please tell me this is satire

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

But where is the flute????

Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

QC fail on page 3... Oops.

So, uh, I honestly struggled to follow the plot of this and the final "WHOOPS MISUNDERSTANDING" as the ending was pretty dumb. Kinda like Manga no Tsukurikata, really!

Shame, 'cuz the art is nice.

This actually didn't go through proper QC technically because of a miscommunication so shhh. Just kidding, I'll ask the guys to maybe upload a v2 on the YP site. My bad, will be adding you the the QCers.

Haha sorry if I seemed a bit harsh, not my intention, these things happen to everyone. I just had to reread the page a few times to grasp what was going on and was super confused at first :x

Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Is this considered a sequel to another doujin? On page 41 Honoka mentioned Maki envied guys before. I feel like i read a HonoMaki doujin that mentions that, but I cant find it.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_dogs_desire_and_the_reality_of_discipline#42

Probably somewhere in one of Inuzuka Bowl's many HonoMaki doujins. They released about five or so from memory. Not sure where the origin of that is, to be honest; would need to go back and dig through my collection... I don't own some of their oldest doujins either.

Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

QC fail on page 3... Oops.

So, uh, I honestly struggled to follow the plot of this and the final "WHOOPS MISUNDERSTANDING" as the ending was pretty dumb. Kinda like Manga no Tsukurikata, really!

Shame, 'cuz the art is nice.

Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

The only thing I'm confused about is what exactly their relationship was in the flashback - where they dating, and had to separate? Was Umi confessing Kotori, only for Kotori to say she couldn't return her feelings because of her plans for college? I probably just missed it though.

I thought it was preeeeeeetty obvious they're in a long-distance relationship...

Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

All I have to say is

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

this manga caused me physical pain to read. jesus christ. please do not run without wearing proper fitting bras, it will FUCKING HURT, just don't do it. ;_;

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

The school year starts in April. If you're born before April 1 you enter 1st grade at six otherwise you have to wait until you're almost 7. So she's making the excuse for other people not knowing her birthday that April is a hectic month. Something like that. It is implied that she has no issues remembering others' April birthdays. While she's sociable, both her and the baby sloth are actually a bit lonely. She gives more than she gets.

On edit: I love how they both go to sleep in their street clothes. I lived in a cold part of Japan, and that's truth in manga.

Thank you for explaining this perfectly!

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

jesus christ what is this thread

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

I still absolutely loathe the translation of "Darii" as "Dolly" ugh. but this is really cute.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

por que no los dos dot jpeg

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

so.... it just end like this ???

tMnR's UmiEli books are in a rough pseudo-series.

Deep Sea Blue Like Me –> The Secret Shokolad (vol. 1) –> The Secret Shokolad (vol. 2) –> Fortunate Re”lation –> Your Straightforward Expression –> passion –> tMnR's next release.

... Release order is something more like: Deep Sea Blue Like Me –> Fortunate Relation –> Your Straightforward Expression –> Passion –> The Secret Shokolad (vol. 1) –> The Secret Shokolad (vol. 2) –> Fortunate Re"lation (rerelease of Fortunate Relation) –> next release.

Maybe you should add this in Secret Shokolad's description?

Or even add these one shots to one "volume"/"series"? ^^" would be easier to find and read them

As I discussed earlier, the reason I haven't done that is:
a) that there's no natural volume title / grouping for these. "tMnR's UmiEli Stories" doesn't make for the nicest volume collection!
b) tMnR released them in non-chronological order and they are thus obviously okay to be read in whatever order.

But as always I will leave these things up to the wisdom of Dynasty moderators. :P

btw I see that our (on dynasty) Fortunate Relation isn't full! Based on this preview: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=55676510 (because we don't have Eri x Nozomi talk here....)

As discussed previously also, and also on the release page for this release..., Fortunate Re"lation is a re-release of Fortunate Relation (the one we already did) with a couple of extra pages. We are debating on whether to release it as there is not much in the way of new content in it.

coincidentally, tMnR just put out a preview of their next book.

http://touch.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?illust_id=56901524&mode=medium

yes, and raizoo and I have been subsequently dying about it ever since. dear god I'm excited for it. weeps softly

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Girls in Boxes

I hope I romanised it correctly...!

It's almost correct. Phonetically, "Alyonka/Aljonka" would've been better since "ё" after a consonant produces an [ɵ] sound and palatalizes the aforementioned consonant (technically, "лё" is supposed to sound like [lʲɵ], but I find it to be closer to [lɜː] in "learn", only softer).
But it's not like anybody cares about small details like that when there is drunken underage almost-groping just a couple of pages later.

Interesting... Probably not enough to issue a correction though, yeah, because nobody is going to notice. But it's nice to know. Thank you!

As you might be able to tell, I rely entirely on some pretty desperate Google searches for anything Russian. If a result produced a reasonable number of hits, I go with that. :P

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

^ Read up a couple of posts and be illuminated.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

so.... it just end like this ???

tMnR's UmiEli books are in a rough pseudo-series.

Deep Sea Blue Like Me –> The Secret Shokolad (vol. 1) –> The Secret Shokolad (vol. 2) –> Fortunate Re”lation –> Your Straightforward Expression –> passion –> tMnR's next release.

... Release order is something more like: Deep Sea Blue Like Me –> Fortunate Relation –> Your Straightforward Expression –> Passion –> The Secret Shokolad (vol. 1) –> The Secret Shokolad (vol. 2) –> Fortunate Re"lation (rerelease of Fortunate Relation) –> next release.

last edited at May 14, 2016 9:05PM

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

I can see the author is very familiar with what Russians like in their sweets. I appreciate that. Not every artist does their research properly, that's some real dedication for you.

This was also referenced in Eli's text to Alisa. I hope I romanised it correctly...!

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Bless this. So nice.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

People sure are satisfied with nothing much around here. Two vaguely gay sentences and they call that yuri.

To me, it's even less yuri than Kiniro Mosaic. Just cute girls doing cute things.

I may sound negative, but this is not really interesting. And as a 4-koma, there'll never be any progress to speak of.

Luckily, you don't have to read it if it's not interesting to you! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feels like I can't win with this one. I like this series, I think it's cute and funny, not sure why it matters so much whether it's yuri enough or not. Do other 4koma posted here get this kind of complaining...? Sigh.

last edited at May 7, 2016 5:55AM

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

There's something I don't understand. What's Alisa's problem?

Be patient for chapter two, my friend.

Hmmm, I'm wondering why the name says Shokolad when the katakana would probably mean chocolate.

"Probably", except that it definitely does not?

I mean, it does in a sense that "Shokolad" is Russian for chocolate (and I would've hoped the story context + similarity to the English word made that clear), but シャカラート is certainly not チョコレート.

シャカラート is a Japanese pronunciation of шоколад , which can be romanised as "Shokolad". I decided to keep the Russian word rather than completely translate it to English because I think it's a cute little hint of story flavour, is relevant in chapter two, and because Japanese readers would likewise be like "Hmm, what's this word mean? It's kinda similar to チョコレート, maybe it's something similar? Ah and there's Russian language there... must be Russian." Evoking the same reaction in English seemed pretty nice to me!

last edited at May 6, 2016 7:34PM

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

This is a good day to be alive.
Also, does anyone know the chronological order of all Yukiiti's EriUmi doujins? How many of them still untranslated?

From the release post:

Deep Blue Sea Like Me –> The Secret Shokolad (vol. 1) [this one!] –> The Secret Shokolad (vol. 2) [coming soon!] –> Fortunate Re”lation [re-release of Fortunate Relation; not yet scanlated] –> Your Straightforward Expression –> passion –> her next planned release.

I hope these doujins can be put in one series and in chronological order too so it would be much easier to follow through and easier to read too

Though they're technically related, they don't exactly fall into one series basket as easily as you might think. What would you call it, for example? There's no nice grouping, really. Additionally, they are obviously not required to be read in chronological order - they weren't released that way, after all! tMnR simply put up that chronological order list on her Twitter to sate some curiosities, I imagine.

That said, I will defer to the wisdom of drpepperfan and others. :p

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Her art is just so amazing...I really want to buy these in hard copy but I live in Australasia....sigh.

I live in Australia too... Look up forwarding companies. Some will even do the purchasing for you if you can't navigate the Japanese.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

... It's also still confusing that it's her Twitter handle and not tMnR/Yuki no Hitohira.

I've been a fan of Yukiiti for years now and I didnt realized the time she changed(?) her name to tMnR?

She's signed all of her books as tMnR (pronounced "Tomonori"). I suspect the Yukiiti part came from someone needing to categorise a Twitter sketch of hers and not knowing otherwise. (It's her Twitter username, but even her display name on Twitter is tMnR)...

Just to be clear on this one, yes, tMnR has not released these books in chronological order. The scanlation release order should more or less follow the release order, and the aforementioned chronological order is from a twitter post she made earlier this month.

I'm glad I haven't read her other doujins except the Deep Blue Sea one, such a lucky one.
Thank you very much GiB for the release. Yukiiti gives me so much life.. cries softly in the corner
So I'm goin to Japan next year and was wondering how can I get her autograph..? ;;_;;

Be very polite at an event she goes to. :P

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Should this also be moved to that new volume? since this looks like a prequel to it

It's a kind of hard question in this regard.

When tMnR first started releasing UmiEli they were sorta vaguely related but not exactly. But as more things have come out (in non-chronological order) she's started connecting them so that there's a pseudo-series. But it doesn't really have a series name (besides, like, idk, "tMnR's cute UmiEli stuff") and you don't strictly speaking have to read them in order (since they weren't released that way anyway).

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

I'm not complaining either way, but are we getting this now because of the order in which the scanners obtained the books, or did tMnR go back and write confession drama after making lovey-dovey couple books?

Just to be clear on this one, yes, tMnR has not released these books in chronological order. The scanlation release order should more or less follow the release order, and the aforementioned chronological order is from a twitter post she made earlier this month.