Forum › Self-insert discussion

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

Oh, so self-insert means first person view. I thought it's like masturb--

Oh, nvm.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

I thought it was something completely different. AFAICT everything here (apart from this) is actually First Person Perspective. Which is not to say there are no other examples of self-insertion on Dynasty - I've certainly seen it claimed a few times, though it's usually impossible to verify.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

Speaking of examples, here's a good one. Though it might not actually qualify for the tag at all. You'll understand if you read it...

Edit: Not going to bump the thread for this one... but this maybe possibly just barely qualifies as an author self-insert, the dubious-looking panda being Nanzaki Iku's avatar.

last edited at Feb 14, 2021 5:02PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I thought it was something completely different. AFAICT everything here (apart from this) is actually First Person Perspective. Which is not to say there are no other examples of self-insertion on Dynasty - I've certainly seen it claimed a few times, though it's usually impossible to verify.

Second person point of view is what most of the tagged stories are. I believe the tag is for when the reader is directly present in the story, angling for that reader insert fic definition. Deciding if something is an author self-insert or an insert for the reader over the main character is probably a bit too subjective to actually apply the tag, but if we have works with totally featureless protagonists where the reader is supposed to stand in then please suggest the tag for them. The TVTropes article on second person is phenomenal btw and everyone should read it. Nay, you should read it.

And manga can use first person camera techniques (see the POV tag), but it's much more common for manga to portray first person with narrators using first person pronouns. Those often get loosey goosey pretty quick, but manga isn't exactly known for its literary prowess

last edited at Jun 12, 2023 5:42PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.