Forum › Online Reader Suggestions for Improvement

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Scat is attributed to Love Slave Ch05 which is mostly appropriate warning for readers.
Once this error is fixed in the back-end we can more easily clean out unused/scarcely used tags.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Also can you make it so that the filesizes are smaller for the mobile site, or have a direct link to the image, so that it doesn't crash as often.

Not entirely sure how I want to deal with this.

Part of the reasons behind the existence of our reader while so many others exist is to maintain image quality. Many other online readers resize and compress the shit out of pages into shitty JPGs. That is something we want to avoid and just serve up the image as they are released by their scanlators. This works a large majority of the time, and we have no interest in reducing those file sizes at all.

Issues do occur though when scanlators release horribly optimized images, that have pages that are multiple megabytes large. Its these chapters I want to find someway to address. Two options I have though of so far are a way to manually tell a chapter to resize the images to a certain size, or an automatic solution that if a page is over X (maybe 2000px tall or 2 megabytes) it resizes it.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

edit: I just noticed a bug. If you go to a series, the tags won't show up. They'll appear if you switch to another page (apart of the home page) and back to the series. This happens in the mobile site, I don't have access to PC right now.

I am not really sure what you are referring to, I see tags just fine on series pages. Could you take a screenshot of what you are trying to describe please.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

I plan to make more mobile improvements (including bringing the select box page navigation back). I just been busy on improvements on the backend, and minor bug fixes.

Even though I want as good mobile support as possible, it is always going to be a lower priority.

last edited at Feb 3, 2013 9:42PM

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

For now, do not request series/chapters/groups for upload until the new suggestion system comes in place for it please. so if new ideas/discoveries pop in that you want to see on the reader, keep it on a reminder for later :D
Not that we don't want you requesting it, just trying to keep this topic a bit more organized.

last edited at Feb 3, 2013 10:11PM

joined Jan 30, 2013

edit: I just noticed a bug. If you go to a series, the tags won't show up. They'll appear if you switch to another page (apart of the home page) and back to the series. This happens in the mobile site, I don't have access to PC right now.

I am not really sure what you are referring to, I see tags just fine on series pages. Could you take a screenshot of what you are trying to describe please.

Your wish is my command.
Note: It may be browser-related. It happes on the Android stock browser from 4.2 Jelly Bean, Dolphin Browser, Tint Browser, but not on Opera Mobile or Firefox.

Link, because I didn't manage to insert the picture with markdown

edit:

I partially disagree that science babies should be removed. While it serves almost no purpose in describing the chapter/series properly, it's something we find entertaining due to yuri fandom. We'll take it into consideration if the desire to remove it is common enough amongst people or if you can provide a compelling argument for its removal.

"No purpose in describing...". That's my point. But if you don't want to remove it, all right, it's your decision.

edit2:
Which leads me to another idea how to improve the reader. A lot of the series, let alone the chapters, don't have summaries. Maybe you should open a thread where motivated readers can post their suggestions. Or just copy it from mangaupdates.

edit3 and hopefully the last one:
I found another example of redundant tags: NSFW, lots_of_sex, moderate_amounts_of_sex, hot_lesbian_sex. Now, what is the difference between lots_of or moderate? The borders are blurry, especially if it's a oneshot.
hot_lesbian_sex is a subcategory of lots_of_sex/moderate_amounts_of sex, but that also implies that a chapter that only has the two latter tags includes sex that isn't hot and lesbian. And quite frankly, I do not want to read that stuff on dynasty or at all, for that matter. I'll stick to comedy and drama.
Not to mention that NSFW (virtually always) equals sex.
Guns and explosions is a subcategory of action.
Not_yaoi should be a precondition.
The list goes on.

I hope that I don't bother you too much. It's just that changes can be chances as well and there's always room for improvement. I also hope that the text was comprehensible, English isn't my native language.

last edited at Feb 4, 2013 11:08AM

Page-11
Dynasty Scans
joined Feb 14, 2011

I found another example of redundant tags: NSFW, lots_of_sex, moderate_amounts_of_sex, hot_lesbian_sex. Now, what is the difference between lots_of or moderate? The borders are blurry, especially if it's a oneshot.
hot_lesbian_sex is a subcategory of lots_of_sex/moderate_amounts_of sex, but that also implies that a chapter that only has the two latter tags includes sex that isn't hot and lesbian. And quite frankly, I do not want to read that stuff on dynasty or at all, for that matter. I'll stick to comedy and drama.
Not to mention that NSFW (virtually always) equals sex.
Guns and explosions is a subcategory of action.
Not_yaoi should be a precondition.
The list goes on.

I hope that I don't bother you too much. It's just that changes can be chances as well and there's always room for improvement. I also hope that the text was comprehensible, English isn't my native language.

I'm still working on improving the tag database.
For your suggestions:
-The sex tags will be cleaned up, but will take some work to organize properly. NSFW is likely going to stay regardless, as not all released considered to be NSFW have sex in them.

-Not_yaoi is a joke tag tadded to a single gender bender april's fools release. http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/silky_cherry_honey

-Guns and explosions is also a specific tag for Bakuretsu Tenshi, which I'm going to leave alone for the time being.

-All of the tags and the reasoning behind them will also be explained soon through a list of some sort.

TL;DR: We're all working on making stuff better, it will just take some time.

joined Jan 30, 2013

All right, I just think that tags created for one specific series are kind of pointless, they should target describe a common trait of a group of series.
Oh and do you intend to do something about the pairings tags?

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Which leads me to another idea how to improve the reader. A lot of the series, let alone the chapters, don't have summaries. Maybe you should open a thread where motivated readers can post their suggestions. Or just copy it from mangaupdates.

This was always really an issue of having someone actually input all the descriptions. I implemented being able to suggest a description to the tag suggestion feature.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

All right, I just think that tags created for one specific series are kind of pointless, they should target describe a common trait of a group of series.

While for the most part that is what we are striving for, there will always be exceptions. Some chapters/series have something quite unique/different about them that is worth their own tag to inform the reader beforehand.

Oh and do you intend to do something about the pairings tags?

What do you think needs to be done about them?

last edited at Feb 4, 2013 1:32PM

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

We're not trying to be official or 100% professional with our tags, but we do realize that it's quite a mess.
We're not going to do away with joke tags, but many tags will get a look over in an attempt to reduce confusion.
And sometimes unique tags are... unique. Just because it can't be applied to other things doesn't necessarily mean it should be removed~

last edited at Feb 4, 2013 2:05PM

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

One thing I've been wondering about pairing tags is, what order are the characters listed in? Taking Touhou as a prominent example, which character gets placed in the listing of names? Alphabetically first? How major a character they are?

It's a tricky subject, cause while there are some pairings one version would work for, there would be others it wouldn't (if alphabetical, one pairing would be Ran X Yukari.....which just feels wrong to write down)

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

I'm just as confused as you are when I make the pairing tags. I try to be alphabetical, but some of the older tags were based having the more common character first for semi-organization, like having Marisa x Someone multiple times on the old reader for easier finding. It's certainly a mess, but I think that true alphabetical is our goal.

joined Jan 30, 2013

IMO, tags must fulfill a 2 conditions (maybe more?):
1. They must give the user a general characterization without going into too much detail. For instance, a tag called "Manga" would be pointless, but a tag called "A falls in love with B, who is already engaged so A shoots him/herself" would be pointless too.
I think that pairings are already too specific and it'd be better to refer to the doujin.

1. They have to be universally known. And most of the time, I don't even know the pairing! It might as well be Alex_x_Lucy and I still don't know Alex nor Lucy. Maybe that's because of me, but I'm sure that there are more people out there who also don't have a clue.

Apart from that, there are just too many pairings. Too many. Just mark the x's with your browser's search function. I guess that roughly 60% of all tags are pairings.

My suggestion (and I already posted this somewhere in this thread): Create a level system. Level1 tags could be drama, comedy, school life and so on, in contrast to Level2 tags, which are more specific, such as pairings.
The tag overview would only show the Level1 tags whereas Level2 tags would only appear on the doujin's overview page.

I don't know whether it would be too much effort, but technically, you only need to introduce a new variable, right?

PS @omnscient0: This is probably the first time ever I've seen an admin double-post :O

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

I really think removing specific pairings is a very very silly idea. I mean, it may not effect you personally, but for a lot of people the main reason to be on this site is those pairings! And seeing as so many people have specific favourites to read about (For me it's Youmu X Yuyuko, Alice X Marisa, and Suika X Parsee, a sadly underused ship -n-), specific pairing tags are super important!

I see no reason at all to remove them.

joined Jan 30, 2013

I don't want to remove them, I want them to show up somewhere else. If you like a specific pairing in a specific doujin, go to its specific page. You probably have it bookmarked anyway.

edit: Like I said, the pairings are too specific. Maybe you like Youmu X Yuyuko, Alice X Marisa, and Suika X Parsee but what about the 300 other pairings?

last edited at Feb 4, 2013 2:51PM

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Aletto, I am not really seeing what you are trying to improve by those changes. Is it that there are too many results on http://dynasty-scans.com/tags which makes it hard to browse tags?

joined Jan 30, 2013

Basically, yes.

edit: I reread my posts and with hindsight, I admit that it was partially not clear enough (it's hard to express your thoughts in a foreign language). If you're already reading a chapter you'll probably not care about the tags at all. But if you're looking for a new interesting series using the tags, you'll just stand there, dumbfounded, waiting for the sheer mass of tags to strike you dead.

edit2: Hey, but isn't that exactly the reason why the tags are a mess? Is my English that bad? (Apparently yes.)

last edited at Feb 4, 2013 3:25PM

joined Feb 4, 2013

Hey hello! First of all Congratulations! The Reader looks amazing and it is very user friendly without losing functionality.

If I had to suggest something, it would be something very small, when you are browsing the manga available by tags (for e.g.) would it be possible to add a thumbnail of the cover of the manga?

For example:
Tag › Gender bender
Small Thumbnail - Idol Pretender ch11: Confirmation of Doubt by Haruse Hiroki released Jan 9 '13 Comedy Ecchi Gender bender Idol Supernatural

Small Thumbnail - Idol Pretender ch10: Immature Communication by Haruse Hiroki released Nov 4 '12 Comedy Ecchi Ecchi Gender bender Idol Supernatural

Small Thumbnail - Idol Pretender ch09: Kyoto Hide and Seek by Haruse Hiroki released Aug 31 '12 Comedy Ecchi Ecchi Gender bender Idol Supernatural
(...)
Small Thumbnail - Flower Flower ch12 by Iwami Shouko released Aug 12 '11 Aaaaaangst Dark skin Drama Fantasy Gender bender Romance Tsundere Yuri
(...)

It is not something major, but it is taxing in time... Anyway just a suggestion.
I am not extremely knowledgeable when it comes to this, but I have been a fan of yours for some time now, so if I can do anything to help out, please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Fox

last edited at Feb 4, 2013 5:39PM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Somehow "Recently Added" list shown on main page isn't synchronized - you need to go to "added" page to really see the latest additions. For example, right now it doesn't show latest Yandere Kanojo chapter.
And I would love to see return of "random" button, I'm not sure if it was widely used or not, but I liked it. I noticed it's on front page now, but refreshing front page for it fells kinda wrong.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Somehow "Recently Added" list shown on main page isn't synchronized - you need to go to "added" page to really see the latest additions. For example, right now it doesn't show latest Yandere Kanojo chapter.

This is done on purpose. The "recently added" on the homepage doesn't show items that are also on the recently released list.

And I would love to see return of "random" button, I'm not sure if it was widely used or not, but I liked it. I noticed it's on front page now, but refreshing front page for it fells kinda wrong.

I might add a link below the chapter for it. But what is wrong about refreshing the home page?

last edited at Feb 6, 2013 8:24AM

33730122-
joined Jul 2, 2011

The Dynasty app on my iPod doesn't work. When I open the app I get an error.
"Network Connection Failed. Expected status code in (200-299), got 404"
I have no idea what this error means...
Does anyone else have this problem? Or can anyone help me solve this problem?
(I don't know if this belongs in this topic, but I can't create a new topic)

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

I need to re implement the JSON API the iOS app uses to communicate with the reader. Its been a low priority because of the low amount of users of the app.

last edited at Feb 7, 2013 2:09PM

33730122-
joined Jul 2, 2011

I need to re implement the JSON API the iOS app uses to communicate with the reader. Its been a low priority because of the low amount of users of the app.

Ah, okay.
At least now I know the problem is't my iPod ^_^
Thanks for the quick reply.

Wheels150
Payapaya Scans
joined Jan 28, 2013

I vote for completely alphabetical tags. Anyone who starts off with "Shizuru x Natsuki" and gets nothing will just switch them and try again, and an alphabetical system gives you a surefire way of knowing what each pairing tag is going to be.

To reply you must either login or sign up.