Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

As I've experienced it, there are three ways to get all the necessary components to make a VN.

1) Possess all the requisite skills yourself. At the bare minimum, you'll need to know how to write, draw, and program. You don't need to know how to compose, being that there's a ton of freeware music on the internet, but it's a plus. Definitely the hardest route to take, but also by far the cheapest.

2) Know people willing to do work for free. This one is going to require you to have some good friends with a genuine investment in your idea; you're very unlikely to find random, skilled people willing to do work for free. Myself, for example, I have a friend working on my game with me who is both my co-writer and the game's main programmer. She's totally down to work on the game for free since it's a shared idea between the two of us, but we've commissioned all other aspects from various sources.

3) Commission the pieces of your game (artwork, UI design, music, programming) from outside sources. Costly, definitely, but if you have confidence in the people you hire, this is the most straight-forward path to making a quality product. People are infinitely less likely to disappear at random or phone in poorly-made work if there's money on the line.

Of course, there's other factors to consider; whether your game will be free or paid for, whether or not you use a crowd-funding service, additional features for the game such as voice acting, so on and so forth. I can't offer much advice in that regard at the current moment, but it's something to keep in mind.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

That's actually a lot more complicated than I thought it would be... I mean I appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that, but seriously there's no way I'll be able to make a VN knowing all that.

I guess I'll just make interactive fiction instead, even though the likelihood of anyone playing (or reading it technically) is very low but at least I'll have done something with my ideas. I'd feel better knowing I've done something rather than just keep my ideas locked up in my imagination.

Don't give up, love. As Felloffalot pointed out, crowdfunding is always a possibility, maybe your idea will catch people's attentions. As for writing interactive fiction, you could try having these guys publish your story.

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

NEVER GIVE UP!!

(Seriously, though, just doing something with the ideas floating around in your head is a lot more than a lot of people can claim. Don't sweat the stuff like how many people are gonna read it or whatever; as long as you don't shoot for the moon, you'll be the surprised by the attention you get.

Or you can just do what I do and write fanfiction for validation.)

joined Aug 16, 2014

Don't you need like, something to show for yourself when you do crowdfunding? At least I'm assuming that's how it works, I can't imagine anyone would throw money at something if it's just an idea. Since, y'know, all I've got right now is an idea.

Yes, you'd most likely need to show something up. Possibly character's profiles, informations on your setting, your plot. The funding would be meant for the assets of your VN (and maybe a programmer if you can't do it and don't intend to learn it yourself). You should start worrying about what you can do immediatly: writing (Which will also probably be the most difficult part in the first place). After you have more things to show, then you can look for ways to make your VN happen, be it crowdfunding, finding volunteers or however else.

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014
Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

^ thank you! :) I’ve read all of the translated chapters - it’s a cute story ^^ I like the friend of the mc the most, her and her devotion to the club xd

Also, my exam didn’t go quite well, just as expected.. xD”

last edited at Jan 17, 2018 5:40PM

Tumblr_lolhmrwbnl1qiyxpbo4_250
joined Jun 22, 2016

@ Blackkitty

I'm really sorry to hear that...
Was it an important exam?
And also sorry about yesterday! I was too tired and went to bed without noticing your message... I sooo suck at being around lately...

joined Jun 22, 2016

HI! ^^ Is there anyone from Brazil around... by chance...?
Kyonne, maybe...?

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

@Anon
Hey! Don’t be sorry for anything! For one, I believe you do your best to be present as much as possible and I appreciate it!^^
Actually, how did you sleep after your small accident?

As for the exams.. well, I wonder how much important they are in reality... but I did what I could. Plus being..hmm.. older xD helps me to look at exams form another angle..
and thank you for the music!

^ My vague memories tell me that last year you asked if someone here is from Brazil...but I forget about anniversaries sometimes..so xD

last edited at Jan 18, 2018 7:59AM

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

I wrote one KSotR fanfic back in the day and then immediately lost my motivation to do any more. Maybe I should go back and finish that Ano/Yuna and Ano/Nena fic I was working on...

joined Jun 17, 2014

ive recently decided to write this other story thats been on my mind and im writing the first chapter now, so far its easy usually its harder for me when im writing something new .im trying to see if i can write a yuri,supernatural story that involves Guerrila warfare. Yeah i like action in my yuri and i like yuri in my action. so i need to spend time researching even if its just a bit and maybe watch a few movies. The mc is going to suffer of course lol. ive decided to take a break from the previous story i was writing which ive about written 32 chapters. listening to bittersweet/ hatching mayflies by the Hiatus that song really got me going, it really got me in the mood.

joined Jun 17, 2014

Action and yuri, huh? There isn't a whole lot of that kind of thing, is there? At least as far as manga goes, I have no idea what the selection is like with novels. Regarding manga though, the only two series that come to my mind when thinking of action and yuri are Murcielago and Akuma no Riddle.

I once tried to write my own original story and it didn't go too well. I think maybe going with Generic Fantasy™ for my first story wasn't the best idea though, it requires a lot more thought and attention to detail than I have. That's kinda why I write fanfiction instead, everything I need to know is already there.

i was overwhelmed at first but the more that i lived inside my head and wrote it down on paper it became more clearer (well the first one i wrote took me a long as time to even write the idea was there but i wasnt able to write anything until starting last year 2017 people were right you gotta make yourself write something). Yeah had planned on doing a fan fiction of Rozen maiden and K. i had some good ideas but i felt that it would be a waste of my time and just do originals instead. hope that fan fiction of yours is going well. also im turning this into a manga. im probably writing some useless information and shit but i got to get somewhere.

joined Jun 22, 2016

@ Blackkitty

Hey! Don’t be sorry for anything! For one, I believe you do your best to be present as much as possible and I appreciate it!^^

How come you're always so kind, when you should call me names and look down on me instead? (╯•ω•╰)

Actually, how did you sleep after your small accident?

I slept quite good, thanks. I wasn't really hurt so it didn't affect my sleep at all. 3 small bruises are the only reminders, so all's good! ^^

As for the exams.. well, I wonder how important they are in reality... but I did what I could.

What was the issue? The subject itself or the language barrier?
I bet studying in a foreign language is pretty tough...

Plus being..hmm.. older xD helps me to look at exams form another angle..

That's the one good thing that age brings, right? Not just regarding exams but life in general. Your perspective changes and things usually seem less dramatic.

My vague memories tell me that last year you asked if someone here is from Brazil.

… did I...? If so, I totally forgot all about that... (ಠ.ಠ)

And as for your previous post:

I keep my fingers crossed for the poor guy! but it wasn’t a coincidence that he stopped to help you out :)

… what do you mean by that...?
Divine intervention? … or that he was a stalker...? ^^

And it was you who said yesterday that you are special.. so it’s only logical to be difficult for people to forget about you ;) heh

Yeah, you're right! I'm a total oddball! That classifies as special, right...? (;ↀ⌓ↀ)

but I don’t think I’m doing so well though.. I should talk about it probably later because I have to get up early tomorrow...

… (ó.ò) … wanna talk about it...?
If you don't wanna do it here, just write me a mail and I'll definitely reply this time! I promise!
And I wasn't even around to wish you good luck...

Damn me! Here: 凸(⊙▂⊙✖ ) I totally deserve this!

And thank you for the songs! ^_^ I listened to them, that’s what I need.. if you could take out some more out of your hat would be great heh

How about some Sheena Ringo then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oBhhXYoYWM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxBHhMc7oI

Or her band called Tokyo Jihen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTKwzRAdY7w
A good friend recommended her to me a few years back. And he has great taste, so the love should be spread ;)

joined Jun 22, 2016

What is it with you and harassing every artist to come to your country and then spamming youtube comment sections asking this same thing?

O_O... huh?

Also, não.

So, you are from Brazil? Thanks for replying!!!
If you don't mind I have a question about your postal system..? ^^
I got an offer from a potential customer who lives in Brazil. I just wanted to hear from someone who actually lives there if you think that your postal system is reliable and if there's any truth to the stories you hear about things being stuck in customs for months...
Any help would be much appreciated!

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

O_O... huh?

Oh, I asked because as a fellow Brazilian you could probably know BRs who did this, it's intriguing to me.

So, you are from Brazil? Thanks for replying!!!

Hehehe... não. Portugal, sorry.

joined Jun 22, 2016

Oh, I asked because as a fellow Brazilian you could probably know BRs who did this, it's intriguing to me.

I wish my origin would be at least half as cool as Brazil... I'm from Germany, no such luck ^^

joined Aug 16, 2014

[...] if there's any truth to the stories you hear about things being stuck in customs for months...

Yes.

joined Jun 22, 2016

[...] if there's any truth to the stories you hear about things being stuck in customs for months...

Yes.

For real?
... what a shame... I had hopes that those were just rumors used as an excuse by those who generally refuse to ship anywhere that isn't right across their alley...
So...? Would you advise not to ship there...?
I really don't like exclusion though...

Also, many thanks for replying!!!

last edited at Jan 18, 2018 3:31PM

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

Oh fuck, me and reading comprehension are like water and oil

joined Aug 16, 2014

Yes.

For real?
... what a shame... I had hopes that those were just rumors used as an excuse by those who generally refuse to ship anywhere that isn't right across their alley...
So...? Would you advise not to ship there...?
I really don't like exclusion though...

The parcel will arrive. Probably. But I bet it'll stay at least 1 month in customs.

joined Jun 22, 2016

The parcel will arrive. Probably. But I bet it'll stay at least 1 month in customs.

If it was just a gift or a letter, I wouldn't mind.
But business related... you never know who you're dealing with and it's kinda hard to ask: Are you a patient person? Or are you the kind that will constantly ask me where your package is and then cause me lots of trouble when it doesn't arrive whenever you expected it to arrive? ^^”
That's just not something you can ask...
Hmmm...
Thanks for letting me know!

joined Jun 22, 2016

Hey Anon, since you like electronic music have you ever listened to synthwave? I only just got into it recently but it's really cool. I especially like the more dark side of synth with artists like Dance With the Dead. I'm too young to really get the nostalgia from the whole '80s music revival thing, but I still enjoy that type of music a lot.

I have!!!! And I love it!!! Very much so! (♥ε♥)
I also know Dance with the Dead! I think I even recommended them here once.
Awesome stuff!
But I also like the 80s as they were ^^ So awkward that you just can't help but love them! ;)
(and it was also a video game that started my love for the 80s! Yeah, you probably guessed it: It was GTA Vice City)

Maybe you'll also like Perturbator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP1C-W8A69s

Or Kavinsky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FKNViujeM

Or The Midnight (though it might not be all too dark...):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Qx7R655LI

That's the kind of stuff I can listen to all day! (ʃƪˆ▿ˆ)

Also:

I'm actually trying to write some fanfiction right now and it's not going terribly! I mean I've always found it easier to write really late at night since my imagination seems more active then but like, actually writing stuff after all the time I've spent not doing it is such an awesome feeling.

I'm really glad to hear that you started writing again!
Keep it up! ٩(。•ω•。)و

@ Mizusi

Oh fuck, me and reading comprehension are like water and oil

Don't sweat it! I know that feeling all too well... “(>ლ)”

Sometimes I just don't seem to get the most obvious stuff. Not too often, luckily. But whenever it happens I feel like a total moron... (Q_Q)
But I learned to laugh about it, I guess... (;^ω^)

last edited at Jan 18, 2018 4:07PM

joined Aug 16, 2014

If it was just a gift or a letter, I wouldn't mind.
But business related... you never know who you're dealing with and it's kinda hard to ask: Are you a patient person? Or are you the kind that will constantly ask me where your package is and then cause me lots of trouble when it doesn't arrive whenever you expected it to arrive? ^^”
That's just not something you can ask...

Sorry, I didn't want to sour your potential deal. I'd like to say people who buy overseas are usually aware of all the issues (shipping time, time in customs, taxes), but sadly I think many aren't, so I understand why you wouldn't want to risk it. Dealing with these kind of costumers must be a real pain '-'

Thanks for letting me know!

Np, it's always a pleasure helping you Anon =)

joined Jun 22, 2016

@ none

Sorry, I didn't want to sour your potential deal.

Don't be. It wasn't a life changer ;)
I just feel sorry for that customer. For all I know it could be the sweetest person on earth...

I'd like to say people who buy overseas are usually aware of all the issues (shipping time, time in customs, taxes), but sadly I think many aren't, so I understand why you wouldn't want to risk it.

From my experience some really are completely oblivious. But they aren't the majority.

Dealing with these kind of costumers must be a real pain '-'

Whenever you encounter one of those it is. (^∇^)
But luckily most people are really cool and pleasant to deal with.
More often than not you are pleasantly surprised.
But every once in a while you get one of those that ask where their order is when they haven't even paid yet. ^^

Np, it's always a pleasure helping you Anon =)

Flattery won't get you anywhere! (◦’ںˉ◦)

Much obliged though.

joined Jun 22, 2016

@ Ashleigh

I think I've heard of Trevor Something before but can't really remember. The other two are completely new to me. So thanks for the recommendations!
Now I'm stuck listening to music again all night! d (^_^ )

One of my all time favorites is Noir Deco:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew4SLiKbzPk
I recommended them here before – and more than once, if I remember correctly. That's why I stopped for a second to think whether or not I should recommend them again since I don't just wanna post the same stuff over and over again... But in case you haven't heard of them, please check them out! Their LP Future to Fantasy just creeps under your skin... I love it. No, I adore it!!!

And of course there's also Carpenter Brut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY1s9SmrQRE

And Power Glove:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYDuy7wM8Gk
No! Not that Power Glove!!! Of course this is what I wanted to post: ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqe7jPX6DQY

And Lazerhawk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEpGtjXwQtg

And... now I can't stop anymore... okay, just one more! Zombie Hyperdrive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZf15xVrOW8

It's overwhelming!!! (๑°o°๑)

Now I'm high as a kite again!

So am I, it's been so long since I've done it! Pretty much as soon as I left Tumblr a couple of years ago, I just completely lost interest in writing. Then I started playing Kindred Spirits again and it got me motivated to get back into writing. I'm also thinking of writing a script for a visual novel;

That sounds like a cool idea!

it most likely will never be made, but I really want to do something with the idea!

Don't say that, you never know! And as long as you have fun doing it, where's the harm?
So indulge yourself in that feeling for as long as it lasts! Those are the best moments in life! Don't think about the future, just enjoy the present!

To reply you must either login or sign up.