Forum › Posts by SillieHonka

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Money is on Shiori having confessed to Maho, Maho going nah its Nanami or Nothing for me, her going oh shit that's my ex... cue all that goss, and shiori was someone that Maho, had told her hey I'd date you but "my heart [won't be] in it."

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Nah, Koga san be like "go on you should spend time with your old friends, they're more important." to which oosawa, indignant, will blurt out, "But you're more important than just any friend!", cue Rare Koga Blush.

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

What cliché has she resorted to thus far? Something as fundamental to romance as the "will they/won't they", and "I'm scared of losing our relationship", aren't fairly described by cliché.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

"she gay kissing me stupid style in a manner that has me confronting my demons" -yvonne probably

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

I definitely like the whole, she only has super vague details of her past life +very large gaps in knowledge of the otome, and her whatever, conscious presence i guess has been folded into the role for the most part.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Idk why i never read this, thought it was a shameless one off of i favor the villainess (which i grew to dislike greatly before dropping), but good god did i need more doggirl lesbian content. What a fantastic build up to that confession!! really curious what our meddler is up to, my pet theory is the knife thing bought them all this time and as such was their doing. Actually seeing one of these S/M stories actually depict the kind of aftercare necessary is pretty neat. Everything (besides knife thing maybe, maybe meddler puppeted Evie) has con so that rules.

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

spoilers for 14-18 Like, per the Kaede angst, her being burnt on love before makes perfect sense considering we know much the same of Nanami like, out the gate. Her breakup was the first chapter, as well as the confirmation she had been in another (likely) unsuccessful relationship with a woman before. You could conject, "just get married like normal" as a response to that burn, possibly, that remains to be seen, but she's already have some foil to Kaede. And throughout, Kaede's aspirations as a mangaka have always been her priority so it's no surprise she would think herself romantically unavailable, despite relying so heavily on Nanami emotionally. Currently, that is still attached to the aspiration, whereas Nanami has been able to detach it and see it for what it is, love. When that dream is on the cusp of fruition, and Nanami's sorrow is a palpable hurricane at the prospect of moving out, we will see Kaede follow suit. I trust this one to pan out, I really don't think it's that grim.

and besides if you're able to let whispering you a love song's melodrama slide, this is not a big deal, and far less on the "melo-" end.

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Yeah actually the following 4 chapters are all operating off the same moving parts that have been ticking throughout save for Koga, who partially aligns with Nanami being attractive to lesbian/bi people and getting detected on gaydar megahard (by everyone but Kaede) already. I wont ever like this manga more than Hello Melancholic, bc that ones a masterpiece (also a later work), but Yayoi has something good here imo.

last edited at Jan 3, 2023 6:54PM

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

I read ahead and am not really seeing the problem? It seems like your usual messy lesbian drama (more accurate compared to usual yuri drama tropes), like just one quarter of it came outta left field sure... but nothing too unforgivable?? There might be a TL/context discrepancy in the later chapters but I was under the impression Nanami was bi as well, so while the Aoi stuff is messy, it isn't the sum total. God forbid someone be messy.

last edited at Jan 3, 2023 6:49PM

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

We need a barista tag...

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

:(

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

"Nice cock bro" but for lesbians.

i mean, that's not an excluded expression necessarily for really cool ppl

last edited at Jan 3, 2023 4:16AM

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

go go robot lesbians! ( i say this of course, AS a robot lesbian myself)

last edited at Jan 3, 2023 2:41AM

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017
Itsuki20140102-1606847242371223558-img1

This is excellent

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

i love gay space girlboss and her lesbian airhead husband

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Well no G-witch this upcoming sunday... at least this one will come through... right, right???

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

I dislike the "childhood friends, but one forgot and the other is mad about it to an irrational point" trope. I disliked it in Canno's manga, I dislike it here too. It feels petty and forced.

It took me way to long to remember which specific ship you're talking about, and I feel kinda ashamed for forgetting them, since they were like my 4th or 5th fav ship from AnoKiss. I probably should re-read the manga when I have the time.

re-reading anokiss is always a good idea.

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Like the person above me said a girl might be worried about losing her friend and she doesn't even bother to think if said friend is into girls without having asked. At some point I just can't even suspend my disbelief.

That's just like a general wishful thinking thing, but in that particular series there's an understood sense of mutual feeling, the uncertainty is with the degree, like almost always there's "is it the same kind of like?" that is in a lot of these. So while it's not overtly stated it is a cause for worry.

i'm not seeing much of this "gay is the default" in many stories outside of like ensemble type series? Which is fair because its under the yuri genre and that's the fantasy they want to sell... soooo..... ??? There's also the fact that like, queer people often form social groups in high school without them even realizing. Side couples tend to either play into this or else serve as foil to the main pairing. Most recent incarnations of "but we're both girls" have morphed into just more common/authentic queer awakening narratives instead of like, "Oh it's so taboo, it's so wrong!11!!11", the former of which I don't really take issue with.

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Wait, are we gonna have a High School Yuri story that doesn't have a "But we're two girls!" Moment?! Both characters seem aware of their own sexuality right out the gates, which is kinda nice.

that's been most modern/recent series? like how to get together with my childhood friend (friend she admits her crush to is like yay lets make it happen) or Our Yuri Started with Getting Rejected in a Dream (the freakout is mostly, it's my best friend and im worried i'll lose her). Hell even AnoKiss had none of that. Only one that kinda did it was Bloom into You, but that's like barely there.

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

haha what if we just platonically made out for an hour while the sun set haha wouldnt that be a fun activity between adult friends haha.

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Part of it may be a way of tempering any aspect of melodrama, maybe? Which never seems to be a problem in the favorites of mine i end up snagging to begin with, but is a common localizer thing.

One key change i found really interesting was the dialogue at the end of the date Hibiki "dragged" Minato around on, was changed to be "baiting" as in baiting your reaction, which is like more of an admission of romantic intent. I think the particular choice for the idea the OT expressed with that maybe wasn't the best as you have to go "wait a second, baiting what?" but some spoken admission of "I was trying to get a read on you" would have made it super solid.

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Volume 3 came with an Emma epilogue I don't think I've seen anywhere. I know a few people held the complaint that they wanted some kinda nod to Emma's relationship, and I will say it's a bit of a letdown. I will say there were way more points in favor of the official translation than the fan one here. Official made certain scenes be more romantically direct and more true to character. only a few quibbles were like, some reason OT would run a "like" in lieu of "love". It's a shame the Sakiko and Chika chapter didn't squeeze in. Makes the status of their relationship a little more fraught in the graduation plans scene without that context.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

yeah gonna be a pass, esp since its also got first sight love as an element?? I feel like the two other childhood friend ones we got going rn have at least more of an interesting wrinkle (rejected in dream / how to get together with my childhood friend) or else are paced in a way that's atypical of the trope. This just seems like a 5-8 volumes of a status quo, and intentionally so with the "haha ha vexing amirite ;)" snark which does nothing for me. Maybe theres kinda something interesting with having a lot of misplaced friction between childhood friends specifically, but like idk futari monologue kinda nailed that already.

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

gayyyyyyyy asldkjfbdsk;ndfj

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

i wish i had just 10% of the rizz shes got goddamn