Forum › Posts by Suosiki

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

This may be the first time I've ever liked a futa doujin.

last edited at Apr 13, 2017 9:10PM

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Just to throw my two cents in here, I don't think "male gaze" is an especially useful term. It implies that maleness is inherently heterosexual, as well as inherently objectifying of women, which is actually rather sexist and hetero-centric. Even if it came out of attempts to challenge the default, stereotypical presentation of female bodies, it actively reinforces those stereotypes by associating them with half the planet.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Finally, some good news! California's senate voted in favor of a third gender on ID. I'm so proud of my state right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-_wyDuTpeI

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

The cover for volume 5 is amazing. I want to print it out and frame it on my wall. n.n

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Tbh, the "anti-thesis of the structure" one can easily be classfied as Cubism since it does look like a multiple-perspective deconstruction of the can. Tho I guess that's what the author is going for anyway. A lot of ppl like to make fun of Cubism after all.

Cute girls doing Cubist things!

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

This artist really has a grudge against backgrounds, huh? Like 90% of the manga took place in a white void. I don't have a problem with simplified art but this just felt lazy.

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Also known as the "shoot the hostage" approach.

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I love the author's attitude. "If I don't draw this damn NanoFate smut, no one will!"

And they're really good at it, too!

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Grown up Yuzumori-san, please step all over me.

What the...

Even in such a short clip, she just kinda has that dom feel when she's all grown up. I can't help, but wanna be stepped on. >w<;;;

......yuri fans are weird.

FTFY

Suosiki
Desu no!! discussion 18 Feb 08:11
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Everybody always forgets the "consensual" part of "safe, sane, and consensual."

I'm so glad someone is actually saying this. I swear it seems like no one cares about abuse/rape if it's "fake" which is bullshit

Consensual BDSM is way too rare in yuri. :/

Suosiki
Kananoe! discussion 16 Feb 05:14
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

That last page was like something out of Yurimeku.

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Cat domme. :p

Kyoko really should have kept a pair of safety scissors around...

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Is no one going to talk about that HERO who tried to save the fish?

Obvious metaphor is obvious, but yeah, I was pissed off that nobody seemed to care about the goldfish. :I

Wasn't the hero the senpai that MC had a crush on, too?

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

These characters are 11 and, what, 15? You can't expect adult-level critical thinking and impulse control at that age. Both of these kids are unsure of themselves and behaving in a self-centered way... it's not a recipe for likeable characters, but it is pretty realistic.

Anyway, I'm also liking this more than I thought I would. The art is fantastic; I love the scenes where we go into the character's mindscape.

Is Anonymous a ghost/supernatural in any way, or is that just an effect of Tasuku's point of view? Right now I'm leaning toward the second interpretation, the author might just want to leave it ambiguous though.

(EDIT: especially since we see similar 'sparkles' coming from Misora as we saw from Anonymous before... I don't know if that means anything, but it's something I noticed when re-reading the current chapter)

last edited at Oct 27, 2016 7:25PM

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Putting aside that it's a true story, this is just a really good manga. The tone is perfectly balanced between sadness and humor, and each chapter leaves me in suspense and wanting more. I'm so glad that it got picked up here.

And yeah, I can relate to a lot of this. Not all of it, but more than I'd like.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

So, when a full-grown adult kills someone, he can't be fixed anymore. (don't like the word, but if fits here so..). It is basically too late, he won't change no matter what you try to do, that's why I consider them as "socially incompatible". That's sad, amoral and harsh, but they're lost right from the moment they commit their crime.

Socially incompatible is a relative term. A person can be incompatible to the society they currently live in, but the fault may not lie 100% with the person. Which isn't to excuse them or say that they're not accountable for their actions, only that you discount the role of society when you say a person is lost.

It's also a curiously religious position to take... what exactly about the person is "lost", and how is it lost?

In any case, what you said about adult murderers is not only too broad of a statement, in many cases it's demonstrably untrue. There are murderers who not only have become nonviolent, but spent the rest of their lives teaching people about the negative effects of violence. Stanley Williams, for one.

Also, do some reading on the concept of restorative justice.

I agree on the point about institutions. However, according to what I said above, I think punitive justice is the only remaining way to deal with them.
Although it only applies to the worst criminals, not everyone, ofcourse. I was talking about a murderer here. A "normal" person, or even someone like a thief, or a soldier would need, and for the case of the soldier, must have support.

Actually, I see a lot of parallels between a murderer and a soldier with PTSD. There are people with PTSD who can be rehabilitated and people who can't, but you don't have the authority to determine that. It varies from case to case. Similarly, whether a person who murders can recover from that is going to vary from case to case. If you agree that a soldier -- also a full-grown adult who kills someone -- can be "fixed", then you have to accept that some murderers can be as well.

And I am far more sympathetic to some people who murder out of desperation, mental illness, a history of child abuse, ect. than I am to many soldiers.

Punishment sends the message that human life is cheap, that violence is acceptable, and that certain people can be targeted with violence if they fall within a moral out-group. Also, punishment doesn't only affect the person being punished, but their families and communities. All of which contributes to creating more murderers, not less.

last edited at Aug 28, 2016 7:23PM

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

What is everyone's favorite subject in school? or was

It's a tie between film studies and music history. In general, I liked anything to do with pop culture.

My actual major in school was Geography. At first, I enjoyed studying physical geography the most. But when I got to the upper division courses, the amount of memorization involved kicked my ass... also, I was becoming more interested in politics and political theory at that time. So I did most of my coursework in human geography, learning a little about urban planning, geopolitics, history, sociology, ect... student of many things, master of none. ;)

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

When I was in high school, my classmates went into an argument, "If you were seeing a near-death murderer, would you save him?" some said Yes, while some gave a big No. I was in the "yes" group. The other side asked "What do you think/feel if he kills another person in the future?"

Any answers from you guys?

I basically agree with Galich's answer here, but I'll add a little from my own perspective.

I've seen documentaries on convicted murderers, and one thing that stands out is that a lot of them are fairly mentally retarded. I remember how one man on death row was asked if he had any regrets (about the premeditated murder he committed.) His answer was, "how can you regret something you planned?". It's a non sequiter to anyone else, but to him, that thinking made perfect sense. I think that remedial education would go a long way toward helping many of these people; not just how to read and write, but things like basic logic, critical thinking, and the rules of social interaction.

I don't doubt that there are some people who will never get better and who will always be violent. In those cases, they need someone who can look after them (and they shouldn't be given anything more deadly than a plastic spork), but I don't feel any hatred towards those people.

I'm entirely opposed to punitive justice... people need more support, not punishment. I'm also an advocate of prison abolition. In general, I think institutions do much, much more violence than individuals.

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I positively adore this artist. He portrays romantic relationships so well, better than a lot of more "serious" writers. And his artwork, while extremely cute, shows a wonderful eye for detail.

Chatting At The Amber Teahouse and The Miko's Words are two of my very favorite yuri manga, and my go-to series whenever I need cheering up. I just wish there were more like them.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I'm a bit of a nihilist in that I find morality to be a pointless mechanism created by humans to quantify what they can't comprehend; the terms "good" and "evil" are so contradicting and self-serving in most cases that I honestly don't agree with them, I'd rather believe that everything in this world, in one way or another, revolves around actions and consequences - even right now, I think a lot of things happening in the world are just a string of consequences set off by a significant past action, and that with a given action significant enough to offset the last one, a new string of consequences that can lead to a better future will fall in place.

Well, I don't believe in inherently good or evil people. Someone might be a sociopath or psychopath, and do horrible things because of that, but that doesn't make them evil. It makes them a person who does horrible things, no more, no less. And society plays a large part in determining what a person becomes, so if we live in a culture that rewards sociopathy, we'll have more sociopaths.

I do believe in good and evil actions, though. In my view, good actions are ones that increase agency, or prevent harm. Those who cause harm to others, or take away their agency, in order to serve their own interests are doing something that can be called evil.

We can argue about selfishness vs. altruism, and whether we should help others before ourselves... I don't believe in hard rules like "live for others", "live for yourself", or "live for community", because different people will have wildly different ideas about what a good life consists of. Still, I believe that we all should do something for others, even if it's just creating beautiful art to inspire people. I do think there is a collective good.

I think that valuing an animal's life over human's is pure madness. Not saying this regarding to a specific person, but the valuation of lifes is a normal part of life and the society we live in.

Tbh, sometimes I think the life of an animal is more valuable than a human's; like the whole Harambe incident, I couldn't give any much more of a care if the child died considering their parents were neglectful enough to leave them roaming around, but yet I'm not pleased with the fact that the animal got shot down. Still, it really depends on what kind of human I am dealing with, I'd rather save a cat over a Trump supporter for example, but I'd also rather save a fellow LGBT member over a dog.

I disagree. And in all of those cases, I'd try to save both.

That LGBT person might want to risk their own life to save a dog. And that Trump supporter might be doing so out of genuine concern about the Democratic candidate's actions (e.g. in Honduras and Libya) and sincere belief that Trump is the lesser of two evils.

Also, what do you do in the case of an LGBT Trump supporter? j/k

More importantly, though, everyone's life is equally valuable to themselves, and should be protected whatever our own feelings might be.

Related.

last edited at Aug 28, 2016 3:54AM

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I don't have a list of favorite philosophers, but some writers and thinkers that have had a large impact on me are David Nibert, Angela Davis, Laura Agustin, Mirha Soleil-Ross, Donna Haraway, and William Gillis. I also like some (not all) of Slavoj Zizek's writing.

My favorites, uh. Well, in first place comes Nietzsche. I basically agree with his entire philosophy, and I myself have a nihilistic vision of life.

I see Nietzsche as more of a critic of nihilism. The loss of religious faith leads to nihilism, but after that loss, you have the chance to make your own meaning. IMHO, he was an optimistic philosopher who saw opportunity in disillusionment.

last edited at Aug 27, 2016 9:21PM

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I was scared away by the watersports tag, but this actually looks pretty fun.

And I want that shirt that Natsumi wears.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I really really really want money but I really really really really can't be bothered to get a job :/

There's always graduate school... :P

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

@ CCL

That's always the best moment – the moment you arrive at your destination and realize that you forgot something ^^b

Does anybody else have this happen in their dreams a lot?

Very often I'll have a dream where I'm travelling, but I left something important at home, so I make plans to return home and come back (usually in less time than would be possible IRL), but I never do manage to get back to my original destination. I wonder what this says about me, other than that I'm even forgetful in my sleep...

last edited at Aug 26, 2016 7:36PM

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

@ZuljinRaynor: Cool figure collection! At least you're passionate about something. I kinda miss my days of being a passionate collector of stuff.

@Galich: I think digital collections can have bragging rights, too. I have quite a lot of CDs/records, but some of my most treasured albums only ever existed as digital files, and they still take pride of place in my heart, even if they don't take any place on my shelf. :p