Forum › Whispering You a Love Song discussion

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Why is the title of the manga "Whispering YOU a Love Song", but in the anime it becomes "Whispering ME a Love Song"?

JP manga: Translates Japanese title to "Whispering You a Love Song".
Kodansha: Licenses manga in English as "Whisper Me a Love Song".
Anime: Uses licensed English title cos international consistency.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

All my language instincts scream that "Whisper Me a Love Song" should be written slightly differently in Japanese, but I don't quite know that language well enough to be 100% sure.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Why is the title of the manga "Whispering YOU a Love Song", but in the anime it becomes "Whispering ME a Love Song"?

JP manga: Translates Japanese title to "Whispering You a Love Song".
Kodansha: Licenses manga in English as "Whisper Me a Love Song".
Anime: Uses licensed English title cos international consistency.

And French use the JP title.

G
joined Jan 12, 2021

Talking about the anime:

EP1 of the anime was great, the animation and quality of the artwork were better than I expected. The voices also match the characters well, the singing felt a little off to me at first because the voice sounded a little too different, but the second time she (Yori) sang at the rooftop with Himari, it was amazing.

I liked the scene where the SS Girls were sitting down and their legs were each positioned differently which shows a bit of character/personality for each of them.

I thought there could have been more chibi moments, but that's okay. What I can't get over is how few puppy ears we saw. It was only one time... I hope they show it more often in the next episodes.

The Yori VA is incredible, when Himari asks Yori if it's okay for her to sing, and she makes this "Ah..." noise, it's perfect. Also, the scene where Himari says she will be at the rooftop every day, I loved the voice acting there from the two of them and the cute background music.

I was surprised that the ED showed the tension between Aki and Shiho, will that even fit in those twelve episodes?

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Shiho swooning over Aki is great. Talk about a "gap." I imagine Shiho nearly fainted when Aki said, "That's my girl." Plus Aki is also clearly, very much enjoying this dating thing and predictably wears the pants in this relationship. Watching Aki flirt Shiho into submission will always be funny to me.

EP1 of the anime was great, the animation and quality of the artwork were better than I expected. The voices also match the characters well, the singing felt a little off to me at first because the voice sounded a little too different, but the second time she (Yori) sang at the rooftop with Himari, it was amazing.

Do we have to spoiler tag anime stuff? Anyway, I agree. It was really nice.

I was surprised that the ED showed the tension between Aki and Shiho, will that even fit in those twelve episodes?

Remember Shiho comes in very early (chapter 15), so it would be harder (and odd pacing) not to have her and Aki's dynamics as part of a 12-episode season. Edit: and I think the first episode adapted about 3 chapters already. There's not much happening earlier in the manga. So it can easily breeze by a few chapters each episode.

last edited at Apr 18, 2024 11:57PM

joined Feb 11, 2022

Nice chapter. At least Shiho acknowledged that Aki was too carefree with her proposal.

G
joined Jan 12, 2021

SHIHO IS A DISASTER LESBIAN AND AKI IS HAVING FUN TEASING HER AND I AM PERFECTLY NORMAL ABOUT THAT STUFF.

Remember Shiho comes in very early (chapter 15), so it would be harder (and odd pacing) not to have her and Aki's dynamics as part of a 12-episode season.

I hope you are right, I've been deliriously assuming that the anime will end right when Shiho appears at the end of Chapter 15 for some reason...

I noticed a small difference in EP1 from the manga where, in the scene in which the SSGIRLS are talking about Yori's feelings to Himari in the classroom, Aki does a surprised gaze once Yori spills her feelings. The reader only knows about Aki's feelings towards Yori a little later in the manga, right? But the anime is already setting that up in EP1. At least, that's what I assume the gaze would imply to a non-manga reader.

Maybe we'll see something like that in some Shiho scenes as well? I'm not sure how "obvious" Shiho was to manga readers as the chapters were originally coming out because I'm biased; I already knew about the whole "enemies to lovers" thing that was going to happen between AkiShiho before I started reading.

Img_20151224_170313
joined Feb 21, 2016

Shiho wanting to thank Kyou with nice flowers got me :') this chapter is so sweet

last edited at Apr 19, 2024 1:04AM

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

At least Shiho acknowledged that Aki was too carefree with her proposal.

Also, Aki is consistent, she kinda forgot that Shiho wanted to get away from her after her feelings were unrequited, and just assumes that she'd have kept the pictures. I love it, and remembering how they both are make me very happy they found each other.

Fjavttcwyaqbvef
joined Feb 3, 2023

I noticed a small difference in EP1 from the manga where, in the scene in which the SSGIRLS are talking about Yori's feelings to Himari in the classroom, Aki does a surprised gaze once Yori spills her feelings. The reader only knows about Aki's feelings towards Yori a little later in the manga, right? But the anime is already setting that up in EP1. At least, that's what I assume the gaze would imply to a non-manga reader.

Yup, I'm watching the anime with a couple of friends that never read the manga and they picked up on it "oooh blonde girl is jealous!" It was obvious haha

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

I heard that Seto Asami (Yori's VA) is not the one who sings SSGIRLS' songs. If that's true, then why doesn't the studio just let Asami sing instead of hiring more people (or hire a VA who can both voice and sing, many VAs meet those two conditions).

joined Mar 14, 2021

I can't wait for Aki's reaction when she finds out Shiho threw away the photos. Lol poor Shiho.

Oh, also, I hope Aki gets a little jealous of Shiho giving another girl pretty flowers x)

last edited at Apr 19, 2024 9:46AM

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I can't wait for Aki's reaction when she finds out Shiho threw away the photos. Lol poor Shiho.

Guess they'll have to make new ones.

Screenshot%202022-05-05%20at%2020.52.05%20copy
joined Sep 23, 2021

I heard that Seto Asami (Yori's VA) is not the one who sings SSGIRLS' songs. If that's true, then why doesn't the studio just let Asami sing instead of hiring more people (or hire a VA who can both voice and sing, many VAs meet those two conditions).

that is weird if so, since she can definitely sing. or at least she was in an idol anime (ongaku shoujo) and i'm pretty sure has done several theme songs for other shows.

separately, i always knew under the tough exterior shiho was the softest gayest maiden and it's adorable

last edited at Apr 19, 2024 10:01AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Way too adorable. ^_^

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Might be the records company on the production committee wanting to promote their artist, or maybe there were some other circumstances meaning Asami couldn't do the singing parts.
For clarification, the singing voice for SSGIRLS (or SSGILRS as it is hilariously mispelled in ep1's credits) is Kana Sasakura (so maybe they chose her for the "sasayaku" wordplay).

last edited at Apr 19, 2024 1:58PM

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Ok, watched the first episode 3 times, re-read the first 6 chapters (and a few key ones later on): I had forgotten how cute Yori is/was in the whole first arc. I loved that "gap moe" between the cool, lady-killer senpai and being vulnerable, clumsy, and downright useless at times. It's been almost 5 years since I started the manga so my memory was rusty. Also, looking back at the first few chapters there was a bit of an art shift/early installment weirdness because Yori looks almost unrecognizable compared to later on, and I think the anime skewed towards the "later on" style. I feel like the change really became obvious around the time Shiho properly appeared, and looking back, after that point Yori's face looked much more like Shiho's than at the beginning of the manga. (I know a lot of people's lasting impression of this manga is Shiho's resting bitch face, whether they like her or not)

They could double-dip and let Seto-san cover the song later and release that as a "character song" CD or something. Yori will have another song to sing later on that Seto-san can do, and depending on how far they adapt Aki will be singing something too.

Shiho wanting to thank Kyou with nice flowers got me :') this chapter is so sweet

I stupidly thought she meant getting flowers for Aki...

Remember Shiho comes in very early (chapter 15), so it would be harder (and odd pacing) not to have her and Aki's dynamics as part of a 12-episode season. Edit: and I think the first episode adapted about 3 chapters already. There's not much happening earlier in the manga. So it can easily breeze by a few chapters each episode.

I feel like it's a bit of a dilemma in that 12 episodes won't be enough to adapt all the way to the end of the Shiho drama (Chapter 44) without a lot of skipping, but stopping at the YoriHima relationship upgrade at Chapter 15 would be too slow.

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 4:28PM

G
joined Jan 12, 2021

It's not just her, Shiho also has a separate VA just like Yori: Sui Mizukami.

For clarification, the singing voice for SSGIRLS (or SSGILRS as it is hilariously mispelled in ep1's credits) is Kana Sasakura (so maybe they chose her for the "sasayaku" wordplay).

Now I'm confused, I was under the assumption that Kana Sasakura sang everything that played in EP1, which includes the ED song. Did Asami Seto sing the song Yori played on the rooftop at the end of EP1?

Also, looking back at the first few chapters there was a bit of an art shift/early installment weirdness because Yori looks almost unrecognizable compared to later on, and I think the anime skewed towards the "later on" style.

I thought the same because I also went back after seeing that small difference in the scene I posted above to confirm that it was exclusive to the anime. The manga looked a lot cuter art style-wise. It became "cooler" and "sharper", so to speak, as time went on and still to this day. Personally, I prefer the later/current style. I also can't help but think it's Takeshima Eku-sensei's signature style. You know when mangakas draw each other's characters, and you can tell who is the artist of the piece based on the art style alone? That's what I mean by signature style.

joined Jun 3, 2020

Episode 2 is out and Volume 1 has been fully adapted. Does this means every episode will adapt half a volume and the anime will end at Volume 6? Not necessarily.

Remember that Chapter 2 was Chapter 1, but from Yori's POV. Since the anime can freely switch the point of view, it adapted the two chapters together, which took less time than the amount of pages suggests. So I don't think we should conclude already that every volume will only take 2 episodes to be adapted. And personally, I don't want to see them trying to do that, not only because of the usual concerns about rushing the plot, but also because doing so may mean we will have less time to see them performing.

Also, I just noticed the festival mini-arc doesn't even end in Volume 6, it ends in the first chapter of Volume 7. More pages to rush through!

My current guess is that the anime will cover the first 5 volumes and finish at the start of the sixth, after the bet is made. People here already pointed out that there is no good stopping point since Shiho's arc is so long. So if there is no "things have ended for now" moment we could go for a "things are heating up" moment to build hype for the manga and a possible season 2.

last edited at Apr 20, 2024 11:54PM

G
joined Jan 12, 2021

My current guess is that the anime will cover the first 5 volumes and finish at the start of the sixth, after the bet is made.

Same here, I think it'll be similar to YagaKimi where the characters kept talking about the play that would happen but then the anime ended and we never got to see it, here they will probably start talking about the concert contest and the whole deal AkiShiho made based on who wins, but I'm expecting the anime to end around the time before that concert happens.

About EP2: It appears that since Vol.1 of the manga released, LINE added a feature to add friends via scanning a QR Code, the anime got changed to show this instead since supposedly the feature to "put the phones together" became obsolete? It's fun to see the anime change to keep up with what's happening IRL.

Also, that QR Code on Yori's phone does work, it shows a text in Japanese that says "Thank you for watching Whisper Me a Love Song!" if you scan it.

EP2 overall was nice but it only made me want more, at least there is something to look forward to every weekend.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

About EP2: It appears that since Vol.1 of the manga released, LINE added a feature to add friends via scanning a QR Code, the anime got changed to show this instead since supposedly the feature to "put the phones together" became obsolete? It's fun to see the anime change to keep up with what's happening IRL.
Also, that QR Code on Yori's phone does work, it shows a text in Japanese that says "Thank you for watching Whisper Me a Love Song!" if you scan it.

RIP the Shakey Shake

last edited at Apr 21, 2024 12:42AM

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I also noticed in one of the recent chapters Aki had wireless earbuds when she was making that call to Shiho, which were already a big thing back when the manga first came out, but got even bigger since then.

G
joined Jan 12, 2021

Randomly saw this and I just had to share it here:

A

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

Just finished watching ep 3, the quality has dropped alarmingly low. I hope the next eps will improve, but as if ep 3, the situation is not good at all

joined Feb 11, 2022

Just finished watching ep 3, the quality has dropped alarmingly low. I hope the next eps will improve, but as if ep 3, the situation is not good at all

It was completely outsourced to a small studio, so a drop in quality was inevitable. And it won't be the last time it happens.
Considering how successful the manga is, I expected a much better adaptation than the ones that Yuri is My Job! and Villaines had, but it seems that won't be the case.

To reply you must either login or sign up.