Forum › Haru and Midori discussion

joined Sep 9, 2015

...in a few days it's my dad's birthday. He died 10 years ago...

Thank you so much for sharing. I teared up a little at your story, and I can understand the value of such things as you described them. Emotions are a funny thing...

I do wonder how Midori and Tsugumi fell apart. How Tsugumi felt about Midori--... well, things point into the direction of romantic interest, but then she went and got herself preggers? Hnn... I am sure, we'll get to find out, eventually. (Maybe the father has an appearance later on, to fill in some of these gaps.)

I'm going to say that they probably just fell out of touch. It could be as simple as that. Tsugumi's dialogue gives off hints that she has a fondness for Midori (which makes this story just so much sadder to read), but obviously this was never explored and probably just left alone.

My first (real) love was a girl I confessed to in high school pretty much after graduation... and I got rejected, heh. Nicely, at least. Years later, I've run into her randomly twice (like no joke random; we were coming back to the USA from international flights from different countries), but nothing after that. But her parents recognize me, and attend the place I work at, so they told me she has two daughters now. I don't even know what her last name is now, but I idly wonder sometimes if her daughters look much like her. Maybe I might find out someday.
Thanks for listening, friends.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Thanks for listening, friends.

I think, this is one of these stories that can touch many people who experienced loss on many different levels.
Such personal loss is not limited to death... but can linger and impact us just as much.
Sharing these stories may not be directly refering to the manga in question, but I hope the mods agree that it's still on-topic, when we talk about our experiences - relating to the manga, premise and characters...

I'm going to say that they probably just fell out of touch. It could be as simple as that. Tsugumi's dialogue gives off hints that she has a fondness for Midori (which makes this story just so much sadder to read), but obviously this was never explored and probably just left alone.

Yeah, I wonder... They seemed mutually close. Tsugumi was popular and had had other 'associates'. How old where they during these flashbacks? Middle School / Junior High School spans from 12/13 to 15/16?
Tsugumi had Haru when she was 17, so she got pregnant only a few months after graduation.... (There's a slim chance she got pregnant during school, too. But I don't know the exact school-enrollment age-range/-tolerance.)
I get the sense the implication is, that Tsugumi and Midori were close until graduation, at least.

I dunno, I know that them girls easily fall apart after graduation, going to different schools or just because life happens. But somehow it sticks out to me how Tsugumi still saved Midori's contact but they never so much as spoke again - and how Midori knew she'd never see Tsugumi after graduation ever again.
Yet Midori impacted Tsugumi so much she seemed to have talked a lot about her to her daughter... So much Haru recognized her without being introduced!

There seems to be a lot of family issues going on for Tsugumi; (the no bento might be important foreshadowing,) running away, teen-pregnancy, disinherantance, divorce... no friends, and her parents didn't come to her funeral and nobody but the aunt cared for Haru - and even the aunt seemed easily convinced to hand Haru off to what's basically a total stranger, possibly implying that while she's one of the nicer or at least more responsible people, she didn't have much contact with Tsugumi and the child either, lacking a personal connection (having kids of her own, if a relative was raised alonggside them, one may feel much more responsible and attached to them - even if that means to take care for an additional kid).

I wonder, if Tsugumi's life-story won't turn out to be even more sad and hurtful than her passing away and the resulting loss we see the characters now going through...
(Not sure how much of that may have rubbed off on Haru; Tsugumi as a working-mother still seemed to have been a very caring and loving mother for her, likely sheltering (preparing?) her as much as she could from her own fall-out.)

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Does this really become an age gap romance? It doesn't feel like it, and I kinda don't want it to, the way things have gone.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Does this really become an age gap romance? It doesn't feel like it, and I kinda don't want it to, the way things have gone.

No it doesn't become a romance,at least no now.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Amazeballs chapter. I love the way grieving is portrayed here. Yes, Haru, cry it all out...

Gay
joined Jun 13, 2016

God this makes me cry with every chapter

Bgs_icon-small
joined Apr 11, 2018

Man, I've never been happier to see the "tsuzuku."

This really felt like an end chapter, but I want more.

Carmilla%20reading
joined Sep 15, 2015

Well, this finally done it... I cried on chap 7

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Youko seem to a really supportive mom.

10455963_830638436992044_5645511050433336598_n
joined Jun 27, 2019

Sweet chapters. I like Midori's mom, thoughtful and understanding.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

That cover image is so cute! Really nice to see Haru just looking like a normal 14 year old.

joined Jan 6, 2017

The more this goes on, the less I want them to end up together.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Seconded.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Families of choice are the best. (Good families of birth are too.)

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Seconded.

Exactly. What they have going is great so far without the romance.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Kaa-san is good people.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Seconded.

You know that when in manga A starts cooking for B, they are practically married. The conclusion is obvious.

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

Where can I get a Youko-san? So adorable.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

wonderful chapter~ Thank you for translating this manga!

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

Mom looks younger or if not, looks same age at least as her daughter..lol

last edited at Aug 11, 2019 1:20PM

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Seconded.

Same here. This chapter is so wholesome ♥

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There's no reason to get ahead of ourselves on the possibility of romance--the story isn't.

When a good writer seems to have things well in hand, I'm inclined to just let it roll without putting too many expectations on the ultimate outcome.

Appealing characters, grown-up writing, attention to detail, nice pacing on the episodes--steady as she goes, as far as I'm concerned.

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

don't be surprised if there is romance though...authors seem to love doing that >.>; apparently if you're not blood related and you live with someone you HAVE to fall in love. now i will go on pretending the last few chapters of usagi drop never existed. STUPIDEST choice an author has ever made that i've ever read.

joined May 30, 2016

I'm really loving this one but it really hits close to home for me. Haru's reaction to her mother's death just felt so real in that she really doesn't know what to make of it. Actually, looking back, it seems that her nonchalant acceptance is due to the fact that her mother wasn't really all that present in her life as she said but she still hopes that maybe one day she'll be home. Almost made me cry that part.

I agree with the comments that romance seems unfitting at the moment, but we'll see how it turns out. Though honestly, the way things are laid out, I'm hoping that romance is not the way they're going.

As a sidenote, I had trouble focusing on the story in the first few chapters because I kept seeing Midori as Pandoria.

Lilium
joined Aug 29, 2018

We're having a lot of Haru and Midori lately. Not that I mind. At all.

To reply you must either login or sign up.