Forum › Yuri Kuma Arashi discussion

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

Here is the link for you, English speakers:
http://www.anime4fun.com/yuri-kuma-arashi-episode-1

A little warning on these subs. They're translations of the CR translations, so watch at your own risk. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't put out any judgement.

I was about to write a warning too.
I've just checked it, and wow... it's really limit...not acceptable.
Especially at the beginning.
Hmmm, but understandable at least. I was expecting better from anime4fun tho.

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 6:36PM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

what the actual fuck was that, this manga was weird but coherent what the hell was that anime?

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Already knew this was gonna happen but... Was gonna give it a shot but all that bear-suit-magical-girl bullshit always repulses me making me cringe in pain.

flips out of all the things THAT was your main problem? so much was wrong with this first episode i dont even know where to start.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Already knew this was gonna happen but... Was gonna give it a shot but all that bear-suit-magical-girl bullshit always repulses me making me cringe in pain.

flips out of all the things THAT was your main problem? so much was wrong with this first episode i dont even know where to start.

I only saw the OP...
xD

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 6:33PM

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

what the actual fuck was that, this manga was weird but coherent what the hell was that anime?

Comedy, sci-fi, and slice of life apparently.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

I only saw the OP...
xD

ugh Ikuhara why.
I think i realized why i hated this so much........besides the total randomness and lack of a coherent plot or established characters.

its because its fucking monogatari.
no really, the fanservice passed off as symbolism, the impossible geometry, and i SWEAR there was a head tilt in there somewhere.
this is a fucking monogatari spinoff!

(i know it isn't but that's what it feels like)

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 6:45PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Comedy, sci-fi, and slice of life apparently.

I like that both have their own history, I'm just sad becoz I don't have more chapters of the manga so idk where any of them is going D:

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

It's just the first episode, so I might be seriously wrong.
Nevertheless, I think they are trying to play with the
Love vs Hate theme, (like the eating vs eating up): Sweet and harsh. The fact that love can fulfil but also destroy; it can be about giving, but also about being utterly selfish.

I love it so far. Those bears are cute and horrendously terrifying at the same time.
It actually looks like an anime for which we'll have to deal with load of symbols if we want to understand the plot.
I'm in. Cannot wait for the next part.

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

I only saw the OP...
xD

ugh Ikuhara why.
I think i realized why i hated this so much........besides the total randomness and lack of a coherent plot or established characters.

its because its fucking monogatari.
no really, the fanservice passed off as symbolism, the impossible geometry, and i SWEAR there was a head tilt in there somewhere.
this is a fucking monogatari spinoff!

(i know it isn't but that's what it feels like)

I wouldn't say like monogatari, really.
Monogatari are harder than this to get in.
I personally find them too fast and too intense, no time to think, no time to even read by the way.

The time line in the first episode of Yuri Kuma is hard to get. After watching it twice it became clearer for me.
Each pair of characters seems to have a specific tableau and theme. They are like pieces put together randomly on the time line before narrowing down at some point, and merging when they finally interact. The sole good point with it, is that same words/expressions/phrases/comments are repeated several times, so contrary to monogatari you have a chance to catch what's going on.

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 7:23PM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

It's just the first episode, so I might be seriously wrong.
Nevertheless, I think they are trying to play with the
Love vs Hate theme, (like the eating vs eating up): Sweet and harsh. The fact that love can fulfil but also destroy; it can be about giving, but also about being utterly selfish.

I love it so far. Those bears are cute and horrendously terrifying at the same time.
It actually looks like an anime for which we'll have to deal with load of symbols if we want to understand the plot.
I'm in. Cannot wait for the next part.

I would like to point out i had an evangelion avatar for the longest time before posting this since liking evangelion to a lot of people means you like pretentious crap:

There are 4 main types of symbolism i tend to see in anime, obvious symbolism that is figured out easily, 2deep4ulol symbolism which is my thing because it requires a lot of re-watches and thinking carefully to get the general idea however the plot is still coherent and the characters are still in place so it doesn't come off as random, pretentious as all fuck symbolism which is TRYING to say something and that message can eventually be figured out but its so loud and annoying in its execution or just completely overshadows the plot that it takes away from the experience and finally Fanservice symbolism, in which it has a message and all but it is honestly just an excuse to titilate the viewers and trick them into thinking they are deep.

The monogatari series is something i despise because it is type 4
This turned me off so much because it is a combination of type 3 and type 4, with sprinkles of type 1 in there and that doesn't lend itself to a well put together episode, the first episode is meant to GRAB you, meant to put pieces of a jigsaw puzzle that is the story in front of you and allow you to figure it all out as the plot progresses only to find you are missing a ton of pieces because its only episode 1 so you want more.

this is like they gave you a jigsaw piece sure..........but just the one and the rest are a random assortment of shapes while it leaves you to figure out what those shapes are and how they fit into the jigsaw.

my point is YOU DON'T THROW THE EOE SHIT AT THE START, save it until the viewer has context and has observed the world and the characters or you get confused and angry people like me.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Confusion, yes... There is, but are you really feeling angry about this? Let's be honest, I wasn't expecting a masterpiece with the "alien moe bears" thing and I'm still confused of what they delivered, still triying to process all that, but if you guys feel really that bad maybe your expectations were way too high! Maybe you didn't like how different is from the manga and that's okay I know that we get reeeeally few yuri animes from time to time so when we get one that isn't even entertaining (Akuma no riddle for example) we feel bad for the whole yuri world, but don't be so hard on this one that is just starting.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

I'm hard on it not because my expectations were high, but because i hate monogatari like kefka hates everything.
it just made me angry that i was thinking "this might be decent" and what i got was something similar to one of my most hated franchises of all time.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

So, the anime is insane. We're basically going straight for the "I don't know what's real" part of the series, skipping the bits that set everything up that Utena and Penguindrum had

Visual style reminded me a lot of Monogatari, but Monogatari has a fairly coherent story beneath the visuals, while this has multiple layers of symbolism

I think it's enjoyable, but not really on a surface level. Also, it'd be nice if people started translating the manga again

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

I would like to point out i had an evangelion avatar for the longest time before posting this since liking evangelion to a lot of people means you like pretentious crap:

There are 4 main types of symbolism i tend to see in anime, obvious symbolism that is figured out easily, 2deep4ulol symbolism which is my thing because it requires a lot of re-watches and thinking carefully to get the general idea however the plot is still coherent and the characters are still in place so it doesn't come off as random, pretentious as all fuck symbolism which is TRYING to say something and that message can eventually be figured out but its so loud and annoying in its execution or just completely overshadows the plot that it takes away from the experience and finally Fanservice symbolism, in which it has a message and all but it is honestly just an excuse to titilate the viewers and trick them into thinking they are deep.

The monogatari series is something i despise because it is type 4
This turned me off so much because it is a combination of type 3 and type 4, with sprinkles of type 1 in there and that doesn't lend itself to a well put together episode, the first episode is meant to GRAB you, meant to put pieces of a jigsaw puzzle that is the story in front of you and allow you to figure it all out as the plot progresses only to find you are missing a ton of pieces because its only episode 1 so you want more.

this is like they gave you a jigsaw piece sure..........but just the one and the rest are a random assortment of shapes while it leaves you to figure out what those shapes are and how they fit into the jigsaw.

my point is YOU DON'T THROW THE EOE SHIT AT THE START, save it until the viewer has context and has observed the world and the characters or you get confused and angry people like me.

I agree with you as far as the monogatari series are concerned.
For the reasons explained in previous comment, I continue thinking yuri kuma is not of this type.

If the common rules we know about stories are: a hero or main character, some context, a special event, a problem, a quest...
The first episode gives us all of that. It looks like a mess because there is no apparent effort made to convey it in a structured way. And this is definitely what they wanted to achieve. It's like reading some theatre of the absurd; the mess is part of the fun.

Now, as far as the yuri sexy part is concerned, yes it is fan service. But not totally useless.
I saw this scene as an example of what they mean when they say that they do what they want, humans have rules but it's none of their business.
In few seconds, with few words, this scene let you see how selfish they apparently are
But are they really this way? What does the dark hair bear means when she says that she refuses to give up on what she loves, while apparently eating the corpse of a human. That she doesn't want to stop killing? I think it's not that straightforward.. WELL I HOPE SO! {lol}

Cheers!

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 8:16PM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

^ you say it gives us our hero.............not really, we don't really know anything about our main character at all, even the manga did a better job with that, everyone just feels so 2d our heroine got the worst part because sumika stole her manga personality so now we have a 1d hero, some 2d bears and a school that is so SHAFT im surprised the school itself isn't head tilting.

Plus the opening seems to imply the girl will have glorious OT3 with the bears.........no just no.
why? THEY ATE HER FUCKING GIRLFRIEND

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 8:48PM

Tumblr_nsb2wsngkl1t0bs5do3_250
joined Jul 2, 2013

You're asking for '3D' characters on the first episode. What comes in the next 11? 4D?

Edit:

a school that is so SHAFT im surprised the school itself isn't head tilting.

Thanks for the laugh. I somehow missed it on my first readthrough.

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 9:01PM

Neu
joined Jan 12, 2014

Watched the Anime expecting an adaption. I got an original story instead. I personally don't like stories getting Shafted that much but I'm not strictly against it. As long as it's made good somehow I can enjoy it in a different stomach. For now I'll call the manga Yuri Arashi and the Anime Kuma Arashi in my head.

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 8:53PM

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

People chill its only the first episode 0__0

joined Jun 17, 2014

^ you say it gives us our hero.............not really, we don't really know anything about our main character at all, even the manga did a better job with that, everyone just feels so 2d our heroine got the worst part because sumika stole her manga personality so now we have a 1d hero, some 2d bears and a school that is so SHAFT im surprised the school itself isn't head tilting.

Plus the opening seems to imply the girl will have glorious OT3 with the bears.........no just no.
why? THEY ATE HER FUCKING GIRLFRIEND

^^^^^
I seriously doubt that they did and im seriously curious on why they didnt eat you know.... why was that? they got the chance but they didnt take it

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 9:16PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Just finished it
I'm not going to beat around the bush, this was crap, not going to apply the 3 episodes rule with this one
See you next yuri anime, which i hope for the name of God that it won't be Citrus

joined Jun 17, 2014

Just finished it
I'm not going to beat around the bush, this was crap, not going to apply the 3 episodes rule with this one
See you next yuri anime, which i hope for the name of God that it won't be Citrus

Was it too much for your mind to handle?

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Just finished it

Was it too much for your mind to handle?

Yes, i'm a dumb little girl that needs everything told right at my face so i can enjoy anything

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nez Note

Okay, this is just getting nasty now. Tone is down, the lot of you. Or it'll get toned down for you.

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 9:26PM

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

So, the anime is insane. We're basically going straight for the "I don't know what's real" part of the series, skipping the bits that set everything up that Utena and Penguindrum had

Visual style reminded me a lot of Monogatari, but Monogatari has a fairly coherent story beneath the visuals, while this has multiple layers of symbolism

I think it's enjoyable, but not really on a surface level. Also, it'd be nice if people started translating the manga again

I can totally see the Monogatari vibe to it, but this was by the people that did Utena and Penguindrum, so its going to have more of a feel for those... other folks have said it has a SHAFT feel to it.

And... just remember that this an adaptation of the manga, not a 1:1 version so where getting a mostly/partially original portrayal.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I can totally see the Monogatari vibe to it, but this was by the people that did Utena and Penguindrum, so its going to have more of a feel for those... other folks have said it has a SHAFT feel to it.

And... just remember that this an adaptation of the manga, not a 1:1 version so where getting a mostly/partially original portrayal.

From what's been said here, it isn't meant to be an adaption at all. The anime and manga had the same designs and same basic idea, but otherwise the two creators went off in separate directions.

To reply you must either login or sign up.