Forum › Stretch discussion

joined Feb 15, 2013

Wtf is this crap!!!

Screenshot_7
joined Aug 22, 2014

Well, I liked the ending (i know i'm not the only one) and I'll miss this piece of teasing garbage. I'll miss it so much. </3

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Yup, it's confirmed. Show is still pissed at the yuri community about Prism.

I don't blame him...

I believe this, too. By the way, it's not like all I read is yuri - not at all. But I also thought this series in particular set up Ran and Keiko as, to use the hackneyed term, soul-mates. Keiko's putting on a front with Ran after her terrible first sexual experience, her empty relationship with her fiance, etc., etc. And there were many, many, many elements that make no sense unless you're building up a relationship between them that's romantic.

I certainly don't expect every series I read that involves women, or women friends, to be yuri. But I consider it gaslighting people to pretend that, essentially, bait-and-switch wasn't part of this series and they were only seeing it because of yuri goggles.

The creator is lazy but inventive, IMO. I wonder if it's not the whole manga industry Shou is a little angry at. I also doubt he did the shameful mangas out of a devotion to the genre, it was almost certainly guaranteed income. My reaction was: the hentai manga were really bad and should be held against him, it makes you question where his head's really at. Tracing an ad and then altering it substantially? you've gotta be kidding me. that's intellectual property inhibiting creativity, if anything. I was on his side 100% and still am.

Side note: is Ran really going to make it through medical school without Keiko, considering her job and how much she drinks?

Other Side Note: Is it still the case that young Japanese hate LDRs and believe out of sight is out of mind, forever?

Isuke%20inukai
joined May 29, 2014

END?
I LIKE THE ENDING BUT THAT'S NOT ENOUGH
I'M SO SAD.

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

naked bath hugs = End

joined Jan 14, 2015

we are so salty even tho we knew that this isnt gonna be yuri.

Lg1wyutq
joined Mar 5, 2015

I feel like throwing the three volumes I bought in the trash, considering how much potential was wasted here. I've never seen something so lazy, yuri-end or otherwise.

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

Well, I liked the ending (i know i'm not the only one) and I'll miss this piece of teasing garbage. I'll miss it so much. </3

I liked the ending actually. Maybe it's because I am wholeheartedly expecting a sequel and the ending is fine as long as it's just for this part of their lives. In a long term story this is the perfect setup for a time skip.

If there is no sequel hopefully I will have let it slip my mind before finding out.

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

Seriously? Yuri bait and switch aside, feels so rushed that hurts.
For me felt like the equivalent of ending a roleplaying campaign with "Rocks fall, everyone dies."

joined Oct 12, 2013

Yup, it's confirmed. Show is still pissed at the yuri community about Prism.

I don't blame him...

I believe this, too.

The yuri community? As far as I know it was some sperg from twitter that noticed it and made a fuss. Nothing to do with the 'yuri community'. It's himself and his publishers he should rightfully be pissed at.

The creator is lazy but inventive, IMO. I wonder if it's not the whole manga industry Shou is a little angry at. I also doubt he did the shameful mangas out of a devotion to the genre, it was almost certainly guaranteed income. My reaction was: the hentai manga were really bad and should be held against him, it makes you question where his head's really at. Tracing an ad and then altering it substantially? you've gotta be kidding me. that's intellectual property inhibiting creativity, if anything. I was on his side 100% and still am.

Also, what even?

Diiis
joined Sep 14, 2015

Pretend they kiss.

Screenshot_7
joined Aug 22, 2014

Seriously? Yuri bait and switch aside, feels so rushed that hurts.
For me felt like the equivalent of ending a roleplaying campaign with "Rocks fall, everyone dies."

Well, I think it reflects reality just fine. Really, how many times do we get a happy ending in real life? Plus.. this "rushed goodbyes" happen a lot on a daily basis, life IS that fast, even more so when you have to work and do adult stuff like Ran and Keiko.

Don't get me wrong, i would have loved a yuri ending, but i'm totally okay with this last chapter, it fits the story just fine.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Well, I think it reflects reality just fine. Really, how many times do we get a happy ending in real life? Plus.. this "rushed goodbyes" happen a lot on a daily basis, life IS that fast, even more so when you have to work and do adult stuff like Ran and Keiko.

Had the story so much as shown a reason for Keiko to be moving away, or done a bit more to resolve the unsaid, I don't think the comments here would be so negative. Much of the last volume was spent on teasing and fanservice, then suddenly it ended without much explanation.

It's fair to like it, but that's just my opinion on why some - who were perfectly okay without yuri - did not.

Also in case it goes without saying, /opinons. And I do think people will view the series rather differently in retrospect (I think I will, at least).

last edited at Oct 15, 2015 12:46AM

joined Aug 23, 2013

I was... expecting something and.

Wow.

Just wow.

Not a single mention about what has become of their lives? All that backstory and not even a conclusion? Like whatever became of Ran or Keiko after they parted? How it has gone for them? Like Ran losing her father and coming to terms with her mother, or Keiko settling things (ie breaking up for good) with her ex and starting a new life in her new place? At least show us something about Ran becoming a doctor or something... This didn't feel like a proper ending for me.

last edited at Oct 15, 2015 1:06AM

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

GUYS GUYS he is just trolling us! right? hahahaha :D Y..Yeah we will get another part dont worry and then they will hug and kiss and become official girlfriends ;.;

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I enjoyed the manga, did not bite much into the bait (but I did enjoy reading the comments about it, and sometimes participating in the nonsense :p), strenght of the manga was the character-driven writing, it made the characters feel very much like real people, like taking a peek at their daily life and interactions. It felt so natural and flowed pretty well.

My problem with the last few chapters is that it is so clearly written: ok, gotta end this manga with these set of chapters. It did not fit with the rest of the series.

Anyways, all that aside, as someone who loves slice of life, I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Just makes me wish there was more character-driven yuri with writing of such good quality.

joined Apr 16, 2013

Well, it was a pleasure riding this Shou train with you all but we've come to our stop. I'm quite glad too. Don't know if my heart could take such teasing and anticipation. Till the next ride guys.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

We can also guess that BGS wasn't the right magazine for a yuri story and Shou had his hands tied and could not go the yuri route. It's a seinen magazine and maybe his editor refrained him from going gay romance.

If there's a sequel, it will be, hopefully, in a suitable publication.

last edited at Oct 15, 2015 1:55AM

Top%20tier
joined May 13, 2015

what the hell, this cannot be the end.

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

The ending was rushed... thus BAD. PERIOD.

Femshep%20x%20liara%20avatar
joined Dec 8, 2013

From the yawaspi page, afterword from Shou translated by the guy from Boon.

This is the end of Ran and Keiko's living together.

It's gotten a lot longer than planned, but it's thanks to the readers' comments that I was able to draw 45 chapters. Thank you very much.

I'm planning on drawing more for the 4th volume than for the other volumes. There might even be a sequel. Please look forward to it.

WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE ACKNOWLEDGING THIS?? I NEARLY MISSED IT!!!

While the "END." at the... end.... made my stomach drop, I am so super happy to see this continue. I don't necessarily feel baited, but I want a proper conclusion (okay I want them to end up together).

EDIT: Absence makes the heart grow fonder. ;-;

EDIT 2: Shou pls. I hurt.

last edited at Oct 15, 2015 2:32AM

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

Maybe shou never planned it to be 45 chapters, maybe he was just planning on writing a short series, but due to its popularity he was asked to draw more and evantually ran out of idea. Or maybe he was forced by the publisher to change the ending, that's why the last few chapters was kind of crappy. Or maybe he just got bored and stopped giving a crap about this series.
I liked this series, but if this is how the ending is, rushed, and leaving many things unresolved, it would've been better if the whole series was just about teaching you how to stretch your body not your feelings

last edited at Oct 15, 2015 2:33AM

Femshep%20x%20liara%20avatar
joined Dec 8, 2013

it would've been better if the whole series was just about teaching you how to stretch your body not your feelings

Your words speak to me. ;-;

But it can't be over! But why would Shou write "END" if he plans an even longer 4th volume and possibly a sequel?? SHOU, PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR MADNESS!!!!

last edited at Oct 15, 2015 2:35AM

7236303-l
joined Jul 12, 2014

As an artist, I think I understand where his plagiarism problem comes from. See, where I studied art, we didn't have required courses on copyright law. I had to learn how to identify plagiarism by studying research writing, and I can tell you that plagiarism, technically, is any time that an original work is referenced without attributing proper credit. This definition applies to any medium, so whether you're writing and you use a quote, data or inference from some published material, or you're an artist and you borrow a pose, composition or any element from a piece of commercial work, if you don't credit the original, then it's plagiarism.

As a student, we all did this. We all reproduced, altered and repurposed published work by established artists. That's not a problem for student and non-commercial work, and it's also not a problem if you have permission from the copyright holders. But it can become a crutch. At some point, you need to be taught about ethics and artistic integrity--because you're not born with that knowledge--but clearly not everyone is.

What I find amazing is the difference in attitudes regarding plagiarism between the Japanese comic industry, which fired Shou for plagiarizing art and cancelled his series, and the American comic industry, which has let plagiarists like Greg Land get away with it for years.

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

Sudden time skip .. and now this ending. I'm actually a little upset about this :/ I really liked this one, and ... THIS IS JUST CRUEL.
Well.. At least its not a sad ending but rather happy.. (not the kind of happy we were all hoping for) But still, happy.

To reply you must either login or sign up.