Forum › Is the translation correct?

joined Oct 30, 2018

I mean why there is some translation here that have a curse word like (b**ch, f#*k) did the scanlator put it on purpose? Cause i cant find in kanji and hiragana that matches this cause japanese lack these sure there are some like *Baka *Aho

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Many translators, including myself, like to translate the tone of something, even if it technically isn't 100% accurate. For example, "んだとこらっ?" means "what did you say?" in a rude, brusque mannrr. Though it doesn't technically contain any curse words, I'd translate it as "what the hell/fuck did you say?!", to most closely match the tone of the original, even though the words themselves didn't say that.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

All meaning is contextual. There are ways to be very rude, or rough, or crass in Japanese that don't exist in English, and vice versa. It's the translator's job to try and convey the same meaning in a different language. Sometimes that includes adding in profanity, or changing the type of profanity (for example, I often translate クソ as "fuck" since it's used almost identically, never mind the fact that the dictionary definition is "shit").

On a related note, ビッチ (bitch) is a pretty common word in Japanese, but it doesn't mean the same thing as it does in English. Traditionally, "bitch" referred to a woman who is wanton or loose (think "bitch in heat") but over the last century it came to refer to a woman who is cold-hearted or cruel (especially in American English, I think). The Japanese term still carries the old meaning. So it's almost never appropriate to translate "bitcchi" to "bitch".

last edited at Jan 8, 2019 2:10AM

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@schuyguy
Makes me think of the pun on that one girl's name in Ayame 14.

To reply you must either login or sign up.