AM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Related to the novel: is volume 6 the final volume or will there be more?

Volume 7 is currently scheduled for a Dec 16 release in Japan. No indication that will be the final volume either.

edit:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/4150315094/

The official English translation is being done over at Jnovel Club. They recently finished translating volume 6. I imagine they will start translating and releasing chapters for volume 7 shortly after its official release in Japan.

last edited at Oct 26, 2021 8:33AM

joined Jul 19, 2018

I can't even express how much I love this, just know that it's now on my top right next to Bloom Into You

It's way too sweet for its own good. It's already cost me 3 teeth and half a pancreas but I can't stop coming back for more.

last edited at Oct 24, 2021 2:07AM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Sometimes I have this urge of slapping Toriko no matter how much I like her. I just want them to stop and just go to the yuri romance route instead

Don’t worry, the yuri is coming. . . Eventually. . . We’re like, half way there. . .

This story is not a romance so it is probably wise to keep expectations in line with that. Having said that, it is however yuri and it certainly does eventually live up to that particular tag. The original material is a light novel so there is a lot of inner monologue that's ended up on the cutting room floor when it comes to Sorawo's thoughts and motivations. A large portion of those inner thoughts revolve around Toriko. We've also seen it hinted in the manga that Sorawo is a seriously messed up girl, but without her ever-present inner monologue as a reminder, it's easier to forget that fact while watching the two interact.

I think this is actually a really solid adaption of the source material. Surreal psychological horror is NOT an easy medium to translate across different types of media and this manga really does capture the original story quite well.

last edited at Oct 24, 2021 2:48AM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Gasp!

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Damn, I really need to watch what kind of mood I'm in before I decide to read new chapters of this one.

Looking East
VAMPEERZ discussion 22 Sep 06:31
joined Jul 19, 2018

I am once again asking for a full length GL historical drama about persian lesbians (bonus points for vampires)

That is a very tall order. The best I can come up with for a proper Persian GL historical drama would be Otoyomegatari. It is a beautifully illustrated award-winning manga that explores marriage and romance across multiple different cultures in the Central Asian region of the mid-1800s. The artwork is truly stunning.

The manga has multiple storylines following a handful of separate romances in different cultures. Each of those romances is basically a self-contained story. One of those stories is about two Persian women becoming "sister brides." The manga is tastefully NSFW and it's actually really hard to describe what it should be tagged with. You'll have to see for yourself, but I would definitely categorize it under some form of GL.

This substory is the only one that is GL. It can be found starting on Chapter 36 "In Her Garden" through Chapter 44 "When the Roses Bloom" then resumes for Chapter 83 "Persian Nights" through Chapter 87 "Knowing Somebody for a Long Time." Skip Chapter 84

https://mangafast.net/otoyomegatari-chapter-36-eng

It's worth checking out for the artwork alone, but if you are into historical romance you might enjoy the other stories as well.

last edited at Sep 22, 2021 7:01AM

joined Jul 19, 2018

Well that was an awfully casual almost rape scene huh

I'm not sure I would describe beating some schmuck half to death with a broken wine bottle as "almost casual" but this story certainly does have some dark bits at times.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

The Moe up the Butt tag kind of gives the wrong impression here since this art syle isn't moe. Maybe consider adding Non-moe art style.

Just tag it with both, the art style may be a little different but this is still cute as all hell, especially when any of them smile

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

The Moe up the Butt tag kind of gives the wrong impression here since this art syle isn't moe. Maybe consider adding Non-moe art style.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Why is the heck this still tagged as "yuri?"

They did kiss a couple chapters back so it is maybe a bit more than subtext perhaps a little bit maybe

Did you not just see the intense Tier 11 transdimensional handholding that occured in this last chapter?!

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

I’m heartbroken. This needed to go on forever.

I'm going to miss this one.

A lot.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Grrrr!

(╯ರ ~ ರ)╯︵ ┻━┻

This and Goodbye Distopia both ending on the same day and both doing so open-endedly!

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Neat.

joined Jul 19, 2018

Did this just end?!