Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

What does "I'M LIKE A BEAUTIFUL GUY WITH A BEAUTIFUL STAR." even mean?
I have never heard this line before.

joined Jul 8, 2019

Well, I'll be damn, a Comic Soundtrack just showed up...

thank you

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

“If you ask me, I’m more into—”

Now I don’t wanna jump to conclusions or stereotype here, but…

Judging by certain contents of his backpack seen in those bonus illustrations and the fact that he apparently uses the feminine “wa” sentence particle in Japanese…

Mayhaps we got a bit o’ bi on our hands?

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

What does "I'M LIKE A BEAUTIFUL GUY WITH A BEAUTIFUL STAR." even mean?
I have never heard this line before.

Me either. Is it some kind of cultural idiom that I've just never seen directly translated? Would love to see translator notes.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I fixed that. The line was super confusing in JP, so I changed it to something more sensible.

last edited at Apr 21, 2024 10:07AM

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

The love-watcher (Cupid)

last edited at Apr 21, 2024 10:39AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Just wingman things.

My%20god
joined Dec 27, 2014

Narita is matchmaker-sexual. He gets off on getting other people together.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

lmao not Joe being angry he could get outrizzed by Narita. poor uncle xD

last edited at Apr 21, 2024 12:20PM

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

So Narita prefers to be the matchmaker

joined Mar 22, 2024

Narita gay? I'd love that for him

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

Narita gay? I'd love that for him

No, he's a voyeur. Could be ace, could be gay, could be straight, but he enjoys watching others.

joined Dec 19, 2023

Narita likes to watch

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Aya and Mitsuki are getting "in-tents", lol... Well someone had to say it.

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

They don't have insect repellant, fly paper, incense burners?

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

“If you ask me, I’m more into—”

The logical missing word will be "guys". "watching people's relationship" or "shipping" would not truly match the question that the uncle has asked.

Now I don’t wanna jump to conclusions or stereotype here, but…

Judging by certain contents of his backpack seen in those bonus illustrations and the fact that he apparently uses the feminine “wa” sentence particle in Japanese…

Plus the way he is drawn. He looks gay or bi, as opposed to be cis-male straight.

Mayhaps we got a bit o’ bi on our hands?

I always wonder if he is gay. The signs are all there. He does not behave like a typical straight cis-male.

This of course has nothing to do with him being a shipper. But I do not think this is what in his mind in response to Uncle's question, that is, I think his answer is about sexual orientation.

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 2:12AM

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Narita Megumu, professional lighthouse keeper, guiding the ships.

last edited at Apr 21, 2024 8:20PM

Tail_nap_by_twokinds-dc7pz78
joined Aug 11, 2016

Bro just wants to watch everyone else's relationships develop

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

I think that with the success of this work, the gay shenanigans had to take a backseat because the main sponsors of Sumiko have become the music industry (mainly Universal Music Japan) and not the manga industry or the yuri fandom.

She's been enrolled to promote Universal's catalog in Japan, not to promote the gay agenda.

For her sponsors, the gay is secondary. It's cute and it adds some appeal to the manga, but it's not the main theme anymore.

The first part focused on Aya and Mitsuki and the gender misunderstanding, but once it was out of the way, the second part focused mostly on music, because it's what pays the bills for Sumiko. So she toned down the romance (still keeping the rizz moments) and propped up the western music side.

So I wouldn't expect any actual onscreen kiss or definite gay thing, because it's become too big for that unfortunately, even if Sumiko has not shied away from the gay in the past.

That’s disgusting, I hope the yuri fans are smart enough to leave now that it’s seemingly going nowhere

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

With 83 chapters, that are only four pages each, and no actual romance this has to be the definitive crown for slowest slowburn I’ve ever seen for a Yuri at the very least. I definitely wouldn’t say it’s bait or anything but I can understand why a some people aren’t on board with how slowly it’s playing out

After catching up /rereading myself I definitely think it’s bait. Run for the hills people ur getting used and abused

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

Kadokawa themselves are marketing this as a love story so at least there's that.
link:: https://x.com/Kadobunofficial/status/1779706221894766991

They marketing to sell it. For that matter, Futari Escape was marketed as them being girlfriends despite nothing ever being said on that.

Nothing except the author saying they didn't feel the need to spell things out bc it was published in Yuri hime.

Things don't always need to be written in bolded, flashing neon letters to be true.

100% true but what authors consider "yuri" varies quite a bit and doesn't always match up with what most people here would want. You'd also normally want the series to stand on its own without needing to reference it's publication or an authors' comments on Twitter.

Having said that, I do expect this series to be a bit more straightforward eventually, even if it does have a lot it's working with and balancing. It's slower, yeah but I'd still be surprised if it doesn't get there, despite her comments.

That's how I feel about this story too, I initially thought we'd have volume 1 representing Koga's POV mainly, Vol 2 representing Aya's, then Vol 3 would be where things get serious.

Though the story is taking its time fleshing out characters (which I think is awesome, I don't like it when the main focus is on the 2 MCs, everyone else is Henohenomoheji), there is still a lot we don't know yet about the main cast. I can't explain why but I really think the 'real' romance will only truly start once Aya knows what's up with Koga's past + family, we're talking about the reason why Joe and Kanna had to break up:

Aya'll know what's up > she'll help Koga open up > Koga will be comfortable with the idea of sharing her true self + music > social link rank 9, romance enabled lol.

I don’t think the authors fleshing out characters think she’s just stretching the series as long as possible with taking 0 financial risk

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

I think that with the success of this work, the gay shenanigans had to take a backseat because the main sponsors of Sumiko have become the music industry (mainly Universal Music Japan) and not the manga industry or the yuri fandom.

She's been enrolled to promote Universal's catalog in Japan, not to promote the gay agenda.

For her sponsors, the gay is secondary. It's cute and it adds some appeal to the manga, but it's not the main theme anymore.

The first part focused on Aya and Mitsuki and the gender misunderstanding, but once it was out of the way, the second part focused mostly on music, because it's what pays the bills for Sumiko. So she toned down the romance (still keeping the rizz moments) and propped up the western music side.

So I wouldn't expect any actual onscreen kiss or definite gay thing, because it's become too big for that unfortunately, even if Sumiko has not shied away from the gay in the past.

That’s disgusting, I hope the yuri fans are smart enough to leave now that it’s seemingly going nowhere

The author said from the beginning that she doesn't consider it a yuri. It was never intended to pander to that fandom. It's a cute story about relatable characters, rock music, and Japanified Americana and I still love tuning in every week

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

The author said from the beginning that she doesn't consider it a yuri. It was never intended to pander to that fandom. It's a cute story about relatable characters, rock music, and Japanified Americana and I still love tuning in every week

She didn't really say that.

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 12:42PM

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

And thus the debate has come full circle

joined Aug 12, 2022

How can you reread the story, take into consideration the extra pictures we got during breaks depicting their future and STILL say this is not a romance story? Reading her interviews I got the impression that she just don't really like the label "yuri", not that this wasn't romance.

Narita: I'm more into witnessing romance unfold (aya x mitsuki / joe x Kanna).
Some readers: NOOOO this is bait, the author wasted 2 years of our lives, we should riot!

To reply you must either login or sign up.