Forum › Posts by Kirin

Kirin
Yuru Oyako discussion 18 Oct 03:51
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

That page doesn't show Yuusuke working at some job. It shows Yuusuke throwing away whatever little money he still had at the champagne room of some sleazy club.

The guy really is going down disaster hill at breakneck speed. He's gonna end up sleeping under a bridge.

I feel like he'd be the kind of guy who could walk down the street shirtless and get taken in by some emotionally-fragile single OL lady who's desperate for validation, and then he'd mooch off of her until she booted him out, before repeating the process as he treks across Japan. But considering how many OL yuri stories start with a woman turning to her best friend or coworker for solace after getting duped by a shitty guy, he could inadvertently cause mass lesbian awakenings across the country. Which is fine, as long as he doesn't crawl back into the main story much.

Kirin
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

What is Archer doing here?
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/virgins_empire_ch113#5

I'm pretty sure Archer X Cu is to BL fans what NicoMaki is to Yuri fans.

Also, anyone else thinks Midori feels out of place in this series? It's like she was created for another series and by another artist but somehow got into this one instead. Reminds me of an oneshot, not that I know how to find it again.

I do feel like Midori's one of the more unusual members of the cast, but since Teikoku is all about capturing the sheer chaos of a highschool full of weirdos in their quirky little cliques, 'different from the other characters' is less of an issue and more of a reason to incorporate said character in the first place. I do think that her whole 'I draw yaoi, but my art is shit and nobody points it out' schtick is rather drab, but she's got good chemistry with the others. As loud, bratty pseudo-loli characters in series full of more mature people go, she definitely isn't as grating as, say, Yashiro from Adachi and Shimamura. I think the author could do more with her, but Torajirou is juggling fifteen balls of pure gold here, so perhaps it'd be best to wait for her to get an arc of her own.

Kirin
Image Comments 18 Oct 03:32
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Cxwe9rgukaarvae

This pic would make a great cover for the Idiot's Guide to Yuri 101.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I started reading the webnovel for the yuri, but Rei was what really made it work for me. Her relationship with Claire is fine- nothing groundbreaking, typical long-term reward fluffy tsundere conquering- but I feel like the webnovel's best parts are when Rei just takes some time to sit down and introspect about class politics, social norms and her own identity within a new world. The author could've just written a 100% yuri version of Bakarina and the fans would've lapped it up, but there's so much more that this story has to offer. It's very willing to examine its own tropes and talk about real-world issues both within and beyond the lens of a fantasy setting, and Rei is honestly one of the best takes on your standard otome isekai protagonist I've ever seen (and not just because she's gay). I'm loving the manga so far, and I hope it doesn't cut out the more introspective and personal sections like so many LN adaptations often do.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Can't stop imagining the older sister coming in later, seeing a big, sloppy kiss stain on the mirror, and wondering if her kid sister is trying to tell her something.

Kirin
Image Comments 18 Oct 00:54
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
76698700_p0

^ That's an interesting point. I was focusing more on a fictional perspective, because you get tons of female knights and stuff in stories, even though historically, I'm guessing virtually all knights were male. Fantasy and fiction remove the need for accuracy, so ultimately it's more about the aesthetic than anything else.
The lack of sailors might just come from sailors being underrepresented in fiction in general. I guess the modern age is so full of conveniences that most people don't really get how momentous it was to sail into the unknown seas in search of new land. Plus, a lot of spaceship-oriented sci-fi scratches that itch, and allows you to dodge around technicalities with stuff like warp engines, while in a story about sailors, you'd have to bring in actual nautical terminology, which is too esoteric for most people to care about.
The closest I've seen to sailor rep is the pirate fiction genre, and even that's more about the thrill of rebellion than anything related to the ocean or sailing in particular. One Piece isn't known for it's accuracy, and stuff like Azur Lane and Kancolle revolve more around the player's self-insert making decisions than the women themselves operating as sailors.
Which ties back into my original point about how we desperately need more sailor rep, whether it's hyper-realistic or even relatively fantastical. You'd think Japan would be more into it, considering that they made the sailor fuku a mandatory school uniform for about half a century.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Every chapter of this adds a year to my life, though the mini-cardiac arrests shave off a proportionate amount.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I started watching K-On recently, and I'm honestly surprised by how great it is. I've never been a huge fan of moe, and since K-On is widely considered the show that made CGDCT a juggernaut, I'd always figured it'd be some sad otaku-bait mewling loli-fest. Never have I been more glad to be proven wrong.

The show's pretty heavy on the moe, but there's a certain subtle, fascinating undercurrent of realism running through it as well, from the tiniest of gestures to the shortest of dialogues. Everything that the girls do radiates individuality, and while they're all firmly rooted in their respective archetypes, there's also just enough interesting contradictions and one-off quirks to give the whole show a sense of authenticity. Don't get me wrong, it isn't Boyhood with Japanese girl bands, but it tempers the cute highschool fantasy with a wonderful layer of verisimilitude, always keeping the interactions fresh and relatable.

The show apparently accumulated a huge female fan-following, and I think it's because it excels at balancing a fairly authentic cast with the whole 'sparkling, never-ending girls' school life' gimmick. The director, Naoto Yamada, has a gift for making the characters seem cute without being saccharinely kawaii, and the whole show just thrums with so much life and momentum. It isn't high art, but it's the most fun I've had watching anything in ages (and it certainly healed my Omoide no Marnie trauma).

I'm only around 10 episodes into season 1, so there's gonna be some fun times ahead. Also, the ending theme is the most catchy song I've heard from anything that's not Touhou.

Kirin
Image Comments 17 Oct 12:30
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
76698700_p0

We need more girls in naval outfits and admiral hats. 75% of the planet is water, so why are only 0.03% of girls in fiction sailors? It's a glaring injustice.

Kirin
Image Comments 17 Oct 12:27
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Ecenlrgu8aakhto-orig

There is a protagonist of the largely-generic designated hero male variety, though the show is aware of this and plays with the trope quite cleverly. But yes, the bulk of the show's emotional quotient and symbolism revolves around Akane and Rikka. To say anything more would be a massive spoiler, though, so you'll have to watch the show yourself (which I recommend, it's excellent).

Kirin
Image Comments 17 Oct 09:03
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Eipwif1xyaacrco-orig

^ Touhou is famously inconsistent with skin hues (see 'Tan Cirno' and 'Zombie Reimu' memes for more), but there's no canon authority on such details, and ZUN would basically say that you're free to imagine what you'd want.
Logically speaking, Reimu does spend a large amount of her day sitting on a veranda or sweeping the shrine grounds under direct sunlight, while Marisa operates out of a dense and shady forest, so it wouldn't be too strange for one of them to have more of a tan.

Kirin
SHY discussion 17 Oct 02:29
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

This series really loves loading its superhero battles with heaps of sexual tension, huh? Not that I'm complaining, this is top quality cuisine.

Kirin
Image Comments 17 Oct 00:13
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Ekjixswvcaavov0-orig

This does look like a pair of thighs (with extremely hairy knees) positioned against the night sky.

Kirin
Image Comments 17 Oct 00:09
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Eipwif1xyaacrco-orig

ReiMari in PC-98: Enemies to Lovers
ReiMari in Windows: Basically Married, still fire lasers at each other on weekends.

Kirin
Image Comments 17 Oct 00:04
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Ejt1lckvkaeq32e-orig

I kinda hope this happens for every Yuri series that gets an anime. It's really heartwarming to see the community express so much support.

Kirin
Image Comments 17 Oct 00:00
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
85031524_p0

The security checks all of us, but who checks the security?
Apparently, it's Remila. Great work, keep at it.

Kirin
Image Comments 16 Oct 23:59
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Ecenlrgu8aakhto-orig

Something Something Kaiju anatomy.

Kirin
Image Comments 16 Oct 23:58
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Egay1fhueaipzqq-orig

The ideal relationship is like a yin-yang symbol. There's always a little bit of each half inside the other.

Kirin
Image Comments 16 Oct 23:56
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Tumblr_pqh869whek1t275jco1_1280

Harley and Ivy did She Becomes a Tree first, just saying.

Kirin
Image Comments 16 Oct 23:55
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
84860184_p0

Renko Byleth: I can read the placement of the stars to pinpoint my exact position.
Edelgard: Really? Where are you?
Renko Byleth: On top.

Kirin
Image Comments 16 Oct 23:53
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
84961540_p0

Reimu: On the right, we have the Wild and Horned Hermit. On the left, we have a Wild and Horny Hermit. And I don't know what's behind me, but I'm honestly afraid to find out.

Kirin
Image Comments 16 Oct 23:51
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Ekj0cllvgaeoynw-orig

A cat is fine too.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

A big part of the appeal of OL series is that they're a more mature take on lesbian relationships, and Koizumi's stuff really works because she excels at using sex as a means to further character development and have people learn things about themselves, as opposed to milking it for pure fanservice or dangling it as a hallowed reward for the last chapter. There's a surprisingly sharp wit and insight to be found here, coupled with a genuine sense of fun that very neatly expresses the controlled chaos of dating and new relationships. Koizumi shows instead of telling, which is a must for more adult- oriented series, even ones as delightfully wacky as this.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I kinda hope Canno doesn't just end this series with the polycule being formed, but actually explores the whole process of being in a three-person relationship, and all the dynamics that result from it. Mayuki seems like the type who'd fixate on one person in the heat of the moment, Rin would probably struggle to voice any protests she has because she'd be too happy to get into her ideal relationship to ever risk antagonizing any of the people involved, and Akira's superiority complex and tendency for envy don't seem like they'd vanish over the weekend. A big theme of this series that's been set up is that It's hard to keep three people together, and watching these girls resolve those issues whilst in a relationship would definitely be interesting, especially with how little poly rep we currently have. I don't really subscribe to the whole getting into a relationship is the culmination of character development belief, especially since the relationship in this context is new territory. Canno's handled the character development with incredible efficiency and subtlety till this point, so I'd definitely want to see this series explore its subject matter in further detail, as opposed to the dreaded time-skip last chapter post-confession(s).

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Reading this story feels like I'm reading some generic shoujo manga from early '10s, where the narcissistic and "smooth" bishounen forces different interactions on the confused, airheaded mc, until she eventually falls for him. And I really don't know how to feel about that. I mean, it's yuri, and that definitely makes things look much better to my hypocritical ass, but still, it's a little...uh. Idk man.

Same here. I'm all for confident, competent, badass lesbians who know what they want, but it feels like the author just straight-up made Mai a Mary Sue, and when the editor told them to put in some humanizing flaws, they just scribbled in 'dubious respect for boundaries'. It's doubly sad because the premise of friends-one-day, lovers-the-next is honestly gold, and has so much potential for exploring the implications of affection, romance, the dreaded two-girl-friendship, the terrors of commitment and the way such an ambiguously romantic relationship would be perceived by the rest of the girls. But the execution so far has been incredibly lackluster. You know a romantic dynamic is flawed when it actively reduces the appeal of both characters involved. I would've much rather seen our MC just having a regular school life for a while before she realizes that some of her friends are into each other and wonders where the line between friendship and love is, and Mai would've also been a lot more interesting as the school beauty who's nice to everyone and romantically interested in no one, before the two finally meet up, become friends and realize their feelings for each other.

Then again, that would just be Bloom Into You reloaded, but the author's decision to take two similar archetypes and just speedrun the relationship with an extra dose of comedy ironically makes this series feel even less original. I still love the art and some of the humor, but unless these two have a proper conversation that isn't just Mai sparkling while the MC screams about how insufferable she is, I honestly can't see this series going anywhere good.