Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

Oh get down off the cross, we need the wood.

What's up with all the idiots trying to challenge your moderation lately? On the one hand it's kinda hilarious to see people think shitting on the moderation will convince them to change the rules or something but on the other hand it's been frequent enough lately that it's getting kinda old too.

last edited at Dec 4, 2016 11:04PM

joined Oct 20, 2013

If anyone is wondering why the break was much longer than I had originally anticipated, we had cleaned scans good to go by the end of last year. The translator for this series then also had to take a few months off. It's a big priority (both pragmatically and altruistically) that a TL or editor who has worked continuously on a series for such a long time should be given a lot of time and leeway so they can pick up where they left off, but in the end they did not have the time to come back to the series. In retrospect I waited too long before filling in for them. Lesson learned.

With regards to the name change, Ketsune and I felt that Miss Sunflower was an over-Anglicisation that was at odds with our convention (and everyone else's convention) of preserving honorifics.

joined Aug 14, 2016

I love it. Thanks so much for translating this.

Image_1_small
joined Dec 2, 2016

What a nice surprise! Read through it all again and it's still as lovely as I remember. Thank you for continuing to work on this.

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Hey update! Thanks so much!!!!

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Meigetsu's gaydar is on point. Can't wait for them to actually become an item though.

53229346_p8_master1200
joined Jan 19, 2016

Well another college application decision just came out and i was really down in the dumps so i binged this in the last two hours and this is immediately and forever now one of my favorite manga?!
But it's been 30 chapters and the most we've gotten is blushing and I'm so thirsty, when will they fall in love... even hugging is fine...

Icon%20lily
joined Jan 20, 2015

Wow this sure takes me back

It's like a New Year's gift

Money_marie%202
joined Jan 18, 2017

I can't wait to see the ending

30 years later.

last edited at Jan 30, 2017 1:05PM

joined Sep 15, 2013

This seemed like Miss Sunflower is on the verge of an important realization about the relationship between them, or atleast thats what i am desperately hoping for.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Is there a new translator? It seems odd to switch to 'Himawari san' now after 30 chapters of 'miss sunflower'.

joined Jun 14, 2013

This seemed like Miss Sunflower is on the verge of an important realization about the relationship between them, or atleast thats what i am desperately hoping for.

That's what we're all hoping for I'd think. Like come on such a slow development. Something needs to happen man. Yeesus

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Is there a new translator? It seems odd to switch to 'Himawari san' now after 30 chapters of 'miss sunflower'.

Kawaii mentioned that after the last release: "Oh, before I forget, we decided to change Miss Sunflower’s name to Himawari-san from the next chapter onward. Using Miss Sunflower was decided by the first translator of this series and we kept it this way so far, but the group has changed greatly over the time, and we think that keeping the name more to the original fits better."

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

Amanda9708 posted:

That's what we're all hoping for I'd think. Like come on such a slow development. Something needs to happen man. Yeesus

All things considered the two of them getting together is really not what the manga is about so Shikata ga nai desu... But I agree, and feel bad for it

Download202001sdsfsfdsfsdfdsfdsfs02154639
joined Apr 18, 2016

I never was able to get into this series. It just goes on and on and nothing ever happens. People are waiting with baited breath for literally the most basic of developments.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

All things considered the two of them getting together is really not what the manga is about so Shikata ga nai desu... But I agree, and feel bad for it

Is it really not about that? Obviously, its about her trying to become a different version of Miss Sunflower, but its also about her becoming more open about her feelings and how she deals with them. Yeah, we might not see them kiss or live happily together since Miss Sunflower's character is not like that at all, but we might see the realization that Matsuri is more important to her than she realizes and that she's the only one that makes her feel something different.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I never was able to get into this series. It just goes on and on and nothing ever happens. People are waiting with baited breath for literally the most basic of developments.

But a lot of us are NOT waiting with baited breath for something to happen. That's not to say we wouldn't LOVE it if it did lol - but it is just a laid back manga about miss sunflower and a girl who is in love with her - but not specifically about a romance. It could become one, but I never got much of an impression it would.

It's like Amber tea house - and I expect a similar ending - minus the confession. But that doesn't make it bad - not every manga has to be a romance story - just enjoy it for the characters and setting and not expecting and getting impatient for anything in particular.

last edited at Jan 30, 2017 3:12PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Is it really not about that? Obviously, its about her trying to become a different version of Miss Sunflower, but its also about her becoming more open about her feelings and how she deals with them. Yeah, we might not see them kiss or live happily together since Miss Sunflower's character is not like that at all, but we might see the realization that Matsuri is more important to her than she realizes and that she's the only one that makes her feel something different.

You are right it IS about miss sunflower opening up and rediscovering life after the original miss sunflowers death bought miss sunflowers life to a stand still. And it IS Matsuri who is the catalyst for it.

You are also right that miss sunflower seems to be coming aware of Matsuri's importance to her in her life. BUT- I never saw yet a hint it was in a romantic way from her side. But more of a get Matsuri to stay with her - work in the bookshop etc because she is really important to her way.

Maybe with that realization will come romantic feelings - I hope they do! Just the author hasn't shown us anything like that yet.

last edited at Jan 30, 2017 3:16PM

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

Kal3d posted:

Oversimplying here but to me it's more about the journey, personal growth, the time they spend together, developing bonds... The romantic feelings are at the core of it all, but they're also almost incidental in a way

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

You are right it IS about miss sunflower opening up and rediscovering life after the original miss sunflowers death bought miss sunflowers life to a stand still. And it IS Matsuri who is the catalyst for it.

You are also right that miss sunflower seems to be coming aware of Matsuri's importance to her in her life. BUT- I never saw yet a hint it was in a romantic way from her side. But more of a get Matsuri to stay with her - work in the bookshop etc because she is really important to her way.

Maybe with that realization will come romantic feelings - I hope they do! Just the author hasn't shown us anything like that yet.

Miss Sunflower doesn't seem to be the type of person who understands love, so i guess that would be her way of showing her "love" for Matsuri and the best way to end this series without actually showing any explicit romantic displays of affection.

Oversimplying here but to me it's more about the journey, personal growth, the time they spend together, developing bonds... The romantic feelings are at the core of it all, but they're also almost incidental in a way

I think its a good way of simplifying it. But, what i'm trying to say is that Miss Sunflower's romantic feeling might be different than Matsuri's or anyone else and that we would get an ending where her love for Matsuri would be implied in a way that only Matsuri understands.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Miss Sunflower doesn't seem to be the type of person who understands love, so i guess that would be her way of showing her "love" for Matsuri and the best way to end this series without actually showing any explicit romantic displays of affection.

I think its a good way of simplifying it. But, what i'm trying to say is that Miss Sunflower's romantic feeling might be different than Matsuri's or anyone else and that we would get an ending where her love for Matsuri would be implied in a way that only Matsuri understands.

I agree with both of these- I really don't think she does have an understanding or 'feel' for love- though that doesn't mean she can't - just has no experience of it.

And I will be fairly happy if the series ended with Matsuri permanently embedded in the bookshop to stay with miss sunflower :) Because I can well imagine after the ending in a few years when Matsuri is older and wiser, she could end up winning miss sunflower over romantically too :)

Or maybe this story will have a time skip and show it?

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Ah~ this is slowly (no pun intended) becoming one of my all-time favs. That chapter was just so nice. Only Matsuri sees the little difference in Himawari-san. This is my kind of Iyashikei~

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The cat--"What's its name?" "It doesn't have one yet."
Bwahahaha!!!
I'm never sure whether it's more pretentious to explain what people will maybe already know, or not explain what people will maybe not already know. So yeah, "I am a cat", with I believe first line "I am a cat. As yet I have no name." is this famous Japanese literature book that I am vaguely aware of because it gets referenced in manga every so often. So of course the bookseller's cat as yet has no name and this is clearly an in-joke for fellow book people.

last edited at Jan 30, 2017 4:54PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It's like Amber tea house - and I expect a similar ending - minus the confession. But that doesn't make it bad - not every manga has to be a romance story - just enjoy it for the characters and setting and not expecting and getting impatient for anything in particular.

I dunno about that comparison . . . or rather, maybe I agree but draw a contrasting conclusion. Amber Teahouse was mellow and relaxed and often comedic and pretty decidedly nonsexual, but underneath it all, it was solidly about the romance. "The confession" wasn't just something you could minus--the whole thing was always working towards the two of them being so solidly a couple that they had their lives planned together; if marriage had been an option, it would have been pencilled in for some time after the younger half got her pastrymaking certificate.

I do think this is like Amber Teahouse, by which I mean that although I'm enjoying the journey I am firmly expecting the destination--even if there's never a kiss, there will be commitment.

last edited at Jan 30, 2017 4:56PM

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

YEAH AND THAT'S WHY YOU SHOULD LOVE HER

To reply you must either login or sign up.