Forum › Time skip discussion

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

This tag feels like it could do with some sorting out. So I'm gonna start a discussion with the forum about it hopefully.

How much time skip in a work do you think warrants a tag for it? Should it be plot central? Should it be one at the start that takes us to the modern day, or a ending which cuts to years later? Or do you think any single time skip in a release should warrant the tag?

Let me know what you think, as at the minute it seems a odd tag, and I can't quite tell the purpose it serves.

gwennie-chan
67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

I think a Time skip tag is warranted if it outstrips the normal series's (or originating series's, for doujinshi) time progression. It should be a very noticeable time skip.

Slice of life genre stuff generally jumps around within the Japanese calender year (often starting with spring School semesters). For something like that, a Time skip would be warranted if, say, the story jumped ahead six months or more.

In the case of series which span a long amount of time, such as Shoujo legend Itazura na Kiss, the time skip would only be the final episode of the anime where it goes forward at least a few years. The show skips around generally from time to time about six months to a year.

I think a one-shot should merit a Time skip if a large time jump occurs in the story abruptly or if it jumps much farther ahead than the root story (for doujinshi).

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

The... minimum length of the time jump, is rather objective, depends entirely on the context for it to be significant or not.
In the case of slice of life series where they skip from months to seasons to holidays, those are technically time skips, but aren't actually significant to the kind of plot the genre maintains. Like yeah it was Christmas last episode and now Valentine's day, but it doesn't really matter so nobody gaf.
So yeah it should be plot central.

a Time skip would be warranted if, say, the story jumped ahead six months or more.

That's a precise, but random number.
If it was an amount of time that was precisely announced (like your 6 months), chances are a character/the narration states so (i.e. "6 months later"). I think that if the moment it is "stated", that an amount of time has been skipped over idk how else to put it, it is significant.
I disagree with the 6 months minimum because it could very well be like, two ppl have a fight and spend 2 months without speaking to each other, let's say. Mc worries about it at first but because they never spoke until x event for resolution in the plot line, it just skips ahead 2 months.

Judging what is appropriate for the tag is kinda complicated tbh, Time Skip isn't a factual tag like Childhood Friends or School Girl, a part of it depends of your judgement. But usually, when there is a time skip, it's most likely stated/demonstrated, so for those it's pretty safe to "assume", cus it's pretty factual. I can't really propose a minimum because it really depends of the context, if it matters, but then again, if it was like "1 week later", no one would really find it significant enough to bother calling it an actual time skip, because it isn't drastic enough for major change/development/growth.

Anyhow time skip is a precise tag, it can only be applied to individual chapters, unless an entire series' plot has to do with time jumps (and so none exist). Hmm well as for tags go, the only purpose I can give it is more specific labeling, like if somehow, you don't remember the title of a one shot, you'd have to seek out the tags. Perhaps remembering if there is a time skip or not could help.
At the same time tho, when labeling chapters with it, it's a bit of a potential spoiler, cus time skips are always minimally significant to plot, even if it doesn't directly spoil. I haven't caught up in x title let's say, but seeing that the most recent chapter is tagged as Time Skip tilts me a little, as it is a vague hint that in 10 chapters/in that exact chapter, the current arc ends/something big happens.

last edited at May 2, 2016 1:21AM

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Let me know what you think, as at the minute it seems a odd tag, and I can't quite tell the purpose it serves.

Nor can I. It's not a fetish tag, it's not a genre tag, and it's not a content warning. I remember people wanting it on this, but I still don't know why. It's obvious from the second page (which has a sign for a university) that this is taking place several years after the last chapter, and I can't imagine that anybody would either avoid this chapter because it was Time Skip or would find this chapter while perusing through the Time Skip tag.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I can sort of see it being useful if people are searching for a specific story that has a time skip in it, or generally liked time skip stories. But that's only going to be something that crops up occasionally at best.

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

To give a frame of reference for why I'm asking this btw, there was a request to tag this story with Time Skip, because of this panel , which really made me question the entire use of this tag. Like Divulge said, it's not content, genre, fetish, description etc etc. It just tells you that at one page, they skip forward slightly.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

To give a frame of reference for why I'm asking this btw, there was a request to tag this story with Time Skip, because of this panel , which really made me question the entire use of this tag. Like Divulge said, it's not content, genre, fetish, description etc etc. It just tells you that at one page, they skip forward slightly.

Ah, I wouldn't use it for an omake. Something like the end of Candy or Notes From The Garden of Lilies though, it would make more sense.

gwennie-chan
67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

Nezchan posted:

Ah, I wouldn't use it for an omake. Something like the end of Candy or Notes From The Garden of Lilies though, it would make more sense.

Or when I suggested it for the Prunus Girl epilogue chapter because it's valid and everything fits.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

drpepperfan posted:

This tag feels like it could do with some sorting out. So I'm gonna start a discussion with the forum about it hopefully.

How much time skip in a work do you think warrants a tag for it? Should it be plot central? Should it be one at the start that takes us to the modern day, or a ending which cuts to years later? Or do you think any single time skip in a release should warrant the tag?

Honestly imo the only time this tag make sense to include is when time skip occur somewhere during series and after it the plot continues for a good amount. The most common time skips are just few pages or very short chapter/extra at the end of the manga where you get glimpses how future looks for characters, but you don't really read stories hoping for them. Same for series that opens with time skip (I can't really recall any from top of my head), you don't really look for a story that would start a bit in one time and then skip to future. It really feels more like just a way to tell a story when telling entire thing would take too long/author have no space for it.

Because of that tag in general feels kinda pointless cos there is not that much series that have time skip in the middle and they are usually shounen action mangas, as well it would suggest someone actually is looking for a story that contains such skip and I don't really think anyone specifically looks for it, especially since usually it is just a plot device to speed up the progress in manga. Also to me time skip must be at least one/few year(s) long.

And even if just use it as sorta warning or info that at some point story will jump ahead, only thing it would accomplish is probably spoiling story in some way.

last edited at May 2, 2016 5:49PM

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

Hmm, pretty much Nevri. It only seems to be a slight spoiler at best, and meaningless at worst. I'm tempted at the moment to remove it from any chapters of anything that aren't a series with a chapter that skips forward a lot, but I wouldn't want to do something drastic without second opinions.

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

OK, It's been a while, so one last call before I start planning a deletion of the tag: Is there anyone who would like this to stay, and why? Lemme know please.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I have nothing definite, but I kind of like the tag when there's a (for instance) 7 year time skip at the end or something. Also possibly if there were a similar time skip of several years in the middle. In other words, only if it skips a large portion of the characters lives, leaving you wondering what they've been doing all that time.

Still, it's not very important. People aren't likely to go looking for time skip stories, and not many need a warning of it. They'll figure it out fast enough just reading it. So if you think you should delete the tag, I'd say go ahead.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think the tag is pretty optional, so there won't be much effect if you remove it.

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

Sry found the discussion only now and it seems I'm too late since the tag was deleated already. Somehow makes me a bit sad, since i really liked the time skip aspect of stories. For me it doesn't matter if it's half the story or just a panel. A skip in the actual plot of the story is a time skip. So in the example given above the two of the promise to be together years ahead - time skipe - they are stil together. So for me it fits into the story.

Another point mentioned above is that i used this to refindvstorys I've read before and didn't know the name of but remembered them by plot ore time skip. Just today I was searching for a story I've read before, where a woman "curses" her high school love to have hear daughter fall in love with her. Somewhere in the story there is a NOTABLE time skipe. No idea what the story was called.

On the other hand I'm kinda thinking you deleated a tag which I found kinda relevant while I'm looking at the tag list coming across tags like:

• communism
  • conspicious white fluid on page 26
  • dicks on page 8
  • dicks on page 11, 13
  • dicks on page 12
  • dicks on page 13
  • dicks on page 17
  • dicks on page 18-19
  • dicks on page 22-23
  • dicks on page 28
  • dicks on page 35
  • futanari on page 10
  • futanari on page 13
  • futanari on page 29
  • guro on page 16
  • het on page 15
  • het on page 21
  • het on page 25
  • het on page 26
  • het rape on page 1
  • hugh jackman
  • imaginary futanary
  • lots of kotori
  • m night shyamalan
  • nipples on page 16
  • not yaoi
  • onions (with an interesting but useless describtion of onions cO)
  • robot dicks on page 13
  • spoilers on page 2
  • telling twins apart

and I'm just wondering if it ain't a bit hypocritical discussing and deleating "time skip"...

Btw could someone give me a complete list of the chapters that featured the time skip tag? I'd like to save them in a list...

last edited at May 19, 2016 9:06PM

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Another point mentioned above is that i used this to refindvstorys I've read before and didn't know the name of but remembered them by plot ore time skip. Just today I was searching for a story I've read before, where a woman "curses" her high school love to have hear daughter fall in love with her. Somewhere in the story there is a NOTABLE time skipe. No idea what the story was called.

Here it is The Structural Formula of First Love.

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

Well the big difference with those are that they're mostly just dumb joke tags, only on one release and little else. Whereas the Time skip was a more serious tag, one whose use was a lot more general and could be tagged on a huge number of things, while also being for most users it seems, pretty much useless. Nothing else is gonna get tagged or requested to be tagged Hugh Jackman. But a ton of other things can be tagged "Time Skip", regardless of how prominent it was.

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

Well the big difference with those are that they're mostly just dumb joke tags, only on one release and little else. Whereas the Time skip was a more serious tag, one whose use was a lot more general and could be tagged on a huge number of things, while also being for most users it seems, pretty much useless. Nothing else is gonna get tagged or requested to be tagged Hugh Jackman. But a ton of other things can be tagged "Time Skip", regardless of how prominent it was.

I'm sory but whats the point of having "dumb joke tags" added? For the shits and giggles? That's maybe funny the first time. I really don't get this argumentation. So your deleting time skip because there could be too much added? Whats the point of having a "yuri" tag? I mean, 90% added is yuri. Wouldn't it be easier to make a "no yuri" tag and delete yuri? Nothing against the tag, but in comparison it seem more useless. There is so much added to it, you can't even search something by using this tag. On the other hand, I would define a "time skip" as a notable time fast forwarded in a story - regardles of how long the part is that follows the time skip. The opposite would be a flashback - going back in a story just to end up in the present again.
I suggested a few "time skips" myself and even reading the once tagged already I never found a story where I thought it was misplaced. I can't remember how many stories where tagged, but I don't think there were THAT many of them. Maybe ocassionally there would be an old story reread and the tag suggested or a new story uploaded with the tag added, but from my perspective it doesn't seem like that much work.

To give an example: the story linked above would be a good example of a time skip. 1st arc the mc in highschool with pregnant crush, 2nd arc years later, she has a job and the "cursed child" comes after her. They make a promise to see each other years later und finally the child now grown up (18?) comes back to her. I would consider this a time skip.

Maybe the tag could be a bit general, but maybe discussing a few rules would be better than deleating the tag alltogether. And - don't get me wrong - but shouldn't mods check suggestions? So there can't be added randomly. But if a tag is suggested, the user suggesting it may have some thoughts, WHY this tag should fit, so hearing the arguments and checking them could influence tagging something.

Here it is The Structural Formula of First Love.

Thx. :)

last edited at May 19, 2016 11:02PM

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

It doesn't serve as much purpose as most other tags when it comes to searching.
What are you searching for when you search for yuri? At least a relationship involving two women.
What are you searching for when you search for time skip? An indescript amount of time separating a present to a future, which will vary in swaths of time from weeks to years. Occurs somewhat uncommonly in doujins? This tag won't suddenly make you enjoy what you've read (and you're searching to find stuff you'd like which a time skip doesn't fix if you dislike everything you read beforehand). Sure, it fit a few things, but we're not tagging just because it fit (we're not a -booru) as it's supposed to inform the user in a more meaningful way.
Dumb joke tags started with me, and continue because we're not against them. I was asked if I was for or against time skip and I voted against. The tag system isn't clean, pure, or not full of hypocrisy, but it works well enough for what we're intending it to do. We do take user suggestions (hell DrP waited 3 weeks for someone to fight for the tag but no dice... until now?), but the end say remains within the staff.
If we do decide to reinstate the tag, we'd definitely have to put a more strict definition on it than nothing at all.

last edited at May 20, 2016 12:06AM

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

Essentially, yeah. Like MrE said, the difference is that Time Skip was not, for the most part it seems, useful to anyone as either a content advertisement/recommendation (oh this has Time Skip? ive gotta read it) or a description to help find it.

I think it's also worth mentioning that one release you thought was deserving of the tag was http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/blueberry_birthday due to this one panel at the end http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/blueberry_birthday#28 . It kind of summed up the whole problem of the tag really: that it can be tagged to a huge number of things, but with seemingly no value. It'd be like making a Pony Tail tag for releases in which people have ponytails.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

MrEngenious posted:

We do take user suggestions (hell DrP waited 3 weeks for someone to fight for the tag but no dice... until now?), but the end say remains within the staff.

People might've missed it. I usually would open a thread like this when I check the forums but I somehow didn't even see this one until it was linked in the site suggestions thread.

And personally I don't think it's really worth deleting but I also don't find it incredibly useful either. I could see people finding it annoying to just skip ahead in some contexts and avoid a story for it or something.

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

MrEngenious

It doesn't serve as much purpose as most other tags when it comes to searching.
What are you searching for when you search for yuri? At least a relationship involving two women.
What are you searching for when you search for time skip? An indescript amount of time separating a present to a future, which will vary in swaths of time from weeks to years. Occurs somewhat uncommonly in doujins? This tag won't suddenly make you enjoy what you've read (and you're searching to find stuff you'd like which a time skip doesn't fix if you dislike everything you read beforehand). Sure, it fit a few things, but we're not tagging just because it fit (we're not a -booru) as it's supposed to inform the user in a more meaningful way.

If you start arguing this way, there are enough other tags that don't serve a clean purpose. For example: What about age gap? What's an age gap? Maybe 10 years older? 20? 1 year? a few days? who defines how long the gap has to be? Shell we get rid of it, too? Maybe I've got the wrong idea about tags, but for me those tags are meant to be a way to sort stories. To categorize them. You're not a board that ain't "tagging just because it fits as it's supposed to inform the user in a more meaningful way"? Sry for the harsh words, but that's kinda bullshit. What's the tag "Nice Boat" telling me as a reader? Or "Onions"? Or any number of other tags? Back to the start: what's the tag "yuri" telling me?

At least a relationship involving two women.

Well yeah. I'm on Dynasty. I'm kinda expecting that. That's why I'm here for. This has no purpose at all. A "No Yuri" Tag would tell me as the reader more about a story than a "Yuri" Tag.

Dumb joke tags started with me, and continue because we're not against them. I was asked if I was for or against time skip and I voted against. The tag system isn't clean, pure, or not full of hypocrisy, but it works well enough for what we're intending it to do.

Again: You've made several tags, that have absolutely no purpose but for shits an giggles. And even that only works when it's still new. But you're getting rid of a story tag. At least that's it in MY eyes. As I said above a time skip for me is a notable skip in the time flow of a story regardless of the length after the skip, where the reader get additional information about the plot or a pairing. Yes, this could be even only one panel as in the story mentioned above. The last panel shows the two of them years from the original time line stil together as a pair. Again, a time skip that is NOT covered by the story. http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/born_this_way would be an example worth discussing that would need a few rules. I personally wouldn't call it a time skip since the time if not really skipped but "fast forwarded" within the story itself.

We do take user suggestions (hell DrP waited 3 weeks for someone to fight for the tag but no dice... until now?), but the end say remains within the staff.

As said on the other tread: maybe it would be a good idea to announce - you've got the system already to make announcements on the front page - such discussions. Yeah, maybe he waited 3 weeks. But I think most users don't regularly read the forum. Yes, it's kinda our fault, too, but a little reminder that there IS a discussion about deleting a tag ain't that hard, is it?

If we do decide to reinstate the tag, we'd definitely have to put a more strict definition on it than nothing at all.

You take user suggestions? Nice. I'm suggesting the recreation of the time skip tag and a discussion about some rules for this tag. On the other hand I'm suggesting the discussion about those - I think I'll just call them "shits and giggles tags" from now on that serve absolutely no purpose at all.

drpepperfan

Essentially, yeah. Like MrE said, the difference is that Time Skip was not, for the most part it seems, useful to anyone as either a content advertisement/recommendation (oh this has Time Skip? ive gotta read it) or a description to help find it.

Just a question: where do you get the numbers from? I mean, if it wasn't useful for most of the people you surly must have questioned all the users? Can't remember getting a survey tho... If you're regarding to this thread here, I don't really think 5 ppl are really a majority of anything.

I think it's also worth mentioning that one release you thought was deserving of the tag was http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/blueberry_birthday due to this one panel at the end http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/blueberry_birthday#28 . It kind of summed up the whole problem of the tag really: that it can be tagged to a huge number of things, but with seemingly no value. It'd be like making a Pony Tail tag for releases in which people have ponytails.

I still can't really see the problem here, but even IF this is a problem, it would require making rules for tags and not deleting them altogether. As mentioned before: There are a number of tags that have absolutely no purpose at all - looking at the shits an giggles tags or the ones I mentioned above. No one cares about them. So why care about the time skip? I'm sorry, but I really don't seem to get the problem with this tag. Make some rules, discuss them and have mods check new suggestions for this tag according to the rules. I have no clue how much work checking the suggestions is, but I think of it as something rather easy. I mean... you're making tags for the shits and giggles, so checking other tags doesn't seem THAT much work. If it is, maybe get some more mods to do the work. Hell I'm online several times a day on dynasty, sometimes for hours. I'd volunteer if you'd need help.

last edited at May 20, 2016 9:16AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.