Forum › Like the Falling Snow, I Want to Rain Many Small Joys Upon You discussion

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

This has just melted my frozen heart.

joined Jan 8, 2014

So sweet ^_^

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Were the bits in Russian script that way in the original ? If so I think writing the sound as close as possible in Katakana would of worked better - at least as a subscript to the Russian (with the translation still by its side obviously) - if it wasn't in Russian script, the translators shouldn't of changed it to be I think.

If it was the anime or we were there in person, we would hear whatever she said - the sounds - even if we didn't understand it. But as it is, unless you know the Russian alphabet and how its pronounced, you can't even sound it out - that last Russian word on page 13 for example is 'spasibo' - lots of people probably know that word, but wouldn't recognize it in Russian script.

Like the Russian on page 8 - you are given the translation, 'delicious' - but I still want to know what came out of her mouth - but have no clue how to say those letters.

Other than that I did actually like it :)

last edited at Feb 22, 2015 2:14AM

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Gosh I love these two so much. So hard to wrap my mind around the fact that the game and manga universes are so drastically different shipping-wise.

Were the bits in Russian script that way in the original ? If so I think writing the sound as close as possible in Katakana would of worked better - at least as a subscript to the Russian (with the translation still by its side obviously) - if it wasn't in Russian script, the translators shouldn't of changed it to be I think.

Friendly reminder it's 'would've' and 'shouldn't have', not 'would of' and 'shouldn't of'. Don't want anyone thinking less of you unfairly because of a phonetics issue.

As for the Russian, it's a translator discretion thing, and personally I agree with their choices. It helps us read it in much the same way natives speakers do when reading in Japanese. Alphabets are difficult things, to work with, and the more you fudge with them in translation the harder it gets to accurately depict the pronunciation, and at an even deeper level the etymology gets lost a bit too. Sooo, for a general audience, leaving them as is is best I think.

last edited at Feb 22, 2015 3:17AM

First_trip
joined Jan 17, 2015

Ohmygosh, adorable! I.need.more.NozoEli. I mean, more Dom!Nozomi =))
Anyways, thank you so much for translating this!
Hope to see more and more Nozoeli lol

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

As for the Russian, it's a translator discretion thing, and personally I agree with their choices. It helps us read it in much the same way natives speakers do when reading in Japanese. Alphabets are difficult things, to work with, and the more you fudge with them in translation the harder it gets to accurately depict the pronunciation, and at an even deeper level the etymology gets lost a bit too. Sooo, for a general audience, leaving them as is is best I think.

I think I wasn't clear - or you'd not have mentioned it helps us read it the same way as native Japanese do, or etymology - they don't enter in to what I meant.

I don't know what the translators have added or changed but I'm suggesting the original would've been better written like-
большое спасибо (the Russian text) then in small besides it, ボルショイエ・スパシボー or something similar - they still don't know what that means unless they happen to know the Russian words - and replace that in our translated version with 'bol'shoye spasibo'. Then, if you wish your readers to know what she is actually saying - the original would include どうも有難う in bigger font beside it - and our translated version 'thank you so much' or whatever.

All I'm endorsing is whenever a manga wants to use words from a foreign language that are written in an alphabet the readers can't even pronounce because they don't know the letters - even if you aren't going to give a translation of the word because the other characters in the scene don't know what's being said either- you should STILL write a - basically a 'sound effect' of the word if you will - so we 'hear' what the people in the scene heard too- and like them we won't know what it means but might at least think, 'that sounded Russian'.

Without that pronunciation sub script, we don't have any idea what words she actually spoke- just their meaning, and I want to be able to 'hear' those Russian words, and I can't if I have no clue of what was said.

I hope that was clearer.

joined Nov 27, 2014

Were the bits in Russian script that way in the original ?

Hi! I'm the translator, and yes, the Russian in the speech bubbles was untouched from the original. There was no katakana, only a translation into Japanese.

last edited at Feb 22, 2015 7:51AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Were the bits in Russian script that way in the original ?

Hi! I'm the translator, and yes, the Russian in the speech bubbles was untouched from the original. There was no katakana, only a translation into Japanese.

Thanks for answering that :) I thought it was probably like that - I still think it would be best if the mangaka's did some subscript katakana pronunciations in cases where they use foreign alphabets but you don't often see it.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

I think I wasn't clear - or you'd not have mentioned it helps us read it the same way as native Japanese do, or etymology - they don't enter in to what I meant.
-condensed-
I hope that was clearer.

Ah it was me who misspoke. I wasn't so much addressing the issue (I didn't do the translation) so much as branching what you said. I agree that there should be pronunciation helpers (shoot thats what romanji is) when involving another language.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

MAAAN that was so freaking adorable and that NicoMaki at the end xD.

Ejej
joined Aug 24, 2014

I love how the artist keeps all the characters in character: almost as if this is the real author writing the story.

chipmunksmtw
Racing%20noz
joined May 19, 2016

todokete setsunasa mi wa
the feels...
their interaction is very cute, yes it almost feels like it's canon!

joined May 25, 2020

nice

To reply you must either login or sign up.