Forum › Whispering You a Love Song discussion

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

Shiho doesn't deserve to be in this uncomfortable and uncertain situation. It's entirely Aki's fault, and this time she has no excuse.

So I’ve been reading the comments that I missed from the time I put this manga on hold (only started to catch up when I heard AkiShiho finally reconciled). And I’ve been so proud of you for standing up for Shiho everytime there’s a new chapter when Shiho haters were domination the discussions. I actually like Shiho too, but I cannot deny that she was a bitch, that’s actually why I like her, she is a very transparent character and she made this manga so interesting. However this comment of yours this time made no fucking sense, and I’m thinking you like Shiho to the point that you ignore and even blamed Shiho’s “victims” for whatever is happening to Shiho right now (which are not even bad because Shiho is happy right now). I can’t believe you’re blaming Aki, of all people, when she is on top of the list of the people that did nothing wrong here. Aki is actually making an effort to love Shiho because Shiho only gave her two choices (love me or let me go), what is wrong with that? It’s obviously what Shiho wants too.

I don’t usually post a comment here but damn, I can’t tolerate people badmouthing Aki because of Shiho.

last edited at May 7, 2024 8:24AM

joined Feb 11, 2022

So I’ve been reading the comments that I missed from the time I put this manga on hold (only started to catch up when I heard AkiShiho finally reconciled). And I’ve been so proud of you for standing up for Shiho everytime there’s a new chapter when Shiho haters were domination the discussions. I actually like Shiho too, but I cannot deny that she was a bitch, that’s actually why I like her, she is a very transparent character and she made this manga so interesting. However this comment of yours this time made no fucking sense, and I’m thinking you like Shiho to the point that you ignore and even blamed Shiho’s “victims” for whatever is happening to Shiho right now (which are not even bad because Shiho is happy right now). I can’t believe you’re blaming Aki, of all people, when she is on top of the list of the people that did nothing wrong here. Aki is actually making an effort to love Shiho because Shiho only gave her two choices (love me or let me go), what is wrong with that? It’s obviously what Shiho wants too.

Well, I may have gone a little too far with my words back then, but I still think Aki could have made better decisions after the festival. No matter how I look at it, asking Shiho out immediately after without having romantic feelings for her seems like a mistake to me.

I understand that the author wanted to give closure to that plot, but Aki should have tried to search for answers little by little and without giving Shiho hope from the beginning like she did. As I wrote, they even go to the same school. She would have had plenty of opportunities to spend time with her anyway. Not to mention that Shiho made it clear that she still liked her and that she had no intention of them being just friends, so Aki didn't even need to take an active stance, since there was no risk of losing her in the short term at all.

I really like Aki too and I'm aware that she has the best intentions, but I believe her decision was hasty, unnecessary and selfish (she prioritized her desire to not lose Shiho as a friend over her mental well-being).

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I can't remember if I said this when the chapter just came out, but after "Shiho-chan has disappeared..." in chapter 41 I was legitimately worried she had jumped off the roof or got hit by a truck (or threatened to). I felt Kyou dying kind of opened the gate for this manga to do that kind of thing, but at the same time it's not like I actively hated Shiho to the point of wishing for her to be killed like some others here.

last edited at May 7, 2024 8:59PM

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

Well, I may have gone a little too far with my words back then, but I still think Aki could have made better decisions after the festival. No matter how I look at it, asking Shiho out immediately after without having romantic feelings for her seems like a mistake to me.

I understand that the author wanted to give closure to that plot, but Aki should have tried to search for answers little by little and without giving Shiho hope from the beginning like she did. As I wrote, they even go to the same school. She would have had plenty of opportunities to spend time with her anyway. Not to mention that Shiho made it clear that she still liked her and that she had no intention of them being just friends, so Aki didn't even need to take an active stance, since there was no risk of losing her in the short term at all.

I really like Aki too and I'm aware that she has the best intentions, but I believe her decision was hasty, unnecessary and selfish (she prioritized her desire to not lose Shiho as a friend over her mental well-being).

Aki was just being proactive. Shiho is a very high maintenance and impatient girl, she doesn’t like staying friends, so the only option is to be lovers. Shiho didn’t clearly say this but it’s obvious to the readers and to Aki. And I think it would be worst for Shiho’s mental health to be around Aki without any assurance that the latter will not fall in love with someone else. Being in a relationship will require Aki to only focus on Shiho and making Aki fall for her, which is the goal of both girls anyway.

joined Feb 11, 2022

And I think it would be worst for Shiho’s mental health to be around Aki without any assurance that the latter will not fall in love with someone else. Being in a relationship will require Aki to only focus on Shiho and making Aki fall for her, which is the goal of both girls anyway.

I disagree with this. I don't want to rewrite things that I have already mentioned before mainly because you have probably already read them, but in my opinion no hope is better than false hope in this situation, considering Shiho's state of emotional fragility. Starting to date someone with that condition without knowing if you will end up having genuine romantic feelings is simply irresponsible.

I was rooting for Aki/Shiho to happen, but, as someone else said, I just wasn't satisfied with the way it happened.

last edited at May 9, 2024 4:31PM

O
joined Jan 12, 2021

I can't remember if I said this when the chapter just came out, but after "Shiho-chan has disappeared..." in chapter 41 I was legitimately worried she had jumped off the roof or got hit by a truck (or threatened to). I felt Kyou dying kind of opened the gate for this manga to do that kind of thing, but at the same time it's not like I actively hated Shiho to the point of wishing for her to be killed like some others here.

I thought the same on a re-read, the author could have turned the whole part that Himari was looking for Shiho into an inner monologue about her fears over that happening, especially since she knew about the Kyou story.

Starting to date someone with that condition without knowing if you will end up having genuine romantic feelings is simply irresponsible.

Hence why they are teenagers, can't exactly expect them to be responsible.

Well, adults can also be just as irresponsible or worse, but you get what I mean.

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

As episode 5/6 approach, which should cover volume 3, I want to mention the name of Yori's "love song", Sunny Spot.

At first blush, it reminded me of the OP of the yuri visual novel Hakuisei Aijou Izonshou (Nurse Love Addiction), Sunny Place. Would recommend, by the way.

Then my pun senses started to tingle. What's "sunny spot" in Japanese? Hidamari, like in Hidamari Sketch. You can probably see where this is going. While we never see Himari's name rendered in kanji (I don't have all the raws so I can't say for sure though), but the hi could be read as meaning "day, or sun, or sunshine".

Again, I don't have the raws, so I don't know if in the original manga Yori used the english "Sunny Spot" or the Japanese "Hidamari". "Sunny Spot" could maybe pass off as a sneaky Himari pun, but if Yori used "Hidamari", she might as well have been beating Himari over the head with a giant pink dildo from how obvious it is. EDIT: the anime used the english "Sunny Spot".

It goes without saying that they have to nail that song.

last edited at May 11, 2024 2:25PM

O
joined Jan 12, 2021

EP5 was GREAT! It captivated me throughout the whole thing, the animations were good 99% of the time too, my only complaint would be at the scene where YoriHima are walking back together, specifically the parts where they are actually walking and not standing still. But I seriously didn't mind it at all compared to EP3.

I also thought they adapted this episode differently than the rest, where we have a couple of completely original scenes, it's great as a manga reader since you may see something entirely new. They also removed some things just like the other episodes until now - such as Aki's small dialogue at the start as she is leaving the room; she doesn't tell Himari to keep it a secret, or the Momoka scene after she "meets" Yori for the first time, she doesn't talk about how she recognizes Yori, etc.

The SSGIRLS scene with Himari was just too adorable, I was smiling the whole way through, talk about some inner healing for me. But I disliked how they adapted the part where Himari grabbed onto her own chest, I wish her expression was more like in the manga. The still images of AkiYori in that scene also disappointed me a bit, one of them is among my favorite pages in the whole manga (the first one) - Yori looks so handsome, but in the anime, I didn't find her as beautiful. I actually thought Aki was the handsome one in that frame, attaching images for comparison's sake.

A

This is the manga drawing I was talking about, in regards to being one of my favorites. Look at how handsome Yori looks in it, and Aki in the anime.

A

I think it's the eyes in the manga, it delivers a harsher feeling IMO. Plus, you can see her hand on her chest still.

BUT! It's alright. The voice acting, the colors, the background imagery, the animation, THE BACKGROUND MUSIC! I don't see people talking about the BGM at all. I loved it in that AkiYori scene above, and other tracks are so cute as well. The track that plays when YoriHima are walking back, or the track that starts playing when Aki is introducing Himari to the SSGIRLS, or when Shiho is describing the SSGIRLS at the end, or when Himari tells Yori that they can go together to the date, and, and... it's all perfect. I really hope they release those tracks later on.

And I'm already getting used to Shiho's voice, too. Anyway, it's already starting to get too long and I could seriously talk even more about this EP. I'm completely normal about it and I can't WAIT for the next one!

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

https://imgur.com/a/q1YTPNn Chapter 49 raws

At first I was like "OH YEAH MIKI-CHAN AND WIND CLUB SENPAI"

Then I was like "BEST GIRL YORI... BUT THIS ISN'T HER CHAPTER"

Then I was like "YURITIME! BIG CONFESSION!"

Then I was like "Uh-oh... aren't the other girls jumping the gun, bursting in before Miki gave her real reply?"

Then I was like "AAAAHHHHHH MORE DRAMA!!!"

Then I was like "AYO? IS MIKI IN LOVE WITH SHIHO???? NAHHH IS SHE GENUINELY A SISCON LIKE WE ALL SUSPECTED????"

Anyways... YagaKimi may have been finely engineered/crafted, introspective, even subversive... but I don't think it really made my simple monkey brain as happy as YoriHima does.

last edited at May 18, 2024 9:53PM

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

Time for some incest

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Anyways... YagaKimi may have been finely engineered/crafted, introspective, even subversive... but I don't think it really made my simple monkey brain as happy as YoriHima does.

If I think of these characters not as imaginary human beings with plausible psychologies in a more-or-less realistic storyworld but more like counters in a game of love/friendship/heartbreak and confess/accept/reject, it becomes a lot more fun.

Like, "Ooh! They just played the siscon/incest card! Let's go!"

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I kinda groaned at the developments in the new chapter because ONCE AGAIN Aki is at the center of the new drama (can someone give her a break lol), but as long as it doesn't drag on as long as the previous arc, I can roll with this being a fun lil side arc.

last edited at May 20, 2024 4:59PM

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I kinda groaned at the developments in the new chapter because ONCE AGAIN Aki is at the center of the new drama (can someone give her a break lol), but as long as it doesn't drag on as long as the previous arc, I can roll with this being a fun lil side arc.

I'll wait and see. It's an ambiguous ending, so there's not much to worry about or speculate about until the next chapter clarifies the direction. But if it does turn out as you say, I'll agree unless the execution makes up for it.

last edited at May 20, 2024 12:17PM

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

If I think of these characters not as imaginary human beings with plausible psychologies in a more-or-less realistic storyworld but more like counters in a game of love/friendship/heartbreak and confess/accept/reject, it becomes a lot more fun.

I thought about this yesterday. They clearly aren't real or realistic people (I considered using the term "hyperreal" because I want to call them "better than real" but I don't think the definition of that properly fits this situation), they're basically cartoon characters, and not in the whole "anime ARE just cartoons anyway" sense, but more that they're ludicrously caricatured characters. More akin to building blocks (like Legos) of behaviors and tropes. If you've spent too much time on TVTropes like me, you'll know "Tropes Are Tools" and that you can kind of see tropes everywhere. But with a series like this, it's more opaque and obvious.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I thought about this yesterday. They clearly aren't real or realistic people (I considered using the term "hyperreal" because I want to call them "better than real" but I don't think the definition of that properly fits this situation), they're basically cartoon characters, and not in the whole "anime ARE just cartoons anyway" sense, but more that they're ludicrously caricatured characters. More akin to building blocks (like Legos) of behaviors and tropes. If you've spent too much time on TVTropes like me, you'll know "Tropes Are Tools" and that you can kind of see tropes everywhere. But with a series like this, it's more opaque and obvious.

I think everyone spends too much time on TVtropes nowadays. Not really a fan of that site or others like it.

last edited at May 20, 2024 1:18PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I think everyone spends too much time on TVtropes nowadays. Not really a fan of that site or others like it.

TVtropes isn't a good website IMO. There's various problems with it. Even just on the surface it makes people view most everything as it's tropes and nothing more, a very cynical outlook where they seek to rip something into pieces while viewing it in the most reductionist manner possible.

Also I've seen people criticize YagiKami, saying it had weird elements, and so fourth. So I don't think it's this black and white situation where Whispering is just trashy junkfood and YagiKami is this god like flawless piece of media. I don't know, just seems too cynical and putting one thing on a pedestal out of favoritism for me. As I've said on some YagiKami art where this was brought up, I might enjoy Whispering a little more but I enjoy both series and I rather not make it into some comparison game myself. I genuinely enjoy this manga for what it is, and I also enjoy YagiKami for what it is.

Edit: That said though, we'll see how the future of the manga goes. I'm not a fan of the siscon spoiler element people are mentioning for this series, I never thought of that as being something that would come up here. I genuinely do think at least up until now there's been some fantastic character moments in this series, that have been fueled by scenes of great character communication, that make the relationships feel good to me.

last edited at May 20, 2024 3:49PM

Screenshot%202022-05-05%20at%2020.52.05%20copy
joined Sep 23, 2021

no...no...sasakoi, you were so good please don't do this, you can still back out of it

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

This isn't super surprising to me, we always knew Miki was a bit of a siscon, the question is just whether it really extends into the romantic as well, or not. She could very well just be the "regular" kind of siscon who idolizes her sister and wants more/all of her attention, in a familial way.

Either way though i expected this development, Miki's laserfocus on her sister had to come up either way if she's to get a gf herself

Meow
joined Dec 9, 2023

Thanks for the chapter! Also lol that group jumped the gun in their congratulations smh

I'll wait to see how this turns out before making any concrete judgements I think

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

This development is comedy gold (and I say this with love)

RileysticDani
Img_20230402_152744
joined Aug 23, 2022

Ummm... I don't like where this is going to be honest. Like please be something else, please. At least the “incest” plot in Citrus they are half sisters that didn't grow up together or were raised by their parents, they were strangers, Mei and Yuzu's parents relationship is weird, not the point. Here, in sasakoi if they are going that pat is blood related incest, it's gonna ruin this story for me.

Adding I was expecting a messy story with HajimexMomoka and being in love with the girlfriend of your deceased sister.... please no incestplot.

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

• If Miki is in love with Shiho, what a tirefire that would be. Another car crash to Shiho's collection.

• If Miki is in love with Aki, well, that's incest, but I don't really mind a bit of love between sisters, so I don't think that would be quite as crazy from a comedy/drama perspective.

• The most boring and fairly unlikely outcome is that Miki is not in love with anyone at all, or is actually in love with Ayaka-senpai and is just mad Aki and the other girls kind of jumped the gun on that confession there. I'd also lump "Miki is genuinely straight or asexual" into this boring category as well.

• The fourth option and true wildcard is that Miki is in love with another established character, and that could go any which way.

Ummm... I don't like where this is going to be honest. Like please be something else, please. At least the “incest” plot in Citrus they are half sisters that didn't grow up together or were raised by their parents, they were strangers, Mei and Yuzu's parents relationship is weird, not the point. Here, in sasakoi if they are going that pat is blood related incest, it's gonna ruin this story for me.

Adding I was expecting a messy story with HajimexMomoka and being in love with the girlfriend of your deceased sister.... please no incestplot.

Who knows? We might get a "they're not blood-related" plot twist here as well.

last edited at May 20, 2024 4:18PM

joined Apr 6, 2013

Haha, now this will be a fun arc, we thought Shiho was controversial, but this might break a few

joined Apr 6, 2013

• If Miki is in love with Shiho, what a tirefire that would be. Another car crash to Shiho's collection.

• If Miki is in love with Aki, well, that's incest, but I don't really mind a bit of love between sisters, so I don't think that would be quite as crazy from a comedy/drama perspective.

• The most boring and fairly unlikely outcome is that Miki is not in love with anyone at all, or is actually in love with Ayaka-senpai and is just mad Aki and the other girls kind of jumped the gun on that confession there. I'd also lump "Miki is genuinely straight or asexual" into this boring category as well.

• The fourth option and true wildcard is that Miki is in love with another established character, and that could go any which way.

Who knows? We might get a "they're not blood-related" plot twist here as well.

It's 100% She is in love with her sister, she was gushing over her when she was first introduced

_kurisu_nyan
X10
joined Jul 14, 2017

wtf...?

To reply you must either login or sign up.