Forum › Posts by Ehhhhhhh

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

54 pages in the forum...

I know this is just me being negative but I'm kinda scared of how good and popular the reaction was with this manga, with just a few chapters with few pages and we're almost 10 pages in the forum.

It was bad when it was 10 pages, now we're at 54.
ngl I feel you, it's kind of irksome that so many amazing series only get a limited number of reactions while this with a few 4-page chapters of silliness boils such fervor. In ex. Lilies, Voice, Wear Wind at four whole volumes doesn't have even half the number.

What a weird thing to get upset about, people liking a thing, they don't like to discuss your thing. Just because you think something else is a masterpiece, doesn't mean everyone else does.
Aaaanyway, here's my two cents. There have been a lot of people posing "reasons" for this, and I feel most (or all?) of them are spot on.
Here's another one:
Read the comments. The comments are about so many different things. Some polarising things. A lot, actually.
People are having arguments about whether Mitsuki is "deceiving" Aya or not (very heated), the author said some stuff about yuri/not yuri, and that ... discussion ... has gone on way too long. And look, you're even inciting controversy (also, real discussion) about whether this manga is deserving of the pages of comments it has. Add to that nostalgia and comments about musical taste in general (good and bad ones), and you've got ridiculous amounts of discussion going on in just this one manga's comments.

Generally, there's no real rhyme or reason as to where accidental arguments start, as it depends on the readers. It being so short, with weekly updates, and a unique art style has brought in a lot of onlookers, and a lot of us seem to have some really strong opinions, so it seems like exactly the place so many discussions would start.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Why is the author always so darn cute. She gets in the last word, and it always just makes me completely forget what revelation I just had about the end of the chapter.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Oh, she got herself a wing ... man...
I'll see myself out.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Am I the only one who thinks a school trip is actually not the ideal place for relationship announcements?
Just go out to karaoke, people.

Ehhhhhhh
Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I kinda really really like the way the yamanoke scene is depicted in the novel, so maybe not my favourite chapter in the adaptation, but I have to admit that it was actually done quite well. It felt a bit weaker perhaps, because there were—inevitably—panels from an outside perspective, which ruined the effect somewhat.

I was thinking removing the possession seemed a lot more dramatic in the novel.
Everyone had been saying they though that Yamanoke was one of the weakest stories, but I really loved it because it was the first time Toriko really had to go all-out to save Sorawo. The manga made it as uneventful as the commenters had been saying though, haha.

last edited at Jul 25, 2022 4:27AM

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Well, that was certainly weird. Definitely not what I was expecting after the first chapter.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Warning: Manga character manifesting non-optimal behavior; do not attempt at home.

Bahaha, so much this. Do we need warnings that everything we read is fiction and only a bare-bones representation of reality, not actual messy reality in all of its complexity?
I thought just by engaging in a story in the first place, we'd already agreed to this "it's not real, take everything with a grain of salt" contract.

Don't get me wrong, it's good - great, even - to discuss morality as it relates to real life - we should absolutely talk about how fiction isn't an excuse for acting a certain way.
But we should also be clear that a story isn't going to show the nuance of everything, it's just going to show what it's telling the story about. Is this story about an abusive relationship? No. We can talk and be thoughtful about these things, though, without hating on the story.

If it was hardcore on questionable things and pretending that they aren't wrong, then I'd understand the outrage, but being so angry about things that are just basically hyperbole is something I just don't get.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Lol. I hadn't realised there was so much drama about this manga. But I suppose consent is always a hot topic if it looks like the story is condoning a certain action.

This recent chapter did kind of settle the matter of what to call it - trying to pressure your GF into sex when she doesn't seem to want it at all. It kind of walks the line of "consent", and as long as it ends before it goes too far, and there's an apology rather than resentment that they didn't give in, I think it's just a depiction of navigating relationships (albeit in an unacceptable way that you learn from).

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I dont know how Riri lives with herself. She is conservative yet she sells pics online. She doesnt kiss before marriage but fondling legs in sleep is fine? What is she planning to do in the future? Introduce Mei as her boyfriend to her conservative parents? Most illogical.

To be fair, she didn't mean to do the leg-fondling, she just couldn't control herself. I did like that detail.
But everything else, yeah.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Ahh, I'm disappointed that this chapter didn't end with registration.

I mean, I'm good with the non-plot sexytimes, but when you introduce a plot that absolutely will not move forward until the registration is done, it is as frustrating as being teased for four days.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Its cute how people here are still applying real life logic in these fictional stories. Haven't read a single spoiler but judging from how people are reacting it'll be a fun read. I will continue to enjoy reading this

It's cute how people come into the comments section and tell them how to enjoy a story.

Personally, I'm a fan of a bit of non-con in a story. That doesn't mean I have to come into the comment section and be like "no one should object to this content because it is not RL."
I like to both enjoy a story, and ponder the reality and real-world implications of consent.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

ive seen a lotta comments about this so i guess applying real life logic to this stuff really doesnt work huh. this is a cute manga about fictional characters who are supposed to be appealing and cute. of course it wouldnt be romantic or appealing to basically force a girl who identifies as het to pretend to be your girlfriend by using money or have any part of this scenario happen at all in real life. even just mari having her opinions on gay people would be harmful in real life but thats the point. this is not real life. you're supposed to just enjoy the story and the characters without questioning their morality every two pages. if every fictional media was made to be completely align with real life logic or morals it would be just boring so its best to separate irl and fiction and simply enjoy fiction... thats just my two cents though

If you don't want to discuss these things, you could just ... not, you know.
Some people like discussing the morality and the believe-ability of fictional situations. You don't, okay, but you don't have to join in, but you can just let people discuss the things they want to discuss.
Discussions of the real-world implications means we're engaging with the story, while you're ... saying that the way other people might engage with a text is wrong?

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

What weirds me out about the logic of this manga is that in order to be turned on by some ... semi-consensual stroking, you must absolutely be "in love."

I mean, there would be a lot of people who were in love with ourselves if that was the case.
Also, prostitutes.
Sometimes sensations are just external.

(I should note that I don't mean she can't fall in love, because that's what this manga is about, I just mean that feeling turned on (or even attacted tbh) doesn't necessarily mean love)

Ehhhhhhh I don't quite follow that argumentation. I mean, yeah, the manga does hint at a connection there, but I don't really see it as love being proposed as a "requirement" to be turned on. I think it's more about "being potentially gay/bi" being the requirement to be turned on rather than being in love with the individual in question.

You don't follow Aya literally asking her if she's fallen in love her just because she's turned on?
Also, you've sidestepped the point: being that liking the feeling of someone touching you doesn't make you gay. You can close your eyes and pretend it's anyone. You have to actually like that person of the same sex to be gay.

What I'm getting at, is that it's only the feelings she has outside of this kinky sex stuff that should mean anything at all. The way to lie and win the bet is to just tell her straight up: I like what you're doing to me, but that doesn't mean I love you.

last edited at Jul 11, 2022 5:33PM

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

What weirds me out about the logic of this manga is that in order to be turned on by some ... semi-consensual stroking, you must absolutely be "in love."

I mean, there would be a lot of people who were in love with ourselves if that was the case.
Also, prostitutes.
Sometimes sensations are just external.

(I should note that I don't mean she can't fall in love, because that's what this manga is about, I just mean that feeling turned on (or even attacted tbh) doesn't necessarily mean love)

Ehhhhhhh
Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

What I'm more upset about though is where's my NSFW damn it?

the god damn kiss was disgusting wtf was with that saliva??? ewwww

Bahahaha, does that mean you didn't read the original?
I'm pretty sure that was the most saliva of any manga I've read.

Ehhhhhhh
Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

It would have been nice to see a new panel of Nozomi and Konomi to show how that relationship had evolved instead of just the one from the previous chapter, oh well.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Um ... threatening someone with a weapon and then leaving with a threat ... that's kind of when you call the police...

On a side note, looking at 110, I momentarily forgot my own emergency number - so many countries numbers to remember.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I knew their plan to bully her was going to backfire, but that was actually unexpected, haha. Hiyama certainly has a weird way of looking at the world.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

There's also Reverse Harems (girl has guys that revolve around her, not sure if there's a better name),

Urgh, the name "reverse harem" makes me shudder and feel gross. Because a woman is not the "reverse" of a man, and anyway, the literal name implies it's the reverse of a harem which is ... monogamy? No relationships?

Not your fault there's no better name, I just resent whoever came up with it in the first place.
I try to call them female-led harem. To avoid the icky feeling.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I don’t understand the mentality of someone who reads a harem series and doesn’t want it to end with a polycule.
Do they just enjoy watching half the characters get their hearts broken or something? I’m genuinely curious what they get out of it.
(Obviously not everything has to be polyam, but it’s really underrepresented in media, so I’d like to see more of it and harem series are pretty much halfway there already so,)

When you watch a sport tournament then you know that everyone but the winner is gonna be sad about it

But that's not why you watch it

This kinda highlights a key difference between a polyam mindset and a mono one. The idea that love is competitive, exclusive and finite. In our case everyone can be a winner, there are no losers and instead of divisive, love is multiplicative and only grows when shared among more people.

That's the ideal of course and relationships are never that easy/clear cut but on a fundamental level that's how it feels

What a weird sort of accidental insult.
There's no "right" way to do love. It's not so much about it being a competition (the sports analogy is only an analogy, after all, it's not a one-to-one comparison between a romance and a sports comp) as it is about not having to share.
Weirdly enough, time is finite. And time is one of the most important elements to having a relationship. If you're cool with less time with a loved one, fair enough, but it doesn't have to be a "mindset" for it not to work for most people.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Aw, so she doesn't have girl-attracting superpowers?
I love the idea that she just goes around accidentally flirting with everyone though - good job.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

35/25? Soft
And I've never slept with an air conditioner on.
Although I suppose we do have ceiling fans instead. I don't see that they do.

last edited at Jul 3, 2022 10:25AM

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

That is some boomer taste in music she has.

Uhh ... not sure if that was just a joke, or you don't know what a boomer is.
This is all very definitively not boomer music...

Ehhhhhhh
Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Her surprise makes me think she forgot what kind of demon Shamiko is.
This is how you use your powers to their fullest, girl.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I agree with most of what’s in last few posts… really to me so far the mentions are all stuff that is in the 25-30 years ago era.. it’s radio rock.. my mind would almost but not be blown if stuff like Boris, melt banana, the boredoms or even guitar wolf showed up.. but.. I doubt it..,

You're making me feel old. Was I 5 when some of these songs came out?
Song 2 was exactly 25 years, so yes, I am old.