Forum › Non-VN Subtext/Yuri/CGDCT games

Blyat
joined Sep 12, 2012

I've been looking for games in the vein of Atelier or Senran Kagura and the likes. Bonus points if they're good as games as well but I can tolerate above average games too. JP is fine, for the most part. The protag should just be a girl as a bare minimum, but other than that I'm open to all sorts of suggestions.

From the famous ones I've played: Atelier Meruru and Rorona, Nep games,Senran Kagura, Nights of Azure 1,Labyrinth of Refrain(very warmly recommending that one) and a bunch of other not so mainstream titles I can't really remember right now.

Available platforms: All but Switch(damn, wanted to play the new FE so bad) and PS4.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Recover the Restarts

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Aw, I wanted to suggest Neptunia, but you already played them.
Hmm... You don't have a PS4 either? That rules out the Gravity Rush games (if that subtext would even be enough).
The fact that it has to be anime style games is also limiting it a lot.

If you have a PSP or a Vita, I might be able to recommend Fate/Extra. It's an easy entry in the franchise that doesn't require any prior knowledge and has outright yuri (because you can choose a female protagonist and the two female Servants are always romantically interested regardless of gender). I think there are even emulators that run it.
It is rather text heavy like a VN, but has regular turn based RPG gameplay (although with a certain twist).

last edited at Sep 10, 2019 1:07PM

Blyat
joined Sep 12, 2012

Doesn’t really have to be anime style. Also yeah I’ve played Fate/Extra already. Good game indeed.

E: Will check out recover the restarts

last edited at Sep 10, 2019 4:27PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Doesn’t really have to be anime style.

Well in that case there are a bunch of Bioware games that allow lesbian romance options. A bunch of Western RPGs these days are more varied in that regard. Although they are probably so mainstream you already played them.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Stay away from ME Andromeda tho

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

A very overhated game. These days (after all the darn patches) it is quite playable and doesn't terrify you with the bad facial animations anymore. I honestly don't think it's any worse than the others, barring the fact that it has a few unresolved plot points that will now never get resolved.

The romance I chose was also pretty cute. Female Turians are weirdly interesting.

Blyat
joined Sep 12, 2012

Okay RtR seems like exactly my kind of thing(thanks GendoIkari) so I'll go with that for the time being, keep the recommendations/discussion coming though. And yeah I've been meaning to give ME:A a try but I'll play the latest Assassin's creed first, whenever I decide to get to that.

joined Jul 26, 2016

A very overhated game. These days (after all the darn patches) it is quite playable and doesn't terrify you with the bad facial animations anymore. I honestly don't think it's any worse than the others, barring the fact that it has a few unresolved plot points that will now never get resolved.

The romance I chose was also pretty cute. Female Turians are weirdly interesting.

Hence the strikethrough, I played through it a while ago and didn't particularly hate it or anything. It was just... pretty much the epitome of So Okay It's Average. Eg. main plot was fine enough space-opera but an awful lot of the side stuff was ball-punchingly stupid (such as the Exiles already on a conceptual level, which is a problem given how prominent they're in the story), gameplay was pretty good and had some novel ideas but tripped on bizarre issues in places (such as the blatantly console-control mandated cap on active abilities selected scuppering any numberof interesting build potentials), the crafting system felt frankly superfluous and most of the gear was basically not worth the effort anyway, and so on and so on.

(I went for Vetra too btw, already because the alternatives were either boring old humans or choice of max two flavors of cliché Purple Skinned Space Babe/Hunk. Plus she's pretty cool.)

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

And yeah I've been meaning to give ME:A a try but I'll play the latest Assassin's creed first, whenever I decide to get to that.

Odyssey is the first AssCreed I played since Revelations and it was actually really good. Just don't think the romance options will matter too much or have any lasting effects. They are just kinda there and you don't come back to them.
Still, Kassandra is badass and her voice actress does a lot better than Alexios'.

gameplay was pretty good and had some novel ideas but tripped on bizarre issues in places (such as the blatantly console-control mandated cap on active abilities selected scuppering any number of interesting build potentials)

As I did play it on PS4 that "limitation" had no meaning to me. The jet-boost traversal is honestly the most fun thing about the game and makes the ME trilogy feel sluggish in comparison.

(I went for Vetra too btw, already because the alternatives were either boring old humans or choice of max two flavors of cliché Purple Skinned Space Babe/Hunk. Plus she's pretty cool.)

Vetra is great and she comes in a set with her sister. It's honestly pretty cool to get a fun sister as a new family member (cuz your actual brother decides to be a vegetable for 99% of the plot). I love how Sid actually ships Ryder and Vetra super hard lol

I find the bias against human partners a bit unfair. If they were actually well written it shouldn't matter.
But for some reason human crew members are always pretty bland on their own and are only interesting in team banter. The doctor was cool at least, but I don't think she is romancable.

last edited at Sep 10, 2019 5:25PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Well it's more that humans an sich are somewhat wasting the potential of a multispecies setting, and the bulk of the nonhuman options in general being practically the same only with pointy ears (cough FRPG elves cough) or Rubber Foreheads (most sci-fi aliens, including the Asari and Angara in this context) at most doesn't really help. The ME series gets brownie points in that regard simply for having romance options that aren't just conventionally attractive humans with some props glued on in form of the Turian companions (Garrus in the original trilogy when he isn't busy calibrating, Vetra in Andromeda).

Also Sid gleefully shipping her Cool Big Sis and Ryder was indeed 10/10. :D

Anyways as far as the more recent BioWare stuff goes for the purposes of this thread there's always DA Inquisition. Certainly has its own problems but at least it didn't get Executive Meddled into a fiasco that effectively killed its parent franchise...

last edited at Sep 10, 2019 5:57PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Well it's more that humans an sich are somewhat wasting the potential of a multispecies setting, and the bulk of the nonhuman options in general being practically the same only with pointy ears (cough FRPG elves cough) or Rubber Foreheads (most sci-fi aliens, including the Asari and Angara in this context) at most doesn't really help. The ME series gets brownie points in that regard simply for having romance options that aren't just conventionally attractive humans with some props glued on in form of the Turian companions (Garrus in the original trilogy when he isn't busy calibrating, Vetra in Andromeda).

Also Sid gleefully shipping her Cool Big Sis and Ryder was indeed 10/10. :D

Anyways as far as the more recent BioWare stuff goes for the purposes of this thread there's always DA Inquisition. Certainly has its own problems but at least it didn't get Executive Meddled into a fiasco that effectively killed its parent franchise...

Gratuitous German, huh? Everytime I start to forget your tendency to overcompensate... Oh well.

Mass Effect has quite a few unique aliens, but to want the romance options to be something drastically different from humans is just plain unrealistic, both in and outside of the game. Platonic love is of course possible regardless of biological make-up, but no normal person would actually want to date an Elcor. Asari being the excpetion, because they can mind meld with anything. Very helpful.

Yeah I recommended Bioware games in general for a reason. Inquisition is funny, in that a female elf has the most possible romance options (Because Solas is really, really picky). Not sure whether making everyone bi like in DA2 was better, but I think Inquisition handles it a bit more narratively sound. Even if it's a shame that Kassandra cannot be romanced if you're female. She just wants her romantic knight in shining armor shrugs

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

Blue Reflection, it's available on PS4 and Steam. It's more or less a turn based JRPG where you play as a girl who used to be a ballerina who borks up her knee (or ankle, it's been a couple years since I played it) and gets turned into a magical girl who goes around fixing the problems of other girls at her school. One of the girls is pretty gay for her (out of, I dunno, 10 of them or so). It's not the greatest game, but I personally found it charming and it has a really good soundtrack. Also when it rains in game, you see the girls' bras through their shirts, cause boobs.

That said, it does feel kind of visual novelish. In reading what I wrote, I made it seem more... erm, exciting? than what it is. It has a very low key feel to it. The boss fights are kinda cool, though, has some kaiju stuff going on there.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Does honkai impact count as a VN.
It's total mobile trash but gay as fuck.

To reply you must either login or sign up.