Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Just kiss already. KISS GODDAMIT!

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

All the comments made on October 8 2023 ARE BASED AF

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I kept putting off reading this one, I guess because of the tags and the fanservice-y promotional visuals, but I ended up bingeing the whole thing yesterday.

It’s certainly an odd combination of wholesome iyashikei storytelling and bigtime Male Gaze visuals, and there’s no reason Akebi isn’t an annoyingly perfect genki girl, except she’s not. Sure, it’s “Everybody Loves Akebi,” but the author does a pretty good job of showing why they do.

The voyeuristic aspects seem to be as much about the author’s fetish for figure-drawing and body language as it is about lewdness (although there’s some of that too). It reminds me a bit of the virtuoso body-language drawing in Hana ni Arashi, only with the volume turned up to 11, and the author’s background in animation on full display. I take some consolation in the fact that Akebi’s parents also get the full fanservice treatment, so it’s not just middle-schoolers’ bodies on display. (Is there a hotter Wholesome Mom than Akebi’s in all of manga?)

I’m going to need to re-read this to get all the characters straight in my head, but I’m finding the story totally enjoyable and it’s been showing surprising emotional depth in the last couple of volumes.

At some point there probably needs to be an Akebi-Erika “You know what sex is, right? And that two girls can have it?” conversation, because that certainly seems to be the long-term destination. (Smokin’-Hot Mom with the girls’-school-prince haircut might have some insight to share in this area.)

last edited at Oct 16, 2023 3:59AM

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

At some point there probably needs to be an Akebi-Erika “You know what sex is, right? And that two girls can have it?” conversation, because that certainly seems to be the long-term destination. (Smokin’-Hot Mom with the girls’-school-prince haircut might have some insight to share in this area.)

I have no basis for this, but I'm 100% sure that both of Akebi’s parents are raging bisexuals that saw a lot of action before settling down.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I have no basis for this, but I'm 100% sure that both of Akebi’s parents are raging bisexuals that saw a lot of action before settling down.

It’s just a vibe, but I see what you’re sayin’.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

And let's not forget the smoking hot sensei

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

soooo...that subtext tag. This is getting so good. I loved the Akebi x Erika moment, but I gotta say Nawashiro corrupting our pure Touko was particularly enjoyable haha.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

We're getting spoiled with them quality confessions lately. They're so cute~ I really oughta give this one a proper read-through beginning to end

Cdcb45166f5d7f864387f38076826b5fa05f1e50182f6f94e614be4b5810c622
joined Oct 21, 2019

Yeah I don't think this can be called subtext anymore. I can't think of a single heterosexual explanation for Akebi saying that her performance in this explicitly romantic play isn't an act but her genuine feelings towards Erika. If that isn't yuri then I don't know what is.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

We're reaching Xena warrior princess riding a freaking rainbow colored unicorn levels of sapphic tension here XD Like, oh my god, they're either the best actors ever or this is totally love and there's zero acting required.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

This is extreme subtext, we're talking triple backflip into rings of flames with both hands cuffed kind of extreme!

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

We're reaching Xena warrior princess riding a freaking rainbow colored unicorn levels of sapphic tension here XD Like, oh my god, they're either the best actors ever or this is totally love and there's zero acting required.

It can't be acting, because Akebi and Erika have admired and been attracted to each other pretty much as long as they've known each other. They're huge stans of each other, really. Acting was just a closet key or match that lit the fuse.

As far as I can see, this is just subtext flowing into plain text, which is a sign of well made subtextual story. Letting actions and context speak for themselves, and then when it happens, it feels like an emotional and natural extension of the plot.

None of this means Akebi and Erika become a couple, of course.

last edited at Nov 27, 2023 5:10PM

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

there's really only so many chapters where I can repeat "wow this is getting really gay" but like wow...

I'm waiting to see how this arc ends because it can end well, it can end badly, and it can push this relationship further down the line.

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

Like, if this ends up being a fake-out, it's going to be immeasurably disappointing.

Yumi%20sachiko%20kiss%201
joined Apr 6, 2017

It can't be acting, because Akebi and Erika have admired and been attracted to each other pretty much as long as they've known each other. They're huge stans of each other, really. Acting was just a closet key or match that lit the fuse.

As far as I can see, this is just subtext flowing into plain text, which is a sign of well made subtextual story. Letting actions and context speak for themselves, and then when it happens, it feels like an emotional and natural extension of the plot.

None of this means Akebi and Erika become a couple, of course.

Remember a chapter a while back Akebi told Erika she would fall in love for real to be able to play her character in the play. They have fully internalized the roles going past just method acting and making it their actual real life. Things are gonna come down to after the play will they be able to go back to just close friends or will they even want to.

Yes_pfp
joined Oct 30, 2021

These past couple of chapters really make me go "what the fuck IS a kilometer?"

Sackboypal478!
joined Sep 11, 2022

Okay, just...this entire chapter...just made my entire day.

I've been cheering on Komichi and Erika since the very beginning. Seeing them like this...Komichi and Erika basically admitting they love each other...today just became the best day ever over here.

Utterly happy for those two.

20210727_225006
joined Dec 9, 2021

Oh.....so, it's officially yuri?

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Oh.....so, it's officially yuri?

Yes.

Hololive%2032
joined May 1, 2018

And now I wait again... OH, THE AGONY~~~~

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Omg omg omg omg omg IT'S HAPPENING!

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Remember a chapter a while back Akebi told Erika she would fall in love for real to be able to play her character in the play. They have fully internalized the roles going past just method acting and making it their actual real life. Things are gonna come down to after the play will they be able to go back to just close friends or will they even want to.

Thats how I see it too. Akebi is so serious, its hard to say 100% for sure that it isnt like method acting thats gone a bit too far for her- and I dont mean its all acting, but her trying to connect real feelings into her role - and what will that mean once the role is over? Can she just set it all aside? And how is Erika taking it? She didnt make that promise and also she's not said anything for sure to take it beyond still possibly being all/mostly the act.

I do think they both seem to have real romantic feelings - but the 'act' gives the author an obvious easy out - that I hope they dont take.

last edited at Nov 28, 2023 3:40AM

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

I hope Erika would keep that hairstyle.

Electric%20(1)
joined Jul 15, 2020

Akebi saying she wants to stay with Erika forever is difbslrhajdg. Man. I seriously don't think we're backing away from this.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Wow.

To reply you must either login or sign up.