Forum › Canon discussion

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

This is a really weird tag. Since everything is either official (and therefore canon) or a dj (and therefore non-canon) what's this tag supposed to indicate?

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Official works that are neither the primary work nor an adaptation, looks like

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Upon further investigation, it seems to have something to do with the bizarre nature of the Touhou Project, which, after reading the Wikipedia entry on it, I became even more perplexed by the whole thing. Oh well. Since I'm not into non-Original djs, it doesn't look like anything I need to take up headspace with.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

This is a really weird tag. Since everything is either official (and therefore canon) or a dj (and therefore non-canon) what's this tag supposed to indicate?

Doujinshi means self-published, not non-canon.

In the case of the Touhou comics, it's meant to indicate that they are approved, official spin-off works that aren't fan creations or characterizations.

last edited at Jul 4, 2015 10:35AM

5afc3ac0f48a4c6087bde63c209c069b
joined Aug 22, 2014

I actually make a small comment about this a long time ago in the suggestions for improvement thread. I'll just copy and paste what I said.

Official just means something was published in a commercial capacity.
And canon is a term for what's factual in a fictional setting. Promotional art doesn't usually fall under that. There are some weird exceptions like promotional art showing up in Nanoha and Fate's room during Strikers.

Basically, something being official does not automatically means it's canon.

last edited at Jul 4, 2015 1:26PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.