Forum › Posts by Looking East

Looking East
Oddman 11 discussion 07 Jan 17:35
45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Setsu, that's rape.

I was about to make a joke about it which prompted some odd tangential thoughts. What makes "rape" rape? I mean it's a type of assault that is sexual in nature, but does that make doing a Kancho rape? Or like how far does one have to go before anal assault becomes anal rape or is it even rape if only anal is involved?

We live in weird world.

Looking East
Roomshare discussion 02 Jan 22:57
joined Jul 19, 2018

I'll make that lie come true.

What a badass line there.

That line right there, made the manga.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Every chapter of this breathtakingly rendered slow-motion trainwreck leaves me needing more. This was definitely not a virtuous, or even smart, move by the husband, but you have to figure...he is probably desperate to talk about this to somebody, and - in typical male fashion - if he has any other male friends, he would probably not be comfortable admitting to any of them that his wife cheated on him, let alone with a woman.

And something else: he probably expects his sister-in-law to relish having something "over" a family member and would turn on Aya, because that's what would happen in HIS family. It doesn't occur to him that, push come to shove, she'll side with supporting her sister.

Why does everybody think the husband is a bad guy? Honestly, though, he seems like the most decent person out of the three. He loves Ayano and wants her to be happy, he's always talked to her and asked her what she wants, then Ayano fucked up bad and he's even trying to cope with it somehow. He hasn't given me one reason to dislike him.

what he did this chapter was pretty shitty I think, if ayano wanted to talk with her sister she would, and he knew that she didn't say anything to Kaede, he went as far as being all cryptic and sending her to the bar for shock value, if he just wanted to talk to someone he would have been streightforward with Kaede and just tell her what it was. Maybe he didn't act sooner because he couldn't believe or he was a bit of a coward to break up or get mad over it, but I think this first act of passive agressiveness from him won't be the last

He does get bonus points for cowardice but it may actually be too early to even accuse him of malicious intent since we are not privy to why he did it. Even if he was aiming to shit stir the wrongness of his actions is still absolutely dwarfed by those of his wife, We have someone who has been horribly betrayed and intentionally wronged by his spouse repaying that betrayal with what is at worst some very low grade passive aggressiveness that doesn't really even cross any lines like lying. I mean as far as throwing a passive aggressive punch goes that's barely a flick in the nose and that's assuming he had bad intentions. He may legitimately be trying to get his sister's input on the whole thing and is too afraid to face his wife's elicit lover himself.,

last edited at Dec 31, 2019 3:44AM

joined Jul 19, 2018

This manga is too adorable for words.

joined Jul 19, 2018

There were no promises that this will be a story in yuri genre and how is this s-class when they are not even dating each other nor having feeling of a romantic love. Friendship can be intimate too and stories about it do exist. Friendship is a relationship with another person and it has similar conflicts like other relationships. It a shame to see this conversation over and over and this extent of labeling things right and left are oversaturates and erases real queerbait. I can understand bitterness over lack of good yuri-stories, but why do this.

Exactly. It really does sicken me when I see the sort of hateful, narrow minded bigotry towards "het" on here that I would expect from a 19th century white plantation owner seeing a black man kissing his daughter.

joined Jul 19, 2018

But why wtf ? At least she care for MC, unlike the teacher.

For one, toxic relationships fascinate me, and I like them in my fiction, as long as it doesn't include shit like cheating, ntr and het. So I want to see teach and Aya together cause they would have a very interesting dynamic imo. If you compare, Haruki x Aya is just...meh. Super boring.

Idk about others, I dislike Haruki because she comes off as a desperate thot to me. Her presence is just very annoying. Poking her nose where it doesn't belong. Like girl, stop. Either confess or shut the fuck up. Let Aya do whatever she wants.

I don't know. When it comes to "desperate thots" that teacher has it written all over her. The childhood friend has more of a nosy neighbor thing going on. She is annoying but seems nice for the most part outside of the jealousy stuff.

So far I'm quite fond of this series. I really don't like the teacher since she is quite a nasty piece of work, but that's what makes her interesting. I just hope the author doesn't go the route of trying to make her into a caricature psychopath and villain. Not all shallow people who manipulate and use others need to be outright villains.

last edited at Dec 29, 2019 4:25PM

Looking East
Liberta discussion 19 Dec 15:45
joined Jul 19, 2018

Well, there's that cat manga....

The one from this author? Yeah, but that hasn't been updated at all

I think they mean the other cat manga...

My eyes! Where's the bleach!?

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

So we're not authorized to criticize ? "Even thought we're adults" have prove that the husband doesn't necesserly had not be a dick, neither we need one of the MC to be pregnant. I personally think that making the husband an asshole is a cheap way tomake the yuri easier.

So are we not authorized to criticize someones poorly thought out critique? I personally think nit picking such a trivial detail is just a cheap way to criticize a narrative that makes some people uncomfortable.

last edited at Dec 17, 2019 11:13PM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Why would I root for a relationship between these people. MC deserves someone who has even a shred of respect or empathy for them.

Why do you assume it's the author's intent for you to route for them? I get the feeling this story is out to explore the abyss first and tell a love story second.

last edited at Dec 17, 2019 4:07AM

joined Jul 19, 2018

One question- is this the usual in this situation, of not that she can NOT talk for physical reasons, like vocal cords destroyed by illness etc - but that she can't talk for mental/emotional issues she may overcome?

Ch2 page 2 seems to indicate she can still physically talk- or at least seemed so to me.

A mentally ill abuse parent cut out her tongue when she was an infant who wouldn't stop crying?

joined Jul 19, 2018

Ookuma literraly give her the green light last chapter when she say she wouldn't be gross if Kanda was a girl (which she is ofc) so what give ? I know she seem to be insecure about the future of the relation as 2 girls and it's legitimate but not revealing her that you're a woman and still playing the man act ain't gonna help either in this regard. The sooner you reveal, the sooner you can deal with this problem with Ookuma and figure out how you want the relation to work.

On an another note i'm curious about Naru. Kanda said dude while talking about Naru and ask it to go out because she gonna change so i'm wondering if Naru is actually a crossdresser but then again i found that strange for a girl to share an appartement with a boy who isn't from her family.

Dude is a somewhat gender neutral term depending on context and who is using it. I have had several tomboy female friends that used "dude" often just as an informal way to address any friend including other girls at times. It is used more often when referring to a guy but its not definitive.

joined Jul 19, 2018

You know that the author is Japanese right ? And the original version is in Japanese too ?With probably the sama and sensei use. We don't even know where it is since there is no indication of space, so yeah it could be no in Japan as it can totally be and even if it's not in Japan, i don't think that even a reason to translate the honorifics as,again, in the context, sama don't have a real translation who can fit.

The author is Japanese? Whoa? Who knew? In that case they shouldn't translate it at all, the work was intended to be read in Japanese, they shouldn't change that vision.

I think it comes down to the translator's preference. The whole honorifics thing is so deeply ingrained in Japanese culture and dialogue that it often simply can't be translated into English without losing a lot of the meaning. Some translators prefer to leave in the honorifics in order to preserve that context and meaning and some prefer to translate what they can into nice smooth flowing 100% English while losing some of the meaning. It's not a big deal either way.

I don't see the point in people getting worked up about something so trivial regardless of their preference,

last edited at Dec 7, 2019 11:00PM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Kanojo ni Naritai.is a bit different, because it all happens in a single school, but actually, I'm not interested in stories about LGBT communities.

While I understand the need for some people to group up for protection, the whole concept of "communities", whatever group they are (black, white, gay, latino, christian, jewish, muslim, abc, trans, all of the above, whatever...) looks like a failure to me. Even the flags irk me. It reeks of nationalism. And nationalism is war.

I know that the model of the American/English society is built on communities, but it looks like apartheid to me. It's a model built on distrust. It looks comfortable, at first, because you're among people who share your worldview, but these communities are doomed to oppose each other because isolation leads to groupthink and incomprehension. As intelligent beings and part of he same species, we should be able to live and let live together, whatever the background, identity, or sexual preference. We should have grown out of the tribe mentality.

Now, I sound idealistic and in contradiction with my previous rant about how these manga are angelic, but what I have a problem with is the concept of "people of the same feather flock together" and how it somehow is something positive in the long run and it solves problems. These people help each other, but at the same time, they isolate themselves from the "other". This, in return, leads to hostility from narrow minded people from all sides who feel threatened by the "alien" community. We have seen here numerous times that some LGBTQ+ people can be as intolerant as anyone when it comes to other lifestyles, especially when they feel secure in their group. Lesbians hating on trans, trans hating on cis, gay hating on bi, etc...

I don't have a magical solution to these problems, but I'm sure as hell that communitarianism isn't one.

It's silly to cry about the sky being blue. You better start getting used to it. Humans group up with other like minded humans. It is our nature.

last edited at Dec 7, 2019 12:29PM

Looking East
Dear NOMAN discussion 30 Nov 02:27
joined Jul 19, 2018

Wow.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Flip Flappers deserves much more recognition than it gets.

joined Jul 19, 2018

Whoa totally didn't know this has been updating on other sites. Was a nice 15 chapter binge. Ofc it had to end in tears. Ch 67 really reminded me why I love this series so much. Such a simple chapter, but damn it just hit you in the right places.

Funnily enough, the more yuri fanservice chaps like 65 and the bath one are the ones I enjoy the least. They always feel out of place since it doesn't go anywhere and doesn't add anything to the storyline. The two always feel ooc in those chapters too.

I had no idea.

I'm not throwing shade or anything. This is a legitimate question. Is Dynasty Reader currently under staffed when it comes to uploaders? I've noticed a lot of yuri series on other sites that either haven't been uploaded here or were partially uploaded but forgotten or dropped at some point.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

BTW I didn't like the anime.

Please man! You don't have to go like this! Let's talk this through! You still have so much Bocchi to live for... don't throw it away like that! I will keep the fans busy, you better runnnn-!

The anthrax is already in the mail.

joined Jul 19, 2018

And yet again, the transwoman is "perfect". If she didn't say she was a guy before, none would have guessed.

IMO, this way of portraying transwomen by mangaka is as bad as portraying them as ridiculous muscled unshaved drag-queens haunting bars in Roppongi. It's a lie.

how is it bad to portray women as women? even if their trans, it's pretty easy to "pass" look at any trans woman and you most likely be hard-pressed to tell if you your not told beforehand

It's about as disingenuous to say all trans women "pass" as it is to say none of them do. Like most things in life it's rarely black and white. In my own experiences I would say I've seen more that haven't passed than have but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a mangaka presenting their characters either way so long as they aren't being intentionally offensive aka drawing there characters as unflattering caricatures.

I was originally going to add my two cents about a different common trope in trans manga that I find completely immersion breaking and contrary to real life experience, but on second thought it could lead to some big thread derailing argument which could hurt people's feelings so it's best to just leave it unsaid.

Of course you’ve seen more who haven’t passed then did pass, you wouldn’t notice the ones who did. That is the definition of passing

That's a good point, but I'm just counting those people I have known personally rather than random people I see while wandering around in the world. Unless you actually know the person there is no way to confirm if somebody is trans or not since there are plenty of non-trans people who just like cross dressing and plenty who you will miss because they pass as you pointed out. Having said that, my sample size is actually very small since it's a portion of the lgbt rainbow I just don't normally cross paths with often. I have only ever known 4 self described trans individuals, none of them particularly well. Always like a friend of a friend. Of those, one passed well, as in I actually was surprised when I found out. Two didn't and one I was on the fence about.

Anyway, my point was simply that it doesn't really matter if somebody passes or not and that's true of manga characters as well. There is nothing wrong with either type of character being portrayed.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

This is seriously bringing back some fucked up memories of some very dark times. Skip the wedding, girl.

Looking East
Akuryou discussion 14 Nov 22:48
joined Jul 19, 2018

We're not gonna tag it, please don't ask.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Thank You.

I want to kick the responsible party in the shins every time I have one of these dramatic twist stories ruined by blatant spoiling tags.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Being lead on by the person you've loved for years is a miserable experience

Indeed.

Particularly when it is intentional.

joined Jul 19, 2018

And yet again, the transwoman is "perfect". If she didn't say she was a guy before, none would have guessed.

IMO, this way of portraying transwomen by mangaka is as bad as portraying them as ridiculous muscled unshaved drag-queens haunting bars in Roppongi. It's a lie.

I mean, can we be real here? Is there even a way to portray a transwoman as not passing without drawing her intentionally as overly masculine and unshaved in Manga Style? Like, even if she is drawn with average masculine proportions in this kind of artstyle, she would still look have a mature feminine beauty, considering that your average mangastyle man has a highly androgynous look and could be easily genderswapped by just adding longer hair. Hell, even in Kanojo ni Naritai Kimi to Boku Akira, who is deliberately drawn as not being able to pass easily, could just as well have been a tall tomboyish ciswoman when it comes to manga art-conventions.

Good point. It's actually pretty rare to find a mangaka with a detailed enough style to really pull this off convincingly.

joined Jul 19, 2018

how is it bad to portray women as women? even if their trans, it's pretty easy to "pass" look at any trans woman and you most likely be hard-pressed to tell if you your not told beforehand

It's about as disingenuous to say all trans women "pass" as it is to say none of them do. Like most things in life it's rarely black and white. In my own experiences I would say I've seen more that haven't passed than have but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a mangaka presenting their characters either way so long as they aren't being intentionally offensive aka drawing there characters as unflattering caricatures.

I was originally going to add my two cents about a different common trope in trans manga that I find completely immersion breaking and contrary to real life experience, but on second thought it could lead to some big thread derailing argument which could hurt people's feelings so it's best to just leave it unsaid.

Looking East
1 x ½ discussion 13 Nov 16:37
joined Jul 19, 2018

23 here o/
But hey, at least I love myself.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

last edited at Nov 13, 2019 4:40PM

joined Jul 19, 2018

This series is criminally under rated.