Forum › Posts by Tiroskan

Tiroskan
What is rape? 20 Aug 07:19
joined Oct 12, 2013

Has anyone considered implementing a dubious consent tag? It's a seriously outdated label and in no way do I endorse the term b/c its basically the same as rape, but for those that get bothered by the use of a rape tag for non-traumatic scenarios it might be more implementable?

Yea dubious consent is a tag used as warning for a couple fanfiction websites and is more serious than "kinda rapey." It is supposed to be a warning afterall.

It really depends on the author, it can run the gamut from "never explicitly said yes, but expressed consent in every other possible manner" to "never explicitly said no, but didn't really want it, til they came".

Tiroskan
Kase-san discussion 20 Aug 01:05
joined Oct 12, 2013

I honestly hope, pray, and would pay for

Yamada spinoff.

This manga is cute but Kase feels too much like 'atheltic boy with boobs'--or that might just be my cynicism of generic hetero romance in manga.

Either way, I'll stomach it for the adorable art.

When you don't read generic hetero romance manga everything old is new again.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Speaking of Valkyrie Drive, that blondie reminded me of Mirei, just with a polar opposite personality, of course.

Yes! The blonde in this totally reminds me of how Mira draws Mirei. Could not figure out who she reminded me of and it bothered me the whole way through.

joined Oct 12, 2013

likely-straight best friend

I thought in this case the manga artist was the likely-straight one?

Tiroskan
Kase-san discussion 18 Aug 08:03
joined Oct 12, 2013

All those new chapters... Thanks for the scanlation!

Nidienne posted:

I want to believe the high school in this story is actually the same one as in Kindred Spirits I will not be dissuaded

it has a track team, it has a gardening/beautification club, it has gay girls

Hell, it even has walls and a roof!

There are only two high schools in Japan. One mixed and one all girls.

What about all boys for the yaoi?

Tiroskan
joined Oct 12, 2013

I think unlike Humbert Humbert? or whatever his name was, she's not okay with it. I also think yuzumori-san will start thinking of her as increasingly weird. She might even start avoiding Yuzumori-san. It may turn out like Kodomo no Jikan - where she waits patiently for her to turn - I suspect 16 - and then pounces.

The teaser chapters seem to be set reasonably in the future from where we are not though and they still seem quite close. Of course, a lot can change from the first few chapters of a manga.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Like 4 volumes so far?

joined Oct 12, 2013

Nice to see people are paranoid already.

Safest way to be. Tiring, tho.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Japanese is one of those languages that make sense when you know what it means, but if you try to explain it, it sounds really damn weird, lol. I did my best. >_<

Ah the joys of a language structured to be low-context.

Japanese: Because we've been doing centuries of subtext

What's it like reading novels in Japanese without the handy pictures for context?

joined Oct 12, 2013

I know Malibu's American too so, so far, we've got three Canadians, four Americans, one Irish, Ropp and her non English-speaking country.

Nice to confirm there's English speakers other than American and British ppl.
I hope no one's too shocked.

They are truly fortunate to have Canadians in their midst.

H-hey!

joined Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Oh wow, I missed that completely, sorry! Now I feel like a dope.

Nah, it was all me. I fudged the setup.

For the record, I'm at least somewhat aware of intra-UK politics and know that it's not ok to mix up a UK citizen's specific nationality unless they're Welsh.

Just so you know, we're not in the UK either, unless you're Northern Irish. Saying you're Irish is usually a shorthand for being from the Republic/south.

We are a complicated little country

last edited at Aug 11, 2016 11:03PM

joined Oct 12, 2013

Irish. and I will be peeved if you call me British.

Surely.

It's a thing that happens from a place of ignorance rather than malice, but it peeves me none the less.

Tried to make a joke, but I screwed it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Oh wow, I missed that completely, sorry! Now I feel like a dope.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Surely.

It's a thing that happens from a place of ignorance rather than malice, but it peeves me none the less.

joined Oct 12, 2013

joined Oct 12, 2013

I don't know about wrong or unnatural, but both suggestions seem much more formal than something a teenage girl would say, even a fairly mature one.

And Hina's not even mature, she just looks older than she is.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Sorry to add fuel to the fire but I was one of the people who also got confused by that phrasing. It's not inherently wrong nor bad English but it certainly can induce confusion. I think it has more to do with your expectation of the story (as in, whether you saw it coming and therefore understood it better) rather than fluency of the language.

Perhaps it could be replaced by something like "Even though I have yet to work for half a year" or even "Even though I've only worked here for less than half a year."

Both of those sound really awkward and unnatural to me though. The best alternative I can think of to clear up any apparent ambiguity would be "Even though I've worked here for less than half a year" and I'd still be more inclined to the original translation personally. Not that I know what the original line in moon is.

Has the line confused any native English speakers?

joined Oct 12, 2013

Chill, dude. Could it be phrased differently? Certainly, but as a native speaker what was used is definitely what sounds most natural to me. There can be a disconnect between what makes sense easily when you say it out loud with tone and emphasis though and how something reads on a page.

joined Oct 12, 2013

I just imported a 64gb card and went ddl only for my Vita. PSN is always having sales, so you can build up a collection for peanuts, but the initial hump of investing in a card does understandably put people off. Sony really shot themselves in the foot with the proprietary memory thing. I do want to buy Valkyrie Drive though, it’ll probably be the only physical game I own.

joined Oct 12, 2013

@takachi
She means since she started working there, i.e. since chapter one.

I don't get it T__T Hina says, "I haven't even been working here for half a year." Or did she want to say that she didn't feel as if she was working over the last half a year because it was too much fun with Hana?

What's there to get? She just feels bad that she's quitting without having worked there for a long enough amount of time (6 months)
It means that in total, the amount of time she worked there is less than 6 months.
Obviously she's been working there for more than "half a month" man, lmao
The story started roughly around March I'd say, Hina haven't entered HS yet and the weather still being cold enough for Hana to wear the tanuki cosplay and feel at ease/warm.
Now they're thinking about their upcoming summer break, so probs around July, so I'm guessing that ever since Hina started working, approximately 3-4 months.
She does say less than half a year, not that 6 months have passed, that'd be way after summer break at that point

I see. Could be my Engrish, but I'd sure prefer it phrased as "I've started working here less than even half a year" as opposed to "I haven't even been working here for half a year". The latter makes me read it as "In the last six months I have been skipping work" or something like that. So together with a sudden scene and Hina's clothes change, I was totally WTFed: did Hina make a 6-month break from work after the summer break and then decided to quit completely, and it's a sudden time skip presented to the readers? It didn't make sense to me at all, but I was totally oblivious to the other way of reading the same phrase. Or may be I read too many mangas with time skips.

I think it's just your Engrish, it made perfect sense to me.

joined Oct 12, 2013

I actually think this is like a much more tightly written Girlfriends. I reread it recently and there’s a lot of exposition dumping. She’s learned to have a more subtle touch and show instead of tell. But yeah, hopefully we can skip the obligatory boyfriend arc this time around. Honestly, I think this might be my favourite of her manga.

Tiroskan
Hanagui discussion 09 Aug 06:57
joined Oct 12, 2013

If that was supposed to be a joke, don't quit your day job.

No, it's not. You need to understand the difference between a joke and a hyperbole comment.

It’s difficult to tell what’s hyperbolic when posters regularly come out with similar fare utterly seriously.

Tiroskan
Hanagui discussion 07 Aug 21:00
joined Oct 12, 2013

Radzeer posted:

Feeling guilty that you didn't gave Kuro-chan the romance she deserved, huh Kaworu-sensei?

She should Kuro-chan was kinda annoying but she still deserved a better ending than that. Everyone else got one.

Kuro bringing her girlfriend to visit sensei and her baby would have simultaneously been heartwarming and probably hilarious as fuck.

Tiroskan
Hanagui discussion 06 Aug 19:44
joined Oct 12, 2013

Well, this a last prove that KnK author take yuri seriously
Kuroki from Joou no Ecchi should stay yuri too

I didn't look at that past first two chapters, but I don't remember any yuri at all there. All I saw were two het pairs with chara designs recycled from KnJ, so my interest waned.

theres more, you can find em on other websites, she flat out says she is homosexual. She is in love/attracted to the blondie girl. So far, in Joou-Sama no Eshi has been doing the yuri-bit fine, its not just a gag of a pervert lesbian, but it being part of her character. And actually gets a few nice chapters focused on her. Although I am not really expecting the yuri to actually happen in it.

I wish to see more (well treated) yuri come out of this artist tho, I REALLY like her art style.

I was thinking it might go poly end at one point with all 3 students, but I'm willing to admit I don't know what to expect anymore.

Tiroskan
joined Oct 12, 2013

It's played pretty straight, but the emotions are genuine, if incredibly unsettling sometimes.

Tiroskan
Hanagui discussion 06 Aug 11:57
joined Oct 12, 2013

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hanagui#16

That might just be the most realistic pair of zongers I've seen in a manga.

All in all a very cute one! I like it!

Watashiya Kaworu is really good at realistic women, from body types to how she handled puberty in KnJ, though her grasp of homosexuality has always seemed a little shaky. This was cute af though.