Forum › Posts by Cyfer

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Is this the same? https://dynasty-scans.com/anthologies/an_absurd_relationship_collection

Almost, but tank collection includes Tragic Love Film, and is missing the most recent chapter.

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

How fast we can get it out may vary depending on how well the anons cooperate, but /u/ is currently working on getting this series done.

39 & 40 had full translation scripts. Has Comet officially dropped this?

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

I vote against tags which spoil. In this case it ruins a huge part of the emotional delivery of the story.

Something I thought about too. I'll remove Tragedy for now, but mods can decide later whether to reinstate that.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

I followed Cyfer's directions above. I had to give it my full Japanese proxy address including phone number, but I suddenly have access to the Japanese kindles! Thanks Cyfer. I didn't have to change anything in my American Amazon.com account.

No problem! It's a nice thing, being able to buy kindle tanks off Amazon. Although for some reason Hakusensha has a horrible lag between when they release a physical tank and when they release the Kindle version...

Now that the first issue is out, I wonder if it might make sense to repoint this thread over to here, just to make it easier to find?

last edited at Feb 28, 2017 10:54PM

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

^ Glad to hear it...kind of unfortunate that she re-released most of her old works recently making some of my scans redundant, haha.

Yeah we noticed that too... I mean, on the one hand it's nice to see stuff re-released, but on the other, all that work...

We're will still using your scans, though, since we already have them and they're probably(?) clean.

last edited at Feb 24, 2017 7:18PM

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

3000 yuri that will remain untranslated, this hurts more than a silver arrow piercing my yuri lover heart.

Take away collecting things that were already translated (Takemiya Jin, Shuninta, etc.) and non-yuri, maybe more like 1800. Bring it down to 1400 for yuri that isn't complete trash (those are the best ones though imo). The original yuri doujinshi market has some interesting hidden gems, but there's a lot of it that ranges from good to mediocre.

And some of those are Takemiya Jin works that are still waiting be translated...

Seriously, Shadow and I are both really grateful for those doujins, and we feel bad that we haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet. They will definitely be done at some point, but in the meantime we just wanted to say that it was awesome working with you.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

I'm not sure what it's about at all. I live in Sweden, and it won't let me purchase anything. A friend lives in Canada, and can purchase things just fine. Another friend lives in the US, and also gets his purchases blocked. :/

Could be a region settings problem. If you go to Your Account>Digital Content>Manage Your Content and Devices>Settings, there should be an option to select region. That needs to be set to Japan - possibly not only for Amazon.co.jp, but for all Amazon accounts you have affiliated with whatever email address you have for Amazon.co.jp.

You may also need a Japanese mailing address as your primary delivery address in Amazon.co.jp. You shouldn't need a Japanese payment address.

I say "may" and "possibly" because my settings are working for me right now and I'm not touching anything that might hinder my access to Amazon.co.jp digital content. If you're still having trouble, you could always try creating a fresh account using a JP address.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Ropponmatsu posted:

I'll think about it, if it doesn't eventually become available on ebook japan. :/

Well it is too late now, cos the 1 issue was available to dl only till 02.18 ;/

During the window it's available to download, you should be able to sign up for the "Normal level" for one month (¥500), download it as a PDF, and then stop your recurring payments.

(It does explicitly say on their Enty page you can support for one month only)

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

@Ropponmatsu
Hey, as long as we're on the subject, is there a Japanese word for "Master"/"Mistress" that is specific to BDSM, and is not widely used outside of that context? Or do they just use "Sensei" for that?

Asking for a friend.

Try here or here.

The most common, as far as I'm aware, are the words ojou-sama (f) and goshujin-sama (m)

Ojou-sama is usually only used for young girls. Joou-sama ("Queen") is the term you'd want for "Mistress" more generally.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Where part B at?

Here.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

pg 12

was the speech bubble empty in the raw?

It didn't have any text, but it's still supposed to have an ellipsis; thanks for pointing it out.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Oh man, those old chicken tonight ads. (Haha, was she singing some old Japanese ad jingle in the original?)

She was literally singing, "Tonight's dinner is croquette," which doesn't appear to be a reference to anything. But as soon as I read that, the "chicken tonight" song popper into my head, so you got that.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

I wonder if the page 00b is a spoiler? I'm not sure if the girl on the right is the MC after some time, or just a different story's girl..

Those characters are from 君恋し唄 . I wouldn't normally expect anything in the front material to qualify as spoilers.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

I'm assuming she meant to say "peekin'", not "peakin'"

Yeah, we'll fix it later.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

This probably came up already, but it would be really handy if on author pages "series" and "anthologies" were grouped into separate categories.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

You'll have to ask someone who actually understands Japanese if you want to know about the technical details, but there's one yuri-related question I can sum up. The interviewer points out that Nakatani draws a lot of yuri art and it's interesting to compare her answer to what she says today. She basically answers that she thought drawing girls was fun but didn't set out to draw yuri (she also goes on a rant about misleading user-added Pixiv tags), she just wanted to draw Touhou characters and their relationships to each other and they happened to be almost all girls. Then she adds that she used to draw mainly BL.

Well, the context of that remark is that the question is, "The first stuff you uploaded to Pixiv was yuri, your manga are yuri, and everything you upload with a couple girls in it will definitely be tagged "yuri"? What is yuri to you?"

Her answer is that she only uses the yuri tag as a warning for people that might not want to see yuri. The problem is that users keep tagging everything with two girls in it "yuri," so the tag reappears even if she erases it. Her point here is just that to her, yuri is something sexual or at least romantic, and not just something with two girls in it.

She doesn't really come across as ambivalent about yuri, though—she notes that's drawn a lot, and in the Yagakimi extra she recalls wanting to draw more (specifically, a work focused more on the romance itself). She just notes (both here and in Yagakimi) that in general her works focused on relationships between girls, and that it's only a subset of those that she would call yuri—and yet somehow people started calling her a yuri artist and labeling all her work as yuri.

If you read it in the context of things like this other interview, you can start to see what she's getting at: increasingly, things are labelled "yuri" just because their core cast (or entire cast) is female and they act kinda flirty with each other. For Nio, it's not yuri unless they fuck. Kissing is probably fine too.

Cyfer Uploader
Prism discussion 06 Feb 02:48
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Actually, I was curious about attitudes about crowdfunding in Japan, given that editors over there don't seem to have a problem with self-publishing (doujins) at all. And of course, a lot of established artists don't seem to have any qualms about being involved with Galette destroying their careers, including the often-self published Takemiya Jin.

As far as I can tell, publishers don't care, but the basic economy is pretty different. Japan had long had significant support networks for putting together creative teams (school clubs are a big one) and markets to sell your creations. If I had to guess, I'd say one of the reasons crowdfunding for things like comics, VNs and doujin games first got big here in part because of the lack of a Comiket. Not only that, but selling doujins at events is a way to get noticed by publishers and transition to being a pro.

That said, obviously this wouldn't apply to Prism, since it's not actually his. The rights to the series, at least from an ethical point of view, belong to whoever currently owns Tsubomi's assets

Houbunsha. They do everything with "Manga Time."

if Shou wanted to revisit the girls he'd need to get their okay on it. Which I'd guess is unlikely.

Nah, he could probably continue it as a doujinshi anytime (see: Chouchou Nannan). It might not look good to publishers, though, given the circumstances.

It couldn't be serialised without the rights being purchased, though, and I doubt anybody would touch it.

Cyfer Uploader
Spoilers discussion 06 Feb 00:26
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Okay, but ... how many doujins would not be spoiler? I appreciate the arguments being made in favour of the tag, but it seems like they would cover most doujins. I mean, the big reveal when you get to the end of EoSD is that the person responsible for the scarlet mist incident is a vampire named Remillia Scarlet, and spoiler-proofing that felt a little bit ridiculous.

Cyfer Uploader
Prism discussion 06 Feb 00:17
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

If he went and wrote manga while being financed by the public, editors in Japan would cease to work with him.

About that...

Oh shit, I'm sorry! I hit edit instead of quote by accident and deleted parts of your message. Can you check if you still have it in your cache?

Ah, no worries. I still had a tab open on that page.

Thank goodness for that! Again, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

It was hardly an inconvenience. Anyway, you were saying?

Cyfer Uploader
Prism discussion 05 Feb 23:21
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

If he went and wrote manga while being financed by the public, editors in Japan would cease to work with him.

About that...

Oh shit, I'm sorry! I hit edit instead of quote by accident and deleted parts of your message. Can you check if you still have it in your cache?

Ah, no worries. I still had a tab open on that page.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

I know it's super late but thanks for the news and so on, Cyfer! You're my hero.

So hype. Hope it garners some success.

No later than my reply, and you're welcome!

I'll note that for anyone that wants a physical copy, you'll probably have to order through Amazon—they're not doing international shipments.

I mean, if you were at the Autograph level they'd probably find a way, but...

Cyfer Uploader
Prism discussion 05 Feb 22:04
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

I still revisite the series from time to time because it's one of my favourites. The fact it got cancelled saddens me but what I really don't understand is why the didn't let him finish his story. It seems that it could have ended in one chapter without feeling to rushed.

This tends to get overlooked, but: the series was never officially cancelled.* It was "put on hold while the magazine investigates allegations."

And then the magazine got cancelled because of poor sales.

The moral of the story is: buy manga.

*As far as I know. They certainly never announced a formal cancellation on the magazine's website before Tsubomi died.

About that...

This does not mean you should get your hopes up about Prism, though.

last edited at Feb 5, 2017 11:21PM

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

The main font we (Kouyuri), and I believe most other scanlation groups use, is CC Wild Words.

All hail Wild Words.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

You know I should've realized that it would get dark...

The Abuse, Bullying and Tragedy tags might have been a giveaway there.

Needs more tags.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

The series picks up directly where that story left off,

There's a sequel chapter to Black Yaggy that comes before Strange Babies.

Wait, there is? What's it called?

Also, lol at me getting so confused by canon that I lost track of how many chapters there've been. I even looked back at the series page several times while writing, so I don't even know how I thought we were on chapter four and not chapter three.

劇薬まどれーぬとブラックヤギー (Medicine Sweet and Black Yaggy, etc.). It's in the Black Yaggy tank, but hasn't been translated.