Forum › News On Double Suicides discussion

joined Nov 9, 2014

Is the author ok

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Is the author ok

They're probably fine. Double suicide is a pretty old Japanese storytelling trope, though this one was a bit harder to buy into for me. It was a really fun story, but double suicides tend to be responses to extreme oppression of some sort (in stories or old accounts) or I would assume as a consequence of untreated depression in real life. The intentional use of staging and lighting in the manga makes it seem more like the author is actively exploring storytelling rather than relating their own experience with depression, and that coupled with what in my experience is an unrealistic depiction of suicide makes me think they're doing just fine and dandy

last edited at Sep 20, 2021 10:35PM

Img_20230706_053347_360
joined May 21, 2020

this was uhh incredibly stupid lmao

Download_20181110_194445-1-1
joined Feb 12, 2016

I feel like I get it. Maybe

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-1
joined Feb 5, 2021

This feels kinda dark. I got slightly scared with one of the pages (?)

Wsewamzlrlff%20(2)
joined Jul 2, 2018

yubi yubi!

Image_2022-10-30_015926894
joined Jun 3, 2021

this was uhh incredibly stupid lmao

i don’t think you really get it lol

F5514d05-de98-4bab-85d5-a731d2488c74
joined Sep 21, 2021

you know who ELSE just heard the news on double suicides?

joined Apr 7, 2016

This was clearly a storytelling experiment, which I'm all for in a creative sense. I don't know if the double suicide metaphor really worked here, though. I had to read it a few times to get what was going on, and when I took the double suicide out of the picture, it gave me a clearer understanding.

Basically, to me, this seems like a "Character A feels unworthy of Character B's love, even though there is mutual attraction" situation. The author even says that Misaki's feelings towards Kokoro are an "incomprehensible existence." Misaki, at first, is confused about her feelings but is actually in denial about the fact that she's in love. When she finally realizes her feelings, she feels inadequate. Kokoro takes the initiative by writing a love song dedicated to Misaki. Misaki rebuffs it (probably as a defense mechanism), but Kokoro counters it by literally writing it down. Misaki reads what Kokoro wrote, and, touched and inspired, she reciprocates but tells Kokoro she doesn't feel worthy of her. Still, Kokoro insists that she genuinely loves her, and Misaki feels willing to try. The double suicide metaphor at the end then becomes a "Characters A and B both are in love and have found something they're both willing to nurture and work on together, which is their relationship."

That's what I got from it, anyway.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

From the way the panels framed Kokoro and some of her dialogue, it made me think there was going to be some late plot twist that Kokoro was behind the double suicides being reported on the news all along.

Brave_nehsafphnw
joined Dec 27, 2013

A bit of a clumsy take on the kokoro-misaki dynamic, but well intentioned I guess. Double suicides give an impression of desperation, of wanting to escape the life one lives in so both can be together.. perhaps forever. Using that in the title made me expect some sort 'rage into the night' type, but to be given the "living a listless life, then falling in love, and finally finding something worth dying for" puts an unexpected perspective on it. I'll admit it was pretty out of place when Misaki asked Kokoro to commit a double suicide, because well, things are going well between the two of them and they just came from a successful performance, where'd that come from. Felt like just a set up for next lines: "Just a little longer.. until when?" "Until death!" Admittedly though, it left a warm feeling. To commit suicide is to succumb to the pain of life, and to wait together before doing it... until death... means you want to hold on and continue to weather life with them to the bitter end. Or something like that. Might just be overthinking this HAHAHAHA

last edited at Sep 24, 2021 9:24AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.