Forum › Feelings that curl and fade like smoke discussion

joined Jan 30, 2013

This group has a very impressive output :O
I really hope this is a long-term thing.

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

I like

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Not bad, but one of those stories that makes me wonder why it isn't an original

joined Jan 30, 2013

It probably would've worked better as an original story. Akagi also seems out of character, then again, they are technically ships so what do I know.

It's a good story for this type, but I'm very much not liking that it's Kaga x Akagi. Like the poster above I think that this should have been done as an original one-shot instead of using Kaga's and Akagi's design. It just doesn't seem like this story could be about them at all as it deviates way too far from what one could expect from them based on their already established character personalities. I really just cannot like it and again it would have been better to create original characters.

last edited at Mar 29, 2015 11:25PM

joined Jan 30, 2013

It's more difficult to create original characters instead of using ones that are already established (by someone else). I think the author was either trying to see what happens if you put them in a different context or maybe she (?) just needed that "crutch".

joined Jan 8, 2014

Not bad... the art wasnt too expressive tho...just my opinion...

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

It's a good story for this type, but I'm very much not liking that it's Kaga x Akagi. Like the poster above I think that this should have been done as an original one-shot instead of using Kaga's and Akagi's design. It just doesn't seem like this story could be about them at all as it deviates way too far from what one could expect from them based on their already established character personalities. I really just cannot like it and again it would have been better to create original characters.

I agree. Plus I'm not on board with the whole deal of either -kakus coming in and making things difficult. I understand where the craving for drama comes from, but when two ships are solidly on board with each other without any substantial evidence of mixing between them, I get a little annoyed at what feels to be forced love triangling.

It's more difficult to create original characters instead of using ones that are already established (by someone else). I think the author was either trying to see what happens if you put them in a different context or maybe she (?) just needed that "crutch".

Coming up with original characters and design can definitely be difficult and that is kind of my point. These authors/artists put a lot of work into original character designs and with just how many characters there are in the Kantai universe I'm sure it was even harder. The point I'm trying to make is that there is a fine line between doujin and simply using characters because they're already created. I don't know what the creator of this was thinking so I'm not saying they've done anything wrong, I just don't like how this comes across to me. As for the different context by using an alternate universe you should still be able to feel like the characters used, with the personalities already given to them by the actual creator of the characters, that their actions and behavior are plausible. Those in this story did not feel like Kaga or Akagi at all. For those reasons it would have been better just to make new characters for this story and not associate it with KanColle when KanColle really isn't represented here at all, just used.

That said Akagi is a glutton so if they played that personality quirk a bit more and had her going for girls instead of food to make for some strong drama that could be interesting. However that is not portrayed here in a way to make it feel like that's what the doujin writer had intended.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I agree with everyone else. I couldn't really like this one since Akagi felt waaay off. Sure there technically aren't really "canon" personalities, but based on how Akagi is usually written, it just wasn't her. (Although has that changed since the anime came out?)

When I saw the cig in Akagi's hand, I was like, "What!? Eating a bento box on the roof would be more like it." I thought Kaga was in character though. I could see her acting like that.

Thanks for the release Team11x2! Even if this one wasn't exactly to my tastes, I'm always up for more Akaga!

10403581_621426341322993_8103147825250708135_n
joined Mar 15, 2015

seem to see Akagi x Shoukaku,
am i right ?

First_trip
joined Jan 17, 2015

delinquent Akagi huh, I like that, but not with the cigarette >.> I despise it...
Oh and Akagi turns aggressive for a change. I love it when Akagi is the initiative one lol

joined Mar 30, 2012

Hvnt watched the anime yet, and don't know their "characters" though I've read most of the KanColle doujins here so luckily not feeling off about them.

It's rare for me to like this drama, even though there's some points that don't make sense, I mean it seems like Kaga and Akagi like each other but somehow there's this third person fling thing going on for whatever reason.

joined Mar 25, 2015

Serious akagi for once huh? but then again its au story, why not? it's happen all the time with touhou doujins, like some people who likes meiling as serious character or goofy characters both works fine depend on the story, yeah its up to the author to write anything they want.

thejoshymeister
joined Apr 12, 2014

There should be an angst tag

joined Aug 1, 2013

Can someone explain what is going on here? Is Akagi cheating on Kaga or is she doing Shoukaku because she can't have Kaga or what? Is there a sequel, prequel of sorts?

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Can someone explain what is going on here? Is Akagi cheating on Kaga or is she doing Shoukaku because she can't have Kaga or what? Is there a sequel, prequel of sorts?

We don't know if Akagi and Kaga were together (I don't think so) but there definitely was something between them. Akagi is a player, she have sex and smoke for fun (or self destruction). Kaga found out and don't let Akagi have her way anymore.

last edited at Mar 30, 2015 6:01AM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

I agree with everyone else. I couldn't really like this one since Akagi felt waaay off. Sure there technically aren't really "canon" personalities, but based on how Akagi is usually written, it just wasn't her. (Although has that changed since the anime came out?)

Mind, the anime isn't exactly canon either. But it used a fairly standard serious version of Akagi. Think To Your World

Serious akagi for once huh? but then again its au story, why not? it's happen all the time with touhou doujins, like some people who likes meiling as serious character or goofy characters both works fine depend on the story, yeah its up to the author to write anything they want

It's just that when you have an alternate setting and highly atypical characterizations you have to wonder what the point of it being a fanwork is

joined Dec 3, 2014

Wow, the OOC is real.

Like many others have stated here, this may work well as an original story. But for a doujin it's definitely quite a turn off.

joined Mar 25, 2015

It's just that when you have an alternate setting and highly atypical characterizations you have to wonder what the point of it being a fanwork is

like I said it's done so many time on touhou doujins and I would expect the same on kancolle fanworks too, isn't that exactly the point of fanworks though?

last edited at Mar 30, 2015 4:44PM

Solid%20ice%20heart%203-29-15
joined Mar 30, 2015

It almost seems that Kaga is more annoyed about Akagi's trysts than Akagi's smoking habit.

Screen%20shot%202014-09-27%20at%2012.20.44%20am
joined Mar 5, 2012

Personalities being different between this alternate reality and the canon universe aside...

Akagi, Kaga and Shoukaku look so good in the school uniform the artist chose for them. ^_^

934c158f-6d10-4800-a176-151cb1c96d1b
joined Dec 23, 2019

Cheating tag missing?

To reply you must either login or sign up.