Forum › Don't you just get fustrated just trying to write a story

Urashi C. Pin
Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

im about to flip all the tables in the world, just trying to write a damn sentence. how can you stay calm? im about to blow a vein , its difficult putting my thoughts onto paper and im just finishing my 3rd cups of coffee

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I've been trying to write a story for most of my (admittidly, thus far short) life, I know the feels so well.

Doesn't help that whenever pen is out to paper, how crap what I've written is just makes me angrier.

An episode of Only Fools and Horses taught me that alcohol is better for creativity than caffeine though. People who go through a jet engine are healed buy plastic surgery, good stuff.

Urashi C. Pin
joined Jun 17, 2014

Yeah i feel like tossing children out of windows and i dont think i handle drinks at all i learned the hard way the other day

joined Jan 30, 2013

That's generally the moment when you should stop and do something else, i.e. going a walk or something else that is relaxing.

last edited at Jun 30, 2015 6:07AM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Yeah i feel like tossing children out of windows and i dont think i handle drinks at all i learned the hard way the other day

Well, not handling drinks is a common sight on the streets of England, and they always go back for more.

But if you're going to throw children out of was window, make sure to give them a helmet.

last edited at Jun 30, 2015 6:09AM

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

Why don't you take a short walk outside, it always clears my head and brings inspiration. Though the alcohol does boost creativity(personal experience).

Urashi C. Pin
joined Jun 17, 2014

Yasss i will do that. right now my head is full of steam and im trying to get myself collected by listening to music and get some idea on how to put things together

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

Good luck then :)

Urashi C. Pin
joined Jun 17, 2014

thanks blackkity

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Never happened to me. BTW. what are you writing?

Urashi C. Pin
joined Jun 17, 2014

I am writing the story for my comic which will be a yuri/action/comedy

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Then we are in the same boat. Good luck ;3

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

im about to flip all the tables in the world, just trying to write a damn sentence. how can you stay calm? im about to blow a vein , its difficult putting my thoughts onto paper and im just finishing my 3rd cups of coffee

That's actually pretty simple. If it's your first draft, write it messy. Get the wording all fucked up. Not grammatical? Fine! All you need to do at this point is get down the gist of what you're trying to get across. Doesn't have to be pretty or even good. Hell, most first drafts are crap, why should yours be different?

Then when you've finished and given yourself a couple of days to breathe, go back and fix it on your second draft when you've had a chance to get some perspective. You'll almost guaranteed be able to write something better at that point. But for now? Let it be crappy, as long as the intent of the scene is clear.

lildevilinhell
Untitled-1
joined Jun 19, 2013

It only gets more miserable when you start to try to panel things. -rolls in despair-

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

It only gets more miserable when you start to try to panel things. -rolls in despair-

Idk why, but when I try to imagine things, it always come to me naturally. I got perfect vision in my head instantly. Now if only you could just copy past it on paper...

Ghost in the Shell
Gits_avatar_klein
joined Jul 30, 2013

That's actually pretty simple. If it's your first draft, write it messy. Get the wording all fucked up. Not grammatical? Fine! All you need to do at this point is get down the gist of what you're trying to get across. Doesn't have to be pretty or even good. Hell, most first drafts are crap, why should yours be different?

Then when you've finished and given yourself a couple of days to breathe, go back and fix it on your second draft when you've had a chance to get some perspective. You'll almost guaranteed be able to write something better at that point. But for now? Let it be crappy, as long as the intent of the scene is clear.

Exactly that. Just write something, try to avoid letting your eyes fall back to the previous sentences and keep going.

At least for me, things get better once you consistently keep at it for a shorter while. Then when I go back and rework it, I find I have to rewrite most stuff in the beginning, but the latter parts were actually okay-ish.
The trick is to not expect everything go onto the paper as you have it in your head at first.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Maybe your inspiraton doesn't want to surface just yet, i had my moments of not being able to convey properly to the paper what my head was thinking, but being stuck on it won't help much, do as Nezkun said and write some shitty crap on it and then move on, if even this is proving to be a challenge then leave it blank, maybe the next page will shed some light on what you have to do on the previous one

last edited at Jun 30, 2015 10:38AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Relevant, from Comprehensive Tovarisch:

It's played for laughs, but the fact is that's the way professional writers do it. The #1 advice from successful writers and artists I've seen is "show up for work every day". Waiting around for inspiration is an amateur move, inspiration is actually a function of simple production.

last edited at Jun 30, 2015 10:56AM

joined Jun 17, 2014

I love you all

joined Jun 17, 2014

yeah for a long time i had a hard time with writing but i should just go for it and see where it leads me

joined Jun 17, 2014

i dont know how i didnt fail english i couldnt write a goddamn essay

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

i dont know how i didnt fail english i couldnt write a goddamn essay

Good trick for you, especially when it comes to writing scripts: read it out loud. This works for fiction and non-fiction too, but it should really be mandatory for scripts. You'll see much quicker where awkward bits are, and your grammar will improve a lot because you'll see what sounds right or authentic in practice. It's simple, but it makes a big difference.

joined Jun 17, 2014

thanks nezchan

joined Jun 17, 2014

im going to write until i break my hands lel

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Nezkun said

I wonder if Nezchan has a bingo card of all the honourifics we can add to the end of their name? How far are we off bingo?

To reply you must either login or sign up.